PDA

View Full Version : ace combat assault horizon last trailer

olife
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
looks nice and good

http://youtu.be/-Xlg2rrP5jY

StiC
08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
It does look good, really good. I just hope it "feels" better than Hawx.

I've never played an Ace Combat title, can anyone comment on previous installments in the series?

StiC

RuffMonk
08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
StiC,

Ace Combat is HANDS DOWN the best flight combat game series out there when it comes to modern jet fighters!!! I got my flight combat wings on the Ace Combat series, dating all the way back to Air Combat (the first game of the series, before they changed it to Ace Combat) on the PS1. In fact, until BoP, the Ace Combat games were the ONLY flight combat games I would buy because they were so good!!! I've had them all with the exception of Ace Combat 3 and Ace Combat 6 (Xbox only) and each one was better than the last with one exception. In my opinion the best one so far was Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, which had a GREAT story line behind it, but the one that came after, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War (essentially a prequel to Unsung War) while still a great game, just didn't pull me in the way Unsung War did, story-wise anyway. Since the series has hit PS2, they have done a great job of adding a real since of purpose to the games with intriguing story lines and of course great game play and apparently Assault Horizon (which has been stated is not a true sequel, hence no numerical designation) has recruited a best selling author to pen the story for this upcoming iteration.

So basically, if you're a fan of flight combat, you can't go wrong with the Ace Combat series, so hurry up and get your copy as mine is already paid for, lol! Hope to see you in the skies StiC with many others who frequent this forum as well, lol!

Davedog74
08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x..mission complete

olife
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
hello!

totally agree with RuffMonk!!!!!complete exact comment!!
the general note for all the ace combat games i did go from 14/20 to 18/20 according the different ace combat games i did!!
hope we will play togheter cause for sure i will buy it!!
Stic,u can buy this game,u will be not disappointed!!

winny
08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Ace Combat is great, It's no BoP when it comes to realism, (Is this one set in Euraisa or whatever it's called?) but..

It still flys pretty well and is rewarding if you know what you're doing and can also be just an arcade shooter if you don't. The plane models are usually very good looking too.

I've never really seen the point of Modern Jet sims.. I like shooting stuff down with guns rather than from 30 miles away with a missile, Ace combat is a good halfway house. A bit silly, but still feels pretty good (it's all about feel with flight games). I hope they haven't gone too HAWX-y with it.

I'm looking forward to buying it tho.

RuffMonk
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
@ winny

I do know that one of the main focuses for this one will be close ranged kills! Now how they're going to do that, I don't have a clue, but I must say I am intrigued. As for the locales, I do believe I heard/read somewhere that this game will have some real world counterparts as far as locations, but don't quote me on that, lol!

flynlion
08-12-2011, 05:39 PM
square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x square,x..mission complete

I agree w Davedog, an air combat game should be more than just pretty visuals and mashing buttons. Ace Combat was waaay too arcady for my taste.

Robotic Pope
08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
0:21 LOL Just like that Top Gun game Trailer. What is with these Phoenix missiles acting like sidewinders. I know its not ment to be totaly realistic but come on. Phoenix were useless for anything less than 2 miles and used speed not manuverability to hit the target

StiC
08-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys.

After watching more vids I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I will check reviews, try the demo and rent it for a few days before I commit.

StiC

Buggins
08-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys.

After watching more vids I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I will check reviews, try the demo and rent it for a few days before I commit.

StiC

What demo? There isn't one and won't be one.

scottyvt4
08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
This looks quite tasty , ofc not a patch on BoP but looks great .......... think i my hire it first ........ then see :D

StiC
08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
What demo? There isn't one and won't be one.

Well I guess I won't get to try the demo then. Still doesn't change anything.

StiC

Robotic Pope
08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Also I heard rumurs that everybody who plays it gets motion sick after 10 minutes ???

alsevillajr
08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
It does look good, really good. I just hope it "feels" better than Hawx.

I've never played an Ace Combat title, can anyone comment on previous installments in the series?

StiC

Before BOP...I considered the Ace Combat series to the be best flight game out there...that was before I got wind of BOP of course. After having played Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Heroes of the Pacific...I enjoyed playing SWON admittedly, for many reasons, but both had one thing lacking...that was fight physics.

