PDA

View Full Version : Coming from E5 to E6: why so bloody hard!?!

Plisken
08-10-2011, 06:15 AM
I've played brigade E5 extensively and loved the shit out of it, even as unfinished and unpolished as it was, the combat was fantastic, and the variety of weapons amazing (even more so with immortal badass).

However some friends who kept raving about 7.62/E6 and the blue sun mod convinced me to finally get it. And since the BSM is regarded as practically essential I got it without even trying vanilla first.

So into my first game of E6, and it's immediately noticeable the game is far more polished than it's predecessor. For once I'm actually caring about what is happening in missions thanks to legible dialogues. However this facade of superiority got torn down in my first few firefights.

Holy crap, why is this game so frustratingly hard?! E5 was hard, even infuriatingly so at times, but I didn't find myself screaming out "BS!" so often as I do here. Changing positions takes ages (and I was only carrying a carbine and a pistol, so no I wasn't heavy), especially to prone, and even when I have a weapon at the ready, a bloody snapshot takes forever, so I find myself having to rely on hip shooting way more than I should.

Please tell me I am doing something wrong, because atm I'm finding E5's combat a lot more enjoyable.

Kuujis
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Erm... one wild guess: you didn't notice the time slow down? It happens during fire fights and is customizable somewhere in the menus, near the pause settings IIRC.

Badbru
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Also comming from Brigade E5 to 7.62mmHighCalibre I didn't really notice any game mechanic changes that were harder or slower unless time decelleration was on, which it was on my very first fight so I turned it off in the settings page. Vanilla 7.62 is a little harder than E5 though in my opinion for two reasons. First the enemies in E5 generally appeared in one spot only and so generally came at you from one direction. In E6 some appear in just about each and every entry point so come at you from multiple directions. The best solution is to expand your team from one to 2,3 or even 4 asap, and don't all look in the same direction.

The other thing that made vanilla 7.62mm harder than E5 was the generally poorer mission balence, and initial setups. Missions were either so easy you could just about do them without firing a shot or succeed with pistols only, or, you started the fight 30 paces from 15 plus enemies and got shocked out for the first 2 to 3 seconds and redlined your adrenaline, that by the time you could move nades were comming your way and half the enemy were prone and aiming at you. (Convoy mission I'm looking at you) This Convoy mission in vanilla 7.62 was as far as I got in any play through.

BSM though has changed alot of that. The added missions are better balenced and your team gains more experience faster. The code extraction to switch allies to not turn hostile if they run into your line of fire and get hit, or run to where you just threw a nade and get hit makes the few hard missions much easier, so on the whole I can't agree with you. 7.62 with BSM added is no harder than E5 with Immortal Badass (except where Badass took away your choices).

Plisken
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Well it wasn't time deceleration (that was the first thing i turned off) but I'm finding it much more enjoyable now, however I'm still a bit annoyed at how often I have to use hip shooting in CQB (in E5 a snapshot from an already shouldered/readied weapon was ideal for urban and room clearing, unless you were well and truly point blank with someone, or hadn't had your weapon readied) and how long it takes to get into a prone position (help help people are shooting at me, i'll just take my sweet time getting on the ground)

oh well

safoolfool
08-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of little timing etc. differences. If you keep at it though you'll acclimate and stop noticing. I think I've only ever used prone in 7.62 a handful of times. I find that in combat I stay in fast crouch almost all the time. Only exceptions are if I have to sprint away (somebody spawns or sneaks up on me) or if I know enemies are going to spawn in from one direction at a good distance, and I have time to set up an ambush, as is the case in some missions. Then I'll go prone.