PDA

View Full Version : m24 Chaffee wasnt used by the US in vietnam...

ArtilleryWhore
11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
yeah so.. the M24 chaffee wasnt used in Vietnam by the US.. only the french and the south Vietnamese early in the war.

the m24 chaffee was replaced by the m41 walker bulldog light tank in 1953. after being proven combat ineffective against soviet t34/85s in the korean war.

the m41 walker bulldog looks similar to the chaffee how ever it is about 15-20% larger then the chaffee, much faster, and uses a 76mm anti tank gun.

but by the time Vietnam came around even the m41 was being phased out by the xm551 Sheridan. as it slowly and lopsidedly passed combat trails.

so basically im begging 1C to substitute the m24 chaffee for the m41 walker bulldog in the next patch. this would make it more historically accurate.

any one else notice this, or with me on this?

[we also desperately need more units. some artillery, choppers, boats, anti air and AT guns. as well as more diverse single player/skirmish missions.. particularly semi or heavily vehicle biased.

idk about you guys but i liked being able to call in units and armor during missions.

but this is another topic.]

FM_Thomas7
11-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Enter me stage left, I agree completely with your statement the Chaffee wasn't used during the period of US involvment in the war, it was the bulldog but I am right now working on a mod to add more units, it's a difficult process due to me being new to modding this series of games but I have made some progress as I can now use the Phantom (will be difficult to use), those forests are dense, the UH-1 and Uh-1b (Transport version) and the Dodge M37 truck, here's a picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41710651/My%20success.jpg

As you can see there is alot to do like putting them in the sections where they belong but that can be done as I have been able to add those units in, I also hope that maybe in the future if people are willing, the community can add more units like the M113 ACAV and other awesome units of the war but for now I'm only doing what's already available for me.

I'm also working on adding units for the NVA as well and in the future may make The ARVN and Vietcong seperate teams but that's another story.

ArtilleryWhore
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
very nice. i wish you luck with the mod.
ied play it =)
maybe add some pack howitzers and some 105mm arty.

i really hope that 1c swaps the chaffee for the m41 though, hopefully in the next patch. i decided to skip buying this game on steams 50% off sale. because of this and many other issues with the game. i certainly am not going to buy it at full price.

HOWEVER should they add the m41 WBD. i will buy this game during the Christmas sale.
that 1 unit. bugs me so much.

FM_Thomas7
11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the good luck, I've got a version almost ready for release, and i'll have the howitzer M114 there and Katyusha and any other ideas that people have.

FM_Thomas7
11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
I've got Version one of the Extra units mod here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2E956H8R

ArtilleryWhore
11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
just out of curiosity.. do the developers even read the forums?

FM_Thomas7
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Not a clue ArtilleryWhore I have doubts due to there being quite a few bad reviews about this game and complaints on variety etc (I've written one) and have not had any developments, so it might be that this is just for discussion and not for market research.

E'dollo
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
I've always wanted to see 1C add some heavy artillery on the factions side that you are playing.