PDA

View Full Version : Hey why does this happen? Just wondering

-Ox-
12-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Like when your flying or whatever, and your shot up and smoking. Your engine just catches on fire.. Why does this happen?

SlipBall
12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Sometime's a fluid leak will catch on fire. It's possible to go into a dive, and put the fire out

Zorin
12-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Like when your flying or whatever, and your shot up and smoking. Your engine just catches on fire.. Why does this happen?

When your plane is smoking there is already a fire inside the fuselage which will grow and at some point burst through the hull.

Can be caused by the ammunition that hit your plane and set fuel on fire or leaked fluids will be ignited by the heat of the engine or other parts.

strewth
12-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Actually the engine has several parts (well lots actually) ranging usually from very warm to extremely hot. The warm areas are usually around the air intake areas and the hottest parts are usually where the exhausts leave the engine block. It depends on what fluid and how combustible it is as to the events that unfold and at what rate. Coolant for example will generally just run out unless splashing onto something like the exhaust manifolds and then it will steam. Oil will generally smoke a hell of alot on the hotter parts of the engine and sometimes even when on the exhaust manifold. But once oil gets on a manifold of an engine that has just been screaming its guts out, then there is a very high chance of fire. Then it also depends on air (oxygen) quantity. Too much or too little and no fire. That is one of the reasons why going into a dive will assist in sometimes putting out a fire. That and the fact that it is blowing the flame out. Actually blowing the flame out is the result of supplying too much air for the fuel in a matter of speaking. Alot of aircraft would get a hit in the block and oil would splash about everywhere and depending where the hole is and how big as to how hot of a surface the oil landed on and the resultant smoke or fire. Now fuel is a different kettle of fish as it has a lower flash point and if a fuel line is hit, the chances of fire are alot greater from hot surfaces as well as the fact that it takes a heck of alot more air velocity in a dive to put the fire out if at all. Sometimes it will just help the fire get worse. fuel is pumped into the carburetter at a reasonable pressure, so a leak is likely to spray all over the place.

Now the next time you get coocked in your cockpit, you may have some idea as to the contributing factors.

Happy flying.

-Ox-
12-31-2007, 10:28 PM
actually im not a noob..i was just always wondering how the engine caught on fire from just smoke

im actually a very experienced il2 pilot that goes by the name Ox in hyperlobby

you catch me in SKies of Valor downing a couple of 109's in a P-40M

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm no physics major but from what I hear, where there's smoke there's fire, lol.

Robert
01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm no physics major but from what I hear, where there's smoke there's fire, lol.

That's usually the way it works when I cook. LOL And I don't even use glycol.

335th_GRAthos
01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Good question to ask OX.

Now that you got the answer on this, since you seem to be a person interested in the details of the game, I have a better one for you:

OK, your engine or wing is on fire.

Do you know that when you initiate a steep dive with high speed you can set the fire out?
Ever wondered why?

Avimimus
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM

:D

Krt_Bong
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
If you ever go to an Airshow and see an aerobatic display, when smoke is used it is usually injected from a separate tank directly into the exhaust, resulting in a nice thick blue-white smoke because it is hot and the smoke burns, in WWII Fighters a shot to the coolant tank could cause loss of glycol(coolant) which might caise a similar condition and the result would be engine overheat, and possibly fire especially if oil and fuel lines were severed and sprayed on hot manifolds and electrical connections.

stansdds
01-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Smoke from a damaged engine is usually the result of an oil leak. Get enough oil leaking and burning and you can set the rubber fuel lines, ignition wires, and gaskets on fire. Once a fuel line is ignited, you have a really hot and big fire. At the time, engines, engine mounts, and wings are made of all sorts of materials. Steel, copper, brass and aluminum don't burn easily, but will melt. Magnesium, on the other hand, will burn with a white-hot intensity. Wing spars were sometimes made with magnesium, some engine parts such as oil sumps were also magnesium. Wing sections were often covered with canvas, which will also burn nicely.

Zorin
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Good question to ask OX.

Now that you got the answer on this, since you seem to be a person interested in the details of the game, I have a better one for you:

OK, your engine or wing is on fire.

Do you know that when you initiate a steep dive with high speed you can set the fire out?
Ever wondered why?

Because you deprive the fire the oxygen. The high speed results in a depression in the hollow spaces of the wing (e. g. fuel tank) or the engine housing (e.g. oil tank). That way the fire dies and as soon as you level out or loose speed the spaces will fill themselves with air again which leads to a new ignition of the fire.