PDA

View Full Version : FMB - Planes do not engage

Nepe_EAF51
07-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi all

Starting to get the hang of the FMB, I have some C# experience so I thought I would give it a try.

Anyway, the problem is that I canĀ“t make the fighters engage each other. I set a Spit and a 109, Ace level, Waypoint 0 is "Normal Flight", the rest (4 or 5 more) all next to each other, "Engage fighters". When the fighters merge they should be already in "Engage Fighters" mode. But they do not engage, they just keep on rudder-turning next to each other.

Am I missing something?

TIA

Ataros
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Do you assign the enemy group as target with a mouse?

If it does not help it may be a bug.

Try setting Free Hunt as objective.

Nepe_EAF51
07-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Thank you Ataros, for this and all the other messages about scripting, very useful.

Yes I've tried setting the target, using Free Hunt, changing the Spit for a Blenheim and the wps for the 109s as Engage Bombers...nothing.

But in the campaigns the fighters do engage, right? I think I'll have a look at some of the campaign's missions.

esmiol
07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
if your first waypoint is a normal fly, your secondary waypoint is engage fighter and the both plane cross between first and second point that won't work.

because your plane will receive order to attack fighter only in the second point.

another thing... if plane are too distant they can just not seen each other.

Nepe_EAF51
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you esmiol. Ive tried that too, I set the first Engage wps before the merge (so both fighters already arrived to the first Engage wp before crossing), then I set a few wps more, always "Engage Fighters", and close to each other.

Looking in externals you can see how the 109 makes small movement like he is going to attack, but inmediatly changes back to "Normal Flight" mode.

SEE
07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I have just been looking at a mission in a campaign that I downloaded. This mission worked fine and the ac were attacking without problems - what caught my eye was that all the waypoints for a BF109 group were set to Normal flight. Other groups had 'free hunt' set and these atacked as well.

JG53Frankyboy
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
i had the same experience - let the flights fly headon eachother on "free hunt".
They just ignored echaother.

anyway, i gave up missionbuilding in CoD (after 8 years in IL2 and hundreds of COOP missions for VOW).

Nepe_EAF51
07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
OK, Ive managed to make them engage each other, after looking at one of the campaign missions.

The trick is to do the opposite of what seems "normal"; as "normal" I understand the same thing regarding wps that esmiol proposed.

First wp is normal flight, 2nd is engage, make the fighter merge before they arrive to the engage wp.

Strange, contrary to common sense, at least IMO, but it works that way.

Thee_oddball
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
there is a bug :( plus the time stamps dont match either :( i had the spits attack the 109's but they went after the bombers...which were farther away .

S!

_79_dev
07-05-2011, 11:14 PM
~S~

I had this problem as well, but now it seems to work strange way:

- I set up waypoints in FMB, lets say for 109 to attack group of spitsts,
- 109 at the merge waypoint have "engage fighters" and target "set" for spits
- spits have "cover" waypoint set so no targets

So situation lookks that 109 egage Me first, while I am in a hurricane and in diffrient group, after one pass 109 goes for Spits the way it should ....lack of discipline even 109 set skill to ace

Now second thing that drive me crazy is that i cant set ju87`s for dive bombing attack even after setting targets, waypoints for "dive bombing" with "ground attack - target", the only way i can force theme to drop bombs is setting waypoint to "ground attack - area" wich goes automaticly and bobs are droped at the waypoint in level attack....

any ideas??

i was trying diffrient weapon sets, detonators, speeds and alltitudes..

_79_dev
07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
~S~

Its ok I sorted out my problem with Stukas ...

41Sqn_Banks
07-06-2011, 04:20 AM
~S~

Its ok I sorted out my problem with Stukas ...

And the solution was?

machoo
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
The ai are about as intelligent as a meat ant.

_79_dev
07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
And the solution was?

~S~

I build mission containg buildings and other objects aroud airport but i had no planes or any flak, anything static on the red side, I assigned target fo Stukas a hangar at the airport and apparently they did`t treat it like enemies, they drop bombs only when it if i set waypoint "groud attack - area" and they level bomb it.

Then I added few static aircraft over airport and assigned theme as targets for Ju87...That worked straight away...