PDA

View Full Version : Tempest max speed

ddmd80
12-29-2007, 09:28 AM
I have read that the Tempest was one of the fastest allied fighters of the war. I love the aircraft but can't seem to get it over 250 mph (straight and level) except in a dive. Any help would be great thanks.

IL-2 1946 4.08

jasonbirder
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
You're not mistaking True Airspeed and Indicated Airspeed are you?
At altitude there can be a significant difference between the two...
(Apologies if you already know that)

kristorf
12-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Hate to say it but from what I have read the Tempest is indeed greatly underspeed, it was a match for the 190D and any other Axis fighter, but I am pleased with what we have

jasonbirder
12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Don't forget the Air Speed indicator in the Tempest reeds in Knots not MPH (100 knots is about 115 Mph)

secretone
12-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, and the Tempest in this game is not very manoeverable either. Does anyone know if the real plane was such a dog?

TooCool
12-29-2007, 01:53 PM
From my experience on it (game, not real ;) ), the Tempest is a heavy plane, that needs soft handling... and, if handled "well" (mean keeping your speed up), it can black out you in no time. If you allow your plane to slow down, you're in deep trouble with it, that's certain ;)

My only problem in it is rear visibility which I find definitely bad (but, according to Closterman's "Great Show", it was 56cm wide, so I guess that the real one wasn't very good either ;) )

JG52Uther
12-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, and the Tempest in this game is not very manoeverable either. Does anyone know if the real plane was such a dog?
Read 'The Big Show' by Clostermann.The Tempest seemed to be a bit of a pig in real life.

Brain32
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Tempest is hard to manouver in game????? Comparing to what? Spit25?? :D
Are you guys for real? :D :D

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-29-2007, 04:40 PM

How do you guys expect the thing to handle? What planes to you fly often as it could explain why you think the Tempest is a dog.

S!

JG53Frankyboy
12-29-2007, 05:03 PM
il2compare is giving ~690km/h at 6000m for the ingame Tempest.

i had no proplem runing over 680km/h (speed over ground) level at 6000m on the crimea map.

CloCloZ
12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I started enjoying IL-2 1946 coming from a short experience in MS CFS3. In MS game the Tempest is probably "Uber": it turns like a Spitfire, shoots like a Me262, accelerates and runs like a greyhound and do that overheating quite moderately! :-D
Coming to IL-2 I had at first the feeling Tempest here was slow, sluggish, and even not particularly strong against enemy shots.
However, after a few months I start "feeling" the plane and it becomes ever and ever difficult to me to use another fighter, giving up to its guns and its speed.
And now I think that, some complaints apart, Tempest modelling in IL-2 is much more realistic (and much less arcade-like) than CFS3 Tempest FM.

Tempest V really WAS one of the fastest WWII fighters and is fast indeed even in game, although not as much as we could hope.
You can reach more than 600 kph (TAS) level speed at low heights (even at sea level, it seems! look at this http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=13998).
It IS fast, it just accelerates slowly in level flight (more than five tons loaded weight, you know ...).

The fact is that in game we have just a +9lbs/3700rpm model whereas the most common kind in action was the slightly better +11lbs/3700rpm (there were also +11lbs/3850rpm and even some rare +13lbs/3850rpm late-war Tempests such at least one of the planes flown by Pierre Clostermann).
So, there has been a lot of complaints about that, coming from Tempest fans, but unfortunately I don't think we'll have a +11lb in IL-2 4.09 final patch (hence we'll never have it, being 4.09 the last stated patch for IL-2).
I just hope we'll have it some years from now in BoB.
Of course a +13lbs/3850rpm would be a dream! (and not a totally improper request, IMHO, when considering the other rare birds included in IL-2 1946)

