PDA

View Full Version : Questions about G-Load feature.

droz
07-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Is there a detailed readme that explains how this was implemented? Are there plans to perfect this system, and were historical values used and taken into account for maneuvering speed envelopes and such? Is the G-Load system also tied directly to the flight model of the aircraft?

Thanks for the info, as I'm not able to find details on how it's modeled into the game and with what data.

SaQSoN
07-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Have you ever considered reading the readme file for the add-on? Or, should I simply say "RTFM"?

droz
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
i looked in my root directory, and see no 4.10 readme

[URU]BlackFox
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Taken from the manual:

Structural G Limits

Before 4.10 patch all aircraft in IL2 have a single fixed Structural G limit of +13.5G. It only
really becomes an issue with aircraft with exceptionally light elevators such as the P-51. Pull
more than +13.5G and you loose your wings. The real life situation is a little more
complicated. Real aircraft are designed with an Ultimate load and In Service design load. Both
are for a defined configuration and weight.
In Service load is the typical G available to the pilot. As long as this the G is not exceeded then
no aircraft damage will occur. Exceed the In service G limit then damage of varying degrees
may occur like bent airframes etc. Exceed the Ultimate load then severe damage will occur
typically resulting in structural failure like wings coming off etc. Typically a safety factor of 1.5
is used. So fighter plane with a design In service G limit of say +8G will have an Ultimate load
of +12G. As external stores and or weight is increased above the design weight, both G limits
reduce accordingly. Reduce weight (by dropping bombs or burning fuel etc.) and your G limits
increase. Bomber and Transport aircraft have G limits much lower than fighters.
So if you abuse the limits you damage the aircraft. Once damaged then its structural integrity
is reduced so the ultimate load reduces as well. In other words keep bending the airframe and
you will eventually weaken it to the point that very little extra G is required to induce
structural failure. A bent airframe won’t perform as well either.
How does this work in game? You take your stock standard Fighter Mk 1 with default
armament +100% Fuel your limits are +8G/+12G. You add 2 x 500lbs bombs. Your limits now
reduce to 5G/8G. So prior to the target you need to be a little more careful with your plane.
Lets say pre target you pull + 6G, you have exceeded the “in service” limit, you will hear a
damage sound cue and suffer a slight aerodynamic penalty. In addition your G limits have now
reduced to say 5G/6G. Bust these again and further aerodynamic penalties and further
reductions will apply. You progress to the target and release your bombs. Since the weight is
reduced your limits will increase but since you already bent the airframe you won’t get back
your original limits. You might then get say +8G/+10G. As you can see if you keep abusing the
limits you will end with a very weakened airframe.
In the case of heavy bombers, G limits will prevent any real aerobatic maneuvers. You will still
be able to evade quite well but you wont be able to BFM with plane like the A-20 anymore.
Bombers will be just that: Bombers.

G Indications

When the speedbar is enabled an indication of proximity to the Service limit is provided. When
you get within 25% of the current Service limit a "G" will be displayed on the top of the
speedbar. As you get to within 10% of the current Service limit the "G" will begin to flash. The
process being reversed as you reduce the G. No G cueing is provided if Speed bar is
deselected.
If players use No Cockpit View than direct readout of G is provided. Number is white while G's
are above 0, when you get within 25% of the current Service limit number turns to red. Below
0G,number is black.

Wether this is correct or not, it's a whole different matter that I will not talk about, my knowledge on the matter is just not up to it.

droz
07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
thank you Blackfox for posting that. It's good information.