PDA

View Full Version : Saved track bug - Possibly 4.11 related

IonicRipper
03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Not sure if this happened after patching to 4.11 but for a while now every time i save a track after a flight i get some weird alternate reply that never actually happened?!

For example, i'll destroy 2 planes in a mission and land safely, then when i review the saved track i'll be shooting at nothing and crash randomly for no reason.

Anyone else having this bug? Any known solutions?

IceFire
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Saved a track at the end of a mission using the TRK format? I believe it's in the patch notes but TRK has been progressively more and more broken since IL-2 Sturmovik 1.0 was released. The sum total of 10 years of updates has finally broken the format completely in the last patch. It was breaking down before that and often giving totally bogus results as you have indicated but it's more broken now.

If you want to record accurate tracks I suggest starting the recording when you start the mission (you can bind key combos) which will record the much more accurate NTRK format which works across versions very well... it's why TheBlackDeath.ntrk and Kamikazi02.ntrk are still used to benchmark IL-2 performance even when they were recorded using very old versions of the game.

IonicRipper
03-28-2012, 01:02 AM
I'll give it a try, thanks!

sniperton
03-29-2012, 03:40 PM
If you want to record accurate tracks I suggest starting the recording when you start the mission (you can bind key combos) which will record the much more accurate NTRK format which works across versions very well...

Not on my PC, unfortunately. In Vanilla 4.11 fresh ntrk recordings do not show exactly what was happening in real time. Create e.g. a torp mission, switch on AI, record and observe the attack, then have a look at the recording! Some effects like explosions and torpedo bulbs do not show up at all, planes collide in the air. In air combat recodings planes are shooting into the air or are shot down by planes flying in the opposite direction one mile away. Can anyone confirm?

IceFire
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Not on my PC, unfortunately. In Vanilla 4.11 fresh ntrk recordings do not show exactly what was happening in real time. Create e.g. a torp mission, switch on AI, record and observe the attack, then have a look at the recording! Some effects like explosions and torpedo bulbs do not show up at all, planes collide in the air. In air combat recodings planes are shooting into the air or are shot down by planes flying in the opposite direction one mile away. Can anyone confirm?

Are you sure this is a NTRK recording because what you've said sound awfully similar to what happens on TRK recordings.

Can you host it somewhere or send it in for a look?

Whacker
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Are you sure this is a NTRK recording because what you've said sound awfully similar to what happens on TRK recordings.

I just ran this same test myself twice for both options, same results as you. The two .trk's which I saved at the end of the flights were both inaccurate and off from what really happened. The two .ntrk's I recorded at the start of two quick missions using the hotkey I bound played back fine and accurately. In each of the four instances, the files were properly named with the .trk or .ntrk extension, depending on which method I used to save them.

sniperton
03-30-2012, 02:26 PM

I used a hotkey to record, the file had an .ntrk extension, and it was a binary file, not a scripted one like .trk recordings. I don't have it here in my office ;); I'll send or upload it next week. Maybe the problem is that I haven't recorded the mission from the beginning; I started recording just a few seconds before the "action" began. The strange behaviour is possibly due to the data being incomplete as to the whole action. And this results in planes flying underwater or with gears down for a few seconds and in similar oddities. Anyway, I'll show it somehow. Cheers

GF_Mastiff
03-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I have the same issues since 4.11.

sniperton
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I made some tests and now it seems that the truth is somewhere inbetween. NTRK recordings CAN be incorrect if you start recording mid-action, that is when the combat situation has already evolved, (some) fighters are already dogfighting, (some) bombers have already released their bombs/torps, etc. It seems that in the first few seconds the game engine is not fed with all the data it needs to correctly reconstruct the flight situation. Hence the lowered gears on bombers on a torp run and the like. It seems that torps released prior to the start of recording do not show up (and do not detonate) in the replay while doing the same damage invisibly.
Just set up a torp mission with 4 SM79s on a ship, choose external view on plane #3, start recording when #2 releases its torp, watch carefully, and remember when you review the saved track. And report whatever you find.
Cheers

Ace1staller
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Not sure if this happened after patching to 4.11 but for a while now every time i save a track after a flight i get some weird alternate reply that never actually happened?!

For example, i'll destroy 2 planes in a mission and land safely, then when i review the saved track i'll be shooting at nothing and crash randomly for no reason.

Anyone else having this bug? Any known solutions?

I have a minor bug of the 4.11 track, well if I try to speed things up to times 8X. However If you have manual view off and Also Manual time expression off. I don't have much of a problem. However with Manual view on, I don't have any problems with that.

sniperton
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I made a small video to illustrate the issue I reported:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutWQBdRkUE

This is not a proper bug IMHO. The point is that any action (like performing a flight maneuvre or dropping bombs) that you initiate prior to recording will show incorrectly on NTRK tracks as well. So if you want to accurately record a dogfight, you have to start recording it upon contact with the enemy or at least before you get involved in proper dogfighting. Similarly, you have to record a bombing event from the initial phase of the bomb run or from the time before the first plane releases its bomb load to ensure a correct replay. That's all, I think. Cheers

jermin
04-04-2012, 03:52 AM
I have already reported this bug in the bug thread when the patch just came out.

IceFire
04-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Weird... I still haven't seen that yet. I'll try doing something similar.