PDA

View Full Version : SR2: Gold V2.(?)

Trappin
02-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi, just wondering how the work is progressing on the new SR2G version. Is 1C still on track for a Q1 2008 release? Will this new release bring the English version up to the current Russian 2.(1)? version. Can you post an image of the retail box art and bonus items? Too many questions? sorry :-P Want to save money? Just package up and send us the Russian version(s) of the bonus materials.. those will be more interesting than transcribed English versions anyhow.

How many English version units do you anticipate will be sold ? Sorry if that sounds like an unnecessary question but I'm a very nosy person :rolleyes:

Jumpy from EG forum:

SR 2 Reloaded the russian version was basically "easy" to do, it's a bundle of fan-made quests, some new pieces of equipment/ships and finetuned gameplay. A great deal of it was already playtested (versions from 1.3 onwards). It was just kind of waiting to be wrapped into one package.

The english version is a little different, it actually requires a lot of translation work, compatibility checks etc. so it will take a little time. For example the english v 1.3 is slightly differend from russian, some quests etc had to be left out from english version because they were too localised ( = didn't translate well, at least that's how I've understood it).

Does this sound correct? A slightly reduced English 2.1 version is better than an old V1.3 by an means. Com'on toss us ankle biters a bone here.. whats happenin' baby!! Shake some bacon and watch the coyotes come running !

uk_john
02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Me too Trappin! Someone somewhere must have some news, don't you think? Can't wait for this one and fully expect it to get more coverage in the media than the first one, so hopefully more gamers will find out about this fantastic game! :) As to sales, I reckon 500,000 units are possible, assuming a fair number of SR2 owners buy it again and the word goes out quicker. Unfortunately, when you have games like Bioshock and Crysis not even selling 250,000 units on PC in North America, you cannot get in the million+ sales position unless you have a Sims nowadays. Pc gaming is just not that strong at the moment.

But what small publishers need to do is bite the bullet and continue promoting the game over the long haul, continuing getting word of mouth out there and never ever releasing it on a budget label or 'giving up' on it. I compare this game with an PC only adventure game called 'The Longest Journey' that was released in 2000. It got little coverage, but over the first year it started getting lots of good word of mouth, this word of mouth reached the States and so when the game was released over there it was bought by an eager public and got glowing reviews in the U.S. press and PC gaming websites. This generated the revenue to allow foreign versions to be made. In the end because of this 'slow burn' TLJ was almost selling as many units in year 3 as it was in year one. As of today I believe TLJ has been produced in 11 different languages and has sold 7 million units. And yet most people outside of adventuring have never heard of it!

SR2 Gold could go down this road if they stick with it. So maybe 200,000 units in the first year and another 100,000 in the second and subsequent years, where most one year old games are already on various budget labels, or have been 'given up on'.

bman654
02-05-2008, 03:22 AM
I bought TLJ based on good reviews and I don't buy adventure games. Though I have to admit I never finished it. I got as far as travelling to another world then got side-tracked and never picked the game up again. I like the soundtrack and often listen to it while playing other games.