PDA

View Full Version : RE: Olegs Unswers - Complex engine and switches.

Baco
12-22-2007, 12:11 AM
I know Oleg has made up his mind, but, just so that I can share my oopinnion. I think Engine, and Fuel managment has a lot to do with the fascinating complex Damage Model Oleg plans to implement in BoB.

Why, ok we are going to have 20 or so damage points in the engine, and countless more in the fuselage, and fuel tanks...

Now a way of compensating for damage could be complex managment of fuel tanks, for instance: If I get may right wing shreded, I wish I could turn off teh Regular tank Feeding, and onlly feed from the wings until I ran out, that way saving the central tank´s fuel. If no controls for this exist, I am forced to see my wing tank get depleated while I am sucking fuel from every other tank also, and maybe un-realisticlly not reaching the other side of the channel..

Or maybe I get part of my engine broken and maybe I can compensate using one or the other magneto (after all thats why planes have two magnetos rigth?). We allredy have Supercharger settings and Mixture, and by the looks, Il-2 was planned to include magneto settings, (it´s in the mapable controles ;) . SO maybe not getting a detailed historical full switch cockpit is a wise decision by Oleg. But could we at least ask for fuel managemente, magentos, and carb heat (it´s just one more function as Superchargers). It sounds silly but having to manage fuel not to loose or get better center of gravity features (or at least onlly conserve the fuel we want) adds a lot more deph than what one might think. And has to do with Damage Control, for a grate Damage model we will have.

It´s merelly a suggestion, since Oleg stated that features are being defined these days...

I hope he squeezes a couple more switches into the engine...

4H_V-man
12-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Seperate magnetos are already modelled in Il2. It doesn't happen often, but I have had my engine killed by gunfire, and by switching mags, have been able to refire it and RTB. Even as late as tonight I discovered another feature in the DM that I never knew existed before. This sim is MUCH more complicated and detailed than many give it credit for.