PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed 1C!

micromancer
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
The thread title says it all.

First of all, I technically got what I expected. A typical Men of War game: extremely tough SP missions (:grin:), the worst voice acting ever (yes, don't worry - it got even worse!) and the missions are unpredictable and imho pretty fun like they have always been.

But here starts my critism, I try to keep it constructive...

First off, this costs 30 €. For 30 €, we get 10 single-player missions that aren't even particularly long. I really expected A LOT longer missions for this money! I am only trough with the Vietnamese campaign now and I can only say: if the USA campaign isn't at least twice as long, it is NOT worth the money.
But OK, at least they are fun and challenging on hard.

Now: the games improvements compared to Men of War:
- erm.. there.. there are new HDR.. ah no wait HDR doesn't seem to work for me.. but there's.. well the new units don't have to be mentioned... maybe... no that's been in MOW already... ah I give up.
I couldn't find A SINGLE IMPROVEMENT upon the MoW game apart from a bit refined graphics. Want examples what I think could.. no SHOULD have been improved?

- The AI still fires on positions where there have been enemies before - even if those are long-dead!
- Rocket launchers ARE STILL BUGGED!! (they still lose penetration over distance) Seriously, this one got me enraged! In MoW it was bad enough but now - dont you even play your own game?!? Theres actually a tool-tip "Rocket-launchers don't lose penetration over distance etc etc".
- The AI is stupid as always - eg you can still mow them down with a motorboat - they all just charge at the coast to see what's going on
- Projectiles still fly in slow-motion
- everything else that bugged you in Men of War

And to finish this: no mod support and the MP is boring and crap compared to Assalt Squad (again, nothing apart from the units changed).

Really, I am a huge, huge MoW fan. I was eagerly awaiting this and prepurchased it instantly. I can only say: I have lost faith in you and am disappointed. Utterly disappointed. I'm sure support will be dropped, nothing will be improved at all and there we are. Ten new MoW missions with a dozen new vehicles and maybe two dozen new small arms. For the price of the full MoW game.

There's actually just one question remaining for me. What took you so long releasing this game - did you have like two men working on it?!?
Won't blind-buy the next MoW title for sure.

D_D
09-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Does the MP even work? When I tried it set to LAN, I could only select the original WW2 MOW nations, of which a few USSR/US infantry would work, everything else caused a CTD when trying to buy that unit....

psycho pigeon
09-09-2011, 05:01 PM
just got my cd-key on steam, i restarted steam and loaded up vietnam and it popped up.

SaOk
09-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I have liked the game so far much. Super challening, but fun. I failed to destroy one huey in first campaign mission and its now shooting rockets after me. :) I have played now 2.1 hours the first mission and still one task to reach, so its not that short. ;)

I also saw AI withdrawing at church, before attacking again from hideouts when some more backup arrived. Nice small details. ;)

totte1015
09-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I am so pissed of so i wont buy this game, lucky shit i didnt do it...

highness
09-09-2011, 11:14 PM
so this sounds like this is just a rebadged/retextured regular M.O.W. game with new 3d models but in a jungle / vietnam theater and without any game-play improvments and/or new features?

Therefore, i highly presume that many of existing game-play annoyances glitches and bugs we already experience in other MOW series hasn't been fixed neither probably no new features hasn't been introduced...

Then if two guys were working on this it doesn't surprise me it took so long, probably one of them was doing the new 3d models and the other one painted the textures...

im a hardcore MOW fan and now when i read this thread i'm very disappointed to hear how much this highly potential game got neglected by it's developers

Derfel
09-10-2011, 12:19 AM
What's the point of this game with absolutely "NO" new features? Why don't you improve anything, why don't you correct mistakes from past games? If you don't want to do these, why do you remove past good features?

Where is beatufilly designed and exciting missions, detailed maps, mod support, map editor, large scale battles? Why can't we even use this shitty helicopters? All I see in this game is lots of trees, weird enemy AI as always, dozens of enemy soldiers and a small squad of soldiers which usualy gives a headache to babysitting.

I couldn't try multiplayer features yet. (I am having some issues when starting the game and on multiplayer screen. Just verified game files, it has started to download 2 of them again.) But I hope there is something new worth my money. Hope multiplayer modes are funny and I hope further missions are not as unpleasant as first ones. (By the way, how many missions are there in this game?) Or it will be last time I wasted my money on this series. It makes me sick I bought same game 4 times with no improvement on game engine. Seriously, how many did it take to finish this game? 2 weeks?

