PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit and IL2 1946

Skarphol
12-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi!

Iv'e just built a new rig, and chose to use Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit as operating system as I wanted to have the possibility to use more than 4 GB of RAM later.
I haven't gotten longer than to install just Photoshop and then I should install an older game I have, The Longest Journey, but that wouldn't install. Got an error message, but can't remember what it was.
Then I tried to install IL-2 1946 but it wouldn't install either. I didn't even get to the part where you chose where to install the game. After running "setup.exe", nothing really happens, exept that I can hear the HDD work, that's all. There are no warings or error-messages.
Is it a problem with Vista 64 bit and this game?

Skarphol

brando
12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
The most common suggestions that I've seen are to:

Use the a.exe to install the game

avoid installing to Program Files; create a folder in C: (e.g.) \ Games - install to there, thus allowing you to edit conf.ini

Switch off UAC

Re-install XP (irony)

B

Skarphol
12-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll have to check in on this a little bit later, for now it's just X-mas for a couple of days.
What is UAC?
And re-installing XP is actually a quite possible solution to my problems, but that would of course make the money for the Vista a complete waste...

Skarphol

EAF331_Hans
12-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Go for a.exe to install.
I am running IL2 and many other games on Vistax64, no problems whatsoever.
Do a search for UAC in "Help" and you will learn what it is and how to disable it if needed.

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Vista 64 is one of the best operating systems to date, you just have to know how to use it. It was the same when xp came out (anyone else remember endless suggestions of "reinstall win98 or win2000"?). There's a few updates that improve performance that are not part of automatic updates, search the net or the windows downloads for them. Enjoy a stable version of windows for once :).

Skarphol
12-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks alot for your answers!
Just using the a.exe-file solved the problem!

I'll have to use a litle (or maybe considerable) time to learn how to use Vista effectively. Usually you just start up the thing and use the features you know from the old OS, never really putting any effort into learning something new. And that's really a waste of resources on your computer..

Now, how to get max out of my new CPU.... but that will be another thread.

Skarphol

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks alot for your answers!
Just using the a.exe-file solved the problem!

I'll have to use a litle (or maybe considerable) time to learn how to use Vista effectively. Usually you just start up the thing and use the features you know from the old OS, never really putting any effort into learning something new. And that's really a waste of resources on your computer..

Now, how to get max out of my new CPU.... but that will be another thread.

Skarphol

That is an awsome attitude! I'm so tired of the "I could do it the same way as I have for the last 5 years, vista must suck, I'm going back to xp", with that kind of thinking the Wright brothers would never have gotten off the ground, lol.

robtek
12-26-2007, 10:41 PM
I still think the only difference between xp64 and vista64 is that you need new hardware for functions that maybe a very little minority can and will use.
Oh, and of course the new optics.
And you cant do anything you could do with xp because vista is deciding what you are allowed to do and what not.
For me it looks like: Leave your brain at the entry, we know what is good for you.
For me the only reason for vista is that ms had to have something new to sell.
Basically it doesn´t do a bit more than xp but costs much more.
Because it is new it doesnt have to be better.
Sorry couldn´t help it whe i read about the brave, new vista world.
robtek

Skarphol
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi again!

I'm not one of the advanced users of the operating system, I usually just use it to copy/move files and run other aplications. Nevertheless, my impression of Vista Home Premium 64 thus far is very good. I still haven't used it much, but have installed IL-2, Photoshop, Office 2007 plus things like TrackIR 4, cordless joystick, laserprinter, Logitech cordless DJ for transfering music to the stereo i my livingroom etc.
Most things has gone smooth, the only downside is that my webcamera is incompatible with a 64 bit OS.
It seems to have a lot of quite userfriendly features that wasn't that easly achieved in XP.
As the price for this OEM version of Vista Home Premium 64 was only marginally higher than the price for XP, I see so far no reason not to recomend this OS for those who are about to buy a new operating system. Just upgrading is another case, though..

