PDA

View Full Version : Waving trees and flickering shadows

furbs
07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Can we just turn them off? who cares about waving trees and they cause the flickering shadows!

JG52Krupi
07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Can we just turn them off? who cares about waving trees and they cause the flickering shadows!

It would be nice to see if this improved performance, but I wonder what setting they can modify in speed tree?

White Owl
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree this would be a good thing to make optional. The shadows in this game look so very good and really bring the landscape to life... except for those trees. If the trees stopped moving I wonder how many people would even notice. But if the shadows stopped flickering, I bet a whole lot more would notice.

KG26_Alpha
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Strange

In IL2 1946 the trees wave about with no flickering !!

Speed trees are different............ but the flickering is the shadow render ?

Kankkis
07-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I think waving is no reason for flikering because they only wave in close.

Trees are not waving when you see then higher altitude but shadows still flickering.

It's just like grass, it only hog you FPS at very low flying, but there is no grass at higher of course.

furbs
07-07-2011, 01:28 PM
The way the waving trees are rendered at low level looks odd and pixelated and adds nothing, plus it must take up resources that could be better used in making them bloody collideable.

Walshy
07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
The way the waving trees are rendered at low level looks odd and pixelated and adds nothing, plus it must take up resources that could be better used in making them bloody collideable.

Try turning the trees off then and problem solved.

Skoshi Tiger
07-07-2011, 02:07 PM
What was the wind speed?

Baron
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Strange

In IL2 1946 the trees wave about with no flickering !!

Speed trees are different............ but the flickering is the shadow render ?

I had/have flickering shadows with Nvidia in 1946 at certain settings. Cant be sure but it seems to correspond with AA and AF settings in the control panel. In other words, the Gpu driver.

Orpheus
07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I think waving is no reason for flikering because they only wave in close.

Trees are not waving when you see then higher altitude but shadows still flickering.

It's just like grass, it only hog you FPS at very low flying, but there is no grass at higher of course.

Kankkis is right, the trees moving in the breeze and the trees/shadows flickering are two different things. Would love to see the flickers fixed, it's quite immersion breaking.

Walshy
07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I had/have flickering shadows with Nvidia in 1946 at certain settings. Cant be sure but it seems to correspond with AA and AF settings in the control panel. In other words, the Gpu driver.

You're right on the money with that mate I remember even back to the original IL-2 new driver releases usually screwed with something in the game to point that new core.dlls would be released to help solve the issue. And if my memory does serve me right when Paciific fighters was released there was a big problem with ATI cards rendering the sea black at times and from certain viewing angles on some peoples rigs and on others rendering the sea black constantly from all angles and views. So I'd say and be putting my money on a gpu driver issue as well.