When you say "feels" do you mean flight physics??? As a "Modern" flight game, one thing that AC had over Hawx was that AC had a semblance of flight physics. I tried out Hawx and traded in this game for that one reason. And yes, AC may be a bit arcady...but story-line is immersive.

Story-line wise...AC4 and AC5 are the best IMO. It comes to this one mission in AC 5 where one of your wingmen by the name of Chopper is shot down and killed... and was presented in a way where I really felt it...admittedly, I actually shed a tear or two...I saw this being discussed in another forum as well...so I wasn't the only softie...ha ha...my point is, the story-line was right on...

So, I do look forward to playing the new AC game...I hope you will too

BTW...see my avatar...it's from AC

StiC
08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
When you say "feels" do you mean flight physics??? As a "Modern" flight game, one thing that AC had over Hawx was that AC had a semblance of flight physics.

That's exactly what I meant. The game had no sense of inertia, drag, thrust, etc. It felt like a first person shooter rather than an air combat game. I do enjoy a dumbed down flight game from time to time such as SWON and Crimson Skies, but these games were fun and I could overlook the lack of tangible flight mechanics, but I couldn't enjoy HAWX.

Thanks everyone

StiC

alsevillajr
08-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Before I discovered BOP...when playing AC...I took pleasure in shooting down enemy planes with guns only.. only after stalking them in a brief dogfight.

The developers of AC were keen enough to incorporate adequate flight physics in the game to allow for some cool dogfighting and planes were appropriately disadvantaged or advantaged depending on their classification...one thing that was way off that was definitely not to spec was on the A-10...if you accelerated long enough you will eventually reach or pass Mach and if I'm not mistaken...the only aircraft where you you could see the compass move on the instrument panel

Robotic Pope
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
....and planes were appropriately disadvantaged or advantaged depending on their classification... But then they went and broke the multiplayer game with the DLC Idolmaster planes. AC6 = Best example of how not to do DLC.

one thing that was way off that was definitely not to spec was on the A-10...if you accelerated long enough you will eventually reach or pass Mach and if I'm not mistaken... All the planes are speeded up massively in Ace combat games and given the acceleration of rockets. lol the whole AC6 game was definitely not to spec ;)

This didn't stop AC6 being my second (Forza 2 being 1st) most played game in 2008 and 2009 until BoP was released, since then I have hardly touched it (or forza 3) because of BoP.

alsevillajr
08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
;-)Hi Rob...I know...I know...I may have overstated the use of the word "spec"...I should have said in relation to the other planes in the game...pointing to the fact that the A-10 is a sub-sonic aircraft...alright partner;-)

BTW...you're an xboxer aren't you???

I never got to play AC6

Rambo Rich 360
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but...

I had the last Ace Combat and played about an hour and a 1/2 into the game, played it a few times online and I gotta say its pretty arcady (is that a word?).

It sorta throws all realism out the window. I mean, when you got a jet that can carry 100+ missiles, etc. it sorta turned me off.

Didn't care for the flight characteristics either. Was sorta like playing BOP on arcade but even more unrealistic.

The graphics are pretty good though, gotta give it that, but I couldn't take it anymore and actually traded the game in.

I really, really tried to get into it, but it just didn't happen.

I know a lot of people like the game, but to be honest, i'd rather play Over-G than Ace Combat.

alsevillajr
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Rambo...don't hate you man:-D...even though I like the series...never did get to Play AC6...that was pretty crappy that it did not market to PS3...and you might even say... I didn't miss much in your opinion...Well it is arcady (new word):rolleyes:...after playing BOP, it does change your perspective on flight games...I feel your pain man

Robotic Pope
08-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I know a lot of people like the game, but to be honest, i'd rather play Over-G than Ace Combat.

+1. At the time I really enjoyed AC6 and played the multiplayer to death. But after BoP I now enjoy the flying in OverG more than AC6.

;-)Hi Rob...I know...I know...I may have overstated the use of the word "spec"...I should have said in relation to the other planes in the game...pointing to the fact that the A-10 is a sub-sonic aircraft...alright partner;-)

BTW...you're an xboxer aren't you???

