PDA

View Full Version : a/c flite models

denbf109
01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
all of the flyable a/c are stiff legged on landing; no matter how soft you land them. is this to save computer memory, speed, etc.? again they all look hyper to me. there is no mass in the a/c(all types). another thing that bugs me is that a high speed pass right down on the deck is unrealistic. a small increase in up elevator produces an instant drop in altitude(enough to stuff you in the dirt). the effects of coefficient of lift, a/c mass, a/c velocity, relative wind, angle of attack of wing chord are not in harmony. you can see this easily if you play your playback @ 1/4 speed. instant high speed stall? NOT.

SlipBall
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't have any of these problem's. Have you been flying for awhile?

GF_Mastiff
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
sounds like your coming in to fast.

Bearcat
01-23-2008, 04:10 AM
Practice.... not to be flip... but practice.... it will help and the learning curve is steeper than you might think.

ddmd80
01-24-2008, 05:23 AM
If you keep a close eye on your airspeed ( When on final you you should be at 100 mph or less but greater than 90 mph) you should be able to grease'em in every time. Works great flying Spits, P-38, P-39, F4U, F6F, Etc. Airspeed control is the key along with lots of practice

Good Landings!

BSS_Sniper
01-24-2008, 09:07 AM
The balloon bounce for landings happens way too often and is unrealistic to me. It's a rare thing to ever get a halfway decent landing in here. I think its way off.

msalama
01-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I think its way off.

Can't agree w/ this. The airspeed and attitude - and thus your sink rate - are the keys. Heck, I'll make some tutorial tracks some of these days if I have the time and you'll see...

robtek
01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
even in RL it is not that easy to do a really smooth landing with a cessna 150 or a pa28 if
you are not a regular flyer.
Those simulated warbirds dont have that easy handling like those planes.
and last but not least : feedback, flying by the seat of your pants, those slight indications when the airflow leaves the wings are missing.
those missing things can only be replaced by training, training and more training.

Bobb4
01-25-2008, 05:45 AM
I agree, practice is what you lack.
My guess is you are flaring and cutting throttle at the last minute to allow yourself to drop onto the strip.
A smooth landing requires forward momentum to be maintained and only once down do you cut throttle to the extent that it no longer providing enough speed for lift.
Try touch and goes to perfect this.
Come in land but continue down the runway and take off at the end.
This is how most real-life pilots get the hang of it and it has worked with me on the sim.
Lastly different planes have different landing speeds and characteristics. So just because you can land a 109 on a dime as smooth as water flowing over ice, does not mean you can land a heavy 190 as easy.

BSS_Sniper
01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
even in RL it is not that easy to do a really smooth landing with a cessna 150 or a pa28 if
you are not a regular flyer.
Those simulated warbirds dont have that easy handling like those planes.
and last but not least : feedback, flying by the seat of your pants, those slight indications when the airflow leaves the wings are missing.
those missing things can only be replaced by training, training and more training.

The thing is, I am a regular flier. I fly for hours a day in real life. It doesn't matter how slow you come in and how you flare and let it sink in slowly. The second your gear gently touches down, you BALLOON up in the air. It's off and is too touchy in here. Also, there should be a huge difference in landing on grass and concrete runways. Any landing other than a burn in should be nice and smooth on grass.

Robert
01-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Realistic or not. Broken or bad flying. No matter what the cause it's not going to be corrected. IL2 is done. ;)

BadAim
01-28-2008, 02:43 AM
The biggest complaints I hear from pilots of actual aircraft (when flying IL2) is the lack of tactile feedback and the feeling of the weight of the aircraft, the former is a long way off to resolution, lets hope the latter is better done in SOW. But I do aggree that practice is the best medicine.

Abbeville-Boy
01-28-2008, 10:58 AM
if you have a bounce it means that your flare off timing, altitude, is off a bit, practice will cure that

Therion_Prime
01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
The thing is, I am a regular flier. I fly for hours a day in real life. It doesn't matter how slow you come in and how you flare and let it sink in slowly. The second your gear gently touches down, you BALLOON up in the air. It's off and is too touchy in here. Also, there should be a huge difference in landing on grass and concrete runways. Any landing other than a burn in should be nice and smooth on grass.

I'd guess that modern aircraft have way better suspensions?

Bearcat
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey Sniper... just curious... is there another sim out that you think gets that aspect of the FMs better than this one? Whats your take on the FSX FMs.

Bobb4
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM

I stand under correction but I do not think Il2 models any difference between a grass strip, a concrete or metal one (carrier).

I find most landings are smooth, excepth those where the enemy has removed one or both of my wings lol

Rama
01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
@Sniper
I agree that IL2 FMs makes the plane difficult to land "as per the manual". If you respect the final speed and landing speed as written in the plane manual, then your vertical speed in IL2 is a bit to high, and you will bump on touch, except if you pull hard to round your trajectory at the right moment (which is quite hard to do in the sim... since it's hard to judge the precise hight above runway).
Now if you forget the real plane manual... since the runways are quite long, you can use higher final speed (around 20 Km/h) than the manual numbers, with a flatter slope (less than 5%)... in the sim in allows you to achieve a smooth landing without bumps most of the time (at the cost of longuer run before stopping... but it doesn't matter in the sim).

WWTaco
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Power controls pitch and Elevator controls airspeed.

hey where's the ground effect?

S!

ImMoreBetter
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
all of the flyable a/c are stiff legged on landing; no matter how soft you land them. is this to save computer memory, speed, etc.? again they all look hyper to me. there is no mass in the a/c(all types). another thing that bugs me is that a high speed pass right down on the deck is unrealistic. a small increase in up elevator produces an instant drop in altitude(enough to stuff you in the dirt). the effects of coefficient of lift, a/c mass, a/c velocity, relative wind, angle of attack of wing chord are not in harmony. you can see this easily if you play your playback @ 1/4 speed. instant high speed stall? NOT.

Bouncing did and does happen in real life, especially on carriers.

I have made perfect landings in this game, and I've made bouncy ones, but never have I disagreed with the outcome.

However, I have never hit the ground while flying low in the way you described.

The only time I've collided with the ground while flying low was due to the elevators being behind the fulcrum of the plane, pushing the tail downward instead of the nose upward. Exactly what should happen.

334th_Gazoo0
01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Power controls pitch and Elevator controls airspeed.

hey where's the ground effect?

S!

I agree Taco. Try a flatter, moderately faster approach, at about 1/4 throttle. Then use the throttle to control altitude. Don't cut throttle until you are on the ground.
This seems to make greasing in the landings possible. A proper full stall landing is very difficult to judge in this simulation or any other, due to the point of view and tactile limitations. I believe suspension effects may be modeled in SOW BOB. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OWQ55n8ig

All the Best
334th_Gazoo0

http://www.334theaglesquadron.com