All in all, even the +9lbs Tempest we have in IL-2 is an enjoyable and powerful virtual fighter.
It has some weak points (above all, rear visibility when you fly with cockpit on and, yes, I still have some doubt about its Damage Model) but if you ALWAYS keep speed high (above 400 kph TAS, no less) and usually fly between 2000 and 5000 mt you'll find it has good handling and if you need to accelerate further and quickly you have just to dive (better if reducing prop pitch to about 70%-80% during the dive, thats reduces drag and rpm, so helping engine cooling too).
It's a typical BnZ machine and you can't fly it like a Zero or even a Spitfire, but in case of need it can turn fairly well against not too much nimble enemies (like FW190D), especially using flaps in Combat mode. Of course, speed drops when turning a lot (and using flaps) and a slow Tempest is a dead Tempest if there are enemies around!
In short, I fully agree with TooCool advices.

My main advices if you want to use the Tempest in IL-2:
- learn BnZ tactics (you can find many documents on the net)
- learn complex engine management (overheating control, use of cowl, use of supercharger, ...) and the use of prop pitch control
- and, above all, always remember to keep your speed high and enough altitude to be able to dive! One could say: "A fast Tempest is a deadly Tempest, a slow Tempest is a dead Tempest"!

But please keep in mind I'm quite a newbie, I'm still learning a lot at every new virtual flight! Or not-learning: the biggest mistake I still often do is to lose speed and altitude when flying the Tempest ... :oops:
I'm pretty sure you can find here and in other Forums a lot of good virtual Tempest pilots being able to give you more remarkable advices.

Here just some links to interesting threads I found in some Forums. Google-search with "IL-2 Tempest" and the like and you'll find many more.

http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=19

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/2801031114

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/2021058625/p/1

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/6131088673/p/1

Here an in-depth examination of IL-2 Tempest performances:
http://airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1970&highlight=tempest

And here some real world Tempest performance data:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/temptest.html

secretone
12-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Interesting links! Thanks for the information.

CloCloZ
01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
[...] better if reducing prop pitch to about 70%-80% during the dive, thats reduces drag and rpm, so helping engine cooling too [...]

Well, I have to contradict myself ... :roll:

I made some tests with the Tempest, to estimate possible speed gain achieved by reducing ppitch in dives and it seems to me that you have just a small or negligible gain, if any, by reducing at 80-90% and a sure speed loss at lower ppitch settings (75% and below, according to my findings).

So, in my opinion committing in lowering ppitch to gain a little more speed in dives (and raising it after the dive, of course!) is not worthwile: better employ your energy and attention in spatial awareness, manoeuvering and aiming!

It seems to me that there are around some myths about this issue, which would deserve some further testing (with other planes too).

I published test results on this dedicated Tempest and Hawker forum:
http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15737

Edited ( 02-01-2008 ):
I've made some further tests, with the aid of the nice Autopilot tool, and it seems that in fact there is a (small) speed gain (for any ppitch < 100%) if ppitch reduction happens during the dive (and not just before the dive starts). See the above link for the updates.

Therion_Prime
01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I tested the speeds of the fastest prop-planes in 4.08 a while ago @ 2000m.
Fastest was the Mustang III followed by the Tempest.
190D9, 109K, Mustang-D, P-47D and Ta-152C were a bit slower.

I suppose that at higher altirudes you'd get different results.

DKoor
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Are you guys for real? :D :D
Hey don't be so hard on those guys - it's inferior to LA-7 in turn, so logically it must be crappy machine.

Nevermind that it owns everything axis except D9 at lower alts especially. :lol:

Avimimus
01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't fly the Tempest often because it is too fast, too maneuverable and too easy to fly. If anything it is overmodelled in these respects. There, you've read it. ;)

Xiola
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey don't be so hard on those guys - it's inferior to LA-7 in turn, so logically it must be crappy machine.

