PDA

View Full Version : 4.11 F4U Performance

sawyer692
01-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Consistent crashes to desktop after hosting for just a few minutes.

Also, F4U is nerfed! This is my squad's primary fighter and it is now a sluggish chunk of metal in the sky that overheats 2 minutes after takeoff. Takes a very long time to get up to speed. Any chance of putting is back to what it was?

The rest of the patch is spot on and I applaud the work TD does

CWMV
01-13-2012, 05:08 AM
How does your tested performance of the F4U compare to real world numbers?

Shaker
01-13-2012, 07:15 AM
I agree about the F4U, that is a disgrace to the plane IMO.

IvanK
01-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I agree about the F4U, that is a disgrace to the plane IMO.

Could you post your Results and the data you are using as a reference Shaker. Exactly what is the problem ?

Shaker
01-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Also, F4U is nerfed! This is my squad's primary fighter and it is now a sluggish chunk of metal in the sky that overheats 2 minutes after takeoff. Takes a very long time to get up to speed. Any chance of putting is back to what it was?

According to Sawyer the F4U is nerfed. It's slow and overheats easily. After reading this thread I won't be installing this patch so you may want to refer to Sawyer692 and his findings on the Corsair.

The AI tweaks sounded impressive but this CTD issue and from what I have heard from my squad about the Corsair is quite disappointing.

Shaker
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
http://www.aviation-history.com/vought/f4u.html

I am taking my info from the above link.

"It could outfight, outclimb and (if need be) outrun any prop driven enemy."

"The XF4U-1 first went aloft on May 1, 1940 and five months later flew the 45 miles (73 km) between Stratford and Hartford, Connecticut at a speed of 405 miles per hour (651.8 kph), becoming the first production aircraft to exceed 400 mph in level flight. The US Navy was very pleased with the performance of the Corsair and, in June 1941, ordered 584 copies. Over the next 11 years that figure would grow to over 12,500 F4Us. "

The stock F4U doesn't even meet these standards and now it appears to be worse.

Snake
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
If it's like you say, all the people on HL will want to fly F4U giving its abilities in the RL! Who would fly the other ones? :) I think all the allies plane had their capabilities exagerated in the previous patches of IL2 and now I think the odds are more even!! ~S~

Shaker
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
If it's like you say, all the people on HL will want to fly F4U giving its abilities in the RL! Who would fly the other ones? :) I think all the allies plane had their capabilities exagerated in the previous patches of IL2 and now I think the odds are more even!! ~S~

That is fine and dandy but this is a SIM not a video game. Further more it's not the plane it is the pilot that makes all of the difference and it seems to me the Allied planes took a big biased hit.

=D Still the effort on the AI is top notch. I also totally appreciate folks dedicating their lives to a patch to keep a 10 year old Holy Grail of flight SIMs alive. So there is my positive criticism.

Snake
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Further more it's not the plane it is the pilot that makes all of the difference.

I can't agree more with you on this matter!

h0MbrE
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
That is fine and dandy but this is a SIM not a video game. Further more it's not the plane it is the pilot that makes all of the difference and it seems to me the Allied planes took a big biased hit.

I agree with Shaker. I love this sim because it has always been focused on realism. This nerfing of allied planes, ESPECIALLY the Corsair is a step in the wrong direction. They weren't even as fast as they were supposed to be to begin with but now.... useless. Which is very disappointing since I was SO looking forward to this patch. Sigh... back to 4.101 for now.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM

That link and statements are worth of nothing. Thats a product of a U.S. fansite, supported by bend oppinions of fighter pilots (who understandibly never would state "hey, our planes were all porked, but still we won!"). And you beliefe in it. Sorry to sound rude, but simply its that way.

As for the numbers: We have neighter the prototype, nor the F4U-4 in game.

"...any prop driven enemy.." - He forgot to add "...,that was available at that time." - wich in fact was (on fighters) an Ki-43, Ki-44, Ki-61 and A6M-3 and a little bit later an A6M-5, with almost the same performance as the A6M-3.

Now to the numbers in game. With the weakest of the Corsair versions - the F4U-1 - you can outrun a Zero anytime at any alt level, with a minimum advantage of 40km/h at 2000m and 6000m.
From 350km/h climb speed upward you can run away from any Zero as well.
Naturally you cannot turn with it below 440km/h neigher can you do slow-climbing below 350km/h.

To my eyes this gives quite a few possibilies to fight successfull against Zeros. Ki-61 may be a bit more difficult, but its almost the same there in all points.

Furthermore, the F4U series has all become sligthly more maneuverable.
To have said that, I don't see your problem, but maybe only in the way you use to fly.

Half true progaganda is no standard. "It could outfight everything." - Outfight? What is this? At least no value, that we can work with.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
They weren't even as fast as they were supposed to be to begin with but now.... useless. Which is very disappointing since I was SO looking forward to this patch. Sigh... back to 4.101 for now.

Translating:
"...not as fast as they were supposed to deliver you easy kills".

I can understand your dissapointment. :rolleyes:
Seriously: read the numbers, I wrote above and think about.

JtD
01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Regarding the F4U performance, I, as always, recommend to start with the data presented here (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html). While not near complete, it contains much of the essential information and will allow you to adjust expectations to a reasonable level.

MrBaato
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Regarding the F4U performance, I, as always, recommend to start with the data presented here (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html). While not near complete, it contains much of the essential information and will allow you to adjust expectations to a reasonable level.

To me the F4U seems a bit harder to judge when it stalls, but more manouverable for sure

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
However in the current state it isn't playable and secondly the butcher job you have done to ally planes is insulting and inaccurate.

I cannot give reference numbers as I am not responsible for the tweaks - the one, who is and I do trust, gave them to you. I told you about actual numbers (IL-2 compare 4.11).

But feel free to create your plane to your liking - on a different place.

sawyer692
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=EJGr.Ost_Caspar;379066]As for the numbers: We have neighter the prototype, nor the F4U-4 in game.

"...any prop driven enemy.." - He forgot to add "...,that was available at that time." - wich in fact was (on fighters) an Ki-43, Ki-44, Ki-61 and A6M-3 and a little bit later an A6M-5, with almost the same performance as the A6M-3.

Now to the numbers in game. With the weakest of the Corsair versions - the F4U-1 - you can outrun a Zero anytime at any alt level, with a minimum advantage of 40km/h at 2000m and 6000m.
Naturally you cannot turn with it below 440km/h neigher can you do slow-climbing below 350km/h.

To my eyes this gives quite a few possibilies to fight successfull against Zeros. Ki-61 may be a bit more difficult, but its almost the same there in all points.

To have said that, I don't see your problem, but maybe only in the way you use to fly.
[QUOTE]

I look forward to testing this today against a breather in a Zero. It may take some time though as we'll be CTD every 5 minutes and overheating on takeoff. I fly the F4U almost exclusivley so I have a pretty good idea what to compare it to.

sawyer692
01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
But feel free to create your plane to your liking - on a different place.

So you guys can create planes to your liking but when someone complains, they're told to shove off?

In the 10+ years this sim has been around, I've read of no complaints to the Corsair. It hasn't been touched in 10 years!! If was porked as someone said, why do you hardly ever see it in a HL game?

Run some tests off a carrier....It barely takes off. Forget about adding any ordinance. I set up a carrier at 16 knots and takeoff is a struggle.

I think the problem is the acceleration. It picks up speed like a bus climbing a hill. There are a lot of Navy squadrons out there who are not going to be happy you messed with their baby.

Please just fly the thing a little.....something is not right.

And you can't dispute real life footage. This guy is off the ground before the end of the deck, and he started from midship! He doesn't fall off it the sim plays now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTz6jHTazA

ElAurens
01-13-2012, 11:25 PM
A more realistic speed for carrier air operations would be 30 Knots.

Try that.

76.IAP-Blackbird
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
You know that carriers are turned into the wind during start and landings??? so a speed of 30 knots of the carrier + the wind inRL should make it easier.. and who start from a deck which is moving with only 16 knots... kamikazi???

sawyer692
01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
You know that carriers are turned into the wind during start and landings??? so a speed of 30 knots of the carrier + the wind inRL should make it easier.. and who start from a deck which is moving with only 16 knots... kamikazi???

I understand that but the Corsair could also take off from a stationary carrier with no catapult during training at Pearl. I think your missing the point

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, WWII US carriers were about 900 ft long. Available take distance was obviously limited by how many aircraft were stowed on deck or awaiting takeoff.

According to "America's Hundred Thousand", all Navy planes, with full load, could take off on an empty deck, using full length with no wind and no ship speed, except the F6F-3. Obviously, this was not an operational environment.

The sim, up to 4.101, portrayed this. Now it is not even close.

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, WWII US carriers were about 900 ft long. Available take distance was obviously limited by how many aircraft were stowed on deck or awaiting takeoff.

According to "America's Hundred Thousand", all Navy planes, with full load, could take off on an empty deck, using full length with no wind and no ship speed, except the F6F-3. Obviously, this was not an operational environment.

Agreed.

IceFire
01-14-2012, 12:11 AM
So you guys can create planes to your liking but when someone complains, they're told to shove off?

In the 10+ years this sim has been around, I've read of no complaints to the Corsair. It hasn't been touched in 10 years!! If was porked as someone said, why do you hardly ever see it in a HL game?

Run some tests off a carrier....It barely takes off. Forget about adding any ordinance. I set up a carrier at 16 knots and takeoff is a struggle.

I think the problem is the acceleration. It picks up speed like a bus climbing a hill. There are a lot of Navy squadrons out there who are not going to be happy you messed with their baby.

Please just fly the thing a little.....something is not right.

And you can't dispute real life footage. This guy is off the ground before the end of the deck, and he started from midship! He doesn't fall off it the sim plays now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTz6jHTazA

I sense some drama here.

The Corsair flight model has changed 3 times in the past. After the Pacific Fighters release the turn rate was somewhat reduced (it was a very good turner in the initial Pacific Fighters release), then when the new flight model was introduced in 4.01m, ALL aircraft received new flight models. Now in 4.11 the Corsair has changed a little bit again.

I also ran some tests from a carrier as well. With 100% fuel, default loadout, Essex class carrier and flaps in takeoff position I was able to lift off just before the edge of the deck (i.e. I did not dip below deck) with only 100% throttle. I did not go 110% WEP. This was a moving carrier at 10kph from one of the missions in my old Corsair campaign (on M4T).

So far the only real thing I've noticed with the Corsair is that it turns better.

If there are going to be complaining to do about this aircraft... lets do some actual by the numbers testing. But I think we need to cut through some of the BS and get to the actual heart of the problem. What has changed (in your view) specifically? What speed were you getting before at altitude and what speed are you getting now? By the numbers.

Shaker
01-14-2012, 12:23 AM
I sense some drama here.

The Corsair flight model has changed 3 times in the past. After the Pacific Fighters release the turn rate was somewhat reduced (it was a very good turner in the initial Pacific Fighters release), then when the new flight model was introduced in 4.01m, ALL aircraft received new flight models. Now in 4.11 the Corsair has changed a little bit again.

I also ran some tests from a carrier as well. With 100% fuel, default loadout, Essex class carrier and flaps in takeoff position I was able to lift off just before the edge of the deck (i.e. I did not dip below deck) with only 100% throttle. I did not go 110% WEP. This was a moving carrier at 10kph from one of the missions in my old Corsair campaign (on M4T).

So far the only real thing I've noticed with the Corsair is that it turns better.

If there are going to be complaining to do about this aircraft... lets do some actual by the numbers testing. But I think we need to cut through some of the BS and get to the actual heart of the problem. What has changed (in your view) specifically? What speed were you getting before at altitude and what speed are you getting now? By the numbers.

We fly the Corsairs on a nightly basis so yeah we notice a difference. The numbers are moot as this mod team knows what they did to screw the pooch. I'm done with this debate as this so called "patch" doesn't even work anyways.

And the enemy AI are no better, they actually fly into the ocean quite often. I was highly looking forward to this patch but I am extremely disappointed. CTDs upon release are quite unacceptable and the butcher job done to the Corsair is inexcusable.

I'll stick to 4.101 since this isn't even open to discussion. There has been real world evidence provided for our defense however the mod team has provided nothing to back up what they have done.

The solution for me is simple.....4.101

There really is nothing more to see here.

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 12:45 AM
glad you found yourself an answer.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I sense some drama here.

What has changed (in your view) specifically? What speed were you getting before at altitude and what speed are you getting now? By the numbers.

I appreciate you actually doing some testing. Your test, however, was with no ordinance. Put 2x500lb bombs on and test. Keep in mind the parasitic drag was increased so that, coupled with poor FM, could be the problem.

The issue is the acceleration, not the top speed. I admit I've had little time to test the before/after speeds but I'll gladly post them and some video if thats what it takes. The testing I did do showed straight and level flight near sea level was around 260-270knts which, historically, was pretty close http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1-02334.pdf

Taking off from a carrier and the time to get to 260 knots is what concerns me. Until I do more testing, I'm not going to post on the matter.

I will say this: I truely appreciate the time and effort put into this sim. TD has done wonders to keep it alive. My worry is our squad will not be able to utilize the F4U or the F6F any longer because it is nerfed and we are a Navy squadron.

Numbers to follow (and perhaps some more "drama")

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 12:51 AM

Numbers to follow...)

Great to see some Constructive criticism... Everbody are anxious to have a sim that is as close to reality as possible... pouting lips and playing "keep my breath 'til I go blue-game" helps noone"..

Thanx sawyer!

CWMV
01-14-2012, 01:13 AM
We fly the Corsairs on a nightly basis so yeah we notice a difference. The numbers are moot as this mod team knows what they did to screw the pooch. I'm done with this debate as this so called "patch" doesn't even work anyways.

And the enemy AI are no better, they actually fly into the ocean quite often. I was highly looking forward to this patch but I am extremely disappointed. CTDs upon release are quite unacceptable and the butcher job done to the Corsair is inexcusable.

I'll stick to 4.101 since this isn't even open to discussion. There has been real world evidence provided for our defense however the mod team has provided nothing to back up what they have done.

:rolleyes:

See post #101 for the proper way to respond.

IvanK
01-14-2012, 02:03 AM
I appreciate you actually doing some testing. Your test, however, was with no ordinance. Put 2x500lb bombs on and test. Keep in mind the parasitic drag was increased so that, coupled with poor FM, could be the problem.

The issue is the acceleration, not the top speed. I admit I've had little time to test the before/after speeds but I'll gladly post them and some video if thats what it takes. The testing I did do showed straight and level flight near sea level was around 260-270knts which, historically, was pretty close http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1-02334.pdf

Taking off from a carrier and the time to get to 260 knots is what concerns me. Until I do more testing, I'm not going to post on the matter.

I will say this: I truely appreciate the time and effort put into this sim. TD has done wonders to keep it alive. My worry is our squad will not be able to utilize the F4U or the F6F any longer because it is nerfed and we are a Navy squadron.

Numbers to follow (and perhaps some more "drama")

Do you have any Real world test data that provides acceleration times to 260 knots ?

Also be aware that Drag values for external stores and pylons are now a lot more comprehensive than the simple model used previously. So Dont expect the same acceleration in 4.11 as you saw in 4.10.1 wheb carrying external stores.