I enjoyed really much past games of this series, I was looking something like that for a long time. But this game is disappointing. Men of War: Vietnam should have been a mod made by players, not a game which is 40$.

highness
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM
definitely this is a MOD, not a new full game ...

even the voice acting of the US GI's is the same as from the ww2 mow series

and for the rest as voice acting, honestly.... lol :-P i think i would go with static images & just text/subtitles for mission briefings without voice at all, either that should be done perfectly or just remain modest and minimalist, but not at unprofessional level as it is now.

if i was only the owner of 1C company , i would have immediately either 1)fired the current art director of MOW or 2) hired a new one

Colonel
09-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Lots of complaints everywhere. Haven't bought the game yet. Not sure whether I should bother.

Zombifreak
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Lots of complaints everywhere. Haven't bought the game yet. Not sure whether I should bother.

Don't wait until the game is less that 5$ to buy it, it's extremely buggy, impossible, and the multiplayer doesn't even work..:evil:

kane1
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
The thread title says it all.

First of all, I technically got what I expected. A typical Men of War game: extremely tough SP missions (:grin:), the worst voice acting ever (yes, don't worry - it got even worse!) and the missions are unpredictable and imho pretty fun like they have always been.

But here starts my critism, I try to keep it constructive...

First off, this costs 30 €. For 30 €, we get 10 single-player missions that aren't even particularly long. I really expected A LOT longer missions for this money! I am only trough with the Vietnamese campaign now and I can only say: if the USA campaign isn't at least twice as long, it is NOT worth the money.
But OK, at least they are fun and challenging on hard.

Now: the games improvements compared to Men of War:
- erm.. there.. there are new HDR.. ah no wait HDR doesn't seem to work for me.. but there's.. well the new units don't have to be mentioned... maybe... no that's been in MOW already... ah I give up.
I couldn't find A SINGLE IMPROVEMENT upon the MoW game apart from a bit refined graphics. Want examples what I think could.. no SHOULD have been improved?

- The AI still fires on positions where there have been enemies before - even if those are long-dead!
- Rocket launchers ARE STILL BUGGED!! (they still lose penetration over distance) Seriously, this one got me enraged! In MoW it was bad enough but now - dont you even play your own game?!? Theres actually a tool-tip "Rocket-launchers don't lose penetration over distance etc etc".
- The AI is stupid as always - eg you can still mow them down with a motorboat - they all just charge at the coast to see what's going on
- Projectiles still fly in slow-motion
- everything else that bugged you in Men of War

And to finish this: no mod support and the MP is boring and crap compared to Assalt Squad (again, nothing apart from the units changed).

Really, I am a huge, huge MoW fan. I was eagerly awaiting this and prepurchased it instantly. I can only say: I have lost faith in you and am disappointed. Utterly disappointed. I'm sure support will be dropped, nothing will be improved at all and there we are. Ten new MoW missions with a dozen new vehicles and maybe two dozen new small arms. For the price of the full MoW game.

There's actually just one question remaining for me. What took you so long releasing this game - did you have like two men working on it?!?
Won't blind-buy the next MoW title for sure.

I wish I could take your comments one point at a time and take them apart with intelligent and thought provoking counter points, but I can't, oh wait Stupid smiley face. I'm a huge fan also and you make great points(Stupid smiley face) so i guess one of my reasons for buying this game will have too be Support.

Zombifreak
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I wish I could take your comments one point at a time and take them apart with intelligent and thought provoking counter points, but I can't, oh wait Stupid smiley face. I'm a huge fan also and you make great points(Stupid smiley face) so i guess one of my reasons for buying this game will have too be Support.

Why would you support a game that deserves none? they literally just slapped some bushes in the game and charged us 35$ for a "Brand spanking new" title which shouldn't even be more than 5$

kane1
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Why would you support a game that deserves none? they literally just slapped some bushes in the game and charged us 35$ for a "Brand spanking new" title which shouldn't even be more than 5$

I've been reading the comments on two forums, most of it bad. I did briefly consider not to buy this game. It wasn't until I read "Wait for it to be in the bargain bin" that I knew I wanted this game. Then I read "I'm disappointed 1C!" , micromancer has all very valid points but they won't stop me from buying this game. I own all the games starting with SHoWW2 and consider them my favorite WW2 RTS games. The day that they stop making new MoW games will be a sad day for me. I can only hope that with my continued support(and the support of others) the Dev's will keep trying to make better and better MoW games for the future.

commanderz
09-11-2011, 11:37 PM
any idea how to enable HDR...it grayed...

