PDA

View Full Version : What about BoB at night?

Flyby
12-16-2007, 05:24 PM
How dark will darkness be in BoB? As a reference, I recall how pitch-black it was in trying to trap onto a carrier in Janes F/A-18 Super Hornet. Man! That was darkness. Alternately, I never could seem to find that kind of darkness in IL2. I've seen real darkness at sea on a dark and cloudy night, and it's like staring into a void. I guess it must be similar to flying oevr wide open land spaces with no artificial or natural light sources outside the cockpit, But I don't know that for certain. Anyway it would be nice if BoB had really, really dark nights. Just asking about it. That's all
Flyby

1.JaVA_Sharp
12-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I would think that would depend on how far Oleg tends to go in BOB. Will he go for the BOB that ends with the Blitz of London or will he cut it out earlier.

SlipBall
12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I sugested that in the condition 's editer, we have the ability to set the moon phase....new moon phase would be dark as hell

Flyby
12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I sugested that in the condition 's editer, we have the ability to set the moon phase....new moon phase would be dark as hell

Sounds good to me. I hope someone at 1C is listening.
Flyby

bhunter2112
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
We have all received virtually no info about this game. I am hopeing that it comes out in 08 but who knows. No web site, no in game video, no nothing. Just a few screen shots and plane shots. I am entering I believe the fourth year hearing about and waiting for BOB.
This is not the Manhattan Project - it is a PC game- let us know what is going on!

Flyby
12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
We have all received virtually no info about this game. I am hopeing that it comes out in 08 but who knows. No web site, no in game video, no nothing. Just a few screen shots and plane shots. I am entering I believe the fourth year hearing about and waiting for BOB.
This is not the Manhattan Project - it is a PC game- let us know what is going on!
No soup for you! We wretched bloody few who wait for the second coming of Oleg do not endorse your rant one iota. Well...maybe just a little, BUT not where it shows! We are the faithful, and what Oleg fails to say goes without question! :D In-game videos! Who needs them? :mad:
OK. bhunter. I see your point. I was just having a little fun. No offense (hope I don't get banned!) I'd like news to come at a higher frequency,and at this point, an up-to-date video can't hurt for keeping the sim community interested. I think public relations is part of "keeping busy". If I were waiting for a meal at a resturant I'd expect the waiter to come out and let me know if the meal was going to take a little longer than anticipated in getting to me. But I'm not Russian, and don't claim to know their customs. So I wait, like everyone else.
Meanwhile, hey Oleg, how dark will night time be in BoB?
Flyby

RAF_Leigh
12-18-2007, 05:57 AM
mabey its taking so long because its a series so BOB north africa (i dunno but something) and they want to bring them all out quicker like evry 2-3 months or something and they dont want us to wait this long as we have already

meh its my oppion

Jagdwaffe
12-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I agree with bhunter2112. I'll go further and say it is a farce that we have no release date, not even an estimate, and no REAL in game screenshots. There is no Storm Of War forum here - this the IL-2 Sturmovik forum.
Will BoB be out in 2008? Who knows? There's a lot of speculation that's all. Oh and don't tell me to shut up - I'm entitled to my opinion just as anyone else.

RAF_Magpie
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree with bhunter2112. I'll go further and say it is a farce that we have no release date, not even an estimate, and no REAL in game screenshots. There is no Storm Of War forum here - this the IL-2 Sturmovik forum.
Will BoB be out in 2008? Who knows? There's a lot of speculation that's all. Oh and don't tell me to shut up - I'm entitled to my opinion just as anyone else.

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2007/10/x-files-2.jpg

Flyby
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey guys,
We seem to have devolved into a discussion about no news of BoB. Well that's OK with me. I'd like the developers to repond to my original question of this thread. I can see that if they were to do that they might be in a position to respond to the other concerns here. I can understand the frustration, especially when the anticipation of the release is very strongly sustained. People are growing tired of waiting, and at this point want anything in the way of news.
I wonder if somewhere along the way Oleg just got burned out and took a long break?

Antoninus
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
I have made the experience that darkness in Il-2 greatly depends on your monitor. With my ancient CRT I couldn't see anything at night, except light sources. Since I bought a TFT the landscape is almost as visible as during daytime, even the colours. Completly the opposite experience than flying through the arctic night in FSX. I hope in BOB it will be similar.

LEXX
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
On a moonless night, you should see nothing outside the player aircraft but light sources. On a night with a good moon phase, you should see some terrain or white clouds below, especially snow covered terrain.

RAF vs Reich defense TARGET FOR TONIGHT (cancelled) Developer interview...

page 2....