Also in what way do you consider the F6F's to be "nerfed" ?

IceFire
01-14-2012, 02:30 AM

Well then have fun with 4.10.1...All I see is flippant responses to legitimate questions... so have a nice day then!

For me, if there is something wrong, I'd rather do the work and see where there might be a problem. So far I don't see one.

SturmKreator
01-14-2012, 02:53 AM

this is a simulator not a arcadish game, in the oleg worlds was a lot of mistakes, now TD fix them, if you dont like it, you can leave the sim, my fw190 was nerfed much more, now never reach the 730km/h but is a simulator not a blazing angels. Now I have to learn how to fight again.

TD you rock.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Do you have any Real world test data that provides acceleration times to 260 knots ?

Also be aware that Drag values for external stores and pylons are now a lot more comprehensive than the simple model used previously. So Dont expect the same acceleration in 4.11 as you saw in 4.10.1 wheb carrying external stores.

Also in what way do you consider the F6F's to be "nerfed" ?

Finding real world data that provides that particular time does not appear to be available.

I'm aware of the new drag imposed on external stores. The problem exists with default loadout also.

I've not tackled the F6F yet, squad mates are reported it is also sluggish. I suppose that ones next.

My point here is: a carrier borne aircraft should be able to easily take off from a carrier and that is not the case right now. Comparing real world videos to what can be done in the sim is pretty good evidence, IMO.

I'll post some numbers soon comparing 4.101 to 4.11

IvanK
01-14-2012, 03:19 AM
We look forward to your analysis

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Here is the data on the F4U-1 and others. Hopefully this will clarify things. It's pretty "cut and dry" that it is now way under modeled in the sim.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1-02334.pdf

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf

The whole article for all the Corsairs:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html

Pretty much every other airplane:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

IvanK
01-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Here is the data on the F4U-1 and others. Hopefully this will clarify things. It's pretty "cut and dry" that it is now way under modeled in the sim.

The whole article for all the Corsairs:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html

Pretty much every other airplane:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

"that it is now way under modeled in the sim"

How so ? How about some examples in Game compared directly with the performance from the references shown ? How does this also compare with 4.10.1 ?

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Well, after a couple hours testing, here is what I found (F4U-C):

Speed- 100% fuel, 100% prop, appropriate supercharger settings

3000ft
4.101 -271kias
4.11 - 250kias

20,000ft
4.101 – 222kias
4.11 - 160kias

Carrier takeoff – carrier 28 knots, 100%fuel, 100% prop, takeoff flap setting, speed is from chocks release to clearing bow threshold

4.101- 96kias
4.11 – Upper 80s kias

Carrier takeoff – carrier 16 knots, 100%fuel, 100% prop, takeoff flap setting, speed is from chocks release to clearing bow threshold

4.101 – 85kias
4.11 - upper 70s kias

Carrier with ordinance

Rockets minus 10kias from 4.101
5x500 lb bombs minus 10kias from 4.101
2x1000 lb bombs minus 10 from 4.101 but dipped way below carrier and drug landing gear

Speed to 260kias, from standstill on runway, flying straight and level at 150ft

4.101 – 1min 15secs
4.11 – 1min 45secs

Some of the speed numbers in 4.101 are more precise due to the hud mod (the only mod on my sim)

Granted some of the differences may be slight on a few of the items but "feel" much greater in the sim. Either way, it is a slower aircraft now.

I have to ask; What did you guys do to the FM? I found nothing in the manual.

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 05:19 AM
I have one question that may clarify something for me on the matter of the F4U as well. I realize the difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed. My question is: Does the sim take the correlation between these into account? Or does it factor the indicated airspeed as the true airspeed or visa verse?

How so ? How about some examples in Game compared directly with the performance from the references shown ? How does this also compare with 4.10.1 ?

I will be doing some thorough testing with some of my squad mates over the next week or so and will report our findings. There are a few guys on the squad that live and breath this stuff and I want to involve them in the research to make sure I don't miss anything relevant (whether it proves or disproves that there are any errors in the modeling).

Will report back as soon as we feel we have accurate and complete data to share. As for now, thank you for listening! All the work you guys do to support this sim is highly appreciated.

IvanK
01-14-2012, 05:34 AM
All the published performance data is TAS. So when comparing Sim test performance to published data use TAS as well. Wonder woman view gives TAS.

Also there is always an issue with Atmosphere so do your tests Crimea Midday.

IvanK
01-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Sawyer. What supercharger settings (3) were you using in your 20,000ft test ? and on what map.
a 60KIAS diff is huge.

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 05:54 AM
All the published performance data is TAS. So when comparing Sim test performance to published data use TAS as well. Wonder woman view gives TAS.

I think this may be part of the problem. The new top speed of the F4U in the sim is around 270kias (311mph). That is almost exactly the max IAS of the aircraft in the performance data. The truth is the actual TAS of the aircraft in the performance test was 431mph (375kias).

I am referring to this document from some of the 1943 official performance tests:

Not sure what you mean by "Wonder woman view" unless you are referring to the hud. I fly mostly full real anyhow but for our tests I will use the hud for reference.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Sawyer. What supercharger settings (3) were you using in your 20,000ft test ? and on what map.
a 60KIAS diff is huge.

Super 3 on the 20K test using coral sea map. I used that map for all the tests I did. I also took video of the tests if that helps although it would be simple to set up a scenario.

I do appreciate your "ear" on this and your responses.

(I also pondered the TAS vs IAS but the comparison shows air is air)

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 06:01 AM
I do appreciate your "ear" on this and your responses.

Likewise

IvanK
01-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Sawyer your 20,000Ft figures for 4.11 are way off. in your post 120 You got these numbers:

20,000ft
4.101 – 222kias
4.11 - 160kias
i.e. a diff of 62KIAS

I re tested in both 4.10.1 and 4.11.
F4U1C, 100% Fuel, Rad 2, 100% Power Prop pitch 100%, Supercharger 3 Default, Crimea Midday
I get 220KIAS or 579KMH TAS in 4.10.1
I get 210KIAS or 566KMH TAS in 4.11
A diff of 10KIAS or 12KMH TAS

Wonder Woman view cockpits off with the gaudy circular instruments :)

IvanK
01-14-2012, 06:10 AM
I think this may be part of the problem. The new top speed of the F4U in the sim is around 270kias (311mph). That is almost exactly the max IAS of the aircraft in the performance data. The truth is the actual TAS of the aircraft in the performance test was 431mph (375kias).

I am referring to this document from some of the 1943 official performance tests:

Not sure what you mean by "Wonder woman view" unless you are referring to the hud. I fly mostly full real anyhow but for our tests I will use the hud for reference.

Hombre be more specific at what altitude ?

Try everything at Sea level Crimea. See what numbers you get then compare them to a specific chart from your reference.

Also read the title of that report .. it refers to a test for max performance at War Emergency Power of a "Cleaned up version"

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/zulu64/corsairclean.jpg

When I test in 4.11 Again Crimea Midday, WEP, RAD 2, 100% Fuel at 19,000ft (FTH Supercharger 3) I get the following:
240KIAS,280MPH IAS, 633KMH TAS (that works out at 393MPH TAS or 342Knots TAS)

The Max speed achieved in the Cleaned up test aircraft was as the report shows 429MPH TAS (averaged of the 2 runs). Its also worth pointing out they flew the test at 23,000ft, rather than the 19,000ft I flew the test.

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Perhaps it would be helpful if you would share the performance data you used to model the aircraft as well. I'm doing the best I can here by researching and citing my references but I feel that I am simply hitting a brick wall. I'm sure your data is more relevant and official and I would like to see it as well if you don't mind?

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Also, if you look at the date of the document these tests were conducted on the earlier model F4U-1 in 1943. After which the aerodynamic and performance improvements were made and then the C and D models were developed. Take a look at this doc from the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics dated 1945 on the test results of the F4U-1C and 1D models, FULLY LOADED (defined in the doc), which we also use in the sim:

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Sawyer your 20,000Ft figures for 4.11 are way off. in your post 120 You got these numbers:

20,000ft
4.101 – 222kias
4.11 - 160kias
i.e. a diff of 62KIAS

I re tested in both 4.10.1 and 4.11.
F4U1C, 100% Fuel, Rad 2, 100% Power Prop pitch 100%, Supercharger 3 Default, Crimea Midday
I get 220KIAS or 579KMH TAS in 4.10.1
I get 210KIAS or 566KMH TAS in 4.11
A diff of 10KIAS or 12KMH TAS

Wonder Woman view cockpits off with the gaudy circular instruments :)

I gotta give you that one, WEP made a big difference. I was running at 99% throttle in the test I posted (forgot to mention that). I just tested again with WEP (no rad) and got it to 220kias per the speedbar.

I'll get together with my squad and do some more testing and research in the next couple days.

Again, I appreciate your time on this matter.

JtD
01-14-2012, 07:49 AM
It says 409 mph top and this is what you get in game.

Would be nice to not clutter up a General debugging topic with a single FM debate.

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
It says 409 mph top and this is what you get in game.

How is this achieved? Altitude, throttle, pitch, fuel, armament, difficulty switches (overheating on/off)? I have never been able to get this out of a Corsair in this sim in level flight with full real settings or otherwise. Please give me a scenario and I will try to duplicate it.

Would be nice to not clutter up a General debugging topic with a single FM debate.

The issue was already underway in this thread before I made a post. If it would be better in addressed another thread go ahead and move all the posts on this issue there. It isn't my intention to clutter anything up.

JimmyBlonde
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM

^^This^^

BadAim
01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Holy crap, what a bloody freaking mess! This is a BUG thread, not a disagree with the developer over every thing they've done with the sim thread. Does anyone know the difference between a bug and your own personal opinion on one plane's flight model? WOW. I'm really surprised anyone bothers.

IvanK
01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Discuss the F4U performance here please rather than in the General Debug thread.

EAF331 Starfire
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM

"The XF4U-1 first went aloft on May 1, 1940 and five months later flew the 45 miles (73 km) between Stratford and Hartford, Connecticut at a speed of 405 miles per hour (651.8 kph), becoming the first production aircraft to exceed 400 mph in level flight. The US Navy was very pleased with the performance of the Corsair and, in June 1941, ordered 584 copies. Over the next 11 years that figure would grow to over 12,500 F4Us. "

I have been outturning the A6M5 in a Corsair(1944 version) in patch 4.10.1 and looking at the realworld numbers this ain't possible in rl. I have yet to try the Corsair out in patch 4.11 but I doubt that the performance can be more less simmed in patch 4.11.
I love flying Carrier operations so thanks for pointing it out; I will be my next a/c to test throughly.

EAF331 Starfire
01-14-2012, 02:14 PM

That link and statements are worth of nothing. Thats a product of a U.S. fansite, supported by bend oppinions of fighter pilots (who understandibly never would state "hey, our planes were all porked, but still we won!"). And you beliefe in it. Sorry to sound rude, but simply its that way.

As for the numbers: We have neighter the prototype, nor the F4U-4 in game.

Half true progaganda is no standard. "It could outfight everything." - Outfight? What is this? At least no value, that we can work with.

I tend to agree with EJGr.Ost_Caspar.

Looking at grafs and numbers for different a/c from WWII
like http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/ and http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spittest.html

and reading several books which analysed the war as a whole it was not the performance of the individual a/c that won the war.

It all came down to resources, production and strategy. In essence it was numbers!

We really need a feature that can balance the servers more historical. ETO 1944: RAF+USAF vs Luftwaffe = 4:1
I recommend reading "Brute Force" by John Ellis. Unfortunately it can only be found second hand but it is a revalation.

I have made a link to the aircraft production numbers for the war :grin:

http://www.europeanaf.org/shared/starfire/BruteForce/Table23.jpg

http://www.europeanaf.org/shared/starfire/BruteForce/Table41.jpg

http://www.europeanaf.org/shared/starfire/BruteForce/Table55.jpg

http://www.europeanaf.org/shared/starfire/BruteForce/Table42.jpg

Looking at the ratios make me laugh at most so called WWII documentaries. Almost all of them are filled with propaganda.
Don't get me wrong. I am glad that the Allies won (or my country would not exist), but that kind of propaganda are bad if we need to learn from history. It is against what the Allies (-USSR) fought for. It is bad for sims.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Any chance we could get the posts from the debugging thread moved over here??

Sprsailor
01-14-2012, 04:04 PM
My squad flies carrier based USN planes almost exclusively on a regular basis. Many people would say that the F4U and F6F have always been under modeled in IL2, and many people would argue the opposite.

Regardless of anyone's opinions, the models up to 4.101 have been acceptable, with very few (if any) major problems or arguments from either point of view.

Here is my observation from testing both the F4U and the F6F in game. These tests were not for numbers or data. I was just flying the planes as I normally would in training missions that I am completely familiar with and fly on a regular basis. I wanted to test the "feel" of the new models.

I flew the F4U and the F6F both in Pacific Islands dog fight training missions that I fly on a regular basis. There were noticeable differences in speed and maneuverability, but those can no doubt be compensated for with more training.

The biggest single problem I had was engine overheating. It was a serious problem in the F6F. The engine literally overheated within seconds of engaging 2 zeros. Maneuvering was not a problem, but the zeros just walked away from the hellcat due to engine overheating. Impossible to dogfight with 50% throttle and radiator full open.

I had the same overheat problem with the F4U. It wasn't as bad. It did not overheat as fast, but it was still enough of a problem that it was impossible to engage the enemy for more than a few seconds, and of course there is no way to outrun them while cooling your engine.

These posts are not intended to insult or take away from anything TD has done with the 4.11 patch. Once the few bugs are worked out, most of it adds significantly to the experience, and everyone is very supportive and appreciative of the long hours of hard work put into it.

Rather than arguing about performance data and who's right and who's wrong, couldn't there be a compromise and just return the USN planes to 4.101? Most of the patch involves AI actions, 6dof, and adding new flyable aircraft anyway. Why change performance on just a few Navy planes, that only affect a few squadrons?

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Rather than arguing about performance data and who's right and who's wrong, couldn't there be a compromise and just return the USN planes to 4.101? Most of the patch involves AI actions, 6dof, and adding new flyable aircraft anyway. Why change performance on just a few Navy planes, that only affect a few squadrons?

What kind of an argument is that? Sorry for beeing rude but do you actually think that you are the only ones that fly these planes? This affect ALL IL2 gamers and not only "pilots" who fly them exclusively. I fly each and every plane in IL2 depending on what server I fly on, what mission, what side has the overhand in numbers etc.
We are all anxious to have planes and FM/DM as close to reality as possible and TD has made it quite clear that they will listen and discuss the issue, but please.. use relevant arguments.... and a compromise is not by defintion when one side gets exactly what they want ;) ( my mrs would of course disagree with that ;) )

KG26_Alpha
01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Discuss the F4U performance here please rather than in the General Debug thread.

I've moved the relevant posts here .

