PDA

View Full Version : Talking BS - Brando's BIOS flash

brando
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I just heard that I will be going into hospital next month to undergo a procedure known as Deep Brain Stimulation. A surgical team will bolt a metal halo to my skull and scan my brain using several different methods to produce a stereotactic image. On the next day they will implant two micro-electrodes deep in the two areas that have been observed to regulate pain signals and then wake me up and switch me on.
Hopefully; well, many things
1) they're not running their computers on Vista
2) I don't wake up to a BSOD
3) it does something to alleviate this sensation of having my hand immersed in a chip-fryer! It's twelve years now and I've about had enough. It's bad and made even worse as it's felt in the hand and arm that I no longer have.

Pain as we mostly know is part of the body's involuntary defences. Put your hand in a chip-fryer and you'll pull it out again pdq as soon as you feel pain. Various mechanisms kick in as the body tries to escape: adrenalin surges, like when people will shift weights that they could never lift in normal circumstances, and natural endorphins flood the system to reduce pain and increase survival chances. It's a common theme of agricultural accidents. Last one around here was a guy who drove 20 miles with his severed arm still in the bale of hay that the machine had been making when he got trapped!

I won't go on. It's a pretty desperate situation and I'm willing to undergo this radical, leading-edge intervention if there's half a chance of receiving some relief that might make living easier. Even if I could stop using the drugs that turn my memory into a colander it would be positive.

It's funny to think that I might be running a dual-core brain if I make it back from this tricky mission. It's more alarming to think that I might not come back at all.

So I came here to say 'au revoir' to the people that I've flown with, argued at, and generally spent time enjoying IL2 with. I especially want to thank Oleg for the inspiration that set him off on producing what must be the best combat prop-sim ever made and all the unselfish time he's put in to support it, and the same thanks goes to the whole dev team that brought it about. Maybe someone here will pass that sentiment on for me?

I hope I make it back in better shape than I'm leaving. It's been fun all the way from the day I bought IL2 Sturmovik and I'd dearly like to be around for the rest of the ride.

Go well people

Brando

JG52Uther
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Gawd Brando,all I can do is wish you the best of luck!
My mate's been in Oswestry for about 6 months now waiting on an operation site to heal (the joys of motorcycles,brick walls, and wheelchair living).
Then again,because he has had no access to beer and fags,he looks healthier than he has done for years!
Come back when you can and let us know how you got on.I hope this op works better for you than the last one did.

zapatista
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
good luck brando !

that surgical procedure is a fairly regular procedure now, but is only done by a few surgeons and has a very good success rate.

just think of the nice nurses that will come to give you a sponge bath during your stay in hospital :)

GOZR
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Hope the best for you..

madsarmy
12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Wishing you all the very best brando

crazyivan1970
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
All the best mate, good luck!

Monguse
12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Brando

All the best sir. I look forward to those coops Pedro and you put up.

You sir, will be sorely missed while you are getting better.

'Guse

DD_crash
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

Rebel Yell
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
God bless and keep you (and the whole medical team) and bring you the healing and comfort you need.

Shrike_UK
12-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I think your name rings a bell from many many years ago when we all flew on the ubi dedicated servers (yes they did exist)

I wish you all the best for a speedy recoverry fellow pilot. :)

btw, make sure they fit Wireless instead of RJ45 socket.

DuxCorvan
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Good luck, m8! We'll see you in February! ;)

MaXMhZ
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Best of luck brando!

Bearcat
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Geeze Louise .... God Bless ....... Keep the faith man... I'll talk to Daddy tonight.. I'm sure he knows already though...

PBNA-Boosher
12-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Good luck mate! We'll be wishing for your recovery.

Targ
12-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Good luck to Brando and I hope all goes well!

Snuff_Pidgeon
12-12-2007, 05:32 AM
All the best hope things go well in da Future.

wgvette
12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
Brando-
All the best and a speedy recovery.