Nevermind that it owns everything axis except D9 at lower alts especially. :lol:

So 'everything Axis' is the Bf109 down low, then? Sounds about right :D

I'll take you on in a Me262, He162 or Do335 with you in a Tempest ;)

Tempest is fantastic down low, not very good up high, the top speed and power falls off rapidly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/spit1425lbs.jpg

Brain32
01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll take you on in a Me262, He162 or Do335 with you in a Tempest ;)
! :D

mondo
01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Tempest is fantastic down low, not very good up high, the top speed and power falls off rapidly.

Only above 20,000ft though. It peaks at 17/18,000ft which is still very useful.

JG27_brook
01-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Are you guys for real? :D :Dlol

Xiola
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Seriously tho guys, the Tempest isnt what I would call an 'easy flier' when compared to, for example, the Me109F4, The La5 or the Spifire IX.

It feels very much like a Corsair to me, that big heavy nose which you have to 'haul' around in a turn. Also its not totally stable as a gun platform, the nose wobbles for me quite a bit, I presume because the engine is so heavy as with the Corsair.

However the 'instability' not as critical as with the corsair with 50 cals, because a couple of 20mm Hispano hits can damage an enemy good, whereas the Corsair needs more than a 'passing shot' with the 50's to get the enemy down.

IL2 in my opinon does a good job of modelling hte big heavy radial in the Corsair and the massive Sabre engine in the Tempest. You can really 'feel' the weight in the nose as you haul them around. They are certainly not as nice feeling as a very much lighter 109E/F/G2, SPitfire IX or La5FN for example. Its a bit like a Sports Car built for corners, compared to a Dragster with massive engine made for straight lines.

*Buzzsaw*
01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Salute

The Tempest we have in the game is the earliest production model of the aircraft, one which only operated in early 1944, during April and June, and which was replaced by more powerful models. It represents about 10% of the Tempests which flew. It is a far cry from the Tempests which flew in 1945.

To use a comparison, imagine if there was only one 190A in the game, and that was the 190A4.

Second, the handling of the Tempest is questionable. The combat reports I have read, from both Allied and German pilots, suggest it could easily outturn the 190D at its normal operating speeds. (see "JG26, TOP GUNS OF THE LUFTWAFFE" the last part of the book, for several quotes from German pilots who encountered the Tempest) The Tempest had a wingloading of 37 lbs per Sq/ft, compared with 48 lbs per Sq/ft for the 190D, even if you take into account the fact that the Tempest had a laminar flow aerofoil, the 23% better wingloading has to be a factor. Official RAF AIR FIGHTING DEVELOPMENT UNIT tests of the initial prototype Tempest versus the 109G2, showed it outturned the G2, and the prototype had less horsepower than the version we have.

JG52Uther
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Yet Clostermann in his book hints that the Tempest was pretty close to a deathtrap and scared the crap out of most pilots.

*Buzzsaw*
01-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Yet Clostermann in his book hints that the Tempest was pretty close to a deathtrap and scared the crap out of most pilots.

Never heard that one. Maybe you could provide a quote? All the Tempest pilots I have read or talked to said it was a superb plane. If Clostermann thought the Tempest was a deathtrap, he must have had a deathwish, because he sure spent a lot of time in one shooting down Germans.

"Reaching Newchurch airfield at 480 mph I held "RB" down to 20 ft from the runway and then pulled her up to a 60 ° climb holding it as the speed dropped slowly off and the altimeter needle spun round the dial as if it were mad. At 7000 ft the speed was dropping below 180 mph and I rolled the Tempest lazily inverted, then allowed the nose to drop until the horizon, at first above my head, disappeared below (or rather above) the now inverted nose, the fields and woods steadied into the centre of the windscreen and then whirled around as I put the stick hard over and rolled around the vertical dive. Steadying again I pulled out over the tree tops at 500 mph, throttled back and pulled hard over towards the airfield in an over-the-vertical climbing turn, lowering the wheels and flaps in a roll as the speed dropped. What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"

quote from Roland Beaumont, the RAF Squadron Leader who had the most experience with the Tempest of any pilot.

