PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled!?

lewuz
12-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Ghost of Moscow: Death to Spies is gone from 1C website (http://www.1cpublishing.eu/)! I'm afraid of the worst - it might be cancelled. Anyone has some extra info?

If it is cancelled, I'm very sad. It's been one of my most anticipated games over a year now and screenshots/videos looked promising.

Divebomb
12-09-2011, 03:27 AM
just noticed it is not on the site anymore also. somewhat worrying. I'm positive if they hadn't bothered with the xbox version, that this game would be out already. and incredible.

maybe they'll do the right thing and change the title back to death to spies 3 or just go with death to spies 2, like the russian version. this constant name changing thing between releases is somewhat nonsense.

Divebomb
12-09-2011, 03:30 AM
it's still listed on the russian 1c site btw. http://games.1c.ru/?type=inwork or http://games.1c.ru/smersh2/

Liz Shaw
12-09-2011, 06:05 AM
it's still listed on the russian 1c site btw. http://games.1c.ru/?type=inwork or http://games.1c.ru/smersh2/

I notified forlik about these rumors. He says there's been nothing new at his end. It's weird, unlike MoT, there's no official trailer, and it seems they are leaving us in the dark with them releasing very little information in the last year. Also, no official box cover art has been shown yet.

OSS
12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes. Rumors are right. 1C has selling problems & canceled project on its side :((. Haggard Games are seeking now for a new publisher, but its hard to say anything right now. Without financing/publisher it will be hard to finish and release the game by themselfs.. Game is now return his name 'Death to Spies 3'. I think we must wait for more news to come on there site - http://www.haggardgames.com

Liz Shaw
12-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Despite everything, there's still some very interesting material on the HG website. There's concept art of the main characters, and there's a portfolio showing images of some character models. The scientist's model has been redesigned, and the presence of US Captain and Flight Deck Crew images suggest an airfield mission.

forlik
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes. Rumors are right. 1C has selling problems & canceled project on its side :((. Haggard Games are seeking now for a new publisher, but its hard to say anything right now. Without financing/publisher it will be hard to finish and release the game by themselfs...
Terrible news :cry:
It seems 1C have real reasons to close project on the current stage, can't understand anyway.
Have you already thought about publishing of PC-version via Steam?

Divebomb
12-11-2011, 10:45 PM
wow, ok.

I'm not that surprised, since 1c doesn't seem very interested in any "internally" developed games anymore. seems so. it's only katauri and the men of war studios left now of the announced stuff, or at least after long delayed titles like captain blood and star wolves 3 are out.

it's truly heartbreaking how many of the studios 1c published many games for have gone out of business after 1c broke the business relationship off. hopefully haggard will be ok.

it's a bit insane to me because it's easier than ever to actually make ok money on games through steam and other download sites. but I guess 1c just makes so much more money publishing international games in russia over actually releasing russian games to the world or to russia. so while russia gets all this international TRASH released and localized really well through 1c, the gaming world as a whole is losing russian games. the amazing distinct russian games industry identity is dying. I'll just blame it on steam (it's an easy catch-all), steam coming to russia has killed the russian games industry. really makes me sad.

maybe I should write CIS instead of russia and russian. since there are so many ukrainian developers, or was. :(

Divebomb
12-11-2011, 10:57 PM
It seems 1C have real reasons to close project on the current stage, can't understand anyway.

they don't even have to self-publish though. there are a lot of european publishers who SHOULD be interested in titles like death to spies. like good old games (cdprojekt), paradox interactive, focus home interactive, kalypso media, city interactive, nobilis, deep silver / koch media, dtp entertainment, headup games, bitcomposer.

I think actually good old games would be perfect for this game, at least for the release. but I have no idea if cdprojekt are willing to finance actual development or are simply interested in releasing finished games when they start releasing 'good new games' next year.

paradox interactive is another really good fit for death to spies, I think.

Liz Shaw
12-11-2011, 11:51 PM
they don't even have to self-publish though. there are a lot of european publishers who SHOULD be interested in titles like death to spies. like good old games (cdprojekt), paradox interactive, focus home interactive, kalypso media, city interactive, nobilis, deep silver / koch media, dtp entertainment, headup games, bitcomposer.