Old_Canuck
12-12-2007, 06:21 AM
I'll stand with those who are already praying for you, Brando. You'll be back on that motorcycle in no time.

F19_Klunk
12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
we truly hope for a successful procedure and speedy recovery!

Ploughman
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow, sounds very sci-fi. Bet you're anxious but I hope it works out so you can lose the phantom pain. Good luck!

FoolTrottel
12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Good Luck B.!

T_O_A_D
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
By all means Brando, I wish you the absoulute Best luck, and a speedy recovery back to us in full.

It amasing just what they can do for people these days concerning the Brain.

I nearly lost a long time friend a couple years back, to an Aneurysm and now he is actually one of my employees, driving and working on heavy equipment 5 days a week.

I have high hopes for you sir!

Blairgowrie
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Very best of luck on this Brando m8 from all the Danger Dogz. You are one brave lad.

Never did get to fly with you but after your recovery for sure.

carguy_
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I can remember you since I fly IL2.

I wish you luck.

mondo
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
best of luck and a speedy recovery too you.

WillyVic
12-12-2007, 01:01 PM
The very best to you Brando.

WV

Zoom2136
12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Take care, and all the best.

Divine-Wind
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Good luck, Brando! Remember to turn off your 2nd core from time to time - They can be finicky buggers I hear. ;)

Seriously mate, all the best. We'll be praying for ya.

RockStar
12-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Good thoughts heading your way sir. Rock on, be strong.

Waldo.Pepper
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Fingers crossed for you.

Wildcat_drvr
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Thumbs Up to ya Brando as they say in the Movie Bizz. "Break A Leg"

BSS_Sniper
12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I just heard that I will be going into hospital next month to undergo a procedure known as Deep Brain Stimulation. A surgical team will bolt a metal halo to my skull and scan my brain using several different methods to produce a stereotactic image. On the next day they will implant two micro-electrodes deep in the two areas that have been observed to regulate pain signals and then wake me up and switch me on.
Hopefully; well, many things
1) they're not running their computers on Vista
2) I don't wake up to a BSOD
3) it does something to alleviate this sensation of having my hand immersed in a chip-fryer! It's twelve years now and I've about had enough. It's bad and made even worse as it's felt in the hand and arm that I no longer have.

Pain as we mostly know is part of the body's involuntary defences. Put your hand in a chip-fryer and you'll pull it out again pdq as soon as you feel pain. Various mechanisms kick in as the body tries to escape: adrenalin surges, like when people will shift weights that they could never lift in normal circumstances, and natural endorphins flood the system to reduce pain and increase survival chances. It's a common theme of agricultural accidents. Last one around here was a guy who drove 20 miles with his severed arm still in the bale of hay that the machine had been making when he got trapped!

I won't go on. It's a pretty desperate situation and I'm willing to undergo this radical, leading-edge intervention if there's half a chance of receiving some relief that might make living easier. Even if I could stop using the drugs that turn my memory into a colander it would be positive.

It's funny to think that I might be running a dual-core brain if I make it back from this tricky mission. It's more alarming to think that I might not come back at all.

So I came here to say 'au revoir' to the people that I've flown with, argued at, and generally spent time enjoying IL2 with. I especially want to thank Oleg for the inspiration that set him off on producing what must be the best combat prop-sim ever made and all the unselfish time he's put in to support it, and the same thanks goes to the whole dev team that brought it about. Maybe someone here will pass that sentiment on for me?

I hope I make it back in better shape than I'm leaving. It's been fun all the way from the day I bought IL2 Sturmovik and I'd dearly like to be around for the rest of the ride.

Go well people

Brando

My brother has been dealing with this for the past several years. He finally had the surgery you're speaking of and they finally cut the nerves to stop that pain.

Insuber
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Brando,

All my sympathy, human proximity and best wishes for your surgery. Come back soon and healthy!

