PDA

View Full Version : OT. RoF Campaign.

Langnasen
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
The new campaign mode is out for RoF and it's bloody superb. RoF is now very close to taking RB2's crown imo.

ATAG_Dutch
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
RoF is now very close to taking RB2's crown imo.

RB2??:confused:

adonys
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Red Baron 2

Chips86
06-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Whats the new campaign mode like? How does it differ from the one on there already? Do you have to pay for it?

Superluminal_8
06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Whats the new campaign mode like? How does it differ from the one on there already? Do you have to pay for it?

"This new Career will revive some of the gameplay which was so popular in "Red Baron 3D". Of course, we did not simply replicate a feature that has been developed before. Instead we have taken the most interesting aspects from the basic career concept and supplemented it with numerous new abilities and features as allowed by modern technology and the wider "Rise of Flight" platform."

It´s included,free,with the 1.019 patch.

Mattius
06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
IMO it took RB2's crown long ago...............;)

lighthaze
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
And additionally Rise of Flight basically is F2P since the newest patch. You get only two planes but can use and test the whole game for an unlimited amount of time.

Katkatman
06-08-2011, 09:35 PM
And additionally Rise of Flight basically is F2P since the newest patch. You get only two planes but can use and test the whole game for an unlimited amount of time.

Multiplayer included ?

Tree_UK
06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Luthier, play the ROF campaign, honestly this will show you what we want for CLOD, you can see that the ROF dev team listened to all those ideas we gave you in the ideas thread you created. If only you had listened yourself.:confused:

JimmyBlonde
06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Multiplayer included ?

Yup.

Career mode is teh schiznit btw.

JG14_Jagr
06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
You can DL RoF for free as of now... Go to their website and you can DL it and get flying online. You don't get all the aircraft, but the core game and a few AC.. other AC you can purchase if you like the game.. Interesting business model..

ParaB
06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Luthier, play the ROF campaign, honestly this will show you what we want for CLOD, you can see that the ROF dev team listened to all those ideas we gave you in the ideas thread you created. If only you had listened yourself.:confused:
+2

jg27_mc
06-08-2011, 11:29 PM

Although I consider CloD an unfinished piece of software... You all know that RoF was launched practically 2 years ago (17 June 2009). I don't think it's a fair comparison. :confused:

Salute.

Caveman
06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Although I consider CloD an unfinished piece of software... You all know that RoF was launched practically 2 years ago (17 June 2009). I don't think it's a fair comparison. :confused:

Salute.

+1

Tree, isn't it obvious the Development team has been working hard in the face of adversity...? Obviously all did not go exactly per plan. The progress that's been made in just a month is incredible... Can we appreciate that?

Are you 12 years old? Have you ever worked on a project that takes more than 3 days to complete? Are you an professional programmer?

Please... The repeated ignorance is tiring; please give the constant stream of barbs a rest.

GOA_Potenz
06-08-2011, 11:56 PM

+3

JG53Frankyboy
06-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Multiplayer included ?

well, actually there is no DEMO anymore.
You can download the GAME itself with all features.

The only limitation is that the "default" gameversion has now only two flyable planes (my original release version had only 4 planes btw :D ).
Btw, online the gunnerstations are also available !

So, download RoF. Play the game, online and offline.

And if you want fly additional planes, just purchase the desired one in the RoF store.

The RoF DEMO is dead, long live RoF free2play :D

and yes, if CoD makes a similar development in game quaility the next 2 years RoF made the last 2 years....it will be a hell of a game, in 2 years.

timholt
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM

+1+1+1+1=they got it right

Blackdog_kt
06-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Disclaimer: The following is not directed at anyone in particular. It's just the result of my amazement at one of the trends that keep surfacing in this forum.

People really have short attention spans. Like goldfish-short.

First of all, it took RoF two years to reach this state. It was as much of a train-wreck when it was released as CoD, with dual core CPUs giving unacceptable performance under win7, a mere handful of flyable aircraft, virtually no AI aircraft apart from two dual-seaters, limited viewing distances, some very strict and low limits on the amount of units and objects you can load in a mission resulting in a completely blank front line with scripted flak bursts appearing out of nowhere as an immersion enhancer and seemingly being fired from ghost flak guns, a simplified QMB, some stock single missions, a non-existent properly dynamic campaign apart from two scripted ones and a so-called dynamic one which was downloaded mission after mission from a master server (and you got stuck clicking on a "reconnect" button if your internet was down for some reason, or you could quit and have to refly the mission from scratch later on, losing all progress because it couldn't upload mission results to the master server) with most missions invariably playing the same way (target waypoint has 3 enemies to attack your flight of 5, if you go to another waypoint you can trigger an extra spawn of enemy recons), frequent inaccurate encounters (nieuport 17s against your flight of Fokker D.VIIs in 1917), a random cut-off/retirement date, lighting and graphics problems when flying at night, non-working features that were advertised before release like windsocks for example, a host of FM/DM issues that wouldn't get solved because the development team was too busy working on new flyables to sell in an effort to ensure a steady revenue stream and prevent the sim from flopping, etc etc etc......does it sound familiar to you, oh people of inadequate memory?

