PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'm on 1946!

P-51
10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Just to let you guys know, Ive finally got IL2 1946 on my new PC. It runs like a dream!

If anyone wants to do some co-op or play some dogfight etc, do post below. Once I've worked the online out, I'll be up there on your wing! :)

Ze-Jamz
10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Congrats mate but why dont you post it in the IL2 section (Stirmovik)?

This is the console version of the game

P-51
10-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I know mate, I was letting my fellow Bop'ers know ;) hence the OT at the start of the thread title.

I will head there though, I need a hand with updating it. >.<

MACADEMIC
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Off Topic from Off Topic: Do you have Wings of Prey as well?

MAC

Ze-Jamz
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I know mate, I was letting my fellow Bop'ers know ;) hence the OT at the start of the thread title.

I will head there though, I need a hand with updating it. >.<

Lol..sry m8

Didnt see that..my bad :)

SEE
10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
IL1946 is a big Sim. I'm sure you will enjoy it and you need to add the official update patches in the order that they were released. You will also need 'Hyperlobby' for online play (which is free) and lists all the servers available, once installed you launch it, select your server and it loads IL1946 for you. All the info is on the IL2 sister site along with the tweaks to optimise the graphics way beyond what a standard installation provides

I would recommend you do that first, then at a later date add one of the modpacks such a UltraPack 3 or SASmodact 3. Some servers require you to have these packs installed and/or running at least official version 4.11. Out of the box I think its 4.07.

Get Headtracking, probably the best accessory ever designed for Flightsims apart from a Flightstick and essential if you intend to go on full realism servers at some point.

If your PC can handle it get 'Cliffs of Dover' too!

P-51
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Off Topic from Off Topic: Do you have Wings of Prey as well?

MAC

I don't :( Sorry!

@Ze-Jamz:
No problem! :)

@SEE:
I have the patches installing as we speak (in the right order) and hyperlobby is up and running. I'm VGGuy on it, by the way :)
I'll have to look at those mods - will I be able to play non-modded games with them installed?

I have been looking at CoD and WoP :p Thought I might hang out for a little while for them to become cheaper - not enough funds at the moment :(

Edit: Also, I cant seem to see the part about upgrading the graphics. Maybe I'm bing thick..

SEE
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
P51, if you tell me which GFX card you have installed, model, memory size, etc ( it will be an ATI or NVidea) I will post what you need to do, how to do it, etc. I will also link you to some threads that may be useful. The objective is to have the game running in 'Perfect' which you cannot do by the in game graphics menu. If you think its good now, wait untill you see it running in 'perfect' mode.

The latest Modpacls allow you to select wether to run IL1946 modified or Vanilla (unmodded) via a simple start menu - you just select which you want to run. For someone new to the process of modding I would strongly suggest UP3 as this includes all the popular mods and more flyable planes than you could ever wish for and its self installing.

Discussion of Mods was prohibited on 1C but that ban was lifted so you can find out more in the 1c IL1946 mods forum. Also google UP3 and you will find the UltraPack website with lots of usefull info and download links (its a frigging huge set of files so be warned that it takes time to get them all DL'd to your pc. Well worth it though!

P-51
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
It's an ATI Radeon HD 6870 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-040-HS). All you should need is on the link :)

I did think it's good now to be honest :p For the age of the game.

I'll head to the sister site now and see what I can find on UP3 ther , before heading off and downloading it. It cant be as big as IL2 1946 and DCS A-10C from steam, though - that took a while and a half!

Thanks a lot! It's really apreciated! We'll have to fly sometime :D

SEE
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
The graphics will look a bit dated compared to BoP but that is very much an initial response. After a while the graphics are actually better in key areas of flight simmimg rather than just the ground textures.

I haven't launched IL1946 since Clod came out but once you have it running and feel comfortable with it I will certainly join you in a session.

I'm on my laptop at the moment but will post what you need to do to run 'Perfect' when I get on my PC. A standard install usually has the game running in 'excellent' (which sounds good but is inferior to 'Perfect').

I would suggest you run the game initially unmodded 4.11 then copy the entire directory and store it on your hard disk. You can have as many copies as you want but it's standard practice to have at least one vanilla version copy just in case you need to start over and not have to go through applying all the patch updates. You can copy the folder as many times as you want and run the game from any of those folders.

FOZ_1983
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Sweet mercy!!

What a chore it is just to play games!! Updates and patches, mods, other mods,other things.....

Granted the games are probably better,but im glad all i have to do is stick it in a disk tray and close it haha.