Regards,
Insuber

BadAim
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
You are in my prayers, both for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Wolf_Rider
12-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Best of luck ol' son...
try traditional Chinese acupuncture

brando
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Thank you for all the support and good wishes. It's hard to define why, but I shall feel more confident knowing that a group of people are thinking kindly of me as I, er, fly off into uncharted territory.

The scary element concerning brain surgery is hard to shake off. While we can see the brain as a kind of super CPU, with people in my situation suffering from a 'broken switch' or two, it's also the container for the entity who calls himself Brando. He has his peculiarities but I've grown used to him over the last 58 years ;) And I don't want to have to learn to fly all over again!

Thanks too for the advice about treatments. You may be sure that I have explored all sorts of therapies in my search. For the (perhaps irrational) reason mentioned above, this really is a place of last resort for me.
I am indeed an advocate of traditional Chinese acupuncture and I have received much benefit from it over the years, but sadly there is no part of the technique that can touch the core problem of severed nerves. I will certainly look to have a session though, to firm myself for the stay in hospital, and I appreciate the reminder.

I really laughed about the sponge baths! My wife is a nurse, and also a university lecturer in Nursing, and you can be certain that she'll be turning on her 'Matron's eye' if any pretty young nurses turn up carrying sponges. She has the ability to arch one eyebrow, she does a good impression of Spock from Star Trek, and it's almost as scary as brain surgery! :D

I hope to be around in Hyperlobby over the festive season. I'll be scaling back after then, primarily to get my body clock aligned with GMT rather than transatlantic time. Valda will be emailing Pedro to keep him up-to-date with progress when the time comes.

Thank you all

B

GF_Mastiff
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
41 years of as I'm of currently. I also have had surgery or 2 and wish you the best and you should be fine with todays technical advancements in brain surgery.

Divine-Wind
12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't blame you, Brando... I'd be scared pantless at the thought of people poking around my grey matter.

Billy885
12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
God be with you Brando and you will be in my prayers.

If Pedro passes info on to me I will be sure to keep you all posted here in this thread.

JG6_Express
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Looking for your speedy recovery and return so we can fly more Co'ops together again m8.

~S~

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Remember brando, you can flash your BIOS from a cd now, don't trust those shifty floppy discs!!!

Pedro
12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Yo! B,

No worry Wingy.. I will be perched at your 4 covering your six, making sure you have a clean shot, and arrive home safely for your afternoon tea.

I have connections.. :-)

God Bless my friend

P

335th_GRAthos
12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Good luck with the surgery Brando !

When you are back online, if I see you flying "overmodelled" I will know the reason...

~S~

brando
12-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Good luck with the surgery Brando !

When you are back online, if I see you flying "overmodelled" I will know the reason...

~S~

Thank you Grathos!

I had been thinking of asking the surgeon to fit permanent mounts for a TrackIR array, while he has a drill in his hands ;)

B

Billy885
02-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Got this email third hand and thought I would pass it on. It is from Brando's wife. My prayers are with him.

Hi

Ross (Brando) asked me to email you to let you know he is OK. He came through surgery without complication and the implant is in place.

He is due home on Tuesday for a 6 week recovery before any effect can be judged - he has to wait for the cerebral inflammation to reduce.

But he is OK and that's the main thing.

Best wishes
Valda

Feathered_IV
02-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Made my day. Great news :!:

BadAim
02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Wooo hoooo!

FoolTrottel
02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
That's good to hear!

JG52Uther
02-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Great stuff!

Pirschjaeger
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Good News Indeed!!!

While you were gone SOW was released and we're on the 5th patch.:grin:

madsarmy
02-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Thats fantastic news

KG26_Alpha
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Get well soon M8

From all the 26'rs

4H_V-man
02-25-2008, 02:30 AM
That is WONDERFUL news! Brando has been a great help to me in the past and seems to be a great guy. I'm glad to hear his procedure went well. Give him our best!