Skarphol

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-27-2007, 04:46 PM
And you cant do anything you could do with xp because vista is deciding what you are allowed to do and what not.
For me it looks like: Leave your brain at the entry, we know what is good for you.
For me the only reason for vista is that ms had to have something new to sell.
Basically it doesn´t do a bit more than xp but costs much more.
Because it is new it doesnt have to be better.
Sorry couldn´t help it whe i read about the brave, new vista world.
robtek

Well, on the above points you are technically correct, except that you can turn off those babysitter features. And don't just read about it, you need to experience an OS, vista has so much bad press that is inacurate there is no way to make a proper judgement just by reading around the internet.

robtek
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
@US
ok, but it is not that easy to find all the buttons.
and if you turn those gimmicks off the difference to xp is not easy to see.
If you are a new pc-user vista is ok with new hardware.
If you have a running rig -> no reason to update.
Thats what i think

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
@US
ok, but it is not that easy to find all the buttons.
and if you turn those gimmicks off the difference to xp is not easy to see.
If you are a new pc-user vista is ok with new hardware.
If you have a running rig -> no reason to update.
Thats what i think

I can concure with that, no real reason to upgrade from a working xp. No reason NOT to get vista either is the point I try to make, I'm a little nuts on this subject due to all the anti-vista BS out there, lol. You all will have to just bear with me on this one, lol.

Fearfactor
12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't do drugs, and I don't do Windows Vista. But if I had to chose I'd probably do drugs!! At least I'd get something in return!!!!!!

Fearfactor
12-29-2007, 01:59 AM
I can concure with that, no real reason to upgrade from a working xp. No reason NOT to get vista either is the point I try to make, I'm a little nuts on this subject due to all the anti-vista BS out there, lol. You all will have to just bear with me on this one, lol.I have no trouble with XP so why bother? I was able to get Windows 98 do everything I need to do on the internet and use the latest multimedia and everything up until a few months ago. Therefore I think XP still has a few years left in it. Vista is just another attempt by MS to make some money, that's all it is. No need for it.

scooby200245601
08-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I had the same problem with some of the games when I first got XP but I used compatibility wizard and it installed and worked great. I believe you'll find Compatibility Wizard in the Accessories/tools drop down menu. It should help. At least I hope so. Because my XP Computer finally died and I've ordered my new one it has Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
This happens to be my favorite game I would be upset if I couldn't play on some dumb technicality issue. By the way I'm going thru withdrawls I'm using my emergency computer with the Win98SE with Pentium II processor. Remember the 350s? Well I'm stuck for another week or so my CD Rom just Crashed and can play no games. Anyway I hope my suggestion helps. I have an IT Degree and that is what I was taught and so it works for me. Hope all goes well. Let me know if this helps ok....
scooby200245601@yahoo.com

Skarphol
08-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Scooby!
I was mildly surprised to see this thread pop back up on the front page again!
The problem was solved in the first replies to my request, in december last year. I just had to use the a.exe-file to install the game.
I haven't had any other issues with Vista except that sometimes the machine turns itself on, if I have just used the "on/off"-lookalike button.

Skarphol

GF_Mastiff
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
turns it self on? do you have a 64bit compatible Mother board, if so theres features in it you can enable to enhance your system.

I.E em64t
eist
speed stepping.

Friedric
08-03-2008, 08:56 PM
CAn you use the microsoft forcefeedback 2 controller programe with vista ?

scooby200245601
08-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm just getting a new computer in a few days and heard rumor of Vista 64 problems. Will ya give the step by step info in how you got IL2 1946 to install. I've never heard of a.exe of course I've never needed it either. With XP Pro I had no trouble and my game installed directly into the C:Programs folder everything else was fine. I'd appreciate you getting back with me I expect to place my order tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for the help....

Cya, scooby

Skarphol
08-04-2008, 07:17 AM
@Scooby: The "a.exe" - file is on disk 1 in your IL2 1946-box. Just run it instead of the "setup.exe" - file. It is higly recomended that you install the game in another folder than "Program files". Create a new folder, for instance "C:\Games" for this purpose.

@Friedric: I have no idea about Microsoft FF, but would be suprised if those two Microsoft products didn't cooperate.

