PDA

View Full Version : The King and the General: Can't win it!

Severe
12-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I have tried this single mission over and over but can't seem to beat it. Wondering if anyone has beat it and if so what was your strategy? I have won the other single missions but this one seems unbelievably difficult.

Ogre
12-29-2007, 01:55 AM
I won but it was a bronze victory on the last turn with 2 units left. I played on normal difficulty. It is certainly a tough scenario. I just finished the full game and will try the scenario 1 more time......

Severe
12-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Let me know how you won on the second try! I must be using the wrong combination of units.

Severe
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Ok finally won it!

Ogre
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Good, How did u do?

Severe
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Got bronze on normal setting.

Severe
01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Now I'm stuck on Freibergs destiny. In the campaign.
That is a tough one with a 25 turn limit that almost feels impossible. Kill king
victor and then take Freiberg. Don't have enough units to do it

Ogre
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I posted my Final few save games here for Frieberg's Destiny.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2497

That was a tough one. What I find I need to do In the King and General and Frieberg's Destiny is to advance until I meet the enemy and then form up and let them attack. First Row Melee Units, 2nd Row missle units. They usually bang themselves against the wall of units and during my attack phase I pick off the weakened units.

Severe
01-03-2008, 12:58 AM
ok Ogre! Thanks for the info and saved games I will look them over. I have no problen taking freiburg, but by the time I'ts mine I must go kill the king in Seelberg but don't have enough turns or units to do it.

Ogre
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Not Enough Units: Do you have enough gold to buy additional units during the game? You can purchase new units and deploy mid-game if need be. I had to do that once or twice. OR don't let your units dwindle down. Get to a city and buy recruits more often.

Time: The majority of my victories for all 3 campaigns are bronze with a few silver and 1 gold. If you are running out of time try not going for the secondary objectives such as towns that are not required goals.

I am sure this isn't new stuff to anyone but there it is anyway. :)

bman654
01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I am only on the 4th Orc mission but so far the only way to get Gold tends to involve splitting your forces and going for several of the goals at the same time. And don't try and kill every single enemy you meet. Just force them out of the town, capture it, and move along. Usually your rear-guard can perform the mop-up duty but don't let them run away and lead you away from your goal.

Ogre
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Finally finished a replay of the King and General mission. Fisnished on turn 24 with most of my units intact.

Severe
01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I can usually buy about 2 xtra units with gold

Severe
01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I downloaded your saved games ogre but am not sure where to put them in the directory?

Ogre
01-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Severe - They will go in the Saves folder in your profile folder. Here is an example of the path in my system.

C:\Program Files\FW\Profiles\Profile.01\Saves

Severe
01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks again Ogre!

jester
01-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Now I'm stuck on Freibergs destiny. In the campaign.
That is a tough one with a 25 turn limit that almost feels impossible. Kill king
victor and then take Freiberg. Don't have enough units to do it

the key to that scenario is the troll intimidation. Give the troll that horn of horror you won from last scenario, that would be -40% to enemy willpower. For the high HP enemy units, it means retreat at 3 pt damage and broken at 4. By end of turn 4, you should have freiberg in hand, giving you plenty of time to swing your army around and take out victor, and still get your gold victory.

mavericknm
01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Hmm I thought this map was a challenge but nothing too hard. I've been getting gold victories since the start but even then, I haven't been using much of the gold. At the time of starting this level, I had about 1k worth just sitting in my bank because I couldn't use it.

Heres my load out.

King Victor's Side (KVS)
2 seige machine
3 archers
zeplin
2 melee heroes
2-3 defensive heavy infantry (orc fighters if I remember?)

Freidburg Side deployment (FS)
2 mages
troll
2 defensive heavy infantry (orc fighters if I remember?)

GAME PLAN
within the first couple turns, KVS takes control of the town on the right while hugging the edge of the map and taking the chappel. Immediate targets are all scouts and archers. Placement of archers inside forests and on top of hills is critical as is seige equipment. I use my melee heroes to break into towns all the while advancing a front on the road with heavy infantry.

In the mean time, FS sticks to the other edge of the map taking the village without disturbing the castle units. Both mages should also be supporting the KVS with spells especially with wolves and boars which give time to units to set up a front.

Once the KVS town has been taken, injured units are replace and if necessary recruited. Archers are now needed to take down the eagles while at the same time removing enemy archers. Simply hold this front while their spearmen and king victor attack you. Killing King Victor himself is easy with the help of seige machines and one hero.

Back on the FS, units try to cross the river without disturbing the castle and continuing magic support.

Eventualy, the KVS enemy will break and it will be easy to move in, this should happen around turn 8. Immediatly after, all units need to be pulled back to join FS. Take advantage of surprise and seige all units in the rivers. Set up a front on the rivers and allow them to come out. Do not attemp to cross the river until several of their knights have attacked you. Use this time to heal. If there is enough time, one archer and one melee hero may be used to capture the last town on KVS side.

FS once across the river should make for the church. There are several harassers including an archer and ranger. The troll should be able to take hits while other units kill the mage here.

Finally, the last phase involves a pincer attack. Fortuntately orc fighters and trolls excell in urban areas and thus will force the enemy to retreat. Then simply occupy and win even if the enemy is not dead.

On of the most difficult parts is the enemy eagles. This will tie down your archers for a long period. If possible, rather than killing the eagles, simply lure them away so that you may make a safe river crossing.

bman654
01-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Hmm, back to the King and General topic...

I tried this one on Hard. My first attempt I accidentally let Derrick get killed. My second attempt I got thrashed when the enemy reinforcements came down from the north. My third attempt, I won it on turn 10. Though I got a lucky break and probably should have taken me 2 more turns to win.

There's no reason you can't have totally conquered and killed all the defenders at the first town near your start and the first castle by the end of turn 6 with little or no losses. This includes getting all the artifacts. The artifact from the Swamp castle that heals your troopers is *really* nice. Don't be afraid to use the army screen to swap that artifact around to your injured troops.

Once you've taken over the first castle, the trick to winning quickly is to split your forces and have each group conquer one of the 2 remaining castles. Actually, this is the trick to winning many missions with Gold.