I never got to play AC6

Yes xbox. I remember the anger on a certain Ace combat forum when it was anounced there would be no PS3 AC6, wow it was rough.

hurricane
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey Rambo...don't hate you man:-D...even though I like the series...never did get to Play AC6...that was pretty crappy that it did not market to PS3...and you might even say... I didn't miss much in your opinion...Well it is arcady (new word):rolleyes:...after playing BOP, it does change your perspective on flight games...I feel your pain man

arcady or arcadey is not in a dictionary that i can find.so here is my definition.a game that that makes no real effort to simulate what its like to fly ,drive,shoot, with any realism.or a game where you are at a automatic serious disadvantage because of older age and lack of practice

alsevillajr
08-18-2011, 01:23 AM
arcady or arcadey is not in a dictionary that i can find.so here is my definition.a game that that makes no real effort to simulate what its like to fly ,drive,shoot, with any realism.or a game where you are at a automatic serious disadvantage because of older age and lack of practice

Are you of older age or the later:) As for me I'm both....ha ha ha

RuffMonk
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Ace Combat, even from the beginning has always been a flight combat game, NOT a flight sim! Those are two very different types of games! Now having said that, even though the AC series has more of an arcade flare to it, doesn't mean it's a bad game! Yeah, the planes will have 100+ missiles and yes some of the missiles will not work according to their real life counterparts, but IMO it's plain silly to say the game is bad just because of that, lol! If you're looking for a fun game with great gameplay, fantastic visuals and a good story line behind it to drive the action, then you can't go wrong with Ace Combat!!! There will always be some fans of flight games who won't like the series, but I honestly believe that those people would likely be in the minority! I'm a huge fan of the series, so I may be a little biased in my assessment, but up until BoP, there wasn't any flight game out there that I though could top Ace Combat and I still hold that opinion at least when it comes to modern jet fighter games! Just my $0.02 anyways, lmao!

olife
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Ace Combat, even from the beginning has always been a flight combat game, NOT a flight sim! Those are two very different types of games! Now having said that, even though the AC series has more of an arcade flare to it, doesn't mean it's a bad game! Yeah, the planes will have 100+ missiles and yes some of the missiles will not work according to their real life counterparts, but IMO it's plain silly to say the game is bad just because of that, lol! If you're looking for a fun game with great gameplay, fantastic visuals and a good story line behind it to drive the action, then you can't go wrong with Ace Combat!!! There will always be some fans of flight games who won't like the series, but I honestly believe that those people would likely be in the minority! I'm a huge fan of the series, so I may be a little biased in my assessment, but up until BoP, there wasn't any flight game out there that I though could top Ace Combat and I still hold that opinion at least when it comes to modern jet fighter games! Just my $0.02 anyways, lmao!

very well said RuffMonk,ace combat is a flight combat game not a sim game.
but the story,the graphs and the atmosphere of this game are so nice!!!
i like to play sim in bop (and realistic)but even if ace combat is an arcade game,it is the only game who give me the same sensations of fun that bop sim because of it is nice and have a very very good atmosphere.(i even say that the solo campain of ace combat give me really a better sensation of immersion that the solo campain of bop.)
this is just my opinion.

sincerely
olife

alsevillajr
08-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with Monk, my sentiments exactly...they are apples and oranges. and if you want to talk about story-line, BOP is a history lesson and AC, well it is fantasy...and so far, I believe they've done a pretty good job...wish I had played AC6!!!

Robotic Pope
08-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Al I see your picture and it reminds me, Ace Combat games allways have the old Tomcat even though only Iran flys them now, because its such a well loved plane with still many fans. So I'm always wondering why they don't create a game version of the never built Super Tomcat 21 as a semi fictional plane. Think F14E Strike Tomcat. :cool:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/f14/st21-1.gif

alsevillajr
08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Al I see your picture and it reminds me, Ace Combat games allways have the old Tomcat even though only Iran flys them now, because its such a well loved plane with still many fans. So I'm always wondering why they don't create a game version of the never built Super Tomcat 21 as a semi fictional plane. Think F14E Strike Tomcat. :cool:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/f14/st21-1.gif