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 05:02 PM
What kind of an argument is that? Sorry for beeing rude but do you actually think that you are the only ones that fly these planes? This affect ALL IL2 gamers and not only "pilots" who fly them exclusively. I fly each and every plane in IL2 depending on what server I fly on, what mission, what side has the overhand in numbers etc.
We are all anxious to have planes and FM/DM as close to reality as possible and TD has made it quite clear that they will listen and discuss the issue, but please.. use relevant arguments.

That sounds like a very relevent argument to me. This guy obviously flys the hell out of the those planes and notices the same shortcomings I have mentioned in the other thread.

Those planes could leap off the carriers in real life. Now they struggle and with any heavy ordinance they just won't do it.

And I'm sure people do fly the Corsair and Hellcat quite a bit but the Navy squads fly them exclusively and will suffer the most from this change. Besides, these planes were not king of skys to begin with.

Do some testing, mainly off carriers, and I think you'll see a huge difference.

SturmKreator
01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
My squad flies carrier based USN planes almost exclusively on a regular basis. Many people would say that the F4U and F6F have always been under modeled in IL2, and many people would argue the opposite.

Regardless of anyone's opinions, the models up to 4.101 have been acceptable, with very few (if any) major problems or arguments from either point of view.

Here is my observation from testing both the F4U and the F6F in game. These tests were not for numbers or data. I was just flying the planes as I normally would in training missions that I am completely familiar with and fly on a regular basis. I wanted to test the "feel" of the new models.

I flew the F4U and the F6F both in Pacific Islands dog fight training missions that I fly on a regular basis. There were noticeable differences in speed and maneuverability, but those can no doubt be compensated for with more training.

The biggest single problem I had was engine overheating. It was a serious problem in the F6F. The engine literally overheated within seconds of engaging 2 zeros. Maneuvering was not a problem, but the zeros just walked away from the hellcat due to engine overheating. Impossible to dogfight with 50% throttle and radiator full open.

I had the same overheat problem with the F4U. It wasn't as bad. It did not overheat as fast, but it was still enough of a problem that it was impossible to engage the enemy for more than a few seconds, and of course there is no way to outrun them while cooling your engine.

These posts are not intended to insult or take away from anything TD has done with the 4.11 patch. Once the few bugs are worked out, most of it adds significantly to the experience, and everyone is very supportive and appreciative of the long hours of hard work put into it.

Do you know the powerband of this engine? Do you know how to use the PP correctly? In 4.10.1 If you know all of this things, easily you could reach high velocities km/h without overheat, now is a little more difficult but not impossible, you only have to know the plane, come of this is a simulator, you cant think in two days you can dominate a plane.

Tolwyn
01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I promise this has nothing to do with the corsair gripe fest. I'm just coming at this from a different (non-biased) angle.

None of the USN Corsair carrier take-off missions work anymore. I can't get airborne, and believe me, I'm good at it.

The only reason I bring it up is that any other mission based upon the same type of criteria likely won't work either.

JtD
01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
I've moved the relevant posts here .

Thanks.

Sprsailor
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
We are all anxious to have planes and FM/DM as close to reality as possible and TD has made it quite clear that they will listen and discuss the issue, but please.. use relevant arguments.... and a compromise is not by defintion when one side gets exactly what they want ;) ( my mrs would of course disagree with that ;) )

Look dude, I don't mean to be rude either, but it is obvious to me that you guys have no interest in listening to any negative feedback. Almost every response from you guys has been arrogant and condescending. When you are presented with real world data, you ignore it in favor of what you did in game "at sea level mid-morning in the Crimea.", or else you make pompous statements without providing one shred of real world data to back it up.

I didn't ask for the Navy planes to be 100% realistic. That really would be unfair. All I asked is could they be changed back to 4.101, which is still under powered and under modeled. Can't see how that is "one side getting exactly what it wants."

JtD
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
I promise this has nothing to do with the corsair gripe fest. I'm just coming at this from a different (non-biased) angle.

None of the USN Corsair carrier take-off missions work anymore. I can't get airborne, and believe me, I'm good at it.
It's the same thing, even with the disclaimer. However, you're right. Take off distances are too long. This will be addressed a.s.a.p.

p.s.: I still can take off from the carriers, try raising gear the second you leave the deck. ;)

MadBlaster
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Try this and see if it works.

warm it up to at least 40C and full rich 120%, prop pitch 100% (max rpm), rad closed because it's cold engine.

After you release the chocks and just before you hit the end of the deck,crank the prop pitch down to 0% and pop full flaps. if that doesn't get you airborne, then something is wrong.

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I have always felt theat the carriers have the wrong dimensions e.g too small, maybe as much as 10-15%... this could be a reason to the difficulties if correct

compare Enterprise CV6

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Uss_enterprise_cv6.jpg/300px-Uss_enterprise_cv6.jpg
http://www.navymemorial.org/Portals/0/images/ships-tribute/NAS94206041.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020616.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5229/5659790675_f218cbaebd_z.jpg

couldn't find a picture on Enterprise from the game but think and compare yourselves

Tolwyn
01-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I already do this as a matter of course.
:)

Try this and see if it works.

warm it up to at least 40C and full rich 120%, prop pitch 100% (max rpm), rad closed because it's cold engine.

After you release the chocks and just before you hit the end of the deck,crank the prop pitch down to 0% and pop full flaps. if that doesn't get you airborne, then something is wrong.

Tolwyn
01-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Woah, madblaster, I'm a pilot and only read the first part of what you said (mixture, chocks, then I hit reply).

If you have to decrease RPM and "pop flaps" uh... dude, that has nothing to do with flying an airplane. What in the heck are you talking about?

You never want to put the prop blade against the wind on takeoff and "pop flaps" (down I assume you mean)...

dude... I don't even want to start this in a bug thread.

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I asked for relevant arguments...that's all. Many guys have come up with loads in hard facts which is swell..you can't say that you presented "real world dara".. you just went by I qoute ""feel" of the new models and comparison how the FM was in 4.101. That does not say much about real performance.

Regarding people having hard time to take off... I have always suspected that the carriers have the wrong dimensions e.g too small, maybe as much as 10-15%... this could be a reason to the difficulties if correct

compare Enterprise CV6

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Uss_enterprise_cv6.jpg/300px-Uss_enterprise_cv6.jpg
http://www.navymemorial.org/Portals/0/images/ships-tribute/NAS94206041.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020616.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5229/5659790675_f218cbaebd_z.jpg

couldn't find a picture on carriers from the game but think and compare yourselves

MadBlaster
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
just try it. the idea is to generate incremental additional thrust and lift for a brief period (1 or two seconds) the instant you hit the end of the deck. it works. I've been flying this sim for at least four years. Cranking the pp axis value from 100% (fine pitch) to 0%( course pitch) puts sudden load on the prop and generates a bit of acceleration for few seconds. Of course, it's modeled constant speed prop, so the rate of change on the blade pitch is in the game...so this is not a cheat. Also, it takes time for the flaps to fully extend. by the time they are fully extended, you will be ready to start retracting them. Get devicelink and look at the accel parameter.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I asked for relevant arguments...that's all. Many guys have come up with loads in hard facts which is swell..you can't say that you presented "real world dara".. you just went by I qoute ""feel" of the new models and comparison how the FM was in 4.101. That does not say much about real performance.

Regarding people having hard time to take off... I have always suspected that the carriers have the wrong dimensions e.g too small, maybe as much as 10-15%... this could be a reason to the difficulties if correct

couldn't find a picture on Enterprise from the game but think and compare yourselves

I feel relevent arguments have been made. Take a look at the video in post #17. That guy took off from midship with at least a drop tank. Granted we won't know the carrier's speed or his fuel load but, that take off can not be repicated in the game. That is a real world relevent argument. Set up the scenario and try it (btw the top speed of the Saratoga/Lexington was 33.25 knots).

Additionally, a Zero could never pull away from a corsair or a Hellcat. That's common knowledge.

My hope is this will be fixed and the "fun factor" of these planes restored.

The idea of the carriers not being modeled at a realistic length is a valid point that may need to be explored....

Another relevent argument: Thursday night, my squad ran a campaign with 12 Corsairs taking off from a carrier with various load outs. We ran 3 mission. 36 individual take offs without a single mishap on takeoff. That is how people trained in a Corsair can operate. To say we don't know what we're talking about is just sweeping us under the rug.

Anyone posting further regarding these plane should TRY them out first. Don't simple blame a lack of knowledge with prop pitch, powerband, radiator, or supercharger settings. WE know these planes, it's what we do.

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Sweet mother of Joe.

Sawyer, when did I adress you about lack of evidence? You have come up with load of info which is GREAT, my only point was ANOTHER person's lack of facts other than his "feel".... undelsss u are the same person

now back to the discussin.. PLEASE!

SaQSoN
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
The idea of the carriers not being modeled at a realistic length is a valid point that may need to be explored....

It is not.

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Now.. I went in and checked the size of the carriers.. It is a well known fact that we have always had a hard time with corsairs taking off from carriers, more so in 4.11 than before.

I took a screen from USS Lexington from the game to compare with the real Lexington, When it comes to the width of the carrier, you can fit 2 wildats next to eachtother.. maybe 2 and wreck ;)...

Now if we compare with this photo you can clearly see 4!!! Wildcats next to eachother.. wing unfolded...

If we take this comparison and apply it on the lenght of the carrier, it is likely that we might have the same size aspect, which would mean that we have Way to small carriers in Il2...
This would be nice if it was adressed. . I can't see how TD would resize all ships.. so.. something else has to be done.. I guess with FMs of carrierborne airplanes

http://www.svaf.net/temp/uss_lex.jpg
http://www.svaf.net/temp/usslexphoto.jpg

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 08:07 PM
It is not.

well.... maybe the airplanes wings on the picture are interlaced then?

SaQSoN
01-14-2012, 08:07 PM
If we take this comparison and apply it on the lenght of the carrier, it is likely that we might have the same size aspect, which would mean that we have Way to small carriers in Il2...

Size of the carriers in the game is exact to their RL specs. Period.

Regarding your photo: a) planes on the photo are SBD, TBD and F2A (on the nose); b) they positioned on the deck in a "checker" pattern. It is clearly visible from the photo, that if those planes were positioned in a line wingtip to wingtip, only two of them would fit on deck in width. In the case of TBD even 2 of them won't fit.

MadBlaster
01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uhmwbo.jpg

I made this a while back. Can't really remember how I did it though.

AndyJWest
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
How exactly does a picture comparing two rows of Wildcats lined up wingtip to wingtip with another one with four rows staggered with overlapped wings, and with the outer aircraft right on the edge of the deck, actually prove anything?

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
How exactly does a picture comparing two rows of Wildcats lined up wingtip to wingtip with another one with four rows staggered with overlapped wings, and with the outer aircraft right on the edge of the deck, actually prove anything?

I think the question is answered by Saqson .. thank you.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweet mother of Joe.

Sawyer, when did I adress you about lack of evidence? You have come up with load of info which is GREAT, my only point was ANOTHER person's lack of facts other than his "feel".... undelsss u are the same person

now back to the discussin.. PLEASE!

See post #36 on page 4. I mentioned "feel" as well.

"Evidence", "relevent arguments" - apples and apples man.

We are not the same person, however Sailor flys with me a few times a week and has a great deal of time in the Corsair.

We are giving you guys feedback. If it's not wanted, just say the word.

This patch really is awesome, perfect in fact, with the exception of the capabilities of our Navy planes.

sawyer692
01-14-2012, 08:21 PM
It is not.

huh?

ACE-OF-ACES
01-14-2012, 08:33 PM
I just uploaded a new version of IL-2Compare that includes LesniHU's new 4.11 files, See attached in my post here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29062)

Also, if you want to see the F4u values from 4.10 you can see them here

IL2-Compare Online (http://www.flightsimtesting.com)

Where you can switch between metric and imperal values and select different fuel loads

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 08:46 PM
I just uploaded a new version of IL-2Compare that includes LesniHU's new 4.11 files, See attached in my post here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29062)

Also, if you want to see the F4u values from 4.10 you can see them here

IL2-Compare Online (http://www.flightsimtesting.com/IL2Compare.aspx)

Where you can switch between metric and imperal values and select different fuel loads

Great mate... compare on the web... can't get it to start though . no planelists appear... using Chrome and IE .. no luck :(

ACE-OF-ACES
01-14-2012, 08:49 PM
no planelists appear... using Chrome and IE .. no luck :(
Hmmm.. thought I fixxed that.. Click on the HOME tab first.. than the IL2Comp tab that should reset it

F19_Klunk
01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
works.. excellent.. good idea mate

ACE-OF-ACES
01-14-2012, 08:53 PM
works.. excellent.. good idea mate
Thanks!

Also note, you can right mouse click on the graphs and do a SAVE AS to your PC.. Should you want to use them for something else

Ill also be adding the Ps and Thrust Required and Thrust Aval graphs soon.. and I still need to add the load factor values and radius values to the
doghouse lines

Last but not least.. I will be adding REAL WORLD DATA graphs to the menu so you can compare in-game results to real world results.. I wish I had that done allready, would have came in handy for this F4u topic!

mmaruda
01-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi all! I don't think I have ever posted in this forum, but I'm a long time IL-2 player so I guess I might as well add some feedback here.

I am by no means an expert on US Navy planes, but I fly them quite often and the changes to the FM struck me as odd. At first I was outraged - the Corsairs are crap against Zeros, I kept crashing on take-offs, what the hell? But then I figured, there must by a way, since I didn't believe that TD would brake the Corsairs and Cats just to make our lives miserable.

First - you can take off even from a stationary carrier, it's hard, but possible. Come to think of it, why should it be easy? I can bet my bottom dollar, that flying a real plane is at least 100 times harder than anything you do in IL-2 and especially when it's a seaborne plane. The trick is to warm up the engine and go straight on the deck, there's no room for error here, swirling around the deck because you cannot perfectly apply rudder cost precious speed and gets you killed. It's not impossible, it's just a lot harder and you need to remember about the rich mixture.

As for dogfighting and engine overheating - proper CEM is the key. First I struggled, but after some time I came to terms with the new FM - I can outrun a Zero and shoot it out of the sky. Only once I overheated the engine in the Wildcat while climbing after take-off with 100% pitch and closed radiator. In a dogfight one just needs to remember that you cannot go 100% throttle with full pitch and closed radiator for long - I think it's fairly realistic. On the other hand, with CEM off, the planes fly slow and overheat very often.

I'm not saying the FMs are good, I'm not someone to judge since I lack the knowledge, but one can adapt to them and still fly these planes, it's just harder.

Erkki
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM

----

Lol. ;):rolleyes:

302_Corsair
01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVR6PAMT7xE&feature=related

Airway
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I and several other members of the German Il-2 community from Sturmovik.de had the opportunity to see the development on the restauration of a real F4U last year at Meier Motors GmbH, one of the few companies in Germany, that is allowed to restore and license historic warbirds.

And so while we were visiting them during Europe's biggest oldtimer airshow, the 16th Oldtimer Fliegertreffen at Hahnweide (http://www.wolf-hirth.de/ott11_en/home.php), last year, we were able to meet the boss of MeierMotors and he showed us the company and the planes they were working on.
They had Messerschmitts, Mustangs and Spitfires beside the Corsair. We were overwhelmed.