Second, nobody remembers Luthier talking about why the dynamic campaign was postponed for CoD, or the details he gave about it and how he has already compiled a few hundred pages of documents just dealing with the design of the whole thing, which was his personal undertaking.

Third, RoF got here by charging for every single itemized addition to the sim, from aircraft to personalized instrument panels. In IL2 we got free planes by the dozen and complete expansions packs and thankfully, it seems the trend of complete expansions will continue with CoD.

Fourth, there were people who bought all those things to keep the RoF development going. I wasn't one of them because i didn't want the online/offline restrictions and i prefer complete expansions to bits and pieces of DLC, but good for them for financially supporting something they enjoy and helping it grow. Now i might actually give it a proper try (for the fourth time) and see if i'm sufficiently interested and it's thanks to those guys.

If all of us were crybabies and everyone stopped flying CoD then compiling the necessary lists of bugs for correction, getting new skins, missions, campaigns and servers to fly on would be impossible.
So complain and express displeasure if you must but stop whining, because the possibility of whatever of RoF's features you so much crave to see in CoD getting implemented rests squarely on letting the willing part of the community spend their cash on the currently unfinished sim, tackle a lot of the current issues by investing their personal time in testing things out and get some proper communication going with the developers without having a "throwing my toys out the pram" episode every third post down the line.
In other words, say whatever you like but if you can't say it in a nice manner then zip it and let us help fix the game for you instead of delaying that process with your tsunami of tears, you are your own worst enemy if you can't realize this.

Finally, if you put all these together you'll realize that to draw an accurate comparison you'll have to assume the same amount of funding for 1C and a similar amount of post-release development time and community feedback to go along with it.

Sorry if i'm coming off a bit aggressive here, i think i can be excused for once since i'm usually behaving nice, posting walls upon walls of text to help people with various issues they might have, compiling a FAQ of it all to post once the US release happens and generally spending my time trying to make the sim more enjoyable to the legions of lazy people who can't take 5 minutes to test a few simple things out on their own or run a forum search, instead of letting them fend for themselves and enjoy CoD for myself during my free time. So yes, i think i might exercise the privilege to blow off some steam once in a while when people who contribute nothing of value do it daily :-P

ECV56_LeChuck
06-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Nice post Blackdog. Why is that so hard to understand?

csThor
06-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Nice post Blackdog. And fully ack.

I wonder if Maddox Games would take advantage of the knowledge of us users the same way 777/neoqb did with their campaign engine. ;)

150GCT_Veltro
06-09-2011, 05:28 AM
With 1.019 release actually Rise of flight is probably the best sim around, really a work of art, and you don't need a powerfull PC to run it with high graphic setting.....in DX9.

Comparison with CloD? No, there are not....not at all.

Yes, RoF has taken two years, but CloD how many? Six, seven?

Is true what has been written above: is time to learn somenthing from RoF.

However, time is our friend so we can only hope that CloD could be improved, reworked, completed ecc. ecc..

So, if you can, support it.

csThor
06-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Wrong, Veltro - RoF took two years after release to get to this point. Their start was just as rough ... ;)

150GCT_Veltro
06-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Yes, and CloD took 7 years before release.

csThor
06-09-2011, 06:29 AM
And how long did it take RoF to be released? Didn't they start over during development once, too? I vividly remember the acid comments on the state of RoF at release, they were essentially the same as those about CloD now ... Quite the double standards, or is it selective memory? ;)

I am not defending the state of CloD, mind you. I haven't spent any serious time in it. The historical setting doesn't really interest me, there's no single-player gameplay to speak of and there are issues wherever one looks. It's just that RoF was exactly the same when it came out. Don't forget that.

RCAF_FB_Orville
06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Yes, and CloD took 7 years before release.

Game, set, match. :grin:

Sorry chaps, but I was one of the first people in Europe to play ROF in the summer of 2009 (having it imported from the States) and I guarantee you it was nowhere near as bad as the calamitous CoD release. FACT. :grin:

Blackdogs points are largely true, the main problem being lack of content. The circumstances of release were seemingly quite similar in that they had to release as an economic imperative....IE it comes out now, or never.

