PDA

View Full Version : Will I enjoy DCS A-10?

Anvilfolk
08-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I've been wondering whether to get DCS A-10 for awhile now. I was recently put off by the fact that apparently it has Starforce DRM, and that you have to deactivate the games manually to install it on another computer or something like that. This means that I can probably hold off on buying it by impulse ;)

Either way, I'm trying to figure out whether I'd enjoy it. I'm a stickler for realism, and DCS seems to have plenty of it. However, I really like situations where I feel I have an impact. I enjoy offline dynamic campaigns (which it doesn't have) so what you do makes a difference in the world, or online where you get to interact with a bunch of people - but I think mostly I enjoy online missions and interacting with other people. Flying formation and all that, although I never have enough time to join a squadron.

Given this, can anyone help me out figure out whether I'd enjoy the game? I'm having a good enough time with '46 and CoD, and the WWII setting is really my thing, but I might enjoy the realism of DCS A-10. I'm not too convinced by the static missions (even if they have triggers) or by the apparent lack of multiplayer options/servers/missions/cooperation/etc.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance:)

DayGlow
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
This isn't the Starforce of old, no driver install or anything. Haven't noticed any intrusiveness from the drm at all. There is a Steam version, so you can use it with any Steam account if you are concerned with multiple installs.

Can't speak on the campaign as I'm still learning to fly, but it is the most complex sim I've ever played. I'd say the sim is more about the process of flying and using the systems than the missions itself.

I agree that a proper dynamic campaign would be the icing on the cake, but it just isn't possible. The F4 DC still doesn't work properly after 15 years of official and unofficial development, so it's. Lofty goal to set.

SiThSpAwN
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
For dogfighting nothing beats a good WWII game, that said, I love DSC A-10, the realism, how well the game is, and just everything about it. If you love flight sims, you will love that game.

Wolf_Rider
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
The A10-C (DCS series) is a brilliant piece of work, tactics play a very important part

von Pilsner
08-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Given this, can anyone help me out figure out whether I'd enjoy the game? I'm having a good enough time with '46 and CoD, and the WWII setting is really my thing, but I might enjoy the realism of DCS A-10. I'm not too convinced by the static missions (even if they have triggers) or by the apparent lack of multiplayer options/servers/missions/cooperation/etc.

I am curious too, I have been playing DCS Black Shark and Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2 lately (same devs I believe) and enjoy both of those (except when I shred my own rotors in Black Shark ;)) so I suspect it is quite good.

I've been holding off purchasing DCS A-10 until I master the A-10 in FC2, but I suspect FC2 is still their main online title (since it has online compatibility with DCS Black Shark). Hopefully someone who plays it a lot (Doc UK, don't you play A-10?) will shed some light on the game.

Anvilfolk
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all the replies!

In particular I am looking for information regarding the multiplayer component. Any 24/7 servers? Dynamic missions? Coop?

And if Flaming Cliffs 2 is the main online thing, can we expect A-10 to be plugged into that soon? What would I need to get FC2 running? How does it compare to A-10?

Thanks in advance for any info! :) I appreciate it!

von Pilsner
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
And if Flaming Cliffs 2 is the main online thing, can we expect A-10 to be plugged into that soon? What would I need to get FC2 running? How does it compare to A-10?

I believe there is to be an A-10 compatibility patch planned for the future (to plug it into the same virtual environment), but I don't remember where I read it... ;)

FC2 is more of a survey sim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_flight_simulator#Survey) and DCS A-10 is a study sim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_flight_simulator#Study) (for all that implies), so expect more realism and detail in A-10 (more buttons to push on startup, better cockpits, everything clickable, etc...)

I got the Lock On platinum version at Target for $20.00, it has the original Lock on and Flaming Cliffs 2 (original is required to install FC2), you can probably find it available online (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Lock+On+Platinum+pc+game&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf) for the same price as well.

The official site has lots of info on both FC2 ("http://lockon.co.uk/flaming_cliffs_2/) and DCS A-10 ("http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog/), but I'd like to hear from people who have played both... :)

ruggbutt
08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
FC2's A-10 doesn't compare in the slightest to the "real" (DCS) A-10. I've been flying DCS A-10C since the first day the beta was released and its a work intensive cockpit experience. It's fun as hell too. Great framerates and mucho eye candy.

Anvilfolk
08-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Cool, thanks for all the info! Appreciate it a bunch! I was indeed surprised by the graphics, although I won't hold any hope of running it with any eyecandy on this machine.

I realise how good the simulation must be, but at this point I don't think that is enough for me given my lack of time and the alternatives that HAVE multiplayer. I need some sense of cooperation, or progression - for instance, I tried out FSX for awhile, but just taking off and landing wasn't really my type of thing. I personally do not take any enjoyment out of hour-long flights on autopilot or anything like that. I did try one of passenger addons where you have a company and fly people around, and you can get better planes as your pilot becomes better, etc etc, and that I definitely found more enjoyable. But I cannot see myself playing same or similar missions the entire time without interacting with someone else. I tried that with Silent Hunter IV at some point, and if I had more time I'd do it, but multiplayer takes precedence :)

Anyone else care to comment on the multiplayer side of it?

Also, how long does one flight take, in general?

Continuing thanks for all contributions! :)

DayGlow
08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Thank you for all the replies!

In particular I am looking for information regarding the multiplayer component. Any 24/7 servers? Dynamic missions? Coop?

Thanks in advance for any info! :) I appreciate it!

It's unclear. In the past the devs have said BS and A-10 will plug in together, but FC2 won't with A-10, but at the same time BS and FC2 work together, so it's anyone's guess what will work together in the end.

ruggbutt
08-06-2011, 01:12 AM
It's unclear. In the past the devs have said BS and A-10 will plug in together, but FC2 won't with A-10, but at the same time BS and FC2 work together, so it's anyone's guess what will work together in the end.
There's a chance that they'll patch or create something that might be called FC3 and make it DCS A10C compatible. It will probably be a paid addon like FC2 was. They're discussing it anyways.

Anyone else care to comment on the multiplayer side of it?

Also, how long does one flight take, in general?
MP is a blast, and they fixed some of the problems that were plaguing it. The stuff was minor but seems to work now. You can aerial refuel in m/p as well. As for flight times, that depends on who created the mission. We have one we run on our server that you can fly till your tanks are empty but you're in battle most of the time. Last time I checked once you were airborne it was a 15 minute flight to the first set of targets. JTAC randomly assigns targets and they spawn in depending on triggers so you'll never play the mission the same twice. And since the targets are mostly moving you can find them anywhere from when they spawn in to where their final destination is. Last time I played that mission I was airborne for an hour and a half.

skouras
08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
ruggbutt good to see you here

also guys take a look at the new modeling of the CBU-97/105 ---WIP---

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=78046

Anvilfolk
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks ruggbutt, that sounds real interesting! If that's the case, I'll definitely get it at some point. A bit too tight on money right now. I guess I'll just hope it's on sale by X-mas :)

Thanks again! :D

ruggbutt
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
ruggbutt good to see you here

also guys take a look at the new modeling of the CBU-97/105 ---WIP---

Thanks! Good to see they're finally modeling the CBU like they should. Hopefully they'll fix the skeets on the 87/103.

skouras
08-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Hopefully ;)