PDA

View Full Version : 'Free' view

Redroach
07-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm having issues with my external views. I know you can switch to external view, but, contrary to how it was in Il-2, you cannot really 'zoom', or better pan, out to get the bigger picture of things.
In Il-2, you could switch to external view and basically pan around to a quite large field of view, but in CoD, if I switch to external (F2), all I seem to be able to do is 'zoom' out, and by that, I mean a camera-optics-like zoom-out where you get a fisheye perspective quite early on. And now, if I am on an unknown airfield, I would like to do exactly the Il-2 thing, basically to view the airfield from a height of 100m or so, to properly locate the runway, buildings etc. in order to know where I have to taxi to.
I've seen videos where people seem to be able to zoom out without getting the fisheye perspective, so I am confident you can do it the Il-2 way. Could anyone provide me with some hints here? It'd be appreciated. :)

White Owl
07-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Right click + middle mouse button, then drag up or down. I think that's the default for zoom in external view... at least I can't imagine why I would've deliberately selected that.

Blackdog_kt
07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
In a bit more detail, the middle mouse button is only needed to override the mouse cursor and place the mouse in camera control mode. If you have the mouse cursor disabled by F10 you don't need to be holding down the middle button. For example, i use the cursor to click on things and read the tooltips on instruments so all my camera movement controls are preceded by holding the middle button.

Holding the right mouse button down is switching to zoom and strafe controls for the camera, while moving the mouse without holding it down is for the default pan control.

checkmysix
04-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Hi Chaps
A good tip for full 360 degree panning is to hit F2 for external view of your
AC then press F10 NOW hold down Middle wheel + Right Mouse button together which allows un padlocks view and lets you move freely around your AC.
Now Zoom in as close as possible to your Plane and follow the above instructions
BUT now make sure your AC is out of view,now you can Pan around Freely 360 degrees to look at for example Wingman,Squadron airial battles etc,this is great as a Movie Making Camera [make sure your plane is flying straight though]
Regards
Keith;)