PDA

View Full Version : Is this Game Good or Bad?

Mack the Knife
09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
seems there's a wide range of reactions to this game. some guys like it, some hate it. since there is no demo and watching videos isn't the same as playing, maybe people could comment here whether pro or con (and a short reason why) so people teetering on buying the game could come just here to read all the yays and nays.

so, is this game good or bad?

spray_n_pray
09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Here are a few pros and cons. There is some overlap.

Pros:

lot's of stealth missions
nice looking graphics (for being a DirectX 9 game)
it's a game about Vietnam (a unique setting)
the multiplayer, although limited, is fun

Cons:

lot's of stealth mission
only 10 missions in the standard game
only 3 non-coop maps
GEM editor not included
at times buggy
costs $35
no mod tab

SpeedWolf
09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I posted a short review on steam, it maybe able to help you decide,

Anyone that follow the series from the time of (Soldiers: Heroes of World War II) would enjoy the Men of War Vietnam campaign. As this take you back to the old game play that many of us who was unhappy with assault squad due to the lack of a real campaign from past installment would enjoy this one,

I would like to inform the newcomer that come from assault squad not to buy this unless you have enjoy previous installment of this series before assault squad ever existed,

This is the series that many of you may have not known,

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (2004)
Silent Heroes (2006)
Faces of War (2006)
Men of War (2009)
Men of War: Red Tide (2009)
Men of War: Assault Squad (2011)
Men of War: Vietnam (2011)

Upcoming
Men of War: Condemned Heroes (unknown)
Men of War: Tskhinvali Is On Fire (unknown)

If you have never played any of them, try the demo that are available.

I recommend buying Men of War (2009) as this one have everything from the past and present installment of this series.

I also would like to say that the price it a bit high on steam, i would wait until the price go down to a reasonable price, due to the lack said by spray_n_pray, but a side that it a very good game if you like the campaign from past installment.

Fred DM
09-16-2011, 10:55 PM
if cost is an issue, both GetGames and GreenManGaming are running promos on the game. the downside is that they aren't currently activatable on Steam, but the option is upcoming. ;)

Mack the Knife
09-16-2011, 11:40 PM
speedwolf, i've played all previous games and most won't be reading this to find out if they should. they want to know about this game. can you comment directly on why YOU like or dislike Vietnam? thanks...

spray, are you just saying $35 is alot of money for a game or are you saying the game is not worth $35?

spray_n_pray
09-17-2011, 02:18 AM
speedwolf, i've played all previous games and most won't be reading this to find out if they should. they want to know about this game. can you comment directly on why YOU like or dislike Vietnam? thanks...

spray, are you just saying $35 is alot of money for a game or are you saying the game is not worth $35?

I don't think the standard edition is worth $35.

Ninja2dan
09-17-2011, 03:34 AM
I finished the US campaign last night. I had already finished the NVA campaign the day before the "patch" came out, so I didn't install it. Both campaigns were fun, although each had some flaws as well. So far I have only started the first SE solo map, haven't finished any yet though.

I'm a huge fan of the MoW series. I like being able to micro-manage at times, looting bodies here and there trying to make sure everyone is ammo'd up and full on med kits, grenades, helmets, etc. In fact, at times I get a bit TOO organized. I'll find a lull in combat, and spend 30 minutes or more just piling up dead bodies, moving all weapons/ammo/gear to specific crates or in neat little piles, then fully gear out each individual soldier based on their skill and what supplies are available.

I also love the ability to take command of units, from infantry to vehicles, and shoot when I want, where I want, how I want. Sometimes the AI controlling your grunts will hold their fire when a shot isn't "perfect", but when taking over you can see that although the round must pass through a hut or bamboo fence, it will penetrate just fine. I can pick people off this way long before the AI would have begun firing. I've also found that in spots where the AI was aiming for a sniper shot it was hitting an obstacle, whereas if I took direct control and tweaked the impact icon just slightly I could shoot over/around said obstacle for a clean hit.

Like any other game, there are going to be flaws. Bugs, poor design aspects, bad AI, etc can be annoying but this game doesn't see a whole lot of it. In my opinion, the little things that annoy you are more than made up for in the overall enjoyment you get out of the game.

As much as I love the game, I would have to agree that the price was way over what it was worth. The game is amazing, but considering the fact that half of it is just leftovers from their previous titles, this game does feel more like an expansion or mod than a whole new title. Sure, we have new landscapes, a few new weapons, new characters, and a couple of newer vehicles, there is so much copied from past titles that it feels way too familiar. And in regards to "function" or "features", I didn't see anything new added really. In fact, several features that I had come used to from previous titles were actually REMOVED from the game (such as being able to pick up barrels and move them around in a similar fashion to moving bodies).

Sorry 1C, but after completing both campaigns, I just don't feel the $32 I paid on Steam for the Special Edition was worth near that much. Maybe $20, or $15 for the non-SE version, but with a $35 MSRP I would have expected to see much more new stuff added. I am hoping that through future updates they will be adding more to make up for the value.

A lot of us MoW fans had been waiting a long time for this game, with high expectations. With the slew of bad reviews, and complaints about being over-priced, I see the sales of the game falling off sharply once the initial release frenzy wears off. If you plan to make good sales numbers, start working on some updates.

SpeedWolf
09-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Well said Ninja2dan,

To: Mack the Knife
the game is good but not at the price they're asking for. if it was 20 or 15$ it worth it anything more is too much,

the Men of War Vietnam Special Edition you get 5 more mission that are recycle from some of the other mission but set differently, you also get 3 victory flag map but it just a tag on mode, is still fun but it was not done well at all,

You can see for yourself,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxtmkxWhGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_g0OdKiMsU

hopefully they will fix the flag mistake of the north Vietnamese, as of now it have the USSR flag,