PDA

View Full Version : Publisher for SoW?

JG52Uther
12-22-2007, 08:50 AM
It looks like Oleg could be finished with ubi,looking at the total lack of any SoW update posted on that site,so who else do you think could be in a position to publish SoW?
Could 1C do it themselves for the Western market?

EAF331_Hans
12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I think 1C should offer a download and mail-order service themselves. The game will promote itself within the community and you could send some copies for review in magazines and web sites. This way you will reach everynone interested in an advanced flight simm. And they will all be able to order via the 1C site.

I don't know how large the market is for causal buyers in traditional stores, but I think the market is moving towards digital downloads and web-stores.

/Hans

Bearcat
12-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I think that barring the leaks that we saw with PF... SoW will be huge.... in every sim circuit I know of from magazine to web... with the exception of the die hard CFS fans it is pretty much agreed that this series is top dog, that 1C is king of the WWII sim at the moment... and SoW promises to raise the bar considerably.

MOH_Hirth
12-22-2007, 06:31 PM
If 1C want a voluntary to help contacts with DVD company in Brazil/South America, i can help.

In USA why not talking with Microsoft? Bill Gates like simulators, if Oleg let SOW change name to CFS4...

Viking
12-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I think, as UBI already have announced the news of the development of SoW on their homepage, that a contract already exists between Oleg and UBI but if I recollect correctly Oleg had the rights for IL2 in the eastern Europe and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case again for SoW

Avimimus
12-22-2007, 08:14 PM
1C was the distributor in Eastern Europe for the earlier series. There were murmurings (press releases) coming from 1C that several pieces of Russian software that did well with them were getting limited distribution in Western Europe/North America and that they were going to "invade". Hence the expansion of the English forums, "Tomorrow War" etc.

MOH_Hirth
12-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Eletronic Arts have the best sistem sell protection agains pirance, Battlefiel2 sell more than 2000.000 copies, and to play online only genuine copy with online register.
1C can do something like this for SOW.

TUCKIE_JG52
12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
IIf I was Oleg, I'll speak with serious simulation distributors. They are few, but keep growing everyday...

Perhaps the most known is Just Flight. and they are linked with several other minor distributors, at least here in Spain (Proein). Here also sounds Friendware and Draque.

Ubi does not care about simulation (specially in Spain), time to make the own way.

I hope Oleg will find the better way for him and for us. :)

TUCKIE_JG52
12-28-2007, 10:23 AM
One more new from Spain: after selling 1946 at 19,95€ in stores for a month and half, now its prize has been lowered to 9,95€.

What does this mean? They (Ubi) want to eliminate all stock quickly? Justify low benefits from selling a simulator? :(

Xiola
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I think that most Spanish pilots who wanted IL2 1946, will have bought a copy from overseas on EBAY or some mail order site well before the Spanish release (if I am understanding you properly, that 1946 was only released a month ago in Spain?>).

As such, it probably would not sell so well, being released so late after UK/US/Russian releases.

Plus, most games sell well in the first month, and then it drops a lot. They are probably still making a profit on it, they likely bought it from UBI at around 9 Euros and selling it at 9.99 will still make 99p and shift all the old stock. Better to only make 99p on it now, than have it taking up shelf space for 6 months and then stuck in a bargain bin for £2.99.

Its only the same as most other games. The price drops by £10 usually after a month or so here in the UK too. Its just most games are more expensive than £19.99 at release. 1946 was really a bargain in that respect at 19.99 on release.

I am such a cheapskate that I only just bought Battlefield 2 as I saw it in a bargain bin for £7.99!! I am loving it too, thinking of buying all the addons for it now :D I love all the different ways of playing, pilot, tanker, medic, spec ops who sneaks into the enemy base and blows up the artillery and command post. Theres a lot of strategy in there too, not just shooting.

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I wish Oleg would go with STEAM which is a great service.

S!

DerAlte
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM

S!

The only problem with STEAM is, if you have a major comp meltdown, it take FOREVER to get your stuff back....... provided you remember your password!!!!

DerAlte

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Steam has it's advantages, but I don't like not being able to play offline games if my internet happens to be down.

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
The only problem with STEAM is, if you have a major comp meltdown, it take FOREVER to get your stuff back....... provided you remember your password!!!!

DerAlte

I got my stuff back several times. Max speed downloads from STEAM. Also you can own the boxed version like Red Orchestra, Orange Box, ect. And well if you forget your password I would believe its your fault...lol.