UnseenOni
09-12-2011, 07:24 AM
I think that one of the major lackings in both Vietnam and AS (the only two that i have) is that unlike COH or any other WW2 or otherwise strategy game, there isnt the option to play a multiplayer battle against the AI, i am not an online player, 1 my internet sucks, 2 i easily get frustrated at other players because i am a defensive player and will spend hours building a impossible to breach defensive line and i will be overrun early on because of this, i like playing against the AI, if Black Ops can have an AI for combat training then why cant MOW have one for the same purpose. Other than that i am impressed with MOW AS, Vietnam is a letdown, i waited and waited, and when i first played it i got killed off in 3 1/2 mins on the easiest difficulty, not that i let something like that slow me down, but then i used the little cheat thing to unlock all the levels and all of them were equally as hard, aesthetically pleasing, but lacking in creativity in my opinion, I am a modder, i want to improve games, but i cant improve something that is far too hard to begin to improve.

Fred DM
09-12-2011, 07:34 AM
I think that one of the major lackings in both Vietnam and AS (the only two that i have) is that unlike COH or any other WW2 or otherwise strategy game, there isnt the option to play a multiplayer battle against the AI, i am not an online player, 1 my internet sucks, 2 i easily get frustrated at other players because i am a defensive player and will spend hours building a impossible to breach defensive line and i will be overrun early on because of this, i like playing against the AI, if Black Ops can have an AI for combat training then why cant MOW have one for the same purpose. Other than that i am impressed with MOW AS, Vietnam is a letdown, i waited and waited, and when i first played it i got killed off in 3 1/2 mins on the easiest difficulty, not that i let something like that slow me down, but then i used the little cheat thing to unlock all the levels and all of them were equally as hard, aesthetically pleasing, but lacking in creativity in my opinion, I am a modder, i want to improve games, but i cant improve something that is far too hard to begin to improve.

Assault Squad singleplayer pretty much is multiplayer against the AI, isn't it? the game is skirmish-based and the enemy keeps throwing units at you, while you keep throwing yours against him.

the other installments, including Vietnam, all have a story-driven singleplayer campaign.

UnseenOni
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah but what im talking about is like playing against the AI on the multiplayer maps, sure the skirmishes are fun, and hell i find them challenging even using the editor to change stuff, but i would much rather be able to play against the AI on a map i create that is say 4v4 rather than have to play against human players.

kane1
09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah but what im talking about is like playing against the AI on the multiplayer maps, sure the skirmishes are fun, and hell i find them challenging even using the editor to change stuff, but i would much rather be able to play against the AI on a map i create that is say 4v4 rather than have to play against human players.

Your talking about the kind of skirmish that I was so looking forward to playing(I think). A traditional style skirmish where you pick your maps, funds, units, # of AI players, that would of been great. I still love MoWAS (SP) but it would of been great.
If MoWV is anything like the other games then you can tweak in all kinds of stuff.

UnseenOni
09-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Your talking about the kind of skirmish that I was so looking forward to playing(I think). A traditional style skirmish where you pick your maps, funds, units, # of AI players, that would of been great. I still love MoWAS (SP) but it would of been great.
If MoWV is anything like the other games then you can tweak in all kinds of stuff.

Thats what im talking about, like Company of Heroes, how you could skirmish against the AI rather than human players.

TakAhLah
09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Me too, this is a step backwards for the MOW series.

UnseenOni
09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Me too, this is a step backwards for the MOW series.

A step backwards, more like time travel back to the 90's, lol. These guys could have done so much more with Vietnam, I am a computer science major at the University of Michigan, I see this as an utter failure on their part, I could have done a better job with a handful of modders and a couple of graphic designers. The only thing about Vietnam that i really like is the graphics, hell they even changed around some of the most basic controls which has thrown me off completely.

Fred DM
09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
I am a computer science major at the University of Michigan, I see this as an utter failure on their part

and how many released games do you have under your belt that would make your opinion in any way more relevant than anyone else's?

I could have done a better job with a handful of modders and a couple of graphic designers.
ah, but you didn't, did you?

The only thing about Vietnam that i really like is the graphics, hell they even changed around some of the most basic controls which has thrown me off completely.
Assault Squad changed the controls. Vietnam is true to the series' previous entries.

