PDA

View Full Version : Man of prey translation under way - need help

elk266
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
So while I was waiting for blue sun mod 1.8, i continued a playthrough of man of prey using yang33s machine translation. It's better than nothing but i can't make sense of the story so i started to make up my own based on the cut scenes.

Download the latest beta 0.6 version here (http://www.mediafire.com/?kqimilzjtlx57sd)

Check the readme for instructions

UPDATE on translation

Completed
All items/weapons
First 5 mission dialogues/cutscenes
Menu - not great but works fine
HUD
Character creation
Skills and Perks
First 30 journal entries

Needs work
The journal - I numbered each journal entry from 1 to 102, writing in entries as I interpreted the events and missions, so far only done up to 30.

If you want to help - post the number and a possible entry:

32 - I need to go to x and kill y because z.
33 - Killed everyone at y and rescued w, now i need to go back to q.

Then I can collate them and update the translation pack

World items - boxes/crates etc - have not been translated - causes too many errors/crashes

Big thanks to R@s for guiding on how to do this, first game modding i've ever done

Would love to hear if anyone actually uses this and would be happy to add any contributions to this pack to complete it. Thanks and enjoy.

R@S
07-02-2011, 08:51 AM
When using TC you need to keep the folder structure intact, the AZP pluging can't handle it otherwise. So if you need to put a file in a folder inside the AZP archive you need to copy the folder too. If the file inside the BMP.azp is in \BMP\HUD\file.tga you need to copy the BMP with the subfolders and files inside it.

I'm not familiar with the MoP file structure, but it might work similar to how 7.62 does. In that case you can leave your edited files outside the AZP archives and they will take presidence over the files inside them. Just make sure the have the same folder structure in the game folder as they had in the archive.

Good luck

ninjaklan
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
R@S, if I understand you correctly, youre saying we dont have to pack and unpack the AZP for every little modding change we make? Can i simply keep the files in folders in the same structure and the game will read those files over the ones in AZP?
I am asking this for 7.62

R@S
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeppers, as long as they keep their folder structure they will have the highest priority. Just remember to set all the texture files(TGA and DDS) to read only if they are outside an AZP archive or the game will eventually chew them to bits.

elk266
07-04-2011, 10:55 PM
After looking through the 7.62 file structure for comparison, it seems man of prey works differently, as the bmp folder of the game directory is almost empty. The only thing i can think of is that the game must extract and use the bmp archive while playing the game.
Anyway, i've given up on using the totalcommander azp plugin and am using the azp program from cmd to manually extract and re-pack, so far with some success.

Will update as I get more finished.

R@S
07-05-2011, 07:57 AM
A friend of mine checked it for me and the menu files you are looking for are inside the BMP.AZP archive. Just extract the BMP\HUD\E10_MENU\ folder and look for the MENU0.TGA, MENU1.TGA and MENU2.TGA files, those are the ones that needs translating. These are only for the main screen, the other ones are located in other folders in the HUD older, the folder names should give you a clue about what's what.

elk266
07-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I've been working on the files you mentioned, but as a photoshop noob, I'm struggling to get my edited images displaying properly. It seems there is an alpha channel that displays some russian text and I can't work out how to change/hide it. The result is that the menu has russian and english and looks crap.

I've spent ages on this and need some direction. I know nightprowler has photoshop skillz as he did a great job of 7.62. Care to share some tips?

Anyway, got most of the mission dialogues and cutscenes translated up to mission 4, will take a break as I indulge in some bsm 1.8!! Awesome work R@s

R@S
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
In the small window where you select which layer you want to edit there's a tab called channels, at the bottom of that you can find the alpha channel. A little trick when working with this is to use the magic wand on the other channels to get the selection you want and the switch to the alpha channel and make the slection transparent(white) or not(red).

I hope that makes sense:)

elk266
07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Overall the translation is going well, just very slowly.

I will post up my modified files soon, just doing some testing.

One interesting thing is that there must have been multiplayer ideas at one stage because there is quite a bit of work done on it.

But like some other missions, items and stuff I've come across, it didn't make it into the final game. I loved playing brigade e5 multi, even if it was limited.