Nobilis is out of the question! They published localized versions of the original Death to Spies, with the censored Nazi textures. You forgot to mention Aspyr, they published localized versions of Moment of Truth.

Divebomb
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Nobilis is out of the question! They published localized versions of the original Death to Spies, with the censored Nazi textures. You forgot to mention Aspyr, they published localized versions of Moment of Truth.

oh haha. I'd actually completely forgotten nobilis already published the first death to spies game. it was just a list off the top of my head of who would be interested or compatible with the game. aspyr only publish in north america I think, so I have no interest in them. hehe.

if paradox interactive can "save" haggard like they saved ino-co after 1c dumped them I think that would be the optimal scenario. although of course I don't know the deals ino-co have with paradox, so they might still be screwed once paradox have no more use for them. but right now they are still getting work done and games released.

this is a separate rant, and unrelated to 1c/haggard, but paradox seem a bit too focused (or unfocused as the case is hehe) on following the latest popular garbage these days but without really the conviction to stick to something and actually see it through or let it turn into something. like their CONNECT community system/initiative seem pretty much abandoned already (connect.paradoxplaza.com). way too hung up in the american pr tech bubble idiocy. they're not actually interested in building a community on there, it's just the next wave of pr buzzwords they have to adhere to. but regardless of their twitter/facebook shenanigans they're still releasing a lot of great games, and seem interested in releasing great PC focused games.

OSS
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Well, it's harder and harder to sell anything that not AAA budget, without AAA marketing..

It's also a pity to see that publisher strategy changed and focused just on selling others products, without internal development.. i dont now what will happen when retail completly dies and only digitial distribution will left and studios will deliver products directly to customer without any need of distribution services..

Yes, but we dont have funds to complete the game by our selfs.. The only solution we see is spliting the game into two episodes, and deliver the second one on funds that came from selling the first..

OSS
12-13-2011, 09:14 AM

a bit from paradox/cdproject, the other publishers want completed games and dont want to invest there money to developing games..

forlik
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, but we dont have funds to complete the game by our selfs.. The only solution we see is spliting the game into two episodes, and deliver the second one on funds that came from selling the first..

Interesting idea. Perhaps it will be good to publish a demo-version at first to attract attention. But another side of Steam publish - it will be PC only release. Anyway, you will need another publisher for xbox release... :confused:

OSS
12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, demo of cause - maybe. And yes, PC only release.. without publisher we can't release it on xbox.

Liz Shaw
12-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Well, demo of cause - maybe. And yes, PC only release.. without publisher we can't release it on xbox.

Just as well, PC's better than Xbox because forlik and I can modify it...:grin:

Also, I think it would be a good idea to release it in two different parts rather than the game ending up like Duke Nukem Forever and Splinter Cell Conviction.

forlik
12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Just as well, PC's better than Xbox because forlik and I can modify it...:grin:
I hope DtS2 will be more friendly for modders. And not only you and me will work on it ;)

like Duke Nukem Forever
Oh, no :mad:

Jason
01-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Sad news to hear about DtS3 being dropped by 1C, sad to see 1C turn into what they have recently. They were my new favourite publisher/game producer.

I'd definitely buy any form of another Death to Spies game :grin: and I'd scream from the roof tops for other people to buy it as well ;)

Go indie and release through Steam, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming etc., seemed to have worked for Flying Wild Hog and their game Hard Reset. You have to be really on top of communicating with the community though, do it well and your game will do well.

without publisher we can't release it on xbox.
Can't you release it on Xbox Live Arcade? Hydrophobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrophobia_%28video_game%29) did that, released it first on Xbox Live Arcade then on Steam. It sold a lot I think.

OSS
01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Can't you release it on Xbox Live Arcade? Hydrophobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrophobia_%28video_game%29) did that, released it first on Xbox Live Arcade then on Steam. It sold a lot I think.

Well, i don't think that it is the option for us for now.. the problem that it will require to rewrite game for the XNA and it will take too much time..

