PDA

View Full Version : unit size

Tyro
08-12-2011, 05:44 PM
I am having trouble getting used to the scale of the game, unless you get down to ground level you can hardly make out what unit is what.and if you change resolution it doesn't fill the screen and it actually doesn't help that much with the unit size.

Any suggestions to increase size of units or is this the way all theatre of war games are? am currently playing the original Theatre of war.

hedley
08-12-2011, 06:24 PM
If you haven't got the zoom altitude range set to your liking in the options maybe that could make a difference.
I use the pause <space> & click-select things to review their stats & identity. I think it gets easier as you play more, get used to units & find a zoom level/angle that you are comfortable with.

I've played a lot of hours of ToW 1 & it is definitely worth getting the hang of view controls.
Nothing like pinning the camera <return> to a tank turret in the heat of battle or watching a wave of enemy infantry mown down from the normal RTS view above.
The variety of events means setting a 'permanent' view frame is difficult. Experiment - the camera system isn't at all bad once you get used to making changes in height & angle etc.
ToW as a series, generally rewards perseverance.

& Off Topic
If you are new to ToW - Its also interesting to watch green troops do the wrong thing or disobey etc & as the campaign advances see troops performance really improve with the experience system.
If its a fresh install of the base game you should also install the JSH realism mod - makes it an entirely better game. This has a working mirror including the great Bulldogs campaign. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406449)

Kittle
01-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I almost let Tow2 Kursk let me be turned off by the series. I wanted to love it, I really did, but the lag on my computer was just horrid. Then, I got the original ToW on steam real cheap, played 34 hours in a week or so, it's awesome!!! The graphics are good, not like the later ones, but still good. There is a ton of units ranging from 1939 to 1945 with all the major German, British, American, French, Russian, and Polish AFVs, guns, and vehicles. I love it, wish it had the text hit locations like ToW2+3, but I can live with just the hit decals. It's an amazing game, enjoy!!!