PDA

View Full Version : AI use of ailerons

greybeard1
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I would be curious to know why AI does not use ailerons.

Just from early IL-2, watching AI, I was struck how it flew virtually only by rudder. Now I'm running 4.10.1 and still can't notice any aileron movement: only rudder and secondarily elevators.

Thanks,
GB

Lagarto
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I guess the AI simply doesn't need ailerons because it uses its own, very simplified flight model; that's why it can, for example, lower and raise flaps at any speed without getting them stuck and do other weird things.

Shardur
12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
have you never seen the AI roll?

I have not checked if the aileron movement on the AI planes is graphically modeled, but seeing how they roll they are definitely using ailerons.

greybeard1
12-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Yes, of course I see AI rolling the plane, but can't notice any visible aileron movement; what AI seems constantly use is rudder, often fully deflected to one side or another.

I go with Lagarto: AI's FM is extremely simplified as its cheating seems to demonstrate; but how much makes sense a roll performed by rudder only? And what I'm doing against an AI exploiting such a physics?:confused:

EJGr.Ost_Caspar
12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I wonder, why you think, AI isn't using aileron? They do it quite often and intensively... i.e. in evading maneuvers. And its also graphically modeled (animated).

My bet is, you just need to take a closer look.
Open QMB, set 'Pos' to '+' (advantage), play a few seconds and watch the AI in front of you, they probably will roll imidiatly - check ailerons. From your cockpit its hardly visible, but from closeup... well you will see.

greybeard1
12-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Caspar, you're right.

I did as you suggested and after a first failed attempt with FW 189 (it immediately acted on its rudder until shoot down, without even attempting a roll) I observed plenty of aileron movement on a FW 190 A.

Actually, one needs to watch from closest external view (gunsight view) to see, while from player's cockpit, even at close range, I'm unable to see any aileron movement, on the contrary of other sims, to which I'm accustomed.

Thanks for suggestion,
GB

K_Freddie
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Always seen control surface movements from wayyyy back, helps me predict what the sucker is about to do..:cool:

rollnloop
12-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Now AI uses too much rudder in a supposedly coordinated turn, but it's another problem... still quite boring when you're a wingman trying to stay in close formation.

zxwings
01-01-2012, 11:40 AM
You can never roll with the ailerons as fast as the AI. If you often watch them fighting you know this.