PDA

View Full Version : No 'Look' Control for HOTAS in 4.11?

apexGP
01-17-2012, 07:54 AM
In the (4.11) HOTAS section for assigning joystick axis there are options for 'Head Movement' (left/right, front/back, etc.), but no actual head turning, or looking (like with the mouse). Do we not have this option as well?

I would like to assign a ministick axis on my CH Pro Throttle for looking around, does anyone know if this is somehow possible without creating a script? If the option to do it for 'Head Movement' is there, I would imagine that the functionality for looking must also exist, or could easily be implemented.

If anybody from Team Daidalos, or anyone else for that matter, could share their thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Any Pro Throttle users out there using the ministick for looking?

Bolelas
01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Probably is not this, but check if you do have gunsight view enabled. With gunsight view those other axis dont work...

apexGP
01-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Hey thanks for replying, but yeah I looked into that at first when I was trying to figure it all out.

I'm hoping they add this feature in the future, in the same way they added Head Movement in the HOTAS menu. I can't for the life of me understand why they would add one and not the other though. Not everybody uses TrackIR.

Bearcat
01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
In the (4.11) HOTAS section for assigning joystick axis there are options for 'Head Movement' (left/right, front/back, etc.), but no actual head turning, or looking (like with the mouse). Do we not have this option as well?

I would like to assign a ministick axis on my CH Pro Throttle for looking around, does anyone know if this is somehow possible without creating a script? If the option to do it for 'Head Movement' is there, I would imagine that the functionality for looking must also exist, or could easily be implemented.

If anybody from Team Daidalos, or anyone else for that matter, could share their thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Any Pro Throttle users out there using the ministick for looking?
You should be able to do that ... Before I got TIR I used to use the mini stick on my then X-45 and it functioned as a mouse. I had to set it up that way using the profiling software that came with the stick..

apexGP
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Bearcat, I've actually done the same thing. In my CH Control Manager I can assign the ministick as mouse X/Y and it works in the game as mouse-look. However, when I use it this way my view doesn't return to center when I let go of the stick, like it would do if it could be assigned as a X/Y joystick axis. This is really ideal, cuz it prevents you from getting disoriented during a heated engagement. You just release pressure off the stick and it returns your view to forward/center. With mouse-look I have to assign a separate key for that. To get that return to center function I think I'll have to write a script in my CM... and I have no idea yet how to go about that!

I can do this in-game in Rise of Flight and it works incredibly well. The facility is now there in 4.11, but as I mentioned only for Head Movement. I really wish they would have added 'Look' as well. It's never that easy though, is it?

Looking with a thumbstick works pretty well doesn't it ;)

Thanks for the reply.

MicroWave
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
There is a key "return to default" in head move section.
So you only need one click and your view and head position will move to default if you get disorientated.
I believe there is also center view key somewhere in the control menu which just turns your view forward and head remains where it was.

LesniHU
01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I would like to assign a ministick axis on my CH Pro Throttle for looking around, does anyone know if this is somehow possible without creating a script? If the option to do it for 'Head Movement' is there, I would imagine that the functionality for looking must also exist, or could easily be implemented.Head turning was not implemented for single reason, frequency of of getting information from joystick is much lower than everything other in game. That is not a problem for head movement or zoom because user moves axis very fast to another position and stays there but would be a problem for head turning where smooth tracking of a target would be necessary. Net effect would be equivelent to FPS drop down to 10 per sec or significant lags in response to user's input due to heavy filtering implemented to combat that.

apexGP
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I understand what you're saying Lesni. It's unfortunate it had to work out that way, at least for me, but it is what it is.

I guess I'll have to work around that limitation with a script after all.