But by and large, things actually worked. Frame rates were excellent on recommended specs, it was fully and well optimised for quad core rigs. Ridiculous promises were never made as to content, and customers were never led a merry dance up the garden path. That is the salient difference.

I remain hopeful CoD will be fixed, but the fact is that the majority of people don't like being taken for Mugs, and sadly that is what has occurred. Penny for your thoughts Mr Maddox?

Oh, hes done a runner. :grin: Can't say I blame him. I would probably be too embarrassed to show up too. 'Photo realistic terrain, be sure'. LMAO. Instead we get 'Adventures in LSD Tele-tubbie land'. (I'll probably get ban hammered for that lol....but its true and the Truth has many Martyrs :grin:.)

That said, I've had some fun with CoD.....some jaw droppingly good moments but not enough to sustain interest at all at present. Very poor show.

Get well soon, CoD. I'll send you some grapes.

150GCT_Veltro
06-09-2011, 06:57 AM
It's just that RoF was exactly the same when it came out. Don't forget that.

No, it isn't.
RoF was realeased with few stuff but with a solid engine. CloD is broken all around.

We'll see in the next two years, because two years are needed.

Doc_uk
06-09-2011, 07:04 AM
im downloading the demo so i can re-activate my game but ive forgoting my username password?
and ive tryd loging into the site, but there is no forgoting username password recovery? what gives, any help plz:(

159th_Jester
06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
im downloading the demo so i can re-activate my game but ive forgoting my username password?
and ive tryd loging into the site, but there is no forgoting username password recovery? what gives, any help plz:(

When you finish downloading, at the bottom of the game login screen there are links for login and password reminders. Never used them, but hopefully they'll work for you.

Tree_UK
06-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Game, set, match. :grin:

Sorry chaps, but I was one of the first people in Europe to play ROF in the summer of 2009 (having it imported from the States) and I guarantee you it was nowhere near as bad as the calamitous CoD release. FACT. :grin:

Blackdogs points are largely true, the main problem being lack of content. The circumstances of release were seemingly quite similar in that they had to release as an economic imperative....IE it comes out now, or never.

But by and large, things actually worked. Frame rates were excellent on recommended specs, it was fully and well optimised for quad core rigs. Ridiculous promises were never made as to content, and customers were never led a merry dance up the garden path. That is the salient difference.

I remain hopeful CoD will be fixed, but the fact is that the majority of people don't like being taken for Mugs, and sadly that is what has occurred. Penny for your thoughts Mr Maddox?

Oh, hes done a runner. :grin: Can't say I blame him. I would probably be too embarrassed to show up too. 'Photo realistic terrain, be sure'. LMAO. Instead we get 'Adventures in LSD Tele-tubbie land'. (I'll probably get ban hammered for that lol....but its true and the Truth has many Martyrs :grin:.)

That said, I've had some fun with CoD.....some jaw droppingly good moments but not enough to sustain interest at all at present. Very poor show.

Get well soon, CoD. I'll send you some grapes.

+1 Thats how I remember ROF release. No way near as buggy/broken as CLOD. Some good points Blackdog but more aggression needs pointing in other directions, the customer didn't break this game.

Doc_uk
06-09-2011, 07:54 AM
When you finish downloading, at the bottom of the game login screen there are links for login and password reminders. Never used them, but hopefully they'll work for you.Thanks jester

csThor
06-09-2011, 08:00 AM
No, it isn't.
RoF was realeased with few stuff but with a solid engine. CloD is broken all around.

I vividly remember a lot of gripes about unacceptable framerates, stability problems and a generally rough running of the game but then this discussion is somewhat academic. Let's end it here, shall we? :)

machoo
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
The new campaign mode is out for RoF and it's bloody superb. RoF is now very close to taking RB2's crown imo.

Is ROF single player too?

RCAF_FB_Orville
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
I vividly remember a lot of gripes about unacceptable framerates, stability problems and a generally rough running of the game but then this discussion is somewhat academic. Let's end it here, shall we? :)

Nobody is saying it was plain sailing Thor, far from it. There were CTD problems for some users too but not to the extent of.....Nah, Nevermind. :grin: I'm going to heed your wise advice and stop, because there is no real point. I support both sims and wish them well. :)

Had to have my little rant though, feel better now. :grin:

Cheers.

Skoshi Tiger
06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
ROF can be downloaded, But as far as I could see you'