AHO
02-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I hope DtS2 will be more friendly for modders. And not only you and me will work on it

:shock:

Jason
03-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, i don't think that it is the option for us for now.. the problem that it will require to rewrite game for the XNA and it will take too much time..
Does the recent Wasteland 2 Kickerstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2) give you guys hope? crowd source the cash to finish the game?

Boyarpunk
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Does the recent Wasteland 2 Kickerstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2) give you guys hope? crowd source the cash to finish the game?

Hell yes. Sign me up. I would donate if it meant being finally able to play DtS3!

Funktion
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I was unaware of these recent developments. I was searching for some recent news about Ghost of Moscow, and I am quite sad to see the problems that exist regarding the new game.

Firstly, because I really enjoyed the previous two games, but also because all that was shown of the new game looked rather awesome. It's hard to understand what lead to 1c dropping the game, especially since the first two games seemed to have sold decently for them, but then again we are on the outside, so we don't know the full story.

Anyway, OSS, I hope the game comes out in any way. Be it by splitting the game and selling it in two halves, through a pre-order campaign (similar to Kickstarter, or directly through you), or any other method, I hope you find something that works out for you. Since it's now easier than ever to release something digitally, maybe you should consider that option (leaving a publisher only for a later boxed release).

Whatever your choice, you have my money. I was (and still am) really looking forward to play the game, so I hope you pull through.

Keep us updated, and good luck. :)

Boyarpunk
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I was unaware of these recent developments. I was searching for some recent news about Ghost of Moscow, and I am quite sad to see the problems that exist regarding the new game.

Firstly, because I really enjoyed the previous two games, but also because all that was shown of the new game looked rather awesome. It's hard to understand what lead to 1c dropping the game, especially since the first two games seemed to have sold decently for them, but then again we are on the outside, so we don't know the full story.

Anyway, OSS, I hope the game comes out in any way. Be it by splitting the game and selling it in two halves, through a pre-order campaign (similar to Kickstarter, or directly through you), or any other method, I hope you find something that works out for you. Since it's now easier than ever to release something digitally, maybe you should consider that option (leaving a publisher only for a later boxed release).

Whatever your choice, you have my money. I was (and still am) really looking forward to play the game, so I hope you pull through.

Keep us updated, and good luck. :)

Well said. And (for what it's worth), Haggard has my money, too. :)

Jason
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Haggard has my money, too. :)
They would definitely have my money and loud mouth to spread the word! :grin:

OSS
05-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Well, it can be a choice for us, but kickstarter only accepts starting projects from US residents (US address, US banks, etc..)

ChunkyBitz
07-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Well, it can be a choice for us, but kickstarter only accepts starting projects from US residents (US address, US banks, etc..)

I don't think that's true, as there was recently a Kickstarter for Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Right on the Kickstarter page it says Stainless Games is located in Isle Of Wight, United Kingdom.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation

Of course, I suppose it's possible that they had someone in the US act as their representative for the Kickstarter project.

Funktion
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't think that's true, as there was recently a Kickstarter for Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Right on the Kickstarter page it says Stainless Games is located in Isle Of Wight, United Kingdom.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation

Of course, I suppose it's possible that they had someone in the US act as their representative for the Kickstarter project.
From what I understand, for one to start a campaign they have to have a representative in the US, or create a new company in the US (basically just to receive the funds and send them back to the country of origin).
Kickstarter announced they will soon allow campaigns from the UK, but so far it's US only.

But it should be doable. A better example, in this case, would be the new campaign from Ice-Pick Lodge (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock), since they are from Russia.

I wish there was a way, Kickstarter or not, to help the game come to life. It showed a lot of promise in the videos that were released, and it's a shame if it never gets out.

Funktion
12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have any news regarding the game?

It's a bit sad to see such promising game (and series) vanish like this. :(

OSS
05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Does anyone have any news regarding the game?
It's a bit sad to see such promising game (and series) vanish like this. :(

The news is that DtS3 goes to IndieGoGo crowdfunding platform. Check http://igg.me/at/deathtospies3

Jason
05-07-2013, 07:49 AM
The news is that DtS3 goes to IndieGoGo crowdfunding platform. Check http://igg.me/at/deathtospies3
OMG! YES YES YES! :grin:

Time to tell EVERYONE guys!