Regarding the F4U everything seems to be alright within Il-2 4.11 as far as it can get to this point of time.
I didn't know to the time we that the gear of the F4U was used and capable to work as dive brake.
I liked the F4U since the TV series "Black Sheep Squadron", mostly because of the shape of the wings.
But to see it in real life and to be told about it's history, it's technology, mechanics, and the experience MeierMotors had while restoring the plane, was awesome.
I was amazed how small sized the actuator of the wings folding mechanism was.
I would never have thought that it could withstand such forces in flight.
I don't see a big difference between the Il-2 version of the Corsair and the real one. Sure, there are some, but don't forget, this is just a simulation, no the real thing.

See some F4U pictures we were able to make in their hangars, here:

http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp7613s3z78.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp7613s3z78.jpg) http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp76157faps.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp76157faps.jpg) http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp7631dmyqj.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp7631dmyqj.jpg)

Don't forget, that this simulation can just get as far as the computer technology up to date.
Don't complain about 10 knots or mph, or seconds of accerelation.
Take it as it is. Everybody has the same situation.
Make the best out of it.
Learn to handle the plane ingame and make it's disadvantage to your advantage.
The F4U is a big and heavy bird. Not a Japanese wood fighter.

See the plane we've seen in it's first flight tests in moving pictures and with sound, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UNVZmYsNY

Taxi checks a few months later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_d125N9j7c

It was a honourable experience to see such a plane getting restored, learning about it's technology and finally see and hear it back in the air.

Take that as confirmation that the development in Il-2 is as good as the developers are able to implement.

And finally here is the website of the Chance Vought Corsair F4U at MeierMotors GmbH in Germany:
Sadly no translation, but the pictures speak for itself:

http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=70&lang=en

A lot of pictures and videos.
Enjoy!

h0MbrE
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I and several other members of the German Il-2 community from Sturmovik.de had the opportunity to see the development on the restauration of a real F4U last year at Meier Motors GmbH, one of the few companies in Germany, that is allowed to restore and license historic warbirds.

And so while we were visiting them during Europe's biggest oldtimer airshow, the 16th Oldtimer Fliegertreffen at Hahnweide (http://www.wolf-hirth.de/ott11_en/home.php), last year, we were able to meet the boss of MeierMotors and he showed us the company and the planes they were working on.
They had Messerschmitts, Mustangs and Spitfires beside the Corsair. We were overwhelmed.

Regarding the F4U everything seems to be alright within Il-2 4.11 as far as it can get to this point of time.
I didn't know to the time we that the gear of the F4U was used and capable to work as dive brake.
I liked the F4U since the TV series "Black Sheep Squadron", mostly because of the shape of the wings.
But to see it in real life and to be told about it's history, it's technology, mechanics, and the experience MeierMotors had while restoring the plane, was awesome.
I was amazed how small sized the actuator of the wings folding mechanism was.
I would never have thought that it could withstand such forces in flight.
I don't see a big difference between the Il-2 version of the Corsair and the real one. Sure, there are some, but don't forget, this is just a simulation, no the real thing.

See some F4U pictures we were able to make in their hangars, here:

http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp7613s3z78.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp7613s3z78.jpg) http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp76157faps.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp76157faps.jpg) http://www.abload.de/thumb/imgp7631dmyqj.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=imgp7631dmyqj.jpg)

Don't forget, that this simulation can just get as far as the computer technology up to date.
Don't complain about 10 knots or mph, or seconds of accerelation.
Take it as it is. Everybody has the same situation.
Make the best out of it.
Learn to handle the plane ingame and make it's disadvantage to your advantage.
The F4U is a big and heavy bird. Not a Japanese wood fighter.

See the plane we've seen in it's first flight tests in moving pictures and with sound, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UNVZmYsNY

Taxi checks a few months later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_d125N9j7c

It was a honourable experience to see such a plane getting restored, learning about it's technology and finally see and hear it back in the air.

Take that as confirmation that the development in Il-2 is as good as the developers are able to implement.

And finally here is the website of the Chance Vought Corsair F4U at MeierMotors GmbH in Germany:
Sadly no translation, but the pictures speak for itself:

http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=70&lang=en

A lot of pictures and videos.
Enjoy!

Looks like an awesome vacation and a wonderful experience! I'm envious. Still I really don't see anything relevant to the issue other than your opinion.

LesniHU
01-15-2012, 12:46 AM
I feel relevent arguments have been made. Take a look at the video in post #17. That guy took off from midship with at least a drop tank. Granted we won't know the carrier's speed or his fuel load but, that take off can not be repicated in the game. That is a real world relevent argument. Set up the scenario and try it (btw the top speed of the Saratoga/Lexington was 33.25 knots).Tried. I was able to take off from first try with F4U-1A, 100% fuel+178gal droptank from flag forward on Essex without dipping after leaving deck. That is +- deck length as on Saratoga from front side of biggest superstructure, noticeably less than half of its total length. You need better references and to be better pilot.

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 01:06 AM
You need better references and to be better pilot

Comments like this are a good way to turn this into a flame war. This opinion could have been expressed in a much less disrespectful way. Let's please try to keep this respectful of one another. Can you give more details as to the procedure you used in your takeoff? What were your flap settings? Prop pitch? Fuel mix? Carrier speed? Wind speed and direction? These would be helpful details. To just say "I can do it and you need to be a better pilot" are detrimental to this entire discussion.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Tried. I was able to take off from first try with F4U-1A, 100% fuel+178gal droptank from flag forward on Essex without dipping after leaving deck. That is +- deck length as on Saratoga from front side of biggest superstructure, noticeably less than half of its total length. You need better references and to be better pilot.

You must of had significant headwind and carrier moving max speed. You shouldn't be able to do that on a stationary carrier and zero knot wind, or the game is way out of wack.

IceFire
01-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Tried. I was able to take off from first try with F4U-1A, 100% fuel+178gal droptank from flag forward on Essex without dipping after leaving deck. That is +- deck length as on Saratoga from front side of biggest superstructure, noticeably less than half of its total length. You need better references and to be better pilot.

How are you managing this? In completely calm conditions, stationary Essex and Saratoga, F4U-1A in clean configuration I can't get it to take off... crash in the water each time. I'd like to consider myself pretty good at carrier ops in IL-2.

Acceleration on the deck is definitely quite slow. On a moving carrier with wind it's no problem even with a loadout but stationary is difficult.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 05:09 AM
the saratoga is 880 feet overall.

the rl chart for F4U-1 says - clean config with full load of fuel and ammo= weight ~ 12800 lbs. The chart also says for 13100 lb on hard surface and no head wind you need 910 feet.

So, that is a borderline situation. You need either:

1) some assistance from your carrier
2) some headwind
3) or lighten your fuel load.

On the other hand, if you fly F4U-1D or 1C, you probably don't need 1,2 or 3 because it is lighter plane(s).

This assumes the game is modeled correctly.

btw, 178 u.s. gal fuel ~ 1000 lbs.

btw, also saratoga top speed according to wikipedia 33-35 knots.

sawyer692
01-15-2012, 05:13 AM

Wow! You are a great pilot! You actually figure out how to defy gravity!

How about posting your flap settings? Prop pitch? Fuel mix? Carrier speed? Wind speed and direction? Mods? Type of helicopter?

Or better yet, post a video or NTRK. Or how about the MIS of the map you used.

Better pilot? hmmmmm

If you are a member of TD I think they should take a second look at you. 3 posts in 2 years and this is one of them??

sawyer692
01-15-2012, 05:16 AM
the saratoga is 880 feet overall.

the rl chart for F4U-1 says - clean config with full load of fuel and ammo= weight ~ 12800 lbs. The chart also says for 13100 lb on hard surface and no head wind you need 910 feet.

So, that is a borderline situation. You need either:

1) some assistance from your carrier
2) some headwind
3) or lighten your fuel load.

On the other hand, if you fly F4U-1D or 1C, you probably don't need 1,2 or 3 because it is lighter plane(s).

This assumes the game is modeled correctly.

btw, 178 u.s. gal fuel ~ 1000 lbs.

btw, also saratoga top speed according to wikipedia 33-35 knots.

Awesome post, great info! ;)

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Awesome post, great info! ;)

NP. But I wouldn't quite call him a liar. Maybe a smart ass is more appropriate. :-P Like I said, if the carrier is going full tilt (30+ knots)...a little more than half a carrier you should be able to do it according to the chart. So maybe he did that.

sawyer692
01-15-2012, 05:32 AM
NP. But I wouldn't quite call him a liar. Maybe a smart ass is more appropriate. :-P Like I said, if the carrier is going full tilt (30+ knots)...a little more than half a carrier you should be able to do it according to the chart. So maybe he did that.

Thanks for the advice, I edited it.

Full tilt is doable but not without dipping below the deck. Like I posted before, top speed of the carriers at the time was 33.25 knots. I'm curious if he fudged that a bit.

JtD
01-15-2012, 06:35 AM
I wish you guys would focus on something else but take off, it is a bit longer than it should be and it was said it is going to be changed a.s.a.p. So if that is your only worry, you don't need to worry any more at all.

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 07:03 AM
I wish you guys would focus on something else but take off, it is a bit longer than it should be and it was said it is going to be changed a.s.a.p. So if that is your only worry, you don't need to worry any more at all.

How about an answer to this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtD
"It says 409 mph top and this is what you get in game."

How is this achieved? Altitude, throttle, pitch, fuel, armament, difficulty switches (overheating on/off)? I have never been able to get this out of a Corsair in this sim in level flight with full real settings or otherwise. Please give me a scenario and I will try to duplicate it.

sawyer692
01-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Excellent news! That will make a lot of carrier jocks happy!

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Excellent news! That will make a lot of carrier jocks happy!

That's a start but the issue of the decreased speed of the aircraft still needs to be and addressed.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Hombre be more specific at what altitude ?

Try everything at Sea level Crimea. See what numbers you get then compare them to a specific chart from your reference.

Also read the title of that report .. it refers to a test for max performance at War Emergency Power of a "Cleaned up version"

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/zulu64/corsairclean.jpg

When I test in 4.11 Again Crimea Midday, WEP, RAD 2, 100% Fuel at 19,000ft (FTH Supercharger 3) I get the following:
240KIAS,280MPH IAS, 633KMH TAS (that works out at 393MPH TAS or 342Knots TAS)

The Max speed achieved in the Cleaned up test aircraft was as the report shows 429MPH TAS (averaged of the 2 runs). Its also worth pointing out they flew the test at 23,000ft, rather than the 19,000ft I flew the test.

Besides the altitude difference accounting for your slower in game speed, weather/temperature differences? Looks like the real life test was done during winter time. Not sure what the Crimea Midday temp is modeled to. But it's not a winter map, or is it?

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 08:59 AM
The season they did the tests in is irrelevant. It was probably done in Hawaii or somewhere in the southern part of the US where there is no winter. Besides... as I pointed out in an earlier post, this test was done early in 1943 on the earlier 1942 F4U-1s. After which the improvements were made and the C and D models were produced. Once again, refer to THIS document for the relevant test results on the 1944, 1945 C and D models we use in the sim:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf)

We need to stick to the facts here and not be assuming things that might or might not be a factor. These tests were conducted at different altitudes and weapon/fuel loadouts, but the planes were ALL loaded as the official documents clearly point out.

Edit: Also if you notice at the bottom of that doc you will see "Water available for approximately 8.5 minutes at combat power". Wasn't the water cooling removed with 4.11 which causes it to overheat more quickly?

JtD
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM

I achieved 660 km/h full switch minus
- unlimited fuel in order to keep conditions constant
- cockpit off so I could see the speed
- no wind and turbulence as this adds a random element
in a F4U-1D, standard loadout, 100% fuel at 20000ft on the Crimea map, noon, all out, rads closed, 3rd gear charger.

I could maintain that for a while before the engine gave in. 660 km/h is 410 mph.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 09:14 AM
The season they did the tests in is irrelevant. It was probably done in Hawaii or somewhere in the southern part of the US where there is no winter. Besides... as I pointed out in an earlier post, this test was done early in 1943 on the earlier 1942 F4U-1s. After which the improvements were made and the C and D models were produced. Once again, refer to THIS document for the relevant test results on the 1944, 1945 C and D models we use in the sim:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf)

We need to stick to the facts here and not be assuming things that might or might not be a factor. These tests were conducted at different altitudes and weapon/fuel loadouts, but the planes were ALL loaded as the official documents clearly point out.

Actually, the rl report that you provided says it was -30/-32 degrees C for the runs. It does matter because temperature is modeled in the game on each map. That's why there are summer and winter versions, desert...etc. The airspeed are slower on the warm maps and faster on the cold ones. It has to do with density of the air. So if Ivank is test flying on a warm map he is going to get a slower non-comparable result. And if he is flying at a lower elevation than the real life (as he pointed out), he is going to get a slower result. Assuming everything was modeled in the ballpark. I would trust Ivank based on past experience.

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I achieved 660 km/h full switch minus
- unlimited fuel in order to keep conditions constant
- cockpit off so I could see the speed
- no wind and turbulence as this adds a random element
in a F4U-1D, standard loadout, 100% fuel at 20000ft on the Crimea map, noon, all out, rads closed, 3rd gear charger.

I could maintain that for a while before the engine gave in. 660 km/h is 410 mph.

I'll give that a try. One thing I'm wondering is what you mean by "the engine gave in". How long did this take? The corsair was able to travel fairly decent distances at this speed without a problem. This is taken from Wikipedia:

"On 1 October, the XF4U-1 became the first single-engine U.S. fighter to fly faster than 400 mph (640 km/h) by setting an average ground speed of 405 miles per hour (652 km/h) during a flight from Stratford to Hartford."

That's over 50 miles from wheels up to wheels down. That is a pretty sustained distance and I'm sure they weren't blowing their engine to do it.

h0MbrE
01-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Okay, I stand corrected on the atmospheric temperature but it also says the top speed was 431mph... should we dwell on that now as well? Besides you already dismissed the data in question when you made the little red arrows pointing to the fact that the aircraft used in that test was "the cleaned up version". And as I have pointed out twice since then:

This test was done early in 1943 on the earlier 1942 F4U-1s. After which the improvements were made and the C and D models were produced. Once again, refer to THIS (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf) document for the relevant test results on the 1944, 1945 C and D models we use in the sim.

What I want to know is why are you trying to nit-pick at every little thing you can find simply to dismiss the facts when YOU KNOW the F4U in the game have nowhere near the capability they should. The real world data is in front of you, please just fix the mistake.

LesniHU
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Comments like this are a good way to turn this into a flame war. This opinion could have been expressed in a much less disrespectful way. Let's please try to keep this respectful of one another. Can you give more details as to the procedure you used in your takeoff? What were your flap settings? Prop pitch? Fuel mix? Carrier speed? Wind speed and direction? These would be helpful details. To just say "I can do it and you need to be a better pilot" are detrimental to this entire discussion.You are right.
It was 50km/h carrier speed into 10m/s wind with F4U-1A, 100% fuel+178gal droptank, takeoff flaps, radiator fully open, canopy open and seat up position. There are no tricks, just full power at full rpm and takeoff.