NoneSuch
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
A step backwards, more like time travel back to the 90's, lol. These guys could have done so much more with Vietnam, I am a computer science major at the University of Michigan, I see this as an utter failure on their part, I could have done a better job with a handful of modders and a couple of graphic designers. The only thing about Vietnam that i really like is the graphics, hell they even changed around some of the most basic controls which has thrown me off completely.

Go on then. We're waiting.

Zombifreak
09-15-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm still waiting for 1C to swallow their "pride" and start handing out refunds to the 95% of customers that are dissapointed.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 01:56 AM
There is literally 2 things 1C need to do to make MOW:Vietnam a good game.
1) Make the GEM Editor available in the game directory just as it is in Men Of War and Men Of War: Assault Squad.
2) Add a mods tab to the options menu.

Both these things can be done with one single update. once they do both these things it opens up the possibility of the Men Of War community to do what we do best. Create our own maps and missions and release them for download as mods.
This would result in the possibility of good multiplayer being an addition to Men Of War: Vietnam.

So Please Please Please 1C release an update that gives us easy access to the GEM Editor for Men Of War: Vietnam.

Fred DM
09-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm still waiting for 1C to swallow their "pride" and start handing out refunds to the 95% of customers that are dissapointed.
you just made that up, didn't you?

Zombifreak
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
you just made that up, didn't you?

I should have said 50% if I wanted it to be true
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Saryk
09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I am also disappointed with the game. I liked all of them and own all of them. But LOVE MoW:AS and expected some of that in this game. Why not use it if it works? Please add some type of Assault Squad type maps to the game.

skypike
09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi, I loved this series but this game is a real disappointment :(

I suggest you to fire the project leader

commanderz
09-17-2011, 05:38 AM
agree...lol...this really a very very bad game...compare to the first 2 MOW..wish had good SP and MP...the SP in Vietnam is way too boring and sleepy...

classic_leon
09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Agree. I have completed the levels tweice including both USA and Viet/Russia Sides in only 1 day. The game is too short... as hell! Normally a Skirmish mode makes short game last longer, but we all know there has not been a real Skirmish for the series of the game, it's an epic failure of use of the title "Skirmish" in MoW:AS. BTW, I found gameplay with "Normal" difficulty is easier than "Easy". The weapons in the game are just remapped WW2 weapns, which look like modern but outdated. I felt I was playing a WW2 game.

dobatron
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Well i just have to say this to the people who said the descriptions of the game before it's release stated that it be would low scale tactical based missions. No don't even lie to yourself unless you're a fan boy or a really into reading game forums and dev dairies you're only aware that's it's Vietnam RTS with small and large scale battles with multilayer missions aside from co-op being available with preorder.

I preordered the game paying little mind to the fact that i was about to get gang raped by steam and 1c for 35 bucks. Even the ******* screen shots paint a picture of a glorious rumble in the jungle to remember. but from minute 1 when your convoy explodes and 4 survivors remained to playing as an elite squad of Americans everything the screen shots and descriptions depicted fell shorter then Garry Colman.

When people think of vietnam they want hueys rapidly deploying infantry in a jungle and soldiers falling into pungee sticks we want to burn villages and conduct search and destroy raids and river patrols. I only play men of war for the multilayer which has been excellent in my opinion in delivering an unique game experience. I knew the multilayer wouldn't be the focus of the new game but I'd hoped the special content would at least hold some value but i was wrong nothing about this game is what the reviews, first looks, and even the steam description leads you on to believe it has more the truly offers.

If they at least made the story interesting I would have been happy but it was so uninteresting i stopped after i reached the American campaign and used a cheat to unlock the missions. I'm sorry but this is just terrible they took all the things i hated about men of war an manifested them into a steaming rapist with a truck marked ice cream.

Mack the Knife
10-08-2011, 03:31 AM
i just got it and i think those that don't like it need to pick up their rubber underwear and their little pink canteens and get the hell outta the jungle!

Slowhand
10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
The critique of MoW:V posted on this forum actually makes me feel sorry MoW:AS was ever published under the franchise title.

Veterans of the series realize the latter was a 'one off' release and accept it as such. Newcomers purchasing MoW:V after their exposure to MoW:AS expected more of the same, resulting in their disappointment with the latest game.

Sure, MoW:AS added a new dimension to the franchise. Still, a lot of discontent could've been avoided had the disenchanted posters undertaken a bit of research before diving into the latest release.