That bird is a is work of art...I hope they still have this for the new AC game...just to even sit and stare at it for a while...I just wikied the Super Tomcat 21...didn't even know it was conceptualized...would have been pretty cool...I have a small collection of WWII and Modern aircraft and some ground units...the F-14's are my jewels

Robotic Pope
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, Its a crime that the Super Hornet was chosen for the US navy instead of this. Its capabilities would have blitz that of the Super Hornet abomination. The F14 21's development would have been cheaper than the Super Hornet aswell.

hurricane
08-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Are you of older age or the later:) As for me I'm both....ha ha ha

I use both as an excuse .whichever is most conveniant at the time.;-)

RuffMonk
08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Found this a little while ago revealing some details on Assault Horizon's multiplayer mode.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1190667p1.html

juicyxeno
08-29-2011, 04:56 AM
You guys might want to consider "Over G Fighters" for the Xbox 360 if you are interested in modern air combat.

The game is much more realistic than Ace Combat, and was developed using "LOMAC" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_On:_Modern_Air_Combat) as a starting point.

If you can get past the silly Japanese rock music and the cheesy dialogue, this game is amazing.

bobbysocks
08-29-2011, 06:36 AM
i think you will find a lot of the gents here have played most of the games ever offered. unlike me they have been around in the gaming arena for a long time.

juicyxeno
08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Ah good to know :)

I just didn't enjoy AC that much, and while Over G did get fairly poor reviews, I thought it was the superior game of the two. I'm considering buying a PS2 just to play all the other flight "sim" games by Taito. I just wasn't sure that people would know about it, as it really isn't a popular game.

trk29
09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
The demo is up on the USA psn. And all I can say is the ground looks horrible and why can't the plane roll?

Buggins
09-14-2011, 01:14 PM
The demo is up on the USA psn. And all I can say is the ground looks horrible and why can't the plane roll?

Because you didn't bother to go into settings and change controls to 'original'.

Gilly
09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Because you didn't bother to go into settings and change controls to 'original'.

Did you 'bother' or just stumble on this? If it's not obvious to do so most people would be unlikely to look for it seeing as it's a demo. I'd also be slightly more polite when replying to a Mod!

U2RATTLEHUM
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I agree w Davedog, an air combat game should be more than just pretty visuals and mashing buttons. Ace Combat was waaay too arcady for my taste.

Like I would tell most of my friends" The problem why you don't like this is because you have TASTE.

FOZ_1983
09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Just downloaded the demo.

Verdict - SHOCKING

Graphics are shoddy, well below par and worse than the last ace combat title. And the dogfighting seems really really poor,just not right. It seemsit just wants you to get close enough to enable that stupid chase game all the time which soon gets repetetive.

The combat just seems to start straigh away which was a shame, because in the last one i enjoyed watching you line up on the runway (in your chosen craft) and take off with some sort of intro.

This game just generally seems really bad and far fetched.

I had hoped this game would be something to tie me over and a little bit enjoyablebut sadly it fails on all fronts.

A cack game.

trk29
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM

I did bother. I saw nothing labeled as "roll" so I did look around in the settings menu, thank you very much. Do I have to be a die hard fan of the series to know that with original, the layout would have roll? Maybe instead of original it should say "advanced" or "experienced". Wouldn't you agree?

I've played past games and they were better imo, and all I can say is they should have left this on the 360.

How about I go ahead and do what I should have done and move this to other topics, since it has no place on this forum.

StiC
09-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I finished the fighter demo. I gave up on the helicopter demo. Unless they do something with the controls or support flightsticks in the final product I can't even think about purchasing Assault Horizon.

StiC

mavrickandgoose
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey stic I thought I was the only one that remembered air combat for ps1 lol it was the first ps1 game I ever got!! And I have played and liked all the ace combats are they the most realistic? No are they fun as hell? Yes

mavrickandgoose
09-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh and Dave I believe it would be x-circle since circle was missiles and square was guns lol

flynlion
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Just downloaded the demo.

Verdict - SHOCKING

I wouldn't call it "shocking", just not very good. At least no one is claiming that it's some kind of "simulator" LoL. I guess it's about what I expected. I might try renting it sometime if I get really bored :rolleyes: