PDA

View Full Version : Features To Make Maps Alive

BPickles
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Does anyone have any templates to thing to make the map feel a little more alive like maybe a land battle of sometime like that?

Also how exactly do i add trains onto my mission?

KDN
11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Trains are places the same way any other mobile object with one small difference. You need to click on a railroad track and of course you need at least two wayponts.

Also you can make your own train by selecting different engines and wagons and then saving it a custom one.

BPickles
11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Sadly ive made AA emplacements too, but the game just feels so empty :(

KDN
11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
BPickles
I think, at this point of CPU/GPU power level, it would be unrealistic to expect to fill many airfields and towns with objects unless it is just to take screenshots for mission briefings.

However and I am sure you have figure out that the CoD setup is not like IL2.
You can start a standard fairly empty map setup and while it is running you can load submissions to fill areas of consern as needed. In addition you can make small templates, like AAA and airfield generic setups, as cheeshawk is mentioning and save them to a folder. Then paste them wherever you need and as many time as you need.

FG28_Kodiak
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
You can use a script.
In CloDo it's possible to load missions in the main-mission.

I've uploaded a little example mission as an Attachment.
The script loads every 30-60sec a little mis-file randomly, these contains always the same Waypoints but different columns. At the last Waypoint i remove the Actors to avoid traffic jam. For this i use a TPassThrough trigger which is activated if a column reach the endpoint.

Put the Tests-Directory in missions\single
or change the path
string SubMissionsPath = @"missions\Single\Tests\Bf110Sub\";
in the cs-file.

You can also use a trigger to load a submission, so if a player enters a area you can load a submission to populate this area. But for this i will make an other example.

hc_wolf
12-02-2011, 06:12 PM
CheeseHawk & FG28_Kodiak have the right idea with small areas to start and the proximity trigger.

Example, I host games off my PC online with friends all pre loaded (up to 10 humans, 30-50 ai planes, 4350 static objects and about 60-90 moving objects (non planes).
And all dynamic waypoints etc.

That is about the limit before i start getting stutters. So you can fly over a very large area of France or england and there is a train or two on every line etc. all at once and yes the map feels more alive.

Until the new graphics comeout in a week or so the Proximity works but you could get stutters as each mission loads. I will test this. I usually have everything pre-loaded.

just my two cents. ;)