RAF Tempest Squadrons from January 1945 of the war were given carte blanche to go anywhere, engage anyone, at whatever odds, because they were confident of the aircraft's ability to deal with any situation. Other RAF pilots were envious of the complete freehand the Tempest pilot's got.

The combat record of the Tempest was exceptional, it had a very large positive in the kill/death ratio, even when claims are compared to German records. That includes encounters with Doras.

Zorin
01-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Pierre Clostermann (Free French) wrote of the Tempest:

Nothing was left undone to give the Tempest a maximum performance at medium and low altitudes. Special auxiliary tanks were designed even, with perspex connecting pipes, to fit under the wings. Quite extraordinary attention was paid to the rivetting, the joints and the surface polish. The result was a superb combat machine.

It had a thoroughbred look and, in spite of the big radiator which gave it an angry and wilful appearance, it was astonishingly slender. It was very heavy, all of seven tons. Thanks to its 2,400 h.p. engine it had a considerable margin of excess power and its acceleration was phenomenal. It was pretty tricky to fly, but its performance more than made up for it: at 3,000 feet, at economical cruising on one third power (950 h.p.) with two 45-gallon auxiliary tanks, 310 m.p.h. on the clock, i.e. a true air speed of 320 m.p.h.; at fast cruising speed, at half power (1,425 h.p.) without auxiliary tanks, 350 m.p.h. on the clock, i.e. a true air speed of nearly 400 m.p.h.; Maximum speed straight and level with + 13 boost and 3,850 revs.: 430 m.p.h. on the clock, i.e. a true airspeed of 440 m.p.h.

In emergencies you could over-boost it up to nearly 3,000 h.p. and 4,000 revs., and the speed went up to 460 m.p.h. In a dive the Tempest was the only aircraft to reach, without interfering with its handling qualities to any marked extent, subsonic speeds, i.e. 550-600 m.p.h.

Tempest V. Messerschmitts: I kept on reminding my pilots to keep their speed above 300 m.p.h., for "109's" could turn better than we could at low speed, and you had to watch out for the 30 mm. cannon in their propeller - it didn't give you a second chance. The best technique was to do a spiral dive, work up to a speed of 450 m.p.h., do a straight climb and then start all over again. The "109's" on the other hand, knowing that we dived faster than they did, tried to get us up to 16,000 feet, where our Tempests were heavy and our engines sluggish.

Our Tempest:

Second production batch of 300 aircraft built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd, Langley, Buckinghamshire. EJ504, EJ518-EJ560, EJ577-EJ611, EJ626-EJ672, EJ685-EJ723, EJ739-EJ788, EJ800-EJ846, EJ859-EJ896. Series 2 aircraft, Sabre IIA engines, short-barrel cannon, spring tab ailerons. Deliveries commenced 5-44, completed 9-44; average rate of production approximately 18 aircraft per week.

*Buzzsaw*
01-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Our Tempest:

Second production batch of 300 aircraft built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd, Langley, Buckinghamshire. EJ504, EJ518-EJ560, EJ577-EJ611, EJ626-EJ672, EJ685-EJ723, EJ739-EJ788, EJ800-EJ846, EJ859-EJ896. Series 2 aircraft, Sabre IIA engines, short-barrel cannon, spring tab ailerons. Deliveries commenced 5-44, completed 9-44; average rate of production approximately 18 aircraft per week.

This particular production batch was sent from the factory with a rating of +9 boost and 2180 HP. The below table shows at +8.5 boost, and seems to be what the game aircraft is modelled on.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/tempest-hawkerchart.jpg

But very shortly thereafter, to deal with the V1's, the decision was made to increase boost on the Sabre IIA to +11 when it was operated with 100/150 octane fuel, which raised available HP to 2420.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/merlin66_18_25b.jpg

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/sabrecurve.jpg

All subsequent Tempest production batches were equipped with the Sabre IIB and delivered from the factory rated to +11 boost even with 100/130 fuel. In the field, after December of 1944, when 100/150 octane fuel became available on the continent, maximum allowable boost was increased to +13, which raised HP to 2600.

