PDA

View Full Version : Overcooling

greybeard1
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
After detailed modeling of overheating in 4.11, I think next step (quite necessary to get the whole matter modeled and not just the upper part) should be overcooling.

It was in reality an issue and P-38 flight manual, for instance, set a minimal working temperature of 40°C for lubricating oil, whilst P-47 pilot's manual has a nice illustration showing pilot leaning out his cockpit, trying desperately to heat his overcooled engine, covered with ice, by a lighter...

What about this?

Thanks for all work done so far, cheers,
GB

swiss
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
After detailed modeling of overheating in 4.11, I think next step (quite necessary to get the whole matter modeled and not just the upper part) should be overcooling.

It was in reality an issue and P-38 flight manual, for instance, set a minimal working temperature of 40°C for lubricating oil, whilst P-47 pilot's manual has a nice illustration showing pilot leaning out his cockpit, trying desperately to heat his overcooled engine, covered with ice, by a lighter...

What about this?

Thanks for all work done so far, cheers,
GB

Not much, as it would delay takeoff and also suck in dogfights.
...and make me hate TD.;)

Jumoschwanz
01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Not much, as it would delay takeoff and also suck in dogfights....and make me hate TD.;)

Well Swiss, if complex engine management and other realistic flight simulation features get in the way of your Gaming, then all you have to do is disable them in the controls section of IL2 Sturmovik. When you start IL2, controls is the second button down on the right.

swiss
01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
I exclusively fly online, and those servers have activated everything.

WTE_Galway
01-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Now that would give the idiot points whores who like to spawn, hit WEP, and then barrel across the apron and taxiways willy-nilly at full throttle till they bounce into the air, totally ignoring the runways a few issues :D

swiss
01-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Right, they'd have to wait a few min, then hit WEP, and then barrel across the apron and taxiways willy-nilly at full throttle till they bounce into the air, totally ignoring the runways.

I only use runways on ADW and during squad nights. ;)
Seriously, why should you use them if you don't have to?
Works even in Clod.

Back to the advantages:
P51 and other B&Z Jocks would love it too:

High alt cruise: almost closed
Dive: close
climb: open
dive: close again
open/close/open...

Makes me wonder how long the potis can endure this.