Crop-Duster
02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Very good news indeed!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Brando

See you on HL soon m8

Thunderbolt56
02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear the surgury was labeled a success. A long recovery period is often MORE challenging (as B already knows) and our thoughts will be with you mate.

Billy885
02-26-2008, 11:28 PM
From the man himself:

It's strange to be sat here writing to you all so soon after undergoing brain surgery.
I ain't going to write much yet but I thought you'd like to know how it is for me now.
It's literally 'early days yet' - and I have a lot of healing and resting-up to go - but I think the op can be counted as a success! 8-)

I have this pain. It sits there at my right side and burns just as brightly as ever it did. I can still feel all the same sensations of a phantom limb, but it just doesn't bother me. How weird is that?

I'm gonna quit now. Just thought I'd let you know how it is (not much success there!) and thank you all for your love, input, support, and so on.

Later,

B

FoolTrottel
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting that Billy!

DKoor
02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
:cool::grin: Good news.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Wow, that must be the oddest sensation, to be able to feel the pain just like before but not have it bother you, lol.

mondo
02-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Great news and get well soon.

rosaenrico
02-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Glad to hear Brando good news. Get well soon :)

335th_GRAthos
02-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I had been thinking of asking the surgeon to fit permanent mounts for a TrackIR array, while he has a drill in his hands ;) B

oh no, I think we are in trouble now....

Great news Brando all the best!

Billy885
03-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Email from Brando about the pictures I received:

Yes Billy, please do

regards

B

Billy885 wrote:
> Brando, I have been posting on your thread at forum 1C what I have
> received about you. I feel I need your permission to post these
> pictures there.
>
> Do I have it?
>
> Take care my friend, Billy
http://files.billy885.com/images/brando-1.jpg

http://files.billy885.com/images/brando-2.jpg
......... so I am taking it real easy!

Eckhart
03-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Good to hear that everything is ok Brando! :)

Have been away for quite a while and was waiting for some news. Now this BIOS flash should soon start to show some effect...

Cheers,

Eckhart

Baghr
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Good to hear when a surgery goes well. As I have lower back disc issues, I can understand the desire to get off the drugs and get rid of the pain. I hope all ends up with a pain free life.

Now, I'm still looking for the usb ports.....

Billy885
03-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Got this email from Brando, today:

Greetings to all!

It'll be a while yet before I can jump back into flying, so you can guess that I'm beginning to feel frustrated!
The fact is that I just keep feeling so damned tired and I'll be asleep at the drop of the proverbial hat. Not so good if I'm winging you - or leading you out into enemy-controlled airspace. Lol.

VJ assures me this is what a guy nearing 60 can expect to feel like just two weeks out of major surgery ;-)
I'm inclined to agree with her (she does pay the rent!) but I keep feeling my wings trying to grow through my shirt. I guess it ain't wise to argue with your nurse however, especially when you're married to her! So I'm still grounded for a week or two yet :-(
I did open up a map and place a set of vehicles on it however, and even saved the file, so I guess that's a start.

Medical-wise, things are OK. My head is pretty sore with the cabling snaking across it just below the skin. I guess it's better than trunking - and the old-fashioned technique of chasing out a channel is maybe a little severe -
but I could have gone for this_________
http://files.billy885.com/files/brando1.jpg
TrackIR taken care of - wired for sound - I guess I've just found my new pilot skin :-D

Thanks for the letters, links, missions, skins that you have been sending me. I've been catching up with a lot of this recently, but please excuse my not replying to each individual one at the moment. Don't stop posting though - I enjoy hearing what's going on out there.
I'm off for a tweaking session on Monday.

Cheers all and a relatively snappy salute (remembering NOT to bash the side of my head ;-) )

B

T_O_A_D
03-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Awsum News Brando, It's really good to see your back to posting, soon the virtual sky's will have you again.

Billy885
03-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Update:

Brando has returned to online game play with limitations imposed:

http://files.billy885.com/files/Brando_Returns.jpg