However lets look on context: there is someone here who starts the thread with "F4U is nerfed!" and uses a video as a proof. A video which shows a corsair takeoff from unknown point on deck (plane is already moving when takeoff recording starts!) and claims that its impossible in game and challenges others to try it. I tried it because I though it's a bug report, but now it looks that this case was usual cries or random people on internet without any hard data to support. I never claimed that I am super pilot (I'm not) and that makes result of this takeoff challenge even more sad. OTOH sawyer692 claimed that his whole squadron is in the very post I was answering to so telling him that he need better references (because this video does is not good) and better pilot (if I can do it I'm sure a squadron specialized in this plane could do it too) is only thing anyone could answer him.

Also, for record, expect high speed characteristics "nerfed" with low speed acceleration improved, thats how it is in both game and real life.

@sawyer692: you probably meant 3 posts in two days, not years, and you forgot to write that other two were with il2c data upload and helping a user in effort to solve his crashes. If your's opinion is that your posts help more than mine and that more posts makes better person, fine, I can live with it. Just do not post untrue information.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Okay, I stand corrected on the atmospheric temperature but it also says the top speed was 431mph... should we dwell on that now as well? What I want to know is why are you trying to nit-pick at every little thing you can find simply to dismiss the reality when YOU KNOW the F4U in the game have nowhere near the capability they should. The facts are in front of you, please just fix the mistake.

Dude, i haven't even tried the patch! I'm not nit picking. I just happen to have played this game long enough to figure out these guys know what they are doing. Do you really believe they haven't looked at all those reports you linked to like 1000 times over??? Believe me...they have.

Really, I'm just enjoying reading all this stuff today because CLoD was so overhyped and good old IL-2 had some secrets that finally it seems a lot of people are finally figuring out.

Arrow
01-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I'll give that a try. One thing I'm wondering is what you mean by "the engine gave in". How long did this take? The corsair was able to travel fairly decent distances at this speed without a problem. This is taken from Wikipedia:

"On 1 October, the XF4U-1 became the first single-engine U.S. fighter to fly faster than 400 mph (640 km/h) by setting an average ground speed of 405 miles per hour (652 km/h) during a flight from Stratford to Hartford."

That's over 50 miles from wheels up to wheels down. That is a pretty sustained distance and I'm sure they weren't blowing their engine to do it.

XF4U-1 is hardly a battle ready aircraft with wepons and all the imperfections of mass series production. Record setting aircraft are usually stripped of all unecessary equipment, perfectly maintained and aerodynamically cleanedw, which is hardly the case of combat aircraft that never achieve factory data and hardly so data of some record setting aircraft. I wonder what the result would be with a corsair having flown 5 missions in PTO loaded with guns, amno and maintained in the field.

IceFire
01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Okay, I stand corrected on the atmospheric temperature but it also says the top speed was 431mph... should we dwell on that now as well? Besides you already dismissed the data in question when you made the little red arrows pointing to the fact that the aircraft used in that test was "the cleaned up version". And as I have pointed out twice since then:

This test was done early in 1943 on the earlier 1942 F4U-1s. After which the improvements were made and the C and D models were produced. Once again, refer to THIS (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf) document for the relevant test results on the 1944, 1945 C and D models we use in the sim.

What I want to know is why are you trying to nit-pick at every little thing you can find simply to dismiss the facts when YOU KNOW the F4U in the game have nowhere near the capability they should. The real world data is in front of you, please just fix the mistake.
Ok... I'm confused. I looked at the document that you've mentioned and the in-game version seems to match it performance wise very closely. Particularly around Combat Power at critical altitude and at sea level.

Here are the in-game results from 4.11 that I captured with a F4U-1D:
Loadout: Default
Fuel: 100%
Throttle: 110% (WEP/Watercooling Engaged)
Radiators: Closed
Map: Crimea
At Sea Level: 579kph TAS (or 360mph)
At 6100 meters/20,013 feet: 662 kph TAS (or 411mph)

The document you posted shows basically the same results:

Sea Level: 359mph
Critical Altitude (19,900 feet): 409mph

At sea level I was in first stage supercharger. At 6100 meters I was in third stage supercharger. Fuel mixture was 100% at all times.

That seems to be bang on the results of the document that you posted. I didn't test anything except Combat power. Am I missing something?

Tolwyn
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Ok ok. I see what you're saying. Didn't mean to bite your head off. :)

That and the next post from mine says it will be fixed (adjusted, whatever).
My only point was that many campaigns/single missions would also exhibit the same issue. :)

just try it. the idea is to generate incremental additional thrust and lift for a brief period (1 or two seconds) the instant you hit the end of the deck. it works. I've been flying this sim for at least four years. Cranking the pp axis value from 100% (fine pitch) to 0%( course pitch) puts sudden load on the prop and generates a bit of acceleration for few seconds. Of course, it's modeled constant speed prop, so the rate of change on the blade pitch is in the game...so this is not a cheat. Also, it takes time for the flaps to fully extend. by the time they are fully extended, you will be ready to start retracting them. Get devicelink and look at the accel parameter.

jameson
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Some actual numbers courtesy of the the US Navy for F4U-4 (Declassified) from this PDF:

www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f4u-4.pdf

It gives take off deck lengths in feet for various conditions, main ones being:

1)With 1x 150 Gal drop tank into 25knot wind =400ft (standard fighter loadout)

2)With 1x 150 Gal drop tank in calm conditions =800ft (1 and 2: Gross weight 13 597 pounds

3)With 2x 11.75in AR+ and 8x5in HVAR into 25knot wind = 700ft

4)With 2x 11.75in AR+ and 8x5in HVAR in calm = 1400ft (3 and 4: Gross weight 16 160 pounds)

See post# 77 by Madblaster. if we are discussing the smallest carriers and MB's image is correct then at 150m (492.12 ft) deck length take off in calm condition is not possible.

The next biggest carrier is 250m (853.008 ft) and just doable in calm conditions. Note though this is only for the fighter loadout with one 150 droptank, With rockets takeoff would only be possible into 25 knot wind and with only 100ft to spare.

The largest carrier shown is 300m (984.24) ft and rocket laden in calm conditions you won't get off that either.

I'm no expert on carrier planes or operations but from the above if your getting off any carrier fully laden in calm conditions you're doing very well, (and the Corsair should be nerfed somewhat more lol!). The PDF has lots of other info, scroll down past magazine article. Any complaints on a postcard to the US Navy, please.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok ok. I see what you're saying. Didn't mean to bite your head off. :)

That and the next post from mine says it will be fixed (adjusted, whatever).
My only point was that many campaigns/single missions would also exhibit the same issue. :)

okay. just to be really really clear. when you move the pp axis from 100% to 0% suddenly, there is a built in delay in the game. you have no control over that rate of change. that is hard-coded in the game I assume based on historical rate of change on the blade pitch for typical constant speed prop. so it is not a cheat imo. the prop pitch is a control the player maps to and can move it up or down at will. all your doing is moving the power band as fast as the game will allow to try to get as much additional acceleration as you possibly can to get off the carrier. I guess it's like a car. you cruise around in first gear, push the clutch in, step on the gas to get the revs up,if your engine is torquey enough, you can burn rubber in second gear. But I think in a plane the prop blade stalls out after a certain point when your out of the power band. something like that.

Janosch
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Some actual numbers courtesy of the the US Navy for F4U-4 (Declassified) from this PDF:

Does the chart assume that the carrier is moving at the top speed? Because in calm condition, I sure can't take off a F4U-1D with tinytims, hvars and full fuel load if the carrier (Saratoga) isn't traveling at top speed.

At carrier top speed, it's still a challenge, but possible. I was the only plane flying in the test mission I tried it out with. Winds were at zero.

jameson
01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
From reading the pdf the impression I had was that wind refered to carrier speed + wind (sailing into it). 25 knots windspeed seemed also to be the maximum desirable from the charts shown. Take off distances can read off for differing windspeed and loadouts.
I have no idea if this data correlates with ingame takeoff or not, but assuming it is accurate, it's a good base from which to start discussing if it's porked or not.

dpeters95
01-15-2012, 09:06 PM

www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f4u-4.pdf

It gives take off deck lengths in feet for various conditions, main ones being:

1)With 1x 150 Gal drop tank into 25knot wind =400ft (standard fighter loadout)

2)With 1x 150 Gal drop tank in calm conditions =800ft (1 and 2: Gross weight 13 597 pounds

3)With 2x 11.75in AR+ and 8x5in HVAR into 25knot wind = 700ft

4)With 2x 11.75in AR+ and 8x5in HVAR in calm = 1400ft (3 and 4: Gross weight 16 160 pounds)

See post# 77 by Madblaster. if we are discussing the smallest carriers and MB's image is correct then at 150m (492.12 ft) deck length take off in calm condition is not possible.

The next biggest carrier is 250m (853.008 ft) and just doable in calm conditions. Note though this is only for the fighter loadout with one 150 droptank, With rockets takeoff would only be possible into 25 knot wind and with only 100ft to spare.

The largest carrier shown is 300m (984.24) ft and rocket laden in calm conditions you won't get off that either.

I'm no expert on carrier planes or operations but from the above if your getting off any carrier fully laden in calm conditions you're doing very well, (and the Corsair should be nerfed somewhat more lol!). The PDF has lots of other info, scroll down past magazine article. Any complaints on a postcard to the US Navy, please.

OK, I thought I would do some testing using these numbers. First, I may not be the best pilot out there but I am pretty good and I have been playing this game since the original release. I loaded the 1st F4U-1A carrier takeoff mission into FMB and replaced the carrier each time while setting the speed to 0 Km. It resets it to 4 Km for some reason but I would call that calm as stated in the previous specs. I also added one drop tank to the loadout. Here is what I found using MadBlaster's ship diagram:

1) CVE USS Casablanca - 150 m - Can't be done by me or the AI
2) HMS Illustrious - 240 m - Can't be done by me or the AI
3) USS Essex - 260 m - I do it 50% of time, AI does it 100% but we both have to skim the water to do it ;-)
4) USS Lexington - 300 m - I do it 75% of time, AI does it all the time. We don't have to skim the water but it falls off the end of the deck quite a bit.

I think this shows that something is not right. Even if you use the above specs, the plane is under-performing. A decent player should be able to, at least, do this from the Lexington 100% of the time without dropping down to water level. I know someone said that this would be adjusted in an earlier post and I just hope they were sincere. Also, please take a look at the F6F's they also seem to struggle off the carriers now.

jameson
01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
The F4U-4 is a different plane which didn't enter service until Oct 1944, sorry for any confusion. I found this for f4u-1
F4U-1
Fighter Bomber Fighter
(Normal) (Overload)

Gross Weight (lbs.) 11,142 11,399 12,656

Take-off distance in calm, ft. 482 507 664
Take-off distance in 15-knot wind, ft. 313 332 447
Take-off distance in 25-knot wind, ft. 217 232 318

Note that plane weighs less, and has less powerful engine, hence longer calm take off distance.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Just to be complete.

Here's the link to the pilots manual I was using:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/42209938/F4U1-Pilots-Handbook-FOI-1944pdf

page 7 say the bit about F4U-1 being ~ 800 lbs heavier than the F4U-1C/1D under full fuel and ammo loadout with no external loading (i assume this means no droptank) also, you figure the pilot weighs ~ 200 lbs and that probably isn't included in the figures.

page 65- the takeoff chart under varying scenarios (hard surface, soft...etc.)

it looks like the information from different sources differs a bit. not sure what is considered "official" for the game.

Tolwyn
01-15-2012, 10:34 PM
It is allowed "in game" but would never be done "in real life." So yes, it wouldn't be a cheat, just not even close to realistic.

okay. just to be really really clear. when you move the pp axis from 100% to 0% suddenly, there is a built in delay in the game. you have no control over that rate of change. that is hard-coded in the game I assume based on historical rate of change on the blade pitch for typical constant speed prop. so it is not a cheat imo. the prop pitch is a control the player maps to and can move it up or down at will. all your doing is moving the power band as fast as the game will allow to try to get as much additional acceleration as you possibly can to get off the carrier. I guess it's like a car. you cruise around in first gear, push the clutch in, step on the gas to get the revs up,if your engine is torquey enough, you can burn rubber in second gear. But I think in a plane the prop blade stalls out after a certain point when your out of the power band. something like that.

MadBlaster
01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
:grin: you want me to talk about my three way switch for the vdm props??? just joking, kinda of.;)

Pursuivant
01-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Ah, nothing like a chart war to go with the new patch. :)

It's nerfed! It's uber! Oleg's biased against Western Allies! Oleg's biased against the Axis!

re: Ship size. Other people have tried to claim that tanks and ships in the game are the wrong scale. It's not true. Just get the length of your favorite plane and measure it against the scale of whatever it is that you think is too big or too small. The comparative sizes will come out fairly close to reality.

Modelers bust their butts to make their models realistic. They're not going to screw up something as basic as length or width, since that will make the entire model look wrong.

re: F4U performance.

The words that jump out at me are "Cleaned Up Version." Operationally, the F4U-1 mostly operated from primitive airstrips carved out of some of the most unforgiving terrain on earth. They sure as hell weren't "cleaned up." They were constantly exposed to salt spray, mud, sand and tropical weather, maintained by overworked and relatively untrained mechanics, and regularly abused by their pilots.

Charts and tables showing prototype and test plane performance are ideals, as far removed from actual combat performance as "miles per gallon" figures in car advertisements.

That's why I'd love to see a feature within IL2 which allows users, or server hosts, to tweak aircraft performance slightly. That way you can nerf or uber your own plane as you wish.

h0MbrE
01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
"They were constantly exposed to salt spray, mud, sand and tropical weather, maintained by overworked and relatively untrained mechanics, and regularly abused by their pilots."

Ahhh I get it now... that's why the F4U is too weak to even make it off the deck now. Well that makes it okay then. LOL

mmaruda
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
It's not to weak to take off, you can take off from large carriers that are moving with a load of bombs and go straight up from the deck, takes some skill, but it's possible. Static small carriers are impossible though, but I'm not sure the Corsair operated from those.

Still, for a 2300HP engine, acceleration is a bit poor, but maybe that's the way it was.

IceFire
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
"They were constantly exposed to salt spray, mud, sand and tropical weather, maintained by overworked and relatively untrained mechanics, and regularly abused by their pilots."

Ahhh I get it now... that's why the F4U is too weak to even make it off the deck now. Well that makes it okay then. LOL

Not sure what the issue is... it's already been stated that the takeoff distance is wrong but pretty much been proven otherwise that the new performance levels match the documents that you previously provided.

IceFire
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
It's not to weak to take off, you can take off from large carriers that are moving with a load of bombs and go straight up from the deck, takes some skill, but it's possible. Static small carriers are impossible though, but I'm not sure the Corsair operated from those.

Still, for a 2300HP engine, acceleration is a bit poor, but maybe that's the way it was.

Absolutely. All of this discussion has made me go back and replay an old campaign I did (called Facing The Wind) which follows VF-84 and VF-85 during the Okinawa campaign. I haven't finished the campaign but so far every mission works just as it did before... and the first couple of missions including some fairly normal and realistic loadouts that were used during attack missions.

