PDA

View Full Version : Men of War Vietnam Rescue POW Mission US Campaign

oldnavy80
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I have 8 men and have attached from every point and get wiped out in short order. Does anyone have info to get pass the roadblock or where to attack and what to do, I am stuck 2 days on this part of the mission. Thanks!

James6584
09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
When I did this I sat mostly everyone back and used the sniper to draw the enemy out, I killed maybe 15-20 enemies before even getting near the base. Once in I just placed men in strategic positions to cover and suppress and let the enemies attack our well dug in positions.

I know this isn't probably that helpful, just saying how I did it, so maybe it will help you too, but I'm sure someone else has a better method probably :)

oldnavy80
09-21-2011, 08:02 PM
at this point ill try anything, thanks James

Man o' war
09-22-2011, 06:03 PM
at this point ill try anything

Not sure if this will help you but it worked for me...

I was playing that mission on normal difficulty and I did the following:

Placed the team you get at the start of the game in the woods near the spot where the fence wire is crushed by a tree; where 2 enemy guards are positioned ( I lost John Merill ) and ordered them to return fire only.

Then I placed, I think four men i rescued at the spot where the entrance is guarded by a few guards behind sandbags, returning fire only (before you place these guys, i recommend that you kill the guards patroling around the base with a knife and carry their bodies in the forest).

Finally, I placed 4 or 5 POW's far west, near the heavily guarded entrance and ordered them to hold fire.

Now, the thing is, this might not work for you at the first try, but keep trying and eventually you will succeed.

I oreder my men (at the crushed wire) to fire at will and when they shoot those 2 guards, about 20 more comes out of the houses. ( Be aware that when your men start shooting, The DSKHM Heavy MG at the entrance with the towers might start shooting at your men, so cover them from it's fire. And there will be an enemy convoy coming in 10 minutes.)

I lost 4 of my men and was left with only 1, Carl Dillan.

The next step is to kill the guards at the entrance with sandbags (easiest way is with a nade) and send your men forward, to the trucks and ored them to fire at will.

The last step is a bit complicated; athe the heavily guarded entrance to the west, select 1 of your men and go in Direct Control ( "END" ) then throw a nade to the DSKHM MG and quickly throw a nade at the few soldiers behind sandbags in front of you and order your men to fire at will and take cover.

And there you go, you should have the base clear in about 5 minutes.

DO NOT GO IN THE POW AREA UNTIL YOU HAVE DEALT WITH THE CONVOY

Then man the ZSU AA guns and prepare for the convoy.

The convoy will have about a tank and 2 apc's and a few trucks loaded with infantry ( They will keep coming if you killed all of the convoy, I recommend leaving the tank with a wrecked main gun and a blown off track so that they don't come anymore )

There you go, I hope this helped. I will try to get a few screenshots to help you. :)

rob8686
09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
You could probably use the 'snipe & repeat' method because that seems to work all the time but I used another method which had satisfying results.

I play on hard and never lose a man (of course, sometimes it takes reloading).

This is from memory so I might be forgetting something.

First step after rescuing the POWs was splitting my teams up equally and snuck them to the closest entrance to the POW camp. Remember to crawl, not walk. Keep them in the bushes. Rotate them with R key so they're aiming at the enemy behind sandbags.

Then throw 3 or 4 grenades at them in slow motion ("1"). Give them time to explode and then set your squads to Fire at will to mop up any survivors. You should be able to do it with no friendly casualties unless someone gets hit.

Then rush your two squads up to the sandbags and they're relatively invincible behind them while you decide your next step.

Then I used Merril or whatever his name is (The Silenced Ak47) to silently take out any patrolling enemy, the ones walking around by themselves.

My next step was to take out the "roadblock" up at the top. It's kind of difficult because of the psychic AI. I snuck them through the woods around the pow camp, used Silenced AK47 to kill any patrolling guys walking around. I put one squad on each side, then I used Dillan's grenade launcher to take out an entire side of the road block (lucky, but i'll take it). The other side was a bit difficult more difficult, I mostly sniped but eventually I drew the attention of the MG and snuck a squad up behind them and threw a bunch of grenades.

Then I stole one HMG from the roadblock, and moved it around to the south (I tried north, but that position didn't work so great for me). Put a couple guys on the hmg and another in the hmg tower and those two HMGs will annihilate everything if you aim them at priority targets (men running to the big guns). This is then the "countdown" started from being detected. Unrealistic, I know considering all the grenade explosions. It gave me plenty enough time to kill everything and rescue the pows.

I found that my soldiers just died if I attempted to use them, so I let the two HMG do the work. They're practically invincible unless attacked from the side. I didn't use the AA guns or whatever they are, because the HMG unfortunately destroyed them.

bigbossmalone
11-10-2011, 05:22 AM
i've read through this thread, and i'm not really sure if it's the same mission i'm stuck on, simply because things are being discussed that i either don't have, or more likely, haven't even got to that point yet.
for me, it's the 5th mission for the us campaign - i start with 5 men in a swampy area, and i have about 3 minutes to rescue a group of POW''s from a firing squad.
my problem is i don't know how the heck to get there - every path i try to take, my men seem to either just drown in the swamp, and there is a sniper who takes at least one of my men out before i can take him out.
i don't want to be losing any of my men so early in the mission, so what's the deal here?
is there some specific path i need to take to get to the POW's in time?
i can't find this path, seemingly every way i go, my guys just all start dying from unknown reasons, i'm not sure if they're drowning, being sniped, or hitting booby traps, but it seems every time i try to cross watery parts of the swamp, they all just suffer an instant death.
what's the secret to getting to the POWs, both in the time i have, and preferably without losing any men to the mysterious swamp death...?
any advice welcomed....

edit: ok, i found the path, thanks - as usual, after trying unsuccessfully for a few days, i solved it within minutes of posting here. ain't that just the way, lol.

James6584
11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
@bigbossmalone I found this kinda difficult too, if you move each man it is easier as they do not spread out and go in to the water, you just need to move directly ahead towards the nearest little islands, going basically all the way around the swamp before coming to a couple of bridges on the right. I advise using someone with a silenced weapon, that way if you target the guards along the way and take them out, the snipers will not be alerted and you can move up no problem.

What I did was sent Merill up to clear the way and he rescued the prisoners on his own, then i moved the rest of the guys up one by one at like 15 feet a time so they were still together but they were not drowning, moving the whole group is a nightmare as they spread out in to the water.

Fortunately this is the only swampy section so as soon as you are through you don't have to worry :)

it068
12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm stuck in this mission, but specifically, i'm stuck on the protect the chopper part of it. The big NVa tanks keep on destroying the chopper before it can evac all my troops. How do you destroy them? RPG's just bounbce off their armour! :(

Man o' war
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm stuck in this mission, but specifically, i'm stuck on the protect the chopper part of it. The big NVa tanks keep on destroying the chopper before it can evac all my troops. How do you destroy them? RPG's just bounbce off their armour! :(

I towed the ZU-23's near and placed them near the temple, they helped me a lot, destroying a few of enemy tanks and APC's and loads of infantry.

Did you try to use the airstrike? You'll have it available within the minutes when the evac starts.

If that doesn't work, try placing a few of your men in a position from which they will be able to hit the tanks in the rear. You can also try to diable their turret and main guns. But this may prove to be difficult because you need to get all of your troops in the chopper. Few might die this way!