Foremost: what would lead anyone with the remotest knowledge of the Vietnam war to expect large scale battles? In the conventional sense, none were ever fought. This wasn't El Alamein, Kursk or Sevastopol. I doubt Vietnam even has enough room to afford such expansive maneuvers.

Even the largest, from Dien Bien Phu, Khe Sanh, An Loc, Hue, the Tet Offensive, to the eventual fall of Saigon, were mainly asymmetrical confrontations, confined to assaulting fire bases, provincial capitals and adjoining hamlets.

Nevertheless, all previous titles were a healthy mix of many squad-level, few mid-size and rare large-battle scenarios. I can't remember a single mission of the vanilla series where I've been tasked with holding off an endless stream of opposition.

IMO, a lot of disappointment could've been avoided had new players taken the time to review the history of the conflict as well as the series itself. Otherwise, they'd have realized what the franchise is - and has been – about since its inception.

Lastly, I'm out of the argument regarding multiplayer, as I only play single-player campaigns. Nevertheless, if I have any criticism of the title, it'd be the fewer amount of missions compared to previous releases.

All said and done though, I'm very grateful for the continuation of the franchise and this latest installment which I enjoy playing very much.

CMDR Sweeper
10-10-2011, 02:22 AM
I have to agree with the mod things, as for those wanting AS type gameplay... Sorry no battles in 'Nam was big enough, and even those that were had little to NO armor...
Assault Squad was in my opinion the most boring one of them all, if you had seen one of the missions, you had seen them all.
Men of War and Vietnam however introduced the SP and cracking riddles kind of gameplay.

In other words, infiltration, equipment theft (Well one battle I did manage to steal a couple of M48 tanks.)
The joy of this game is not fighting large scale battles, if you want that then I am sorry to say, MoW is NOT for you.
Men Of War with its direct control feature is best enjoyed on sneaky SP missions and Coop moments.
In fact, I dare to say Men Of War and Men Of War Vietnam is ONLY enjoyable in Coop, the workload and coordination required micro management wise, is too much for one person.

The first mission in the campaign where you have to kill a couple of pilots illustrates this perfectly.
You cannot fire 2x M-79s at the same time and with the same accuracy in single player, it just isn't doable.

Mack the Knife
10-10-2011, 02:53 AM
I dare to say Men Of War and Men Of War Vietnam is ONLY enjoyable in Coop, the workload and coordination required micro management wise, is too much for one person
perhaps, if that one person is a dullard and prone to drooling on the keyboard. ring a bell? you can't be frickin serious

CMDR Sweeper
10-10-2011, 04:53 AM
So Mack? How would you solve the situation I gave you? How would you fire 2x M79s at the same time from two different positions?

Fred DM
10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
So Mack? How would you solve the situation I gave you? How would you fire 2x M79s at the same time from two different positions?

slow down time and quickly switch from one soldier to the other? :confused: i've been doing that since the original MoW to co-ordinate attacks.

CMDR Sweeper
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Sadly you wouldn't have time to do that, the grenades have to land at the same time to score a kill in both camps.
Coop also makes MoW more fun as your buddy can do a ruckus at one side of the camp, while you can use the ruckus to pick off the enemy from behind while they are busy.

Mack the Knife
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
So Mack? How would you solve the situation
that's not the point. the point is you are incorrect stating that single player is too difficult to manage.

CMDR Sweeper
10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
that's not the point. the point is you are incorrect stating that single player is too difficult to manage.

Yes, and I gave you a SAMPLE situation to solve that proves that point.

Mack the Knife
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
one situation does not prove a point. however, YOU ARE missing the point! you're giving new readers the impression the game is too complicated for a single individual just because YOU can't resolve a problem. i could give a rats ass about firing two M79's, all i'm saying is that new players will find the game highly enjoyable in single player mode, contrary to your assessment which seems to be based solely on the fact that you can't figure something out. enough said...

CMDR Sweeper
10-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Well sure you can play it CoC style, but there are bugs that also prevents it.
I gave YOU a simple situation where YOU COULD PROVE ME WRONG! But you didn't.
It is the truth, and not just me, maybe you could crack some nut or just play CoC (Company of Heroes) and go Gung Ho, but that isn't what this game is all about.
The last mission of the Russian / VC campaign is also one more where it takes coordination unless you give a rats ass about being spotted and want to rely on speed.

Granted you do have the benefit of save and reload, but that isn't what this is about.