PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 sources

bitterman
12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone. I've heard that il-2 source codes were opened and published at least in 2008 year. I haven't found any. Are they opened? If so, where they could be seen? If no, is it possible they would be opened?

FC99
12-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone. I've heard that il-2 source codes were opened and published at least in 2008 year. I haven't found any. Are they opened? If so, where they could be seen? If no, is it possible they would be opened?
Source code is not opened, it was hacked. Any use of such code is unauthorized. To find it you must look at some other place.

bitterman
12-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. And one more question: is it possible il-2 will ever be open-sourced project? The community is big. There are thousands of potential testers (players). Code revision control systems (like git) can prevent mistakes, intentional nasty things and so on. I suppose, DT has nothing to lose in such way: 1) if code was hacked, so it lays somewhere and someone already can use it (as for me, i'm not going to search hacked one); 2) it can be under non-commercial licence; 3) none of players pay DT for the done work! (i haven't heard for donations, if they exists). There's too much work for a group of people who are driven with enthusiasm only.
The results are obvious. I think, things will go faster if more peole will work on the project.
Is it real or i'm just naive?

FC99
12-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think that Il2 will be opened. It was never meant to be open source project and I don't think that anybody in 1C or in UBI is interested in making it open source.

As COD is out and it is the flight sim that is supposed to make some money nobody have interest in wasting time on Il2. It is questionable if it is possible at all to find whole code considering all the personal changes in Il2 development team.

1) Yes, code is hacked and it is out there, not hard to find it if you are really interested. I don't mind if you are using it or not, It's up to you to decide what to do.

2) That's basically how DT works.

3) Correct, we are doing it for free in our free time. We could ask and receive donations ( we never did that though) but we can't sell the patches under the current contract between DT and 1C.

I understand the good sides of open source projects but there are some downsides too. We are not pretending that mods don't exist and we are open to cooperation but that cooperation rarely works.
-It is hard to find people who are willing to work under strict technical specifications.
-When many people work without supervision you lose focus and direction in development
-Lot of work is duplicated or collide with each other

And than ,we in DT have to spent lot of time organizing things instead of having fun with the code and let's be honest, if I'm not payed I expect that I'll at least have some fun with what I do. In the end instead of working faster you become slower.

Sometimes things work and you find excellent guy/girl who become great contributor.

Disclaimer:
All of the above is personal opinion not an official position of DT.

bitterman
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh, i thought il-2 is totally under DT control. Now the things are clear. Thanks.

Is it hard for someone to become a contributor? I have found no official site/page of DT. [This list only (http://wiki.sukhoi.ru/index.php?title=Daidalos_Team)].

FC99
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh, i thought il-2 is totally under DT control. Now the things are clear. Thanks.

Is it hard for someone to become a contributor? I have found no official site/page of DT. [This list only (http://wiki.sukhoi.ru/index.php?title=Daidalos_Team)].
We have contract which allows us further game development but everything we do is subject to 1C approval, it's not that they interfere with the development but they are in position to veto any game feature or whole patch if they want.

How hard it is to get your work into the game? Hard to answer this one. Depends mostly on what are your interests. 3D modelling and map making was done by 3rd party throughout the history of the game and that's where it is easiest to contribute.

Coding is another story, I explained that to you in previous posts. But if you come with the interesting code and it is in line with DT development plans I'll not ask you where you get it.

SAS~Anto
12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Bitterman, what FC99 is saying is correct. In 2008, a few community members did hack the core of the game and found a way to run 3rd party mods. Today there is still a thriving modding community and in fact, a few members of DT initially started at modders. Most of the mod packs run off an Il-2 1946 install patched to 4.101m.

In respect to the forum rules here, I will not post any links, but there is a discussion section about Il-2 mods here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=201

Hope that helps :)

bitterman
12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks, men. next time i'll search mods-related threads

honestly, it would be great to provide some dedicated server's API to make it more comfortable and faster for server-commander's developers to get information from server. Reading events from log and getting info from console seems to be a very bad thing.

p.s. thread becomes non-sources related, so it can be closed