Taking off from a stationary deck right now does appear impossible... but with a ship underway at normal speeds everything appears to be working quite well. That includes the AI. I've had zero mishaps on takeoff (and I've been watching!).

So far the only issue I see is that takeoff distance is a bit long. Maybe something to do with low speed acceleration. Everything else seems to be fine... and working as normal. To be honest, I'm not even sure what a couple of people are up in arms about. We hear that TD broke it so they should fix it but I'm not sure what they broke or what they should fix. I'll get onboard that bandwagon as soon as someone makes sense! :)

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey all,
Here is a fun fact. Not sure I understand why but...

Since I have multiple installations of each version on my computer, I thought I would go back to V4.07m and check the F4U-1A's ability to take off from the CVE-55 escort carrier using the AI in the "Carrier Take-Off 1" mission. Well, to make a long story short in the 6 different versions, (4.07m, 4.08m, 4.09m, 4.10m, 4.10.1m, and 4.11m) it doesn't.

Here is the item of note, by accident I was fooling around with some difficulty settings and found that I can get it to take off in EVERY version, if I turn off the "Realistic Gunnery" and "Limited Ammo" settings! Now, we don't want that obviously, at least for those of us playing with realistic settings. I just thought I would pass along the info to those who know more about the programming end of it than I do to try and resolve this Take-Off issue in case they didn't already know, which they may.

I am assuming by turning these settings off that it removes the "weight of the ammo" from the plane's overall weight since you don't know what an unlimited amount of ammo weight would be???

Shaker
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Absolutely. All of this discussion has made me go back and replay an old campaign I did (called Facing The Wind) which follows VF-84 and VF-85 during the Okinawa campaign. I haven't finished the campaign but so far every mission works just as it did before... and the first couple of missions including some fairly normal and realistic loadouts that were used during attack missions.

Taking off from a stationary deck right now does appear impossible... but with a ship underway at normal speeds everything appears to be working quite well. That includes the AI. I've had zero mishaps on takeoff (and I've been watching!).

So far the only issue I see is that takeoff distance is a bit long. Maybe something to do with low speed acceleration. Everything else seems to be fine... and working as normal. To be honest, I'm not even sure what a couple of people are up in arms about. We hear that TD broke it so they should fix it but I'm not sure what they broke or what they should fix. I'll get onboard that bandwagon as soon as someone makes sense! :)

Sawyer presented quite a convincing case and did hours of testing and posting only to be met with general skepticism. I have yet to see any data from DT supporting the changes to the flight model.

The Corsair took a huge performance hit and we haven't even gotten to the Hellcat yet.

I realize that endless hours have been spent on creating this patch and for the most part it's pretty cool.

What you guys have to realize is that those of us who fly the Navy planes exclusively, we have noticed a huge difference. And there is nothing wrong with stating the "feel" of a plane isn't quite right. We aren't all modders or airplane mechanics. Not to mention some of us have families and careers so we don't have time to test out the differences between patches.

Besides I think no matter what evidence is presented here, DT will shoot it down. I've seen declassified documents which matched my so-called fan base site stats and they have been met with cynical skepticism.

Further more DT has not provided any data or reasoning as to why the Corsair has been remodelled.

I have found this whole discussion to be highly biased and unprofessional.

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

OK, well how about this making sense... The following is a list of British Pacific Fleet ESCORT CARRIERS that all contained F4u-1a squadrons:

HMS Slinger
HMS Arbiter
HMS Speaker
HMS Fencer
HMS Chaser
HMS Reaper
HMS Striker
HMS Ruler

They were all the same "class" of ship and their overall length was 492 feet 3 inches (150.04 m), pretty much the identical length (150 m) as the US Escort Carriers. I used the British carriers because the US carrier list was so long that it would have taken forever to trace down all the on board squadrons and their airplane compliment.

So that should make sense. I don't have all the spec sheets, etc., and I don't know what loads they carried, but those F4u-1A's could at a minimum fly off the Escort Carriers deck, ours currently can not...

MadBlaster
01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
please look at the link i posted and consider

the f4U-1 is ~ 12800 lb with no external loadout, full fuel tank and full ammo load. (page 1 manual not pdf#)

the pilot weights ~200 lb.

12800 + 200 = 13000

go to page 60 (manual not pdf#) of that link. look at the chart for gross weight 13100 lb for takeoff on a hard surface. notice that you need 380 feet with a 30 knot headwind or 680 feet with a 15 knot headwind.

Since 492 feet lies somewhere in between that, you reach the conclusion that in real life, you could not take off from a stationary carrier with no headwind. the carrier had to be moving, most likely at max speed around 30+ knots.

if you really want to take off on a stationary short carrier, just dump some fuel from the internal tanks. that manual I link to tells somewhere the capacity of the internal fuel tanks. so you google how much a u.s. gallon of fuel weighs and you can calculate for yourself what max internal fuel load can be done on a stationary 150 meter carrier and what can't be done.

Now, if your saying these short carriers are moving at 30 + knots and you still can't take off with just full internal fuel tanks and full ammo...then there is a problem in the game. But if the carriers are stationary, well it is to be expected that you can't take off with full fuel and full ammo.

IvanK
01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Sawyer presented quite a convincing case and did hours of testing and posting only to be met with general skepticism. I have yet to see any data from DT supporting the changes to the flight model.

The Corsair took a huge performance hit and we haven't even gotten to the Hellcat yet.

I realize that endless hours have been spent on creating this patch and for the most part it's pretty cool.

What you guys have to realize is that those of us who fly the Navy planes exclusively, we have noticed a huge difference. And there is nothing wrong with stating the "feel" of a plane isn't quite right. We aren't all modders or airplane mechanics. Not to mention some of us have families and careers so we don't have time to test out the differences between patches.

Besides I think no matter what evidence is presented here, DT will shoot it down. I've seen declassified documents which matched my so-called fan base site stats and they have been met with cynical skepticism.

Further more DT has not provided any data or reasoning as to why the Corsair has been remodelled.

Shaker I suggest you read this thread. Sawyer provided his test data and a DT member (Me) went and retested in direct response to his test data. In general the test numbers agreed well with the various data presented in the links to WWII aircraft performance sight. You will also see that in one test Sawyer forget to use WEP and consequently got a figure dramatically lower than "Book" figures.... and asked what had we done to the FM. Alas flying the test correctly resulted in reasonable values !

You imply there has been deliberate bias and imply that DT have "nerfed" the F4. I don't see any specific data from YOU to prove YOUR argument. The majority of respondents to this thread have argued their point in a mature manner and provided references to support their argument.

You say in your post:

"The Corsair took a huge performance hit and we haven't even gotten to the Hellcat yet. "

How so ? What exactly do YOU mean by a "huge" performance hit ?? Give us a specific example and a documented proof that in game its wrong.

DT listen and investigate legitimate well reasoned arguments (this thread alone is proof of this). Right now within DT there is considerable discussion and work going on with respect Carrier Take off performance in Il2 in general.

One liner cheap shots don't do anyone any good.

SaQSoN
01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Now, if your saying these short carriers are moving at 30 + knots and you still can't take off with just full internal fuel tanks and full ammo...then there is a problem in the game. But if the carriers are stationary, well it is to be expected that you can't take off with full fuel and full ammo.

1. Escort carriers were only capable of doing 18 knots.
2. F4U, F6F, TBF and TBM on this carriers were launched from catapults only.
3. Take off from a stationary carrier (as well, as landing on such) IRL was way out of common practice.

Above were just historical facts. Now my personal opinion: those, who lament "F4U is nerfed!!!", actually mean "I can not pawn with this plane anymore!!!". :-P

IceFire
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM

The only post where I found sawyer presenting his case was his testing of Corsair performance in 4.10.1 and 4.11 which proves that the Corsair numbers have changed (top speed is reduced). However, that doesn't mean that it was correct. In general the Corsair numbers are now more representative of the specific versions. So the F4U-1 versus the F4U-1A versus the F4U-1D.

In follow up posts by other posters there was official US navy documentation showing the performance numbers. So I went...great, lets do some testing. Turns out the aircraft was too fast in 4.10.1 (and previous) and matches the numbers presented almost exactly. Nobody has refuted that point yet... I'm waiting for them to tell me I'm wrong :)

The trouble with "feel" of an airplane is that it's precisely that. Someones feelings on what it is and how it should be. To some degree the feel has to be relied upon for an overall judgement on how good a plane is but you can't use it to say "it feels too slow". Often times between patches we've had entire arguments about planes only for a couple of guys to show that nothing had changed between patches... identical numbers pre and post and yet someone "felt" that it was too slow now. Feeling can't be relied upon as a successful tool.

TD didn't provide any data... that would be helpful in this discussion for sure, however, lots of other data has been provided. So far, in my own testing (which I posted about), that data that has been provided matches the new changes to the Corsair. Before the Corsair was too fast and turned much too slowly. Now it's slower but it turns much faster. I don't know what prompted it to be that much better in the turn rate (I'm happy to see such an improvement) but I am also pleased that historical numbers are reachable and not too high above or below.

I still feel like there is a lot of discussion and yet I can't figure out what the problem is. Yeah it's slower than before but that's not an argument in itself. It now more closely matches numbers provided (oddly by the people saying that it's too slow). Now what am I missing?

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 10:36 PM
please look at the link i posted and consider

the f4U-1 is ~ 12800 lb with no external loadout, full fuel tank and full ammo load. (page 1 manual not pdf#)

the pilot weights ~200 lb.

12800 + 200 = 13000

go to page 60 (manual not pdf#) of that link. look at the chart for gross weight 13100 lb for takeoff on a hard surface. notice that you need 380 feet with a 30 knot headwind or 680 feet with a 15 knot headwind.

Since 492 feet lies somewhere in between that, you reach the conclusion that in real life, you could not take off from a stationary carrier with no headwind. the carrier had to be moving, most likely at max speed around 30+ knots.

if you really want to take off on a stationary short carrier, just dump some fuel from the internal tanks. that manual I link to tells somewhere the capacity of the internal fuel tanks. so you google how much a u.s. gallon of fuel weighs and you can calculate for yourself what max internal fuel load can be done on a stationary 150 meter carrier and what can't be done.

Yes, that is what I am saying! I agree, at a stand still they should not be able to takeoff; however, the F4U-1A Take-Off Mission 1 is using the USS Casablanca Escort Carrier that is traveling 35 Km/hr and the AI cannot takeoff even with no external loading...

IceFire
01-16-2012, 10:42 PM
OK, well how about this making sense... The following is a list of British Pacific Fleet ESCORT CARRIERS that all contained F4u-1a squadrons:

HMS Slinger
HMS Arbiter
HMS Speaker
HMS Fencer
HMS Chaser
HMS Reaper
HMS Striker
HMS Ruler

They were all the same "class" of ship and their overall length was 492 feet 3 inches (150.04 m), pretty much the identical length (150 m) as the US Escort Carriers. I used the British carriers because the US carrier list was so long that it would have taken forever to trace down all the on board squadrons and their airplane compliment.

So that should make sense. I don't have all the spec sheets, etc., and I don't know what loads they carried, but those F4u-1A's could at a minimum fly off the Escort Carriers deck, ours currently can not...
Interesting to find out about those ships for sure...any idea what the requirements were for a successful launch? Use of a catapult? Minimum wind over the deck?

As far as I know the US Navy never cleared the Corsair or the Helldiver for Escort Carrier use. Even the biggest (Sangamon class) I don't think was cleared to operate with either of those types.

I am surprised that the RN would do it... but they were the ones to pioneer Corsair use on carrier decks and developed the doctrine around usage so maybe they found a way.

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
1. Escort carriers were only capable of doing 18 knots.
2. F4U, F6F, TBF and TBM on this carriers were launched from catapults only.
3. Take off from a stationary carrier (as well, as landing on such) IRL was way out of common practice.

Above were just historical facts. Now my personal opinion: those, who lament "F4U is nerfed!!!", actually mean "I can not pawn with this plane anymore!!!". :-P

Well then, you're wrong!!! First of all, this game allows a speed of 35 Km/hr check the mission in FMB. No way it should not be able to takeoff. Maybe it should be a max of 18 Km/hr but I didn't design that part either. Secondly, I only play offline but I expect to be able to takeoff of a carrier in a "Stock created mission" that was included to teach me to takeoff. Should they have picked a larger carrier, maybe, but that's not the point here...

MadBlaster
01-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, that is what I am saying! I agree, at a stand still they should not be able to takeoff; however, the F4U-1A Take-Off Mission 1 is using the USS Casablanca Escort Carrier that is traveling 35 Km/hr and the AI cannot takeoff even with no external loading...

? That's because 35 km/hr is only about 20 knots not 30 knots. Not knots..he, he made a funny.:)

sawyer692
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I still feel like there is a lot of discussion and yet I can't figure out what the problem is. Yeah it's slower than before but that's not an argument in itself. It now more closely matches numbers provided (oddly by the people saying that it's too slow). Now what am I missing?

The problem is carrier takeoffs!!!!!!!! This plane is useless unless it can be flown from carriers and in a manner that reflects real-world capabilities.

TD has stated they would fix it so I'm personally going to wait and see. I hope they succeed in making it fun again.

I also hope they look into the Hellcat having the same issue.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Hundred-Thousand-Production-Fighters/dp/0764300725

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Interesting to find out about those ships for sure...any idea what the requirements were for a successful launch? Use of a catapult? Minimum wind over the deck?

As far as I know the US Navy never cleared the Corsair or the Helldiver for Escort Carrier use. Even the biggest (Sangamon class) I don't think was cleared to operate with either of those types.

I am surprised that the RN would do it... but they were the ones to pioneer Corsair use on carrier decks and developed the doctrine around usage so maybe they found a way.

Actually, I was surprised also. I didn't think F4U's were used on any escort carriers except for transport. I have seen pictures of F4U's on an escort carrier but they were being moved to a land based airfield.

Yes, you're correct. The RN actually figured out by performing a sort of semi-circle (as opposed to a longer straight in approach) they could avoid the "Left Wing Stall" that the US pilots complained about when trying to land. Actually, I think there were more F4U's on RN carriers than on US carriers. The vast majority were used from land based airfields by the US Marine Corps.

IceFire
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM

With F4U-1A you can't but with the F4U-1D you can with armament but the fuel load can't be above 70% in my testing. I might be able to squeak it at 80% but I couldn't do it with a full fuel load. Reduce the fuel load and add armament and I may also be able to do it... the AI was able to get it off the deck with AP rockets attached which I was impressed with!

It's definitely the weight as the F4U-1A is heavier than the 1D.

Aside from the 35 kph of the ship those missions have no wind represented so it's undoubtedly easier to do with wind configured as being across the deck. It's a newer feature and those old missions don't have it set up...

Since JtD has already said the takeoff distance is too long... I suspect that it should be possible to takeoff from a CVE again once the values for takeoff performance are corrected.

IceFire
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
The problem is carrier takeoffs!!!!!!!! This plane is useless unless it can be flown from carriers and in a manner that reflects real-world capabilities.

TD has stated they would fix it so I'm personally going to wait and see. I hope they succeed in making it fun again.

