PDA

View Full Version : How are you supposed to play this online?

combiner
07-25-2011, 06:24 AM
The fog of war hides everything until your units die, while the opposing player kills everything. For example, my tanks never live for more than a few seconds because there is -always- an AT gun hiding in the fog of war; how the hell am I supposed to see that? Seriously, how do you play when your units are seemingly always exposed, but the opponent's remain hidden?

I think this game is really great from the skirmish missions I've played, and I don't like to compare it to Company of Heroes, but at least in Company of Heroes Multiplayer you can see what's attacking you unless it was a howitzer or artillery of some kind. Is there just something about multiplayer I'm just not getting?

Tigerium
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
The fog of war hides everything until your units die, while the opposing player kills everything. For example, my tanks never live for more than a few seconds because there is -always- an AT gun hiding in the fog of war; how the hell am I supposed to see that? Seriously, how do you play when your units are seemingly always exposed, but the opponent's remain hidden?

So how do you think soldiers were doing in real life :) ?
The best strategy is to not use the tanks unless it is REALLY necessary . Because anyways assault infantry can take out tanks so it wouldn't be a real problem if you would face a tank with just infantry .

And for the AT gun ... They're kind of useless against infantry when they're well hidden . Plus , you should make use of artillery often , defend the pieces with your infantry .

That's my strategy when I play online ;)

Inuki
07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
The game is very difficult =) I'd reccomend looking at some videos online of people playing.

combiner
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
So how do you think soldiers were doing in real life :) ?
The best strategy is to not use the tanks unless it is REALLY necessary . Because anyways assault infantry can take out tanks so it wouldn't be a real problem if you would face a tank with just infantry .

And for the AT gun ... They're kind of useless against infantry when they're well hidden . Plus , you should make use of artillery often , defend the pieces with your infantry .

That's my strategy when I play online ;)
But my assault infantry are usually shreded by a tank's machinegun before they can some AT rifles or launchers on them. And it isn't just AT guns that are seemingly always hidden, my infantry will be picked apart by infantry that's in fog of war, and I don't mean snipers, I mean just regular infantry. They appear for a secon when they fire, and then dissapear again.

It seems to be a one way road; It's perfectly okay for them to kill me, but not the other way around.

Tigerium
07-26-2011, 01:55 AM
But my assault infantry are usually shreded by a tank's machinegun before they can some AT rifles or launchers on them. And it isn't just AT guns that are seemingly always hidden, my infantry will be picked apart by infantry that's in fog of war, and I don't mean snipers, I mean just regular infantry. They appear for a secon when they fire, and then dissapear again.

It seems to be a one way road; It's perfectly okay for them to kill me, but not the other way around.

In that case , don't spawn any tanks . Spawn as soon as you can some regular infantry , artillery and something to well protect your artillery against motorized troops , let's say , a single AT gun should fit .

You should ambush your AT gun with your infantry in front , or close of it , preferably not in the same spot but close . Then place your Artillery behind your little defence line and start bombarding .

If you have allies , let them go to fight alone , they will locate AT guns , infantry and tanks for you , just clear the way with your artillery and when you feel that they're missing ressources , spawn your tanks and ambush them with again , infantry to protect your armors from enemy infantry .

Good luck .

mrminiling
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
You're painting a picture that you're an inexperience player.

If your vehicles are being knocked out by field guns, it is because you are being bested by ambush, or pushing into their LOS carelessly. If you know that they have anti-tank capabilities, such as a field gun, it is never good to push up armor unless you have an advantage; such as means (but not limit to) of being defilade from the enemy gun (read: to flank, to provide support as firing platform) or using concealment (i.e. fog of war) to use appropriate weapons to fire onto known AT position.

Being ambushed is the worse that can happen, and will happen. You can only react accordingly to pull out the best from the bad. But to minimize being ambushed is to minimize the chances of loss (element of surprise is a tough cookie) by using reconnaissance. Single scouts (any sort of infantry) sent out as a sentinel or recon will give priceless information about the enemies' position or attacking formation. Also bounding from cover to cover.

Anti-tank being fielded by infantry requires flanking and ambushing... go around, hide men in bushes, buildings. Running men up to attack a vehicle is not a strategy but a poor understanding of repelling armor.

A lot of things can be said to combat a defensive enemy or to defend, but it really is up to you as a tactician to formulate an appropriate means at the given scenario at hand.

As it has been said before, watch videos, I suggest commentaries (shoutcasts), on competitive play to understand ways to react and style of play.

combiner
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the help, and yes I am very new, I bought Assault Squad during the Steam sale
I think I'm just slipping on the learning curve, MoW is certainly different than CoH in the best ways, though I still think the range of the smaller AT guns is bit ridiculous