The following charts show Tempest tested speed at +12 boost:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/hawker-12lbs.jpg

or +11 boost when the aircraft had been cleaned up and waxed, with pods for drop tanks removed:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/spit14+25lbs.jpg

All tables from Mike Williams Aircraft Performance site:

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spittest.html

mondo
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Never heard that one. Maybe you could provide a quote? All the Tempest pilots I have read or talked to said it was a superb plane. If Clostermann thought the Tempest was a deathtrap, he must have had a deathwish, because he sure spent a lot of time in one shooting down Germans.

In the same way the Corsair was the 'ensign eliminator' the Tempests characteristics made it a plane for seasoned pilots. It was considered harder to fly because of its high speed controls and setup. It had a high landing speed compared to other aircraft of its time, a high stall speed, just about adequate low speed controls, an engine that if not cared for correctly could break easily. Its not that it was a death trap, it just was very capable at being a flying coffin very quickly unless you were an experienced pilot, unlike the Spitfire.

All together is was quite unlike any plane Tempest pilots would have previously flown and low level flying also required some considerable experiance.

Kwiatek
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
We speak about less powerfull version of Tempest in game but what about overspeedy Fw 190 D-9 (44) ? I found playing online servers that most popular planes Fw 190 D-9 is much more faster at full throttle altitude then it should. I searched data about D-9 maxium speed and i found maximum reported speed of D-9 version with C3 fuel is 705 km/h TAS at 5,5 km. I tested D-9 (44) in game (Crimea map, 12:00, 100% fuel) and i reached constant speed 728 km/h TAS at 5.5 km. I also checked Il2Compare where is the same maximum speed as i reached in game. So D-9 (44) in game is faster at 23 km/h then RL best speed for D-9.
So we have very poular in online servers Fw190 D-9 (44) which beside of is the higher RL boost D-9 version but is faster then should and other hand we have allied planes like P-51 and Tempest which are accurate in maximum speed performance. These give the Dora flyiers speed adventage which shouldnt have.

*Buzzsaw*
01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
In the same way the Corsair was the 'ensign eliminator' the Tempests characteristics made it a plane for seasoned pilots. It was considered harder to fly because of its high speed controls and setup. It had a high landing speed compared to other aircraft of its time, a high stall speed, just about adequate low speed controls, an engine that if not cared for correctly could break easily. Its not that it was a death trap, it just was very capable at being a flying coffin very quickly unless you were an experienced pilot, unlike the Spitfire.

All together is was quite unlike any plane Tempest pilots would have previously flown and low level flying also required some considerable experiance.

Actually the Tempests stall speed and stall characteristics were not described as particularly a problem in the Pilot's notes, which you can see here:

http://tempest.nerdnet.nl/handlv.pdf

Stall speed was 85 mph/136 kph in clean condition, 75 mph/120 kph with flaps and undercarriage down.

Final approach speed was 100 mph/160 kph with the flaps down.

High speed stalls, as per any aircraft, happened if the elevator was applied too strongly, but there was warning with a wing dropping first, and departure only occurring with continued force was applied to the elevator. Recovery was described as "immediate", if the elevator was released.

And Tempest pilots had most often previously flown the Typhoon, which had very similar torque and takeoff characteristics.