I also hope they look into the Hellcat having the same issue.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Hundred-Thousand-Production-Fighters/dp/0764300725
Here I was thinking everyone was still talking about the maximum speed and that had me so very confused.

You can takeoff from carrier decks... just not from carriers at a standstill. Still... I'm glad it's being fixed. So far I haven't found any of my campaign missions broken because of the lengthened requirements but I'm still glad.

sawyer692
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Again:

IceFire
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Actually, I was surprised also. I didn't think F4U's were used on any escort carriers except for transport. I have seen pictures of F4U's on an escort carrier but they were being moved to a land based airfield.

Yes, you're correct. The RN actually figured out by performing a sort of semi-circle (as opposed to a longer straight in approach) they could avoid the "Left Wing Stall" that the US pilots complained about when trying to land. Actually, I think there were more F4U's on RN carriers than on US carriers. The vast majority were used from land based airfields by the US Marine Corps.
Very interesting for sure!

I think it'd be an interesting direction to do a bit more work on the British Pacific Fleet operations in IL-2. A map of the Oil Refinery at Palembang, map of the area around Tokyo, a Firefly, a Ki-44, and Ki-48 and we could do most of the scenario. Oh and of course the RN escort carriers... but not all of them I guess because many of these would be US built and therefore owned by the infamous N-G... hopes dashed. Still we could do a lot with the main fleet carriers and the Corsairs we already have the FAA versions of the Corsairs.

MadBlaster
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Again:

and again, the Cassablanca was only http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Casablanca_%28CVE-55%29

just read it.

IceFire
01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Well then, you're wrong!!! First of all, this game allows a speed of 35 Km/hr check the mission in FMB. No way it should not be able to takeoff. Maybe it should be a max of 18 Km/hr but I didn't design that part either. Secondly, I only play offline but I expect to be able to takeoff of a carrier in a "Stock created mission" that was included to teach me to takeoff. Should they have picked a larger carrier, maybe, but that's not the point here...

To be fair... picking a CVE for takeoff in a training mission was quite silly of the original Pacific Fighters mission designers. I suspect there was some unfamiliarity with the Pacific theater and US carrier ops as it's an unusual choice. From a Essex class the takeoff is no problem.

18 knots would be 33 kph so about the speed of the carriers in the mission.

It is possible to takeoff but not with the full fuel load and not with any significant armaments. In the RN circumstance I don't think they used anything more than two 500lb bombs on their Corsair IIs and IVs and I'm not sure if they would have used those on their Escort Carriers. Something to look into. In any case... with the takeoff distance being corrected I think we should see some of this go away.

sawyer692
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
and again, the Cassablanca was only http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Casablanca_%28CVE-55%29

just read it.

I'm not sure I know where you're going with that link ??

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me??

"Escort Carriers .
Casablanca Class . 1943-44 . 6,730 tons ; 28 aircraft ; 512 feet ; 18 knots.
Fifty (50) ships: CVE-55 to CVE-104. The demand for escort carriers was extensive. The Casablanca Class were built by Kaiser using mass production techniques to a fast transport (P-1), design for speed of construction, but were intended as escort carriers from the ground up. All went to USN, almost all to the Pacific. Twin screws; two lifts; one catapult; 500 x 108 foot flight deck."

Bearcat
01-16-2012, 11:28 PM

I think you are in denial. I will grant you that it has appeared in the past that some Russian planes were more ... optimistically modeled, I'll put it that way .. but the American planes in this sim almost from day one have been modeled questionably .. for what it's worth it seems to me as if the F4 stalls a lot easier now... it rolls slower ... and it doesn't seem to pick up speed as fast. It seems to have that balancing on a pencil thing that the P-51s used to have..

F19_Klunk
01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Length of the escort carriers have no relevance.. they were equipped with catapults, which are not modeled in IL2

http://www.svaf.net/temp/kwaja.jpg
http://www.svaf.net/temp/gilbert.jpg
http://www.svaf.net/temp/sarg.jpg

Source picture: "F4U Corsair in action" - Squadron/signal publications AIRCRAFT NO. 29 and "F4U in Color - Squadron/signal publications"

dpeters95
01-16-2012, 11:47 PM
? That's because 35 km/hr is only about 20 knots not 30 knots. Not knots..he, he made a funny.:)

Ahh, true. To be honest, I was thinking knots. But I would think 20 knots should also work, right?

mmaruda
01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Did some testing on take off missions for carriers.

Corsair, all versions: stationary carrier take off training missions work, it's possible to get off the deck and fly, but those are large carriers. Moving carriers however are the small ones - impossible to take off, no matter engine setting (tried even with superchargers).

Same thing goes for the Hellcats.
Wildcats have no problem with any carriers.

Now, people say that US Navy planes got the nerf.

Let's try the Seafire!
British carrier in the missions is larger than the small US ones, bigger wingspan and all - should be easy. Nope!
On a moving carrier the seafire barely gets off the deck, if you forget flaps (landing only), you're going for a swim.
Static carrier is impossible.

Now, several things that come to my mind.

1. In the first IL-2 Pacific Fighters versions there were also problems with carrier take-offs. This is funny because since the first Forgotten Battles, the planes got a bit of a power boost, and some realism fans were outraged by the too easy FMs (the Polish website Yoyosims.pl still has the reviews, that criticise the FMs of FB and PF significantly and the guys who wrote them really know a lot on WWII aviation).
2. Both the small carriers and the British one have catapults which do not work in the game, maybe historically the heavier planes were launched with these when the travelled slow and with no wind?
3. The missions are old, probably don't feature wind and most probably were carelessly designed just to show carrier take-offs.
4. Every campaign you start positions you on a large carrier and has you take off with the ship going at max speed and into the wind. This is the impression I got after several hours of testing.

Conclusion: apart from the training missions and user made missions with the same conditions as the training ones, there is no real problem with taking off from carriers in the campaigns. So the Corsair performance isn't necessarily wrong.

Our problem has several solutions:
1. TD works on a hotfix covering take-off acceleration for all the navy planes, so they can get off the deck (as clearly it's not only the F4U that has problems).
2. TD works on a hotfix that enables catapults for carriers (there is a mod for this available for some time now, and it even features AI using the catapult, so it should not be too hard).
3. Someone finally provides proof that small carriers did not launch the heavier planes without catapult or at all, or whatever, so we could finally close the deal on navy planes and "learn to like it" the way it is.

MadBlaster
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
okay, here's rough calculation for 18 knots. you can do same for 20 knots if you want. pulling data from my other post:

So for 18 knot, to figure required distance from the chart data:
680 ft-380ft=300 ft (distance differential)
30 knot-15 knot=15 knot (headwind differential)
300 ft /15knot = 20 ft/knot (relate the two differential)
18 knot-15 knot = 3 knot (18 knots is what we knot, not 15 knots...he, he another one)

3knot*20ft/knot = 60 ft
680 ft-60ft ~ 620 feet needed at 18 knots.
Casablanca is 512 ft, so too short at 18 knots.

F19_Klunk
01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
again..For me discussing the take off length in irrelevant as it seems that catapult was used both on Essex class carriers and escort carriers...
Too bad it's not modeled. If it was we wouldn't discuss takeoff but rather the rest of the FM.

http://www.svaf.net/temp/york.jpg

WTE_Galway
01-17-2012, 12:01 AM

HMS Slinger
HMS Arbiter
HMS Speaker
HMS Fencer
HMS Chaser
HMS Reaper
HMS Striker
HMS Ruler

The British F4Us were not identical to the US ones. Among other things they had about 20 cm clipped off the wings.

Note that these British ships were lend lease Bogue Class carriers fitted with catapults.

A random clip of F4Us corsairs taking off from a larger (non catapult) carrier ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SngBxtYFao

F19_Klunk
01-17-2012, 12:03 AM
2. TD works on a hotfix that enables catapults for carriers (there is a mod for this available for some time now, and it even features AI using the catapult, so it should not be too hard).

That would be the solution

MadBlaster
01-17-2012, 12:05 AM
yes, bring on the catapults. no more math.;)

dpeters95
01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
To be fair... picking a CVE for takeoff in a training mission was quite silly of the original Pacific Fighters mission designers. I suspect there was some unfamiliarity with the Pacific theater and US carrier ops as it's an unusual choice. From a Essex class the takeoff is no problem.

18 knots would be 33 kph so about the speed of the carriers in the mission.

It is possible to takeoff but not with the full fuel load and not with any significant armaments. In the RN circumstance I don't think they used anything more than two 500lb bombs on their Corsair IIs and IVs and I'm not sure if they would have used those on their Escort Carriers. Something to look into. In any case... with the takeoff distance being corrected I think we should see some of this go away.

I agree. I'm not asking for a "super plane". It's only fun playing a simulator when you are actually simulating something. I just feel that the acceleration is too slow. When I watch my takeoff from an external view, the F4U-1A looks like it's rolling through a swamp.

F19_Klunk
01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
yes, bring on the catapults. no more math.;)

thank you!!!! it IS so irrelevant. The decks could have been 50m....still being able to take off ..with catapults.. which WAS USED.. acceleration is a non-issue

EDIT:: well it is an issue.. I guess.. as we don't have catapults yet and we must be able to fly missions still :)

dpeters95
01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
The British F4Us were not identical to the US ones. Among other things they had about 20 cm clipped off the wings.

Note that these British ships were lend lease Bogue Class carriers fitted with catapults.

A random clip of F4Us corsairs taking off from a larger (non catapult) carrier ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SngBxtYFao

That's great. You can really see the rounded off carrier approach that was used to defeat the "Left Wing Stall" problem.

You can also see that they are starting around the island which would be mid-shipish. I can't tell if they reach the end of the carrier from the angle but they all jump off regardless. None of them fall off the end. I know, I know, they are traveling at mach 1 with a 1oo mph headwind ;)

sawyer692
01-17-2012, 01:04 AM
thank you!!!! it IS so irrelevant. The decks could have been 50m....still being able to take off ..with catapults.. which WAS USED.. acceleration is a non-issue

EDIT:: well it is an issue.. I guess.. as we don't have catapults yet and we must be able to fly missions still :)

Seriously? You want to band-aid this issue with catapults? wow

mmaruda
01-17-2012, 01:26 AM
There is already a mod activator for 4.11 so I decided to check it out with the new catapult mod (also beta). Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Anyway, since the mod community decided to stick to 4.10 for now, no unofficial solution can be expected any time soon.

So, all in favour of TD making a hotfix for working catapults?

Just to be clear. Apart from the training missions and custom missions/campaigns I haven't noticed any official Dgen stuff that would make it impossible to take of from the carrier, which for offline play on stock campaigns is ok, since you can fly a campaign with Navy planes and have fun (unless I am mistaken, if so please correct me). However, IL-2 is a simulator, so it should depict the real thing more or less. With Navy planes and small carriers it doesn't at the moment.

We are unable to reach a proof supported conclusion regarding aircraft performance here. The "porked FM" issue was raised time and again as long as the game exists and frankly speaking I'm tired of it. There will always be someone unhappy, because his fav plane is not as good in the game as his fav propaganda source says. This always leads to another patch having an overmodelled FM for some AC, because enough people shouted loud enough. Lets just leave it the way it is. The Corsair was mostly used by the US Marines for CAS missions, it does the job. The only thing that everyone here objectively agrees on, is that it's impossible to take off from smaller carriers. IMO catapults are the best solution, since they should be in the game to begin with and we already know it can be done.

Could anyone from TD kindly say if it would be possible in the near future (yes NEAR, remember the world end this year?). :)

WTE_Galway
01-17-2012, 01:36 AM
That's great. You can really see the rounded off carrier approach that was used to defeat the "Left Wing Stall" problem.

You can also see that they are starting around the island which would be mid-shipish. I can't tell if they reach the end of the carrier from the angle but they all jump off regardless. None of them fall off the end. I know, I know, they are traveling at mach 1 with a 1oo mph headwind ;)

The carrier looks like either HMS Illustrious or HMS Formidable, either way much larger than an escort carrier and capable of 30 knots under way.

One other thing the video shows clearly is the clipped wings on the RAF variant of the F4U.

sawyer692
01-17-2012, 02:15 AM
because his fav plane is not as good in the game as his fav propaganda source says.

Are you suggesting video footage from the time period is just propaganda?

Do you not think carrier-borne aircraft should be able to take off from a carrier in a realistic manner?

Do you think tweaking the FM to help its behavior on carrier takeoffs will make it a better dogfighting machine?

Don't make this something it isn't. Nobody's looking for an uber plane. If we wanted an "easy" plane to fly or to get kills in, it would not be a Navy plane!

The arguments presented are legit and hopefully the info provided will be helpful to Team D.

stugumby
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r9I--M7owE

h0MbrE
01-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Seriously? You want to band-aid this issue with catapults? wow

That was my exact same reaction.

Pips
01-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Been following this thread with much fascination. Aircraft performance discussion's are always a passionate, hard argued topic.

Several good points have been made on both sides, although not always accepted by those of a different view. Many links have been offered touting flight information, which again are not always accepted by those with a different view.

We all have our own preferences and beliefs, and changing anyone's view is a very hard thing to do. Lots of facts and figures can often get in the way of reaching an agreement. Especially as there doesn't seem to be an agreement of just 'one' set of figures for performance.

Which in a roundabout way brings me to my question.

In all the various threads with links/comments to performance graphs and figures, no mention has been made of the those contained in the superb book "America's Hundred Thousand: US Production Fighters of WWII" by Francis H. Dean.
This book contains it all; info on all 11 US fighter aircraft (and all sub-models), graphs, figures, turn rates, roll rates, climb rates, development background, performance, compressability effects, aircraft comparisons, take-off runs, loads (fuel and ammo), weights, engine settings for all forms of flight and so on. If that was used as the basis for modelling US aircraft flight performance it sure would go a long way to avoiding this form of dispute.

One of the little gems covered in the book is the issue of water-alcohol injection (WEP) for the F6F-3. It's been mentioned in the v4.11 ReadMe that TD has dropped WEP for the -3 model (but retained for the -5) in the interests of historical accuracy.

That however is not quite correct.

Whilst the F6F-3 originally was produced without WEP installed, following it's first actions by VF-33 in August '43 BuAer requested Grumman to fit WEP to all new -3 models, and to organise retrofitting of those already produced.
It didn't happen overnight, but by January '44 60% of all in-service F6F-3's had been fitted with the water-injected P&W R-2800-10W engine. That's covered in the book on Pages 26, 560 and 584.

So on that account TD should perhaps revert to the v4.10 setting for the F6F-3 model.

sawyer692
01-17-2012, 06:43 AM
In all the various threads with links/comments to performance graphs and figures, no mention has been made of the those contained in the superb book "America's Hundred Thousand: US Production Fighters of WWII" by Francis H. Dean.

I made mention of that book in post #21 of this thread:

"According to "America's Hundred Thousand", all Navy planes, with full load, could take off on an empty deck, using full length with no wind and no ship speed, except the F6F-3."

Excellent post by the way.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers or start bickering back and forth with folks. I think this patch is a really good addition to this sim.

It just happens the F4U (and the F6F) are planes I fly exclusively and they cannot afford to be tweaked in such a way that allows carrier ops to be so lacking. If they were strictly land-based planes, I don't think such a stink would have been made.