Iamvirus
07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
So while I was waiting for blue sun mod 1.8, i continued a playthrough of man of prey using yang33s machine translation. It's better than nothing but i can't make sense of the story so i started to make up my own based on the cut scenes.

UPDATE on translation

Completed
Most items/weapons
First 5 mission dialogues/cutscenes
Menu - not great but works fine
HUD
Character creation
Perks

Needs work
The journal - this thing is a mess of English, can't make sense of it yet so need to play through more and write it myself
World items - boxes/crates etc - i get crashes when trying to change these, not really important
Fine tuning a lot of machine translated crap - time consuming but getting there

The game is now quite playable, but following the story is tricky at best
I will upload my text files, picture files and instructions next week when hopefully i've finished the game if i can work what to do next.

Big thanks to R@s for guiding on how to do this, first game modding i've ever done

Hey man, the stuff you already translated can be installed in the game? If possible, we move on to what you've done, I'm playing, but do not know anything about Russian.

Another thing, where I find the "yang33s machine translation" ?

elk266
07-23-2011, 04:47 AM
My beta translation pack has been uploaded. It's not near complete but anyone should be able to play through the whole game, just don't expect to understand the whole storyline. I spent a ton of time trying to fix the first 5 mission dialogs and cutscenes, not a bad start i think.

Be sure to let me know about mistakes/errors. I'll compile them and release an updated pack when I get more done.

Also, let me know if the voice-over videos and subtitles work, i get about half-way through and it slows to a crawl, even with a clean and unmodified install.

Fenyvest
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
elk266!
I am new on the Forum, but i'm excited about the tranlation you have done. I'm waiting for an english translation ower two year's ago. I can try it only on next week, because now i'm on holiday.
If you want i can help you with the buttons(graphic), because i'm not so bad with the Photoshop. Of course i did not see your work yet, so it may be better then i could ever do.

norrin
08-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Firstly, elk266 thank you for the amazing job you've done so far to translate this game - I can only imagine how long its taken you. I bought the game a few months back and tried playing it with yang33s translation before giving up not long after completing the tutorial as I really had no idea what was going on.

Last night I came across your translation and I can finally understand the opening cut-scene. Also having the English translations for the menus and buttons helps enormously.

One thing I did do when I got the game originally was to rewrite almost all the tutorial text so that it was easier for me to follow and the English expression flowed more smoothly. I notice your translation pretty much uses the machine translation for this section so if you're interested you can download my tutorial rewrite from here and use it if you think it helps: http://www.norrin.org/downloads/Marauder/Tutorial.rar

Dunno might save you some time (only goes up tutorial section 48 or there abouts).

Anyway if you have time keep up the great work.

Best wishes,

norrin

PS: This game works wonderfully well with NVidia's 3D vision system.

elk266
08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks norrin, i'm glad someone has downloaded it and found it helpful. I will add your work to my pack for the next release.
I could never make sense of half of this game, so i pretty much made up stuff to suit the cutscenes, i think it works so far.

CURRENTLY WORKING ON
Journal entries
Dialogues within the bazaar
Dialogues and cutscenes after mission 5

Fenyvest
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
dear elk266
The translation works fine, and the work you done is truly amazing. I'm at the mission 6. Everything is understandeble, only some journal entries are missing (from bazaar, and side quest no.2), so I am (and my friends) waiting for the next update.

If anything we can help, just ask! (we start to look through the subtitles - enemy1, enemy2, civilian...ect. - , maybe we can spot and change a few russina words that left there)

Fenyvest

elk266
08-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Hey Fenyvest,

Glad you are enjoying the game and the translation. I'm actually back at university full time now and have been playing either BSM1.8 or Deus Ex with the new graphic mod in my precious free time.

I doubt I'll get any more done with man of prey for a while. You are welcome to take over the project if you want, my pack contains everything you need.

Once I got the interface and weapons done it is possible to get through the game with the poor machine translation, just not as interesting. I will get back to it one day, I always come back to games like this after some time.

ninjaklan
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeppers, as long as they keep their folder structure they will have the highest priority. Just remember to set all the texture files(TGA and DDS) to read only if they are outside an AZP archive or the game will eventually chew them to bits.