Erkki
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Kwiatek: We also have, on those very same df servers, Spitfires that do not lose speed in turn at all, and that are therefore over-used... Its not so rare, even on spit vs 109, that of 40 guys flying red 35 are on Spit... Besides, the D9 "early" can always be replaced with D9 "late" - SpitIX 25lbs to MK. V, anyone? :grin:

Brain32
01-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Seriously tho guys, the Tempest isnt what I would call an 'easy flier' when compared to, for example, the Me109F4, The La5 or the Spifire IX.
Well having twice their weight I'm not terribly suprised however in-game it most certainly isn't far from them and still handles better than "only" 1 - 1,5ton lighter planes, no wonder the nose wobbles when the plane if flying like a feather...although it's 5 tons heavy

I found playing online servers that most popular planes Fw 190 D-9 is much more faster at full throttle altitude then it should.
You are correct D9 '44 is some 20-25kmh too fast at best alt.
But if you want to talk about popular and too fast, P51D is another example where at it's best alt also reaches 728kmh instead of 705kmh, so it's kinda "tit for tat" situation in that regards...
IRL Tempest outperformed FW190A because it was faster, climbed better, dived better and zoomed better, just like in-game although IRL Tempest didn't have any turn advantage over FW190A, in-game it can turn with late high power 109's down to like 240kmh, no problem while it can declass any FW without problems...
I wonder why Closterman said to his squaddies not to turn with 109's below 300MPH(482,8kmh), he and the others must have been really crappy pilots comparing to il2 aces...
I wonder what would happen if FW's could do that to Spitfires or Lavochkins ROFL - poor Oleg

mondo
01-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I wonder why Closterman said to his squaddies not to turn with 109's below 300MPH(482,8kmh), he and the others must have been really crappy pilots comparing to il2 aces...

Because in real life you take all precautions because you only get one life?

HR_Zunzun
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Well having twice their weight I'm not terribly suprised however in-game it most certainly isn't far from them and still handles better than "only" 1 - 1,5ton lighter planes, no wonder the nose wobbles when the plane if flying like a feather...although it's 5 tons heavy

I wonder what would happen if FW's could do that to Spitfires or Lavochkins ROFL - poor Oleg

I wonder why Evan Mackie wrote that:

The Tempest could not compete with the Hun in a climb, but could outdive them with ease and compare favourably in the turn. One particular combat with a long-nosed FW 190, took place at 3,000 feet on a clear day, uninterrupted by either flak or other aircraft. Using + 11 boost and 3,750 rpm, the Tempest would almost get into a position to fire after about 3 complete turns, when the Hun would throttle back completely and disobey the golden rule of not changing bank, by stall turning the opposite way, thus almost meeting the Tempest head-on or at least at a big angle. Thus the Hun made a very elusive and formidable target, for executing this manoeuvre for the fourth time, he managed to take a big deflection shot at the Tempest as it went steaming past.

Every pilots has own experience. None of the quotes I have red about the Tempest//109-190 relative turn performance said it couldnt turn with either of them (not saying the opposite though). My experience in the game mimic those quotes.

otoh I will agree you in respect that I would give away some turn performance (correct or not) for a proper 11lbs with full all aroun visibility tempest. ;)

Brain32
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Highly interesting story, but first he obviously ran 11lbs Tempest, but even then I find one thing pretty interesting, if you just outturned an enemy AC, how can that same allegedly outturned AC just bank the opposite way and meet you head-on?
Su-35 maybe but a FW190?

Anyway...it is what it is, I just find it funny when people say Tempest is hard to manouver lol

HR_Zunzun
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Highly interesting story, but first he obviously ran 11lbs Tempest, but even then I find one thing pretty interesting, if you just outturned an enemy AC, how can that same allegedly outturned AC just bank the opposite way and meet you head-on?
Su-35 maybe but a FW190?

Anyway...it is what it is, I just find it funny when people say Tempest is hard to manouver lol

If you try to manouver at low speed yes but above 400kph is a dream. Morever, I usually got my kills by slashing attacks (turning is of not use here). Having more or less turn performance wouldnt change much (save the deffensive but, once again, I rather run than turn).

Peccator
01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Try running WEP, 90% throttle, and radiators fully closed. And then TRIM your plane to fly straight and level (check your slip/slide ball). If you can't get at least 600 km/h (370 mph), you are doing something wrong. Also, the plane can run for quite awhile like this without over-heating; and even when it does overheat, you can run for quite awhile without damaging your engine. If you need the extra punch, give it more throttle, but it will overheat quickly if you do so.