P-51, you'll love the game though. I briefly played it when it first came out and loved it.

SEE
10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
That's the only drawback FOZ but PC flightssims are immensley more powerful and PC systems can vary so much. It seems complex but its actually fairly straightforward.

Optimising IL1946 Graphics.

1. Most graphics tweaks are implemented through making changes to the Conf.ini file (not the game or set up menus which make far too many unwanted changes).

2. The Conf.ini file is in your IL1946 Directory - copy and paste it to a folder for future reference and a backup.

3. Launch game and verify you are running V4.11 in the opening loadscreen

4. At the opening menu select 'Hardware Setup' then 'Video Modes' and select OpenGL as the driver, select your screen resolution (you can change this in the conf file as well) and select to run in 'Full screen' mode. Apply changes and go back.

5. Now select Video options - you should see that virually every every option is High or excellent but no option regards 'Perfect' (this is why you have
to change the Conf.ini file to access Perfect.

6. Exit the game and navigate to your game folder.

7. Using Notepad - open the Conf.ini file in your game folder and scroll down. It contains all data regards Flightsticks, keyboard settings, as well as everything else including GFX settings.

8. The first Part of the Conf.ini file (width - height) shows your screen resolution - change this to match your monitor.

[window]
width=1920
height=1080
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

8. Now scroll down the file untill you come across [Render OpenGL] and change the values after each = sign to match those below. Once finished - save and launch IL1946.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

You should be running in perfect and you can check this in the game video options menu ..it will list Perfect for ground textures.

More optimisation can be done in your GFX driver utility- go to the IL2 forum and post you GFX card make and model and ask what settings people are using for that card. Default settings should be OK for the time being.

There are hundreds of excellent campaigns and Missions available from 'Mission4Today' website but wait untill you have the game up and running and modded with all the extra ac and maps.

Enjoy.................

P-51
10-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks mate! I't looks so much better!

Now to download the UP3. It is massive! :P

SEE
10-13-2011, 11:28 PM
You will be able to practice and perfect your carrier landing/takeoff for 'Birds of Steel'. USN (F4'S) and RN (Seafire....yea!) campaigns are great and of course you will have the nimble Zero's to contend with!

BTW, some Pacific missions can take an hour or more to complete, but if you need to, you can skip waypoints and the game will automaticaly drop you into the action.........there is a 'timeskip' option in the key assignments menu.

hurricane
10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
That's the only drawback FOZ but PC flightssims are immensley more powerful and PC systems can vary so much. It seems complex but its actually fairly straightforward.

Optimising IL1946 Graphics.

1. Most graphics tweaks are implemented through making changes to the Conf.ini file (not the game or set up menus which make far too many unwanted changes).

2. The Conf.ini file is in your IL1946 Directory - copy and paste it to a folder for future reference and a backup.

3. Launch game and verify you are running V4.11 in the opening loadscreen

4. At the opening menu select 'Hardware Setup' then 'Video Modes' and select OpenGL as the driver, select your screen resolution (you can change this in the conf file as well) and select to run in 'Full screen' mode. Apply changes and go back.

5. Now select Video options - you should see that virually every every option is High or excellent but no option regards 'Perfect' (this is why you have
to change the Conf.ini file to access Perfect.

6. Exit the game and navigate to your game folder.

7. Using Notepad - open the Conf.ini file in your game folder and scroll down. It contains all data regards Flightsticks, keyboard settings, as well as everything else including GFX settings.

8. The first Part of the Conf.ini file (width - height) shows your screen resolution - change this to match your monitor.

[window]
width=1920
height=1080
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

8. Now scroll down the file untill you come across [Render OpenGL] and change the values after each = sign to match those below. Once finished - save and launch IL1946.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

You should be running in perfect and you can check this in the game video options menu ..it will list Perfect for ground textures.

More optimisation can be done in your GFX driver utility- go to the IL2 forum and post you GFX card make and model and ask what settings people are using for that card. Default settings should be OK for the time being.

There are hundreds of excellent campaigns and Missions available from 'Mission4Today' website but wait untill you have the game up and running and modded with all the extra ac and maps.

Enjoy.................

eeeeehhhhhhhhh?

Robotic Pope
10-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Whats that Bucket? ;)

SEE
10-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Partly, but some of the setting are dependent on wether you have a Nvidia or ATI GFX card. The settings I posted are for ATI without Texture compression. Try Hardware shaders = 1 with texture compression - your card should be able to handle it,