PDA

View Full Version : Access Denied

Kenpoman
07-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I just purchased the retail version today at a local Gamestop. When I click the Setup.exe icon, I get "Error-Access Denied". Yes, I am the administrator on this computer running WinXP SP3 w/ Direct X9.0c. I also tried copying the files directly to my C drive and running it there. Same thing. Any suggestions where to start?:(

Kenpoman
04-20-2012, 02:48 AM
I just purchased the retail version today at a local Gamestop. When I click the Setup.exe icon, I get "Error-Access Denied". Yes, I am the administrator on this computer running WinXP SP3 w/ Direct X9.0c. I also tried copying the files directly to my C drive and running it there. Same thing. Any suggestions where to start?:(

I posted this almost a year ago and my copy of AS has just been gathering dust cause obviously support doesn't give a darn. Any answer to this question?

RoastedAlmon
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I posted this almost a year ago and my copy of AS has just been gathering dust cause obviously support doesn't give a darn. Any answer to this question?

This is a long shot and i don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. If you have an antivirus or malware program installed you can try disabeling it/them for a short time while trying to run setup.exe again and see if that helps. Some antivirus programs sometimes blocks installations or tries to run applications in sandbox mode.

Another thing you can try is to run the setup.exe as an administrator. Can't remember if you can do it like this in XP but heres how i do it in windows 7. Do that by right clicking the setup.exe and click Properties from the roll down menu. Press the tap named Compatibility and then you check/tick the small box at the bottom with the text: Run this application as an administrator. Press OK when you have done that and try starting the setup.exe and see if that helps. Another way of running an app as an admin is to right click setup.exe and click Run as Administrator in the top of the roll down menu.

If none of these works then maybe you can register your Men of War Assault Squad retail cd key on steam and play it on steam. My copy was a download version bought outside of steam but just for fun i wanted to see if it would register on steam and it did. Hope it helps so you finally can play MOW AS ;)

Kenpoman
04-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks Roasted for responding. The steam idea was an excellent one but it failed. My copy is a retail version i purchased at a local Target store. The access denied problem comes up right after I try to start the setup.exe file. It seems like the program is not reading my admin privileges correctly or some type of copy protection is getting in the way. I also tried the "run as" thing but that gave the same results. I would really like to play this game but I seem to be stuck with an expensive coaster. Any further thoughts would be appreciated. :(

**sorry about the double post**

RoastedAlmon
04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks Roasted for responding. The steam idea was an excellent one but it failed. My copy is a retail version i purchased at a local Target store. The access denied problem comes up right after I try to start the setup.exe file. It seems like the program is not reading my admin privileges correctly or some type of copy protection is getting in the way. I also tried the "run as" thing but that gave the same results. I would really like to play this game but I seem to be stuck with an expensive coaster. Any further thoughts would be appreciated. :(

**sorry about the double post**

Here is a few more annoyingly tedious longshots that might get you closer to a solution or a lot of early grey hair. :grin:

Some people with Win XP SP 3 have have posted similar problems on the internet. And i found one that solved the problem by copying the dvd content onto the harddrive and renaming the setup.exe to reinstall.exe and it installed with no problem according to him.

Some have said that installing in Safe Mode solved the problem with not being able to run setup.exe. Just before the XP logo gets on screen when rebooting the pc, press F8 and choose Safe Mode from the list. You can not play the game in safe mode so when/if it finished installing the game, then restart the pc like you normaly do an see if you can play the game.

On this next one i will advise you to be cautious with what you disable in your services list if you decide to try that out. As it can cause more problems. If you don't have any burning software installed then it might be another type of software running in the background causing the problem. If you don't want to mess with your services list then you can as an alternative try unistalling some of your programs one by one and see if the problem goes away. Programs like preinstalled monitoring apps or burning software or anything that runs in the background. Some have similar problems with the application Intel ProSet and when they removed it the problem dissapeared. I think it is a wireless connection manager program.

The services solution:
The problem can be caused by cd/dvd burning software with monitoring services. If you have Nero installed then these can be the problem NMBgMonitor.exe, NMIndexingService.exe, or NMIndexing.exe. Other burning software have also proven to cause issues with installing setup files. Go to start, run, and type in msconfig. Then when the window opens press the Services tap. When on the services screen, disable the nmindexing service. An alternative way of getting into services is to press Ctrl+shift+Esc. If disabeling it does not work then try stopping some of the other services i mentioned above if they are on the services list and see if its not one of them stopping setup.exe from running. You can always activate them again. If you have another burning program than Nero then try a Google search and see if others have similar problems with that program and setup.exe errors. Or you can just try and uninstall it and see if it fixes the problem.

Sorry about the long post ;)

P.s. Saw this on MOW AS official site. So one would think that you should be able to activate your copy on steam: "Please note that from now on all retail versions of Men of War: Assault Squad can be activated through Steam. To activate please use the GameSpy multiplayer CD-key included in the package."