I've managed to outrun Dora's on the deck with these settings. I don't think the tempest is faster than the 190's but if I'm not losing E due to radiators, improper trim, and overuse of the controls, it makes a huge difference.

If you think of the plane as an allied equivalent of a 190 instead of as a 109 or spitfire, you will probably be more impressed with the plane.

Lo0n
01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
at what pitch setting there?

Peccator
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
100% Prop pitch.

This was online, so not the best test conditions. I just tried it offline and I could only do ~590km/h on the deck. I must've been in a slight dive online.

BTW, I don't really understand why people give high speed data at mid or high altitude. I don't know about you all, but I tend to run away on the deck much more often than I run away at 5000 meters.

HR_Zunzun
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
100% Prop pitch.

This was online, so not the best test conditions. I just tried it offline and I could only do ~590km/h on the deck. I must've been in a slight dive online.

BTW, I don't really understand why people give high speed data at mid or high altitude. I don't know about you all, but I tend to run away on the deck much more often than I run away at 5000 meters.

Better run at 2000-3000m. At this height it is faster than any 109 or 190. It they still close in by diving on you (heigh advantage) you still got those 2000m for diving or manouvering.

dflion
01-25-2008, 09:02 PM
I thought I would put my observations into this debate on flying the Tempest in IL2.
I have found that proper 'prop pitch management', use of the radiator settings to stop overheating, turning on the supercharger over 10,000 feet and height and speed in a dive are the major factors in successfully flying the Tempest.
I think Oleg has modelled the Tempest very faithfully in the game. It is a handful to fly (as Pierre Clostermann found out) and takes practice to master.

I have just been testing one of my missions, flying the Tempest, from my new 65 mission 'offline' campaign based on the career of Roland Beaumont from his book 'My Part of the Sky' (releasing in February on Mission4 Today). In this mission I 'sealed the fate' of two Long nose Focke-Wulfs very quickly, then went on and shot down a Me262 coming into land at Rheine-Hopsten, with my No2 following me faithfully.
I have got a copy of the 'Tempest V Pilot's Notes' and there is no doubt that Oleg has modelled our game Tempest on the '9lb version'.

Thanks for puting in the quote from Roland Beaumont flying his Tempest 'Buzzsaw', after finishing this campaign based on his WWII career, I have come to realise what an exceptional pilot he was, who obviously enjoyed flying to the max.

DFLion

tools4fools
01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Question:

what was total wartime production of Tempest and production of Tempest we got in IL-2 (plus older model with long cannons)?

Just out of curiosity.
++++

mondo
01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Around 800 planes in 4 batches. First batch had the Hispano MkII's (although 2 planes were equipped with MkV's), 2nd batch had among other changes the MkV's, the 3rd and 4th batch had further fuselage changes and Sabre IIB. Some/all of the 4th batch had a rotol prop. Note that the first two batches had there IIA's upgrades in late 44 to IIB standard and the MkII's were replaced with MkV's.

_79_kk
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
^S^

I have 1000+ ohrs online in the tempest, and IF you fly it correct it can turn with all the 109`s exsept the F and g2.

Of the 190`s there are only the 190A9 that can be hard to fight.

This is lower then 10.000 ft.

Speed is great low lewle, and its no problem keeping upp with all 109/190 exsept the D9.

Its all about knowing you plane and lern to fly it to the max.

Tempest need alot of PP/Rad/trim changing "in flight" to get the max out of it :)

Brain and me have had some great fights in tempest vs 109/190. and i can say that its always a close match :)

Tempest at 10.000 ft and higher is a diff storry...lol....and thats wy im never higher then 12.000 ft :)

I would like to see a smaler "back plate" and that it was 10-15 mph faster low levle, but that is just a "wet dream" i think ;)