Team Diadalos mentioned they will fix the problem and I trust they will follow through. I don't want this to give the impression the patch is unappreciated.

Robo.
01-17-2012, 07:46 AM
ignore please

6S.Maraz
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
One of the little gems covered in the book is the issue of water-alcohol injection (WEP) for the F6F-3. It's been mentioned in the v4.11 ReadMe that TD has dropped WEP for the -3 model (but retained for the -5) in the interests of historical accuracy.

That however is not quite correct.

Whilst the F6F-3 originally was produced without WEP installed, following it's first actions by VF-33 in August '43 BuAer requested Grumman to fit WEP to all new -3 models, and to organise retrofitting of those already produced.
It didn't happen overnight, but by January '44 60% of all in-service F6F-3's had been fitted with the water-injected P&W R-2800-10W engine. That's covered in the book on Pages 26, 560 and 584.

So on that account TD should perhaps revert to the v4.10 setting for the F6F-3 model.

Hi,
we are aware that WEP was fitted to F6F-3 during their operational carreer.
Unfortunately we cannot activate FM features according to mission date (up to now).

So we decided to leave F6F-3 without water injection in order to have two different models, one representy an early plane, retaining old performance, the other one (F6F-5) getting a boost. Otherwise we would have had two almost identic planes.

And no, we cannot add a new slot for a late F6F-3, unfortunately (Grumman F6F-3 is the complete name of this aircraft).

Thanks for your report and your support.
Maraz

Janosch
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Did some testing on take off missions for carriers.

Let's try the Seafire!
British carrier in the missions is larger than the small US ones, bigger wingspan and all - should be easy. Nope!
On a moving carrier the seafire barely gets off the deck, if you forget flaps (landing only), you're going for a swim.
Static carrier is impossible.

A certain kind soul on mission4today gave a tip regarding landing gear in a discussion about the F4U fm: only raise landing gear after you begin to get altitude - not right after the deck ends. I haven't done many tests regarding this method versus raising gear immediately, but it seems to work.

In the builtin carrier takeoff missions, I managed to take off the Seafire with ammo and 100% fuel load from both static and moving carriers. Lower flaps no later than the 420 marker, keep nose slightly above horizon and the plane will take off. It's very hairy with a static carrier though, as the lowered landing gear almost hit water. Needless to say, I used 110% wep!

WTE_Galway
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
In reality the plane that was historically regarded as dangerous to take off from a carrier was a fully loaded SDB ...

LIEUTENANT H. B. HARDEN, USN Air Operations, USS ENTERPRISE
Bureau of Aeronautics March 4, 1943
http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Aircraft/CV6Airgroup/ (last page)

Q. You mentioned the overloading of the SBD. Is there any feeling out there feeling that radar is being forced on the Fleet as necessary equipment?

A. No, the feeling was simply this, that the plane was at the present time so heavy that it was dangerous on every take-off that the addition of some equipment which they were not trained to use was not justified.

Jumoschwanz
01-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I tested the F4u on the Pacific Map and I found a 80km/hr advantage over the A6m5 at sea level at noon, and a 60km/hr advantage at 5000 meters altitude.
Also as usual the Corsair and most other allied aircraft are going to have an advantage in maneuverability at high speed.
No reason to get shot down by a zero unless you screw up or are bounced.

If you are having overheating issues then you simply do not know how to manage the engine. With the radiator open at 85% prop pitch I was able to run Corsairs on WEP for very long periods of time, longer than many other aircraft before I had overheating issues.

The Corsair will be king of the Pacific on 1943 maps. On 1944 maps the J2m3 and the Ki-84 will give it trouble, but that is what the late Japanese aircraft were built for, to compete with the late U.S. fighters and bombers.

I know a few specialists who are real terrors in the Corsair in slow turning dogfights no matter what they are up against, if the Corsair turns even better now then it is going to be interesting going up against them...

I would fly the Corsair like the FW190A, keep it fast and try to have an advantage of speed and/or surprise when you attack. Flying that way with a squad on coms should make you as successful as anyone on any server.

If you are flying on the deck in furballs on arcade settings without using historical tactics then there is no discussion even worth having....

ACE-OF-ACES
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I tested the F4u on the Pacific Map and I found a 80km/hr advantage over the A6m5 at sea level at noon, and a 60km/hr advantage at 5000 meters altitude.
Pacific Map.. Not sure which map the IL-2Compare 4.11 data is realitve to, but it got simular values, i.e.

@ SL
567 kph F4u-1A
465 kph A6M5a
--------------------
102 kph

@ 5,000m
630 kph F4u-1A
542 kph A6M5a
--------------------
88 kph

Also as usual the Corsair and most other allied aircraft are going to have an advantage in maneuverability at high speed.
Sadly IL-2Comapre does NOT show roll rates, but at 1,000m the ZERO out flat turns the F4u at speeds below 430kph, Above that speed the F4U turns better, which would agree with your statment.

If you are flying on the deck in furballs on arcade settings without using historical tactics then there is no discussion even worth having....
Agreed

Jumoschwanz
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I set the 1944 Corsair up on the Lexington with the carrier traveling at 32km/hr and I took off with 100% fuel and two 500lb bombs on my second try. After I went in the drink on the first attempt I watched the AI take off with a weapons load and it taught me a few things.

I used full throttle, 100% prop pitch and full flaps as I always have.

I noticed that when the AI left the end of the deck, they immediately raised their landing gear and then actually flew their aircraft at an angle towards the surface of the water to pick up airspeed, then leveled out just above it.

If you leave the end of the carrier deck and try to hold the aircraft level and maintain altitude it will not work.

I am sure that most missions flown on and probably even off line will not require near 100% fuel, so with 25%-50% fuel and a weapons load things should be a lot easier.

I am not saying that IL2 is a perfect representation of Corsair and Carrier operations in WWII, but it it the best we have and if I can take off with a good fuel load and a few bombs then it will do the job for now.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Oh... different font face... interesting. Impact is no web font though. Sry to be OT. :grin:

Snake
01-20-2012, 09:18 PM

HA HA!!! +10!! So well said!

Whacker
02-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi friends, I know this is a bit of a "hairy" thread, but would like to throw my own 2 cents in here.

First off, I love the 4.11 patch and can't wait for Modact and HSFX to start supporting it. And a big thank you to Team D for continuing to to support their game, I bought every version and expansion at release and it's money well spent.

On topic, I think there is something slightly wonky about the F4U-1x's that bears investigation. I've been monkeying around with carrier takeoffs, both on the shorter CVEs and the bigger Essex CV's, and it's been a nightmare. I can't take off on the CVE to save my life, stationary or moving, ordinance or none. Fiddled with the missions a bit using the FMB and still no luck. I tried just about every suggestion in this thread that I could find but no joy.

I saw someone's comment about a book mentioning that "All US naval aircraft could take off fully loaded from a stationary aircraft carrier", so I started doing a bit of digging myself. I found this information here: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html which appears to reference a number of official publishings from the manufacturers and military testing. It just says the -1 version and not which subvariant. Regardless, the data on take-off distances vs. fuel load is interesting. "Overload" which appears to be full fuel t/o dist with no wind is 660ish ft, 100 over the length of the Casablanca class CVE's in game. 15 kt headwind is pushing it, 25 kt is faster than the CVEs can go but adding headwind to make up for it can be done. I still couldn't take off with a combined 25 kt Wind Over Deck with full fuel as indicated by that source. With a 310ish ft t/o distance the F4U should pretty much leap off the deck, like we see in some of the Youtube videos posted.

As a few others point out, there are some interim solutions that can put a bandaid on this in the mean time, but I would submit to TD that this does bear some investigation.

;-)

BadAim
02-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I haven't read all of the rest of this thread so I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I can say that I've never read anything about the F4U being used operationally from a CVE, and as far as I know it took the Brits to figure out how to fly the damn thing from a fleet carrier. I just don't see why anyone would expect the F4U to be useful from a CVE in IL2 if it wasn't used that way during the war. If I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected by someone who actually knows, as I'm no expert on the Pacific theater and I've only been studying it in any depth in the last couple of years.

Past any actual evidence, I'd expect a plane the size and wing loading (not to mention the nassty stall characteristics) of the Corsair to have trouble on anything the size of a CVE. That of course that doesn't mean anything.

IceFire
02-04-2012, 12:10 AM
I haven't read all of the rest of this thread so I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I can say that I've never read anything about the F4U being used operationally from a CVE, and as far as I know it took the Brits to figure out how to fly the damn thing from a fleet carrier. I just don't see why anyone would expect the F4U to be useful from a CVE in IL2 if it wasn't used that way during the war. If I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected by someone who actually knows, as I'm no expert on the Pacific theater and I've only been studying it in any depth in the last couple of years.

Past any actual evidence, I'd expect a plane the size and wing loading (not to mention the nassty stall characteristics) of the Corsair to have trouble on anything the size of a CVE. That of course that doesn't mean anything.
Interesting discussion we had on another thread (or maybe forum) about Corsair use on CVE's. There were some that did have Corsair use. The RN used Corsairs from both full sized and escort class carriers which I found fascinating. The CVE use was somewhat limited and I believe catapult launches were a requirement for full fuel/armament loads.

I can't find the references right now... but there are a couple of pictures we found in a Squadron Signal Corsair book and elsewhere on the net.

BadAim
02-04-2012, 12:57 AM
It seems that the Brits are the pioneers as far as the Corsair is concerned. I certainly don't find it surprising that even they found the CVE troublesome. The F4U is a handful by any estimation, it seems to me that a lot of people are expecting these planes to be much easier to fly in the sim than they were in real life, but then again this is only my opinion and I could be wrong.

BadAim
02-04-2012, 01:01 AM
On the other hand, most of us probably have more hours in this sim than any WWII pilot could ever dream of having in real life. Perhaps we should do better?

IceFire
02-04-2012, 01:46 AM
On the other hand, most of us probably have more hours in this sim than any WWII pilot could ever dream of having in real life. Perhaps we should do better?

I think that's very much the truth. Aside from the not dying and the terror of it all... we also have the advantage of hindsight and so much more time to practice. The average USAAF pilot in 1941 had very little idea of what capabilities the Zero had. The first time I went against a Zero in a P-40 I knew exactly what the Zero's reputation was and how to defeat it.

Of course, not all pilots out there are also students of history... but some are! :)

Whacker
02-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm not 100% sure about F4U's operating from CVEs during WWII, but I've seen a number of pictures of them on the end of the flight deck waiting for takeoff during the Korean War.

ElAurens
02-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Those would be the later versions that have a LOT more power than the WW2 birds did.

BadAim
02-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Those would be the later versions that have a LOT more power than the WW2 birds did.

LOL, power is great equalizer is it not?

Bob_Drugstore_Arp
02-05-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm not 100% sure about F4U's operating from CVEs during WWII, but I've seen a number of pictures of them on the end of the flight deck waiting for takeoff during the Korean War.

Catapult is utilized on the end of the flight deck. So you've seen those Corsairs there.

WhistlinggDeath
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Sawyer, my man, I just read thru all 19 pages of this post and took a bit to digest it (and look at everyone's links as well and documentation). Then I looked at the source code for the new Corsair flight models in 4.11, versus 4.10.1. As you can tell from my callsign, I fly Corsairs in full real..... alot. For 18 months, thru Hyperlobby, I operated a primarily full real duel server and got many, many corsair challenges. In 248 matches (and counting) of corsair versus corsair (with exact same plane, same starting altitude, same fuel load and same armament, etc..), I have not been defeated. (actually, I have been defeated but in the Bf-109 G2, which I dislike). Like you, Hombre and many others, I know the Corsair well. When to run in it, when to turn with it (and against whom), at what alt to climb at, etc... etc...

..All said and done, 4.11 is a downgrade. And not because the reality was that that was in fact how the corsair actually flew.

The corsair in 4.10.1 or any previous patch never matched real life corsairs (when I compare all the documentation presented) but as several noted, .... was acceptable, and if used correctly, could still kill well, provided the opposition did not all fly the Spit 25lbs and 185 M-71. In 4.11, the Corsair has been (along with the P51, TA, FWs and Tempy) downgraded by the changed FM along with the effects of the over reaching overheat model. I couldnt agree with any poster that I have seen here at the 1C forums more than what I have read from your comments. I believe you are USN_Sawyer correct ? If so, I have met you and you can indeed fly the corsair close to its operational limits (and the people I say this of, number about five to seven). I know that Hombre is USN_Hombre, so are you, USN_Sawyer ?

Pips
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Sad to say but I don't think you will ever convince the TD Team WhistlinggDeath. I agree with you, the F4U is under-modelled, as is the F6F. Less so the F4F, P-51 and the P-47. The P-38, P-39 and P-40 are quite good.

sawyer692
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
I believe you are USN_Sawyer correct ? If so, I have met you and you can indeed fly the corsair close to its operational limits (and the people I say this of, number about five to seven). I know that Hombre is USN_Hombre, so are you, USN_Sawyer ?

Correct, USN_Saw actually. I'm OPS officer at USN squad.

Thanks for the support!

I'm not too concerned with the top speed (it actually seems pretty close) or the turning really. Those can be re-learned by practice.

It's simply getting off the carrier that bothers me.

Thankfully, they said they would fix it and our squad awaits anxiously for the next patch.

(Your name is very familiar but I can't place you. Where have we met??)

WhistlinggDeath
02-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Yes Sawyer, I have flown with USN before on a few missions and hosted Hombre for a few fights (but way back in early 2010). Have also flown with BS_Vidar and a few of the Black Sheep on occasion. Aside from a few difficult fights with 357th_ULTI and LYNX_11, always had a hard time locating skilled Corsair foes to fight or fly with. You, Vidar and maybe one or two others are all I can remember as being really competent :)

sawyer692
02-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Yes Sawyer, I have flown with USN before on a few missions and hosted Hombre for a few fights (but way back in early 2010). Have also flown with BS_Vidar and a few of the Black Sheep on occasion. Aside from a few difficult fights with 357th_ULTI and LYNX_11, always had a hard time locating skilled Corsair foes to fight or fly with. You, Vidar and maybe one or two others are all I can remember as being really competent :)

aahhh. Well if you see me, Hombre or any USN guys online we all love the Corsair and will fly with or against you anytime. None of us really fly online outside the squad functions so we'll host a map.

I agree it's getting harder to find guys flying these Navy planes. We've been doing squad vs squad fights against the Bounty Hunters and they know their Corsairs well.

Post or PM your HL name and I'll add you to my friends list

rfxcasey
02-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Legend in your own mind huh....

aahhh. Well if you see me, Hombre or any USN guys online we all love the Corsair and will fly with or against you anytime. None of us really fly online outside the squad functions so we'll host a map.

I agree it's getting harder to find guys flying these Navy planes. We've been doing squad vs squad fights against the Bounty Hunters and they know their Corsairs well.

Post or PM your HL name and I'll add you to my friends list

Ah yes, herd NAWS is longer of this world. Tis a pitty...

sawyer692
02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, our CO: USN_NAWS, passed away following a surgury last April. RIP NAWS