PDA

View Full Version : Phosphene visual artifacts and temporary partial blindness

Peccator
01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
In BoB, will there be a temporary visual penalty for looking directly into the sun?

Similarly if you look up into the bright sky for a few seconds, and then look back down to earth, it'd be great if it took a couple of moments for your eyes to adjust to the darker lighting.

Bobb4
01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
In BoB, will there be a temporary visual penalty for looking directly into the sun?

Similarly if you look up into the bright sky for a few seconds, and then look back down to earth, it'd be great if it took a couple of moments for your eyes to adjust to the darker lighting.

A similiar question was asked about night flying and muzzle flash and search lights causing limited time blindness... Oleg responded that this was already in the Il2 engine and just required scripting by the map designer...
So I guess sunglare, bloom or whatever you want to call it will almost definately be ingame.
But that is just an educated guess

II./JG1_Wilcke
01-25-2008, 04:29 PM

I would stipulate to being able to just hide in the sun. Also, to the AI being unable to see you hiding in the sun.

As for the rest of it...BLOOM can be a resource/render hog, as far as a temporary "blindness" from the sun....I don't know I fly in RL and the sun is always there and you just get "used" to it...you have to look at it especially out on the West Coast it seem like every evening approach is into the sun. Dirty, bug soaked wind screen, lots of scratches, and that nice setting sun on final! :rolleyes: I sure don't need that in the sim....to enjoy it...there are other things that require that kind of polish; I guess if everything else is perfect you could try modeling that in a sim.

Avimimus
01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
The effect from a searchlight doesn't last long enough in Il-2 and is closer to what one would expect if the eye was undilated (daytime). It is known that bombers were extremely vulnerable for up to a couple of minutes after they got hit by a search light (assuming that they were at low altitude and it was a dark night).

Oleg states that there is quite a bit of variation between indivduals and that I should conduct experiments using a flashlight on myself and others. I think I actually suggest he do this a few years back... :)

If anyone has quality data (academic journal type) it would probably be a good idea to pass it on.

II./JG1_Wilcke
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
The effect from a searchlight doesn't last long enough in Il-2 and is closer to what one would expect if the eye was undilated (daytime). It is known that bombers were extremely vulnerable for up to a couple of minutes after they got hit by a search light (assuming that they were at low altitude and it was a dark night).

Oleg states that there is quite a bit of variation between indivduals and that I should conduct experiments using a flashlight on myself and others. I think I actually suggest he do this a few years back... :)

If anyone has quality data (academic journal type) it would probably be a good idea to pass it on.

In general barring any pathology the human eye takes about 20 minutes to adapt to the dark and reach optimum night vision after being exposed to a bright light.

I hate flying at night, the aircraft makes strange noises and as everyone knows there is no lift.:rolleyes:

WWTaco
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I hope then there is a option for my pilot to have sunglasses or tinted goggles so I can look towards the sun for a longer time.

Having the "sun bloom" and muzzle flash blindness is all cool, but then it opens up a whole new debate on other things that pilots used to combat these things that we cannot.

What's next snow blindness?

@Wilcke = I still haven't found out where all those noises come from. :P

Avimimus
01-31-2008, 03:45 PM
A goggle effect would be a nice touch (as would the ability to remove your oxygen mask).

Snow blindness would also be a good idea to model now that you mention it. On bright days, depending on altitude and angle, it would be easier to see the sky than some parts of the ground. In addition the bright ambient environment should cause the pupil to contract and thus make it easier to look into the sun.

More generally, I wonder if AI will be able to see camouflage?

KG26_Alpha
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
As already mentioned the map designer can capitulate these effects using time of day, map & weather in IL2 1946.

As for bringing it into the "pit" goggles etc the 2 dimensional view a monitor produces is already a vast restriction in the "pit".

Use the cpu cycles for something else me thinks :)

Avimimus
01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Thats actually true, you're right one of the things I noticed early and loved about Il-2 was its modeling of "snow blindness". Blessed Russians actually understand continental winter climates...

The goggles might be a neat feature though, like a reticle dimmer that actually works. FOV may already be restricted by the monitor but this fact would exist both with or without goggles. The goggles would simply give the pilot another configuration feature to tweak, that would have realistic trade-offs and matter in combat (like gun convergence).