Hm, I tried this just now, I placed the folder (named BlueSun.azp) with extracted files from the real AZP and I have set all the files and folder in it to read only but I get a crash when loading the game. Is there anything else I need to do here?

_12
02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi there.

I'd like to help you finish this project, please reply once you feel like continuing.

casper357
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Marauder has been officially released in English and 7.62 is way better than this shit (sadly).

_12
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
That's some great news. I searched for an English version of this game everywhere and all I got was this project and that other guy's google translation. Could you please tell me where you got a copy? I couldn't find it on publisher's web page and latest news are dated 2009.

D_F_N
02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
There is no english translated version of Marauder from the publisher. I cant say more since i havent tried the english translated version which may just be the import of elk266's work or transation from another fan or machine translation or a mix of all these.

_12
02-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I started working on this project meanwhile. PM me if you want to help, I'll need at least someone to revise my text since English is not my first language.

Milchknilch
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I just played Jagged Alliance Back in Action, which I'm not too fond of (e.g. really shallow game mechanics compared to 7,62). So I was looking for a successor to 7,62, read something about Man of Prey which lead me here.

Where can I actually buy a copy of the game? And for the translation, I'm no native speaker, too. Still, I offer you to proofread the translation and promise you not to add more mistakes ;)

And could someone please tell me if there is/will be a successor to 7,62? I'd really love to play it. Or maybe someone could recommend me some other good games comparable to 7,62.

void1984
03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
There's an official English language version of Man of Prey with translated subtitles. The translation if very dull thou comparing to what is spoken.

There was a successor to the 7.62, it was "7.62: Reloaded", but hasn't been released outside Russia and it's neighbors.
I haven't played it.

As Apeiron has bankrupt, there won't be any similar game anytime soon.

_12
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Hey Milchknilch, check your PMs for details on what you can do to help.

And can anyone provide me with a link to any info on official English version? Google and Buka have failed me here and I seriously doubt it even exists.

void1984
03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I have mine offical english subtibles version from a magazine insert:
Play PC 1/2012 (http://www.playpc.pl/magazyn/play-12012-w-kioskach-od-jutra)
http://www.playpc.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/play_2012_1_dvd.jpg

_12
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I take it you didn't like this translation? Who made it? Was it official? Subtitles only, no voice?

void1984
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Thank god, it was subtitles-only translation. That's much cheaper anyway.
It seems to be done by the game owner (Buka?), as a magazine like that don't do translations themselves, because of the costs. That's even more true, as it's an english translation, not a polish one.

My russian language skill is too low to play the russian version without trouble, but enough to clearly see that the translation is very dull. Original dialouges have more "live" in them.

If I knew where the dialogue files are located I could send them. That's a good base for translation.

Worbah
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Which version is this of? It'd seem that even the game UI has been translated. Tried to visit Buka's site, but no luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_boy3e76eo

_12
03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
This is probably the same version void1984 got. Nice find, all the videos I've seen were from Russian version.

JackintheBox
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I also played the translated version after somone alerted me to its existence.
Its pretty good, considering the difficulty that translating russian has in it´s self.

All the UI and text is translated, some retarded things here and there but i understood everything. The russian voice is still there with english subs.

I really tried getting a hold a legal copy or any info but no dice.
BuKa directed me to a small polish publisher but they didnt give me any info.
Now, i really have to try to get a hold of that gaming mag it seems.

For those interested just google man of prey + prophet.
The box art seems very legit, even with a "games for windows live" seal on one version.
A small thing though, in my version i could not load grenade launchers.
Had to fix one of the item tables, the Vog nades were not translated.
The funny thing is, the german version of 7,62 had exactly the same mistake.
:D

monizar81
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

How to play Man of Prey at Full screen (mine is 1920x1080)?

monizar81
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
how to make auto camera follow the hero?

_12
08-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Not much point translating this now that it has been translated. You can get what has been done so far from http://marauder-en.googlecode.com/files/mop_en_a.zip if you want.

Oh, and you can set resolution in Config.e8c

Medic948
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Ive dowloaded zip from your link but how do you install/play?

BTW ive tried my best to fing 7.62 reloaded in the UK but no luck.

Ta

_12
08-18-2012, 07:56 AM
You install the game, then you unpack that zip into the game's folder replacing files.