@GF_Mastiff: My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. I am really not sure wiether this motherboard is 64bit compatible. Never thought of that as a source of problems actually. Should definitively have checked before I bought. I am at work right now, but will look into later.

Skarphol

GF_Mastiff
08-04-2008, 08:25 AM
looks like you have some bios updates http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2543
for that board make sure you get them and read your bios manual, look for anything thats state em64t and enable that for 64bit OS system

scooby200245601
08-09-2008, 06:24 AM
I wanted to update you about Vista64. Anyway I just got my Computer its not top of the line but it gets the job done. I have an HP m8530f it came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit with Svc pk1. Whatever the issue WAS with IL2 1946 but it was resolved with svc pk1. My game installed with no trouble and plays great. I didn't have to use a.exe or any special procedure. I wanted to mention this to all that are concerned about Vista issues. I remember when XP came out people were panic about it. They were the same when 98 came out too. Its just the same ole song and dance. Yes, I do see improvements in Vista 64 and I encourage others to try it. Maybe even a short computer course it will greatly improve ones standpoint and flexibility in OS changes. Mine is just Great!!! Thanks.... scooby

Skarphol
08-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi!
Good to hear everthing has gone well thus far. I installed 1946 before service pack 1 was released, so as you point out this may not be a problem anymore at all.

Skarphol

|ZUTI|
08-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi guys,

I wonder if some of you might have a similar problems to what I have on my installation of Vista 64bit SP1. I am able to connect to any on-line servers only for the first time when vista boots. If I want to re-connect at some other time, I receive famous Timeout1 error message (The communication with the remote host is lost. Reason: Timeout1) and as far as I can remember, this was greatly associated with that anti-cheat flag set to 2. My question is, why am i able to connect to server in the first place? :)

Anyone experienced similar problems?

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi guys,

I wonder if some of you might have a similar problems to what I have on my installation of Vista 64bit SP1. I am able to connect to any on-line servers only for the first time when vista boots. If I want to re-connect at some other time, I receive famous Timeout1 error message (The communication with the remote host is lost. Reason: Timeout1) and as far as I can remember, this was greatly associated with that anti-cheat flag set to 2. My question is, why am i able to connect to server in the first place? :)

Anyone experienced similar problems?

That's weird, I'm never able to connect to CRT=2 servers with my Vista.

|ZUTI|
08-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Hehe, then i'm lucky :)

GF_Mastiff
08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
That's weird, I'm never able to connect to CRT=2 servers with my Vista.

I'm having the same issues, I try to connect to a server then it times out, if I shut down the game restart it, then it connects the second or 3rd time I try it.

This is happening on all games, I try to connect to servers. I believe it has something to do with Vista.

crazyivan1970
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
CRT check is not really friendly with OS differences between server and the client... Myself, using Vista64 Premium i can join any servers with CRT=2...but in the same time i cannot join server running even CRT=1 with XP64. I did several tests trying to host and join from different OS`s. Seems that Vista64 OR 32 is pretty friendly with Win2003 server, and XP, while XP and XP64 could give you famous timeout=1 while joining Win2003 Server, but are OK with XP, XP Pro and XP64 hosts.

BTW i agree with some of the posters, Vista64 Premium is very very nice. It does require some adjustments and tweaks, but once you get it right, it`s fantastic. Vista32 Home seem to be crappy IMO... 32 Premium is ok. Go figure, should be the same core, but such different behavior...

|ZUTI|
08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I was running Vista 64 Ultimate. Connection to CRT=1 servers worked fine, but to CRT=2 was what it was... one timeer only. So i am back with XP...

Did any one of you try to use compatibility mode to run IL2? I might try that once i reload the Vista image.

Buster_Dee
08-16-2008, 01:50 PM
CAn you use the microsoft forcefeedback 2 controller programe with vista ?

Got my new PC Friday--64 Home Premium. The FFB2 ran as soon as I plugged it in, but I haven't tried to install the Manager software. I also have the CH pedals and throttle. All three worked.