PDA

View Full Version : Helpful (learned) tips on how to get gold. (Part 1)

DorianGray
04-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Guys,

The following are some suggestions I can provide on how to get consistent gold victories... especially in the later scenarios. For experienced guys, these will appear rather obvious, but hopeful it will be helpful for those just starting out.

1. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of each unit. This is really, really important. (I know, pretty obvious). Also be aware of how terrain effects combat results. This includes both attacking hex terrain and defending hex terrain. (I just recently realized that putting my Ranger in a forest hex increased the damage I did attacking *out* of the hex. I was expecting it to use the *target* hex instead.)

2. Master combined arms tactics!!! This is really the core mechanics of the game. Every unit has a weakness which needs to be discovered and exploited for maximum benefit. A defense group typically requires a combined arms team to crack it. (and thus, a good mixture of units is usually the best all around build for greatest chance of success)

3. Watch the clock (turns left for gold). The game forces you to push your units every turn and to not let any idly standing by... if you want to achieve gold. You don't have to kill every enemy nor take every city. Pick and choose your major offensive axis of advance. (usually there is only 1 or 2 per scenario)

4. Group cohesion. Keep your units together and in support of each other. Don't send your units off blindly in all directions without support. (I know it is very tempting... and I have to fight the impulse as well at times.) Try to keep your archers in the 2nd rank. Especially by the time your turn ends.

5. Control of the battlefield. Examine the enemies visibility radius. Don't activate more enemies than you can handle at a time. You can attack an enemy and not activate the unit if you can not be seen by the start of the computer's turn. This gives you the ability to use segmented movement (move in, snipe, move out) or long range attacks to wear down a unit without activating it (or its associated unit group).