Cat: How will you be able to portray a night-time flying game? Won't the player get lost in a sea of black? What'll she see in-game? Will tracers have different colours, like in IL-2 Sturmovik, for example?

Eddie: This is a very common concern, but I don't believe it should be a problem. Even on a moonless night there is some light, it's just you don't tend to notice it when you're surrounded by bright lights because your night vision is ruined. If you're stuck in the dark for hours on end, you'll find that you can actually see a remarkable amount. We're going to model night adaption, so if you have a large explosion close in front, you may find that your vision is temporarily impaired. Also there will be the Aurora Borealis (we thought of it before Microsoft announced it was in FS2002!), accurate stars to allow for navigation, fire, tracers, flak, searchlights, flares, "FIDO" (a system to clear fog where perforated pipes were laid alongside runways, filled with petrol, and then set alight!), and so on. It will be far from dull!

~ http://www.womengamers.com/interviews/t4t.php

Viking
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I recall a conversation with Oleg in the good old days when he frequented ORR, the topic was nightfighters. Oleg claimed, correctly in my opinion, that very few users would be interested in a game where you had to fly blind, on instruments only, for hours, led by a voice until the very last moment when you homed in using radar or a faint visual image, fire a burst and then, depending on if you hit or not, repeat it over again. How many hours will even the aficionados spend in that game?

A correct moon phase and star map for the BoB almanac, 10 July to 15 September, is expected. But the time of year indicates that the nights will not be pitch black.
Later on, further north, different story.

Avimimus
12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I think Oleg underestimates the appeal of night combat. With the exception of U-2s, Li-2s and German bombers late in the war it was not very significant on the Russian front. But for members of the Commonwealth, it is about 60% of the air war we read about and know.

The fact is Oleg knows relatively little about night combat (as evidence, he modeled night vision from searchlights but had eyesight recover within five seconds - it should be five minutes!)

Night combat isn't just about instrument flying and vectoring, it is also about visual navigation, correct timing, night landings, low level ground attack, target marking, freeform evasive maneuvers etc.

Who would want a B-17 sim after all? Navigation is fairly easy in daytime, the flight is straight forward once you get to altitude. Use of a single turret has little effect on your probability of survival. The box formation prevents most evasive maneuvers (including attempting to throw off flak. Most likely you will be killed by flak. The Norden is only used by the lead bomber (so you don't even get to bomb). Talk about boring!

skypilot
12-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Night combat would be excellent. :cool:

1.JaVA_Sharp
12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I recall a conversation with Oleg in the good old days when he frequented ORR, the topic was nightfighters. Oleg claimed, correctly in my opinion, that very few users would be interested in a game where you had to fly blind, on instruments only, for hours, led by a voice until the very last moment when you homed in using radar or a faint visual image, fire a burst and then, depending on if you hit or not, repeat it over again. How many hours will even the aficionados spend in that game?

A correct moon phase and star map for the BoB almanac, 10 July to 15 September, is expected. But the time of year indicates that the nights will not be pitch black.
Later on, further north, different story.

to add to that, the RAF had a virtually none existent nightfighting capabillity in '40. Experienced pilots were allowed to try nightflying though and had to work with searchlights from the ground to even find their targets.

jasonbirder
12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Navigation is fairly easy in daytime

??? It might be in IL2 but it certainly wasn't in real life! Especially with the weather that is typical over North West Europe

JG52Uther
12-20-2007, 11:26 AM
??? It might be in IL2 but it certainly wasn't in real life! Especially with the weather that is typical over North West Europe

Remember the great 'Kenley' raid in the Battle of Britain,a group of specially trained airmen in Do17's flying all the way from France to Kenley in the UK at very low altitude to bomb the airfield!Amazing stuff!
Nightfighting was a big percentage of the war in the air,and it would be great to have it in SoW one day.
Bit O/T but a shame Oleg has said the Do17 will be ai only. From what I have read it made up 25% of the LW bomber force in the BoB.

Zorin
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't think the Do family will remain AI only. It lasted on in so many versions that it would be a real shame. Just think of Do217s with Hs293 or Fritz X launching on naval targets in the Mediterranean :)

JG52Uther
12-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Last time I spoke to him,admittedly some months ago,he stated that the Do17 would be ai only.Hopefully that position has changed since then.It would be a real shame to not have this important plane.

F19_Klunk
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM
when I find the time to play around with FS2004, night flying with ILS is one of my favourites... difficult as hell when not used to it, I can only imagine how difficult it was back then...

JG52Uther
12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
A 'nightfighter/bomber add on' for SoW might have more sales than they think!.