PDA

View Full Version : Is this a realistic game or arcade?

DarkVador809
03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Is it like TOW or it is more like C&c ?

DMS|Instinct
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, it isn't like one of both games...
You have no base building like in CnC but you also don't have a focus on realism only.

Men of War has a stronger focus on squads and you have a lot of opportunities fighting with them, i.e. all soldiers carry their own inventory and you can collect the weapons of your enemies. You also can direct control every single unit and vehicle you have, featuring a very realistic armor penetration system, which forces you to fight your opponent in a smart way rather than in rushing.

About the realism overall, I gave a statement about that in the interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, you can find the link here in the forums.

DarkVador809
03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, it isn't like one of both games...
You have no base building like in CnC but you also don't have a focus on realism only.

Men of War has a stronger focus on squads and you have a lot of opportunities fighting with them, i.e. all soldiers carry their own inventory and you can collect the weapons of your enemies. You also can direct control every single unit and vehicle you have, featuring a very realistic armor penetration system, which forces you to fight your opponent in a smart way rather than in rushing.

About the realism overall, I gave a statement about that in the interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, you can find the link here in the forums.

So it's a tactical game for sure if there is no base building of any kind. A RTT.

You say there is a very realistic armor penetration system, so there is no health bar over the tank? Nor for the soldier or squad?

What is the 25% over the AT gun on that ss?
http://pix.nofrag.com/c/1/d/bd2e5de9be33f25a948635d51e8f9tt.jpg (http://pix.nofrag.com/c/1/d/bd2e5de9be33f25a948635d51e8f9.html)
health or ammo or something else?

DMS|Instinct
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Yep a RTT game.

Tanks do not have healthbars, all their armor plates have historical values + the calculation of the angle of impact of the projectile. You also can shoot down the tracks of a tank or hit the engine, disable the turret and so on, ofcourse tanks with flat angle armor have an advantage not only in mostly thicker armor but also on causing recochets.

Soldiers do have healthbares so you know how they are feeling :)
Since the game has impressive physics a piece of a housewall falling down on a soldier will kill him instantly. Mostly those houswalls fall down while a tank tries driving through it :)
Sometimes a soldier gets killed when a recochets flies in the wrong direction and hits him by coincidence..., every projectile is simulated correctly and a soldier does not "play" being hit like in some other games, if he's hit he is really hit like in a FPS.

The 25% belong to the flag in the middle, the gamemode played on the screenshots is a faster one. There is one flag in the middle of the map, the team with more soldiers in its zone is raising the flag slowly, the one who brings it up to 100% wins, if the time doesn't end earlier.

DarkVador809
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Interesting game, looking forward for it. Thanks for the info.

airguitarist
03-15-2008, 10:27 PM
This looks right up my street. I'll be watching and waiting for this to be released. Curious about the 16 player option, might even sign up for the beta.

Diaz
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Very beautiful war game,
it's easy for me to reduce the differents shorten Theatre of war and Face of War; with cuts to video support " i see only this " in a Mod and large maps. You can have a big different game style " hope not for lag " and take a more customers.

Will there a map editor?

Sorry for bad English. " perfida Albione "

Thanks,
Diaz

PS: how many old maps have you recycled from Soldiers and FOW? it's so
difficult for 1c edit many maps.

DMS|Instinct
05-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Official map and mission editor will be on the game disc.

There are only multiplayer maps "recycled" from previous games, like the most played ones.

Monterey
06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Is this gonna be like "World in Conflict" style of gameplay?

DMS|Instinct
06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Not in that huge size.
However in multiplayer you will also buy units instead of producing them. But Men of War takes more attention to micromanagment of units and direct control.

xka
01-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Not in that huge size.
However in multiplayer you will also buy units instead of producing them. But Men of War takes more attention to micromanagment of units and direct control.

Thats great!, i hate games with hundred of "ants" moving over the map, i prefer micromangment, tactical game.:-)

thegrindre
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Thats great!, i hate games with hundred of "ants" moving over the map, i prefer micromangment, tactical game.:-)
That is exactly what this game is, all tactics and strategy. You will control a few men. You will have to arm them and load their weapons. You will need to make sure they have sufficient ammo and you will be able to scavenge it from other dead soldiers or just laying on the ground. You will be able to aim and shoot exactly where you want to under direct control.

This is not an arcade game, this is a direct control game where you are in control of your few men, or should be. LOL

The strategy and tactics involved in this game could take you days to complete a mission. There is basically no time limits involved. You can fight at your own pace.

Everything is destructible in the game. Buildings will blow up and fall down into various degrees of rubble. Walls and fences will fall.
You could be killed by falling debris. You could be killed by someone throwing a knife in your back. You could be killed by a ricochet bullet.
And, in turn, you could blow up a wall to have it fall on the enemy or you could throw a knife into the enemy's back to kill him.

If you find a enemy tank that has been damaged, you can repair it, load it, and use it against the enemy. If it's out of fuel, you'll have to find a gas can and refuel it.
Yes, there is a degree of micro management involved that makes this game so wonderful.

To answer DarkVador809's first post, YES!!! It is very realistic.

It's the greatest war game on the planet, IMO.