PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Variety

FM_Thomas7
11-17-2011, 09:19 PM
I've played the game and the game play isn't that bad, the problem I have with it is that it lacks variety after a while you get bored looking at the same vehicles etc for long periods of time, why isn't there any of the other vehicles like the M3a1 (That's right they had that in 'Nam) and the Greyhound (sounds coincidental but it's true) and the famous A1 Skyraider (AKA The Spad), they didn't just have the Phantom and plus there so much customization which can be done with the vehicles.

For example, the M113 APC was used to not so little success but the ARVN customized it with a really nice machine gun with armour plates, (this can most likely be done by simply changing the top and changing ammo to Zenite or keeping as "Big" MG belts, Image: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/inf/M113/M113_vietnam2.jpg), Another point is the artillery, The NVA were able to use alot of Recoilless rifles and even got Katyusha (That's right that great big rocket launcher truck from Men Of War) and the majority of the units which were used in Men Of War could be used to great effect in MOW: Vietnam, all that had to be done was port them from MOW to MOW: Vietnam and that's it.

I'm also concerned by the lack of Artillery that the US have the majority of their strategy was to use superior firepower and this can be done with a lot of artillery pieces M109/M110 self propelled Howitzers (Think like the Priest) and the more compact L5 Pack Howitzers, I am aware that MOW: Vietnam was originally just a Singleplayer game but you have a gold mine at your feet 1C Company, a section of history that not many strategy games have touched and you can make this an epic game if a little more was done to spruce it up, more on the multiplayer front is pretty much the place to focus on and you'll have I'm sure a game everyone would want as it.

And lastly I was hoping that the use of aircraft would be much more integral to gameplay than usual but it hasn't changed that much, you can only call aircraft in as air support and you can't use them for multiplayer, adding helicopters to gameplay pretty much revolutionizes the whole concept of the game to something fresh and new and that would be another factor that people would want to play this game.

If anybody has any ideas for any other units which could be added go ahead and provide a good argument (Pictures too if you have the time).

BUZARD
11-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I should suspect the best you'll get on here is a "if you dont like it, get the editor and change the game yourself" that's pretty much what i got told here for complaining about lack of gameplay options,, thus i have long since left this game for dead and moved on.

Fred DM
11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
the problem is that Vietnam seems to have been developed more as a stand-alone expansion for the original MoW, similar to Red Tide, not as a sequel.

another problem is that the game is sold at full price or almost full price in some regions. thus people expect a sequel, not an add-on, which is probably where a lot of the disappointment stems from.

for an expansion, Vietnam offers decent content. how often do you see an entirely different era in an RTS expansion, including new environments, units, weapons, missions?

MACV HQ
11-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Anyone know if someone is creating the othere types of vehicles such as M35A2, armerd cav m113 track, or even a chinook, Iv seen on youtube and noticed people are creating modren aircraft and tracked vehicles that are used today in there MOW modes, and I have been trying to get with some of those people to have them create some of the vehicles and aircraft of the vietnam war. I do love playing this game, and some who are also moden day vets and guy in our group who served in vietnam loved to play it too, with the editor we are recreating small battles to major operation with our modes, such as operation masher/white wing and have been sucsessful with all the test to start the maps as they during the vietnam war. The game is greate I just dont know why the nva forces have a heavy utility truck and the us dont, maybe the developers will bring new vehicles and aircraft at a later date.

my spelling may be offline a little didnt have time to check

scott

KnightFandragon
11-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Aircraft in MoW seemed to be more of a last minute addition and no real time went into them. The reason aircraft are just call ins in this game is becuase thats the best way to use them and really id imagine thats how they were in RL, you call in the strike they run it and fly off, its not like they linger 50ft above the fight waiting for new orders like ground forces. It would be nice to see some more done with aircraft but I dont see it happening anytime soon.]

Also, the lack of variety is why I tend to not like modern day-ish based games like Vietnam and stuff. Past WWII its just M60 Vs T54, Abrams vs T72, Bradley and BMP, MiG vs F15, AK47 vs M16, SVD vs M24...yeah it gets boring and WWII had more stuff and games tend to add more of the variety in WWII games...

FM_Thomas7
11-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I just think that if they were to make a Vietnam game they should make it a good attempt to make it have variety, I have thought that if it is likely that they won't add more then maybe someone else should, I have experience in modding for Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour but this game has a different structure all together if there's anyone who can give me some pointers on how to add new units and sides to Men Of War, I'll be grateful.

FM_Thomas7
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I've decided to make a mod to add more units to the game here's a picture proving that I've made progress:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41710651/My%20success.jpg