PDA

View Full Version : 4.11: 'Changes To darkness of night'

Aviar
01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
In the 4.11 Guide, under 'Other small Changes & Improvements', it lists 'Changes to darkness of night'.

I was wondering if the IL-2 community is aware that with 4.11, we have lost approximately 2 hours of daylight in a 24 hour day? As a mission builder, I work with the FMB a lot and have noticed a dramatic change.

I am finding that I have to re-edit my 4.10 early morning and early evening missions. These are sunrise and sunset missions that (in 4.10) still had plenty of daylight left for ground attack and dogfighting.

In 4.11, these same missions now basically start in the dark or near-dark and must have their starting times changed in order to make them playable.

Just as a small example, I have attached 4 screenshots. From left to right, the first 2 shots are from 4.10 (6am and 6pm, respectively). Generally, these used to be the earliest/latest I would start a mission, as there was still enough daylight to see what you were doing.

The next 2 shots are from 4.11 (6am and 6pm, respectively). As you can see, it is near-dark in both shots...much darker than the 4.10 screens.

All of the shots were from the exact same mission on the Solomon's 1944 map. The only difference is the game version I tested them on.

I put a lot of effort into the starting time of my missions, as the lighting can have a dramatic effect on several aspects of gameplay.

Personally, I love the 4.11 patch, but this one particular change has made a dramatic effect (unfortunately, a negative one) on many of my missions (I have a lot).

I suspect that as 4.11 gets more playtime from the community, this issue will become more apparent to a larger number of players.

I was just wondering why this change to the darkness was made and was there any thought given to the problems it may inflict on legacy missions and campaigns?

Aviar

Jure_502
01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I have posted an observation like this in 4.11 debuging thread. Seems like 4.11 messed with previous 4.10 weather and time changes.

blowpipe
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I had the same experience in my Finland campaign, pitchblack night instead of a nice colo:confused:ured nightfall sky

KG26_Alpha
01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
This is already reported, time of day changes in v4.11 and clouds bugs in the debugging sticky.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=379172&postcount=56

Aviar
01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks Alpha. As you have probably found out by now, it's not just some maps that are affected by the shortened daylight hours. It seems the basic 24-hour cycle has been changed.

Basically, early morning brightness comes later (compared to 4.10) and early evening darkness comes earlier (compared to 4.10). This can lead to gameplay issues for certain legacy missions/campaigns.

The 'black' clouds is also a new issue in 4.11.

Aviar

viktor94
01-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I think it has something to do with the mission date, in winter sun goes up later and goes down earlier, in summer sun goes up earlier and goes down later.
IMO it is better this way because in 4.10 you got at 2 am in the east dark night and in the west it looks like short after sunset.
sry for my bad english.

Aviar
01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
I think it has something to do with the mission date, in winter sun goes up later and goes down earlier, in summer sun goes up earlier and goes down later.

We all know that. I'm talking about comparing the same mission, same date, same map on both 4.10 and 4.11.

Aviar

KG26_Alpha
01-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Well missions are now looking strange as we lost the sunset and sunrise, nice red orange yellow effect, replaced with green sunset/sunrise and mission lighting timing is way off for what we had in v4.10.

Night colours are looking very weird .......................:confused:

WTE_Galway
01-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Does anyone remember the server on hyperlobby back around the AEP period that ran a lakeside dogfight map at midnight in a thunderstorm ? For some reason it was always popular :D

daidalos.team
01-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Aviar, thanks for your feedback. We will look at this again.

Ventura
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I actually remember playing that mission. It was ..different.

I still see the orangish twilight/dawn effect albeit not as dramatic as in 4.101. If you observe the actual sunrise/sunset, you may see that those colours don't happen often.

Frankly, I have no problems with the change of light effects and IMHO think it looks better and may possibly have an improving effect of most AC skins(?).

With each update patch (and different Mod) , I usually go back into my missions and modify accordingly and some, I will leave and discard.

Aviar
02-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Just posting these screenshots for fun. Some people may have not yet experienced our new doomsday sunrises/sunsets.

I was hosting a coop earlier today. The mission was on the winter Ardennes map. I have a program that generates random mission times and it set the mission to start at 07:05. See the first 3 screenshots below.

Although these 4.11 issues with strange cloud and sky colors has been reported, it was still a shock when my cockpit first appeared on the screen.

The eeriness of the charcoal-gray sky contrasted by the snowy terrain reminded me of a 'doomsday' scenario. Let's hope that DT can give us back our beautiful sunrises and sunsets. (See the last screenshot to see the same mission and time in 4.10.)

Aviar

Ventura
02-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Actually saw some weird clouds on the Italy map Late 1943, 7 AM.

The clouds looked like giant clouds of darkness even though the sun almost two diameters over the horizon.

Wouldn't be so bad except that it was on the sunlit side of the cloud!

CzechTexan
02-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I agree. This needs to be fixed. Just think of all the missions built that are now unflyable because it's too dark. I did like the idea of standardizing time with daylight/darkness in 4.11 but I also think that it needs improvement.

Also, it's very difficult to see when flying in the rain. I have not tested rain much but there is such a heavy mist that I cannot see anything.

IceFire
02-25-2012, 12:40 AM
It's already been acknowledged as a bug... so a fix is coming. Fear not!