PDA

View Full Version : Missing Something

z00b
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
This is an odd post, but ...

I really want to like this game. I love turn-based games (as well as some real-time, but to me Total War is the best real-time game around, with the turn-based overview). I've played every single game out there that tried to even touch on fantasy turn-based gameplay - Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, Disciples, Heroes of Might and Magic, Battle for Wesnoth, Fantasy General, the handheld tactics and advance wars games, on back through the last 20 years.

But for some reason I am missing something about this particular game, and am not enjoying it at all. The range of options in combat seems very limited, and I'm having a hard time varying my strategy because there doesn't seem to be much to vary.

If someone could expound on what they love and how they are enjoying the game, I'd be appreciative. Some folks seem to be having a lot of fun, and some subtleties must be completely flying over my head here.

Daystar
01-10-2008, 01:20 AM
The beauty of this game, I think, is its relative simplicty. Move and Atttack, Move and Attack, this is the game. The strategy isn't about the units, its about how they move. Move them to a good spot and attack well if you want to deal more damage. I love this game for its honesty too: (Barring the map editor issue) You have Orcs, who like blood, and Humans, who like God. They don't try to develop incredible new concepts that astound the imagination, they create a good solid concept that, if not some huge incredible idea, is understandable. Its not "That's a High Orc, which speciallizes in blood and is allied with clan Jimbob, that's a Night Orc, which specializes in Druidry and is allied with Clans Mary and Sue, except on tuesdays..." Its just "That's an orc. It likes to kill things."

Ogre
01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Look at this thread.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2079