PDA

View Full Version : Mini-mod brainstorming!

Piemaster
11-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Since this game is fully moddable, it's high time we start thinking about things we would like to change; such as:

More than 20 units on the battlefield!

Arrow damage!

Longer battles (maybe by increasing all the units defense values?)

More units!

Adding multiplayer factions to the campaign/ play as any faction!

Textures, textures, textures!

Number of men in each unit (smaller units for slower computers?)

I'm super excited, I have done some limited modding for Medieval 2: Total War, such as texture editing and unit stats. Anyone else have some ideas?

mitra
11-27-2011, 07:56 AM
This is the documentation of flow and battles script variables in XIII Century that I received some time ago by Unicorn; the descriptions are in russian but with a translator can be understood sufficiently. (insert support to cirillic in your windows). Can be very useful to understand how modify the scripts

https://rapidshare.com/files/97361062/docuXIII.rar

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Yesss! This is kind of stuff I was waiting for. Thanks a lot! Do you have any other goodies like this?

mitra
11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
all I have is posted here http://www.strategygamesitalia.eu/real-warfare-guide-modding-tools-t1791.html

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I've figured out how to add a new unit to tech tree. I can hire it and the unit appears in battle. The problem is that the unit doesn't act as it should and info table in battle shows wrong values too (I've made a copy of teutonic militia crossbowman and I want make it a sergeant/armor(2) level). mitra could you ask devs which files I have to modify to make it works properly? I don't need full guide, just file names. I think I'll know what to change.

mitra
11-27-2011, 01:24 PM
>unit doesn't act

I'm not use to understand, what you mean with act? what should do?

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 01:55 PM
For example button "stop fire"/"fire at will" doesn't work. When you hover mouse pointer over enemy unit it changes into sword not bow and arrow, Statistics show Elite unit armed with Pike(3) and armor Heavy(3), etc. Just a lot of small things are not right.

mitra
11-27-2011, 02:00 PM
I think you must work on the files .properties of race directories in the object directory. If I remember well in 1242 were the starting files which connect all the info between objects and scripts.

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I think you must work on the files .properties of race directories in the object directory. If I remember well in 1242 were the starting files which connect all the info between objects and scripts.

hmm.. not good. Now it's even worse. They stopped shooting at all and they fight only where running through enemy unit. But they can gallop :lol: and never get tired.

Do you know any mod for RA 1242 that adds units? I need an example. I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.

mitra
11-27-2011, 03:11 PM
No I don't know any mod for 1242; but look like linked the wrong aix file to object; the parameter StateMachine.LoadFromFile in the properties file what reports?

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I've created additional "teutonic.serjant.infantry.crossbowman.properties" (exact copy of "teutonic.militia.infantry.crossbowman.properties") and StateMachine.LoadFromFile = .\data\aix\units\west.europe\infantry\west.europe. infantry.crossbowman.aix

mitra
11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
and how you add it to tech tree?

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
..\data\maps\global\teutonic.order\map.grade.tree

: struct.begin
template=crossbowman_inf
x = 0
y = 2
links : struct.begin
link=serjant_crossbowman_inf
armyexp=666
gold=666
struct.end
struct.end

: struct.begin
template=serjant_crossbowman_inf
x = 0
y = 1
links : struct.begin
struct.end
struct.end

But campaign is not a problem. I test this unit in custom battles. If I make it works in custom it will probably work in campaign too.

mitra
11-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Your must add it also to west.europe.race.objectcollection file. but for the values you must verify also the init state of aix related to type of unit. My suggestion is to use the debug much for verify the things and if pass by some routines.

Goblin Wizard
11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Your must add it also to west.europe.race.objectcollection file. but for the values you must verify also the init state of aix related to type of unit. My suggestion is to use the debug much for verify the things and if pass by some routines.
Hmm.. I don't know how much they pay you but you surely deserve more. Your help is really great. Thanks again. I'm not used to have such a tool like dev's editor and totally forgot about it. Debugger showed me the error immediately. It was about "west.europe.groups.aix". I set my unit as var infSerjantCrossbowmanIndex : Integer = 54; while the array range was [0..53]. It fucked up all calculations. Such a small shit... Now everything works nice and smooth:cool: so I can at last move on to the next step.

mitra
11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Hmm.. I don't know how much they pay you but you surely deserve more. Your help is really great. Thanks again. I'm not used to have such a tool like dev's editor and totally forgot about it. Debugger showed me the error immediately. It was about "west.europe.groups.aix". I set my unit as var infSerjantCrossbowmanIndex : Integer = 54; while the array range was [0..53]. It fucked up all calculations. Such a small shit... Now everything works nice and smooth:cool: so I can at last move on to the next step.

Goblin I'm a normal user like you :) (if people who play videogames during the weekends at place of run back to girls can be considered normal). I'm happy you enjoying the modding potential of the game, like me when I discovered it. The developers aptitude for the modders and the respect for the users is one of main reason (a part the fact I like the game) for I support so strongly this game with other users in other forum.

ThisIsRealWarfare
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Goblin I'm a normal user like you :) (if people who play videogames during the weekends at place of run back to girls can be considered normal). I'm happy you enjoying the modding potential of the game, like me when I discovered it. The developers aptitude for the modders and the respect for the users is one of main reason (a part the fact I like the game) for I support so strongly this game with other users in other forum.

A normal user? ;)
I'd say so much more. Also wanna give you my thanks for helping alot, and your help is very appreciated

ThisIsRealWarfare
11-28-2011, 12:17 PM
So, Goblin Wizard, did it work :O?
Havent taken much notice but, I just realised you made an additional unit.. xD. That is very nice.

I Really think there should be better Crossbowmen, aswell as better archers.

Goblin Wizard
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
So, Goblin Wizard, did it work :O?
Havent taken much notice but, I just realised you made an additional unit.. xD. That is very nice.

I Really think there should be better Crossbowmen, aswell as better archers.
Yes, it works but you need to start new campaign. Now, I'm working on making other nations playable but it's not so easy. I need to learn a lot about the game and engine but I think it's doable. Funny thing is that I have very little time to play. Modding takes a lot of time and it's simply more enjoyable.

NalgaSucia
12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Yea two little things

A) Just noticed the militias robbers (their troops) use the same banners as your own troops, should it be different? (saw it on a unit of crossbowmen)

B) Pikemen cant use loose formation, so why put the option for it?

NalgaSucia
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
also, you should be able to see the units "future position even thou your cliking another unit.

I should see all my units future position when i press space bar

He111
12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Agree.

Plus I want 30 units, i'll need that for a Roman legion! :grin:

Desaix
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Agree.

Plus I want 30 units, i'll need that for a Roman legion! :grin:

I want 120 units, I wnat those for Waterloo ;)

ThisIsRealWarfare
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I want 120 units, I wnat those for Waterloo ;)

Aerhhghhhh ;D You mean like a 13th century waterloo? Trebutchets and mangonels instead of cannons? Knights replacing Cuirassiers.. :-P
Hmmmmm... We need a mod I believe!
I can absolutely agree that 30 units would be very interesting, aswell as some good features that you've mentioned (being able to see where a unit walks) (Like the TW games?).

NalgaSucia
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Space Bar looking, like in the TW games should be implemented into the game in the next patch.