PDA

View Full Version : Asadexes... idea for a mod

Maluzu
02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Perhaps I am offbase on this one.. I am new to FW..

Would it be possible to edit the multiplayer missons to allow folks to build their own forces rather than be stuck with preselected troops? Similar to how "The Gambit" works, you get a stack of gold and you design your forces.

It would make a huge difference in getting some friends of mine interested.

Thoughts?

asadexes
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Sure you can!

You can do it in Multiplayer missions as in Single Missions.
I think, but i'm not so sure, it's a trigger at the start of the mission.
It allows you to buy units before the mission start or also during the mission as in the single player game.
Now i'm making a big RPG map with many quests and subquest, but when i'll have a bit of time and when a real multiplayer lobby will be online i'll make a multi map with custom armies.

Maluzu
02-12-2008, 03:37 AM
"but when i'll have a bit of time and when a real multiplayer lobby will be online i'll make a multi map with custom armies."

Magog
02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
You can fix this yourself I think, if you have the editor and a few minutes to spare. :)

First you need a trigger. Go to the "Module" menu and select "Trigger editor". If you want to deploy on the first turn, you make a task with the condition "Game - Mission started" and the action "Game - Start deploy round at next turn". Very simple. :)

You also have to make sure there are deploy zones available (in the objects palette in the editor there's an icon with a green arrow and a yellow square.)

If you are editing one of the multiplayer maps that came with the game, you might want to remove all units already placed on the map. Go to the "Map" menu, select "units" and click "Delete all".

asadexes
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, i'll do immediatly for my new map

Maluzu
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
VERY COOL... I will be spending time on making multiplayer maps worth playing.

I am super excited... I hope I can figure it out.

If Fantasy Wars has custom forces and pit multiple players against each other in online battles it will gain a huge following. Lobby or not, this is going to be a huge factor in gaining popularity.

I know that once I can be proud of the multiplayer options I will be pushing this game to everyone I know, (several hundred employees at work for starters... heh)

Basically, create an unofficial multiplayer map pack with allot of variety.

Another question, can you allow it so players can select which type of army they want to use. For example, the result could be ork vs ork vs ork.

Maluzu
02-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I got it to the point of... no preselected and deployed units, however I have no cash for force selection. Two deploy zones per side.
I will poke around a bit more, I am editing MP3 (saving as MP3-TEST).

EDIT: I added an event to give active player 1964 gold, but I still cant seem to deploy anything. Missing something... hmm

asadexes
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
post here your files if you want

Magog
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Go to the "Map" menu and click "Fractions". Here you can set the initial amount of gold for each player, and this is also where you change races if you want to battle orc vs orc for example. If you choose to edit a fraction you can change starting units in the reserve list, what units are available for purchase and so on. Very easy once you get the hang of it. :)

And to be able to deploy you must have units in the reserves list, which you don't have by default in MPM3, so you must buy some first in this case.

asadexes
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
you must also to set the units avaible to buy,
this also you can do in the fractions-edit menu

Maluzu
02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I decided to edit "The Gambit" and it was easy as pie... made it orks vs elves, increased the gold for unit purchase, changed the deploy hexes and it worked fine.

I wonder what I am missing in the other one... perhaps "Test Deploy" needed to be used in some way?

Ahhh... off to work.. :(

asadexes
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I think we've the same GM 'cause i'm off work too ;)

Magog
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Units selected in Test deploy are available in the reserves list when you start a map from the editor, but not when you open a map from within the game. So it doesn't really matter if you have units there or not.

Just check the trigger again, you probably made some simple mistake (took me some time to get it working the first time too.) Or maybe one of the unreadable russian triggers interfere with yours? :confused:

About MP. Do both players need the map on their computer when starting a game on a custom map, or do one computer act as host and transfer the map to the others?

Maluzu
02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Each person needs to have the custom MP map in their C:\Program Files\Nobilis\Fantasy Wars\Data\Levels\Multiplayer directory. Which is easy enough to do.

It is really easy to connect and play :)

On her screen it displays the proper elf interface, and on mine the orc interface displays. Very very cool....

Once I am able to "polish" them up a bit more (as in remove the quests that display at the start, which I am not using), I am probably going to create many MP maps and ZIP them and make them public. It is all about terrain, custom built forces, and good ol turn based strategy.

Working great right now!

Made a new map, medium sized, 4000 gold per side, 3 towns per side each with deploy spots surrounding them, terrain shifts from plains to forest to swamp... roads and rivers wind through, mountains seperate the middle with just a few paths through it (bottlenecks)... very cool stuff:)

Sorry if I sound cheesily excited!

When I first played the game I went right for the multiplayer, since that is what I enjoy most, and was a bit dissapointed... now... I am pleased as can be! That map editor is sweeetness!!

A good map editor = the ability for the community to grow and prosper with no involvment from the company, it will help make FW a long term success.

HOOWAH!