S!

Vigilant
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
It looks like Oleg could be finished with ubi
Do you know this for sure, or is it just opinion here?

JG52Uther
01-04-2008, 11:54 AM

My opinion,and several others.
When is the last time you saw him post at the ubi forum?
When is the last time he posted updates about SoW at the ubi forum?
Did he announce the 409beta patch at the ubi forum?

Codex
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Steam has it's advantages, but I don't like not being able to play offline games if my internet happens to be down.

You can play off-line without an net connection on Steam, it has an off-line mode.

I think STEAM is a great service, many advantages:
Software is generally cheaper in digital form.
Shop from home.
Once you've downloaded the main files just burn them to DVD.
You get auto updates.
Reduces likely hood of hacks on official servers.

Rama
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM

This is just totally uninformed opinion.
M:1C and Ubi are tied on contract. Ubi is paying for the dev of SoW:BoB. They usually don't give money for nothing.
... and... I know this for sure, this isn't just an opinion.

13th Hsqn Protos
01-05-2008, 08:11 AM

S!

+ 1

FA_Cheech
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
+2

Antoninus
01-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Fast enough broadband Internet connections to download multiple GB files in a reasonable amount of time are not available everywhere.

Also I want to be able to still play my games in 15 or 20 years if I have the desire to do so. Independently if steam does still exist.

Gryphon_
01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Fast enough broadband Internet connections to download multiple GB files in a reasonable amount of time are not available everywhere.

Also I want to be able to still play my games in 15 or 20 years if I have the desire to do so. Independently if steam does still exist.

I disagree. Broadband is already fast enough to stream movies in most urban areas of major nations. The media for any game can still be ordered if you dont have access to that. And if you have a requirement to play your games 15 or 20 years after you bought them I think you are unique in the market. 5 years is a long time for any game to survive; 15-20 years is 3+ generations of OS and new OS generally makes older apps and games obselete. 15 years ago we were running MS DOS, Windows 3.1 and playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat!:)

Antoninus
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Not everybody lives in urban areas. I live in a rural area, just 50 km away from Frankfurt. The max. download speed available here is just 400 kbit/s (48 kbyte /s). At that rate it takes nearly 6 hours to download a single GB.

If I pay for game I demand the right to use it indefinitely and not only as long as anybody can make enough profit with it. Emulators like DOSbox or scumvm are quite popular, so I guess I am not the only one who wants to play his old games from time to time.

Many sims become obsolete with time, but only if there is any replacement available. If I want to fly an Eurofighter or Tornado in combat I have not much choice.

Other games are just timeless, either because of their unique gameplay or good story. Maniac Mansion, Tie Fighter or the Wing Commander series for example.

|ZUTI|
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
If i may. All i want is collectors or special edition with A PRINTED manual. Explaining bob background, explaining basic flight maneuers, advanced ones, ac handling, aircraft specifications etc. That's all that i want :) God, where are the times of falcon 4 anyone?

LEXX
01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Antoninus:: Many sims become obsolete with time, but only if there is any replacement available. If I want to fly an Eurofighter or Tornado in combat I have not much choice.
True!!! Would that apply to Red Baron sim?

Zuti:: All i want is collectors or special edition with A PRINTED manual.
Ever wonder why games stay the same price for 15 years?

Cereal boxes often stay the same price, but get smaller. I think that's what happened to classical giant printed game manuals. Monetary/Credit inflation causes rising prices OR less product for a given price. We are getting less cereal in our game boxes. :grin:

Avimimus
01-06-2008, 03:41 AM

I second that. About 30% of communities in Canada don't have access. There are also a lot of people who simply can't afford high speed connections (40% of the population).

MaXMhZ
01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Better read this thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2387) guys. No idea if it is valid for IL-2/SoW though.

na85
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Eletronic Arts have the best sistem sell protection agains pirance, Battlefiel2 sell more than 2000.000 copies, and to play online only genuine copy with online register.
1C can do something like this for SOW.

Actually you're quite wrong. My roommate played BF2 and BF2142 with pirated copies. Also, EA is a crappy company that ruins game franchises.

|ZUTI|
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Zuti::
Ever wonder why games stay the same price for 15 years?

Cereal boxes often stay the same price, but get smaller. I think that's what happened to classical giant printed game manuals. Monetary/Credit inflation causes rising prices OR less product for a given price. We are getting less cereal in our game boxes. :grin:

That's why i wrote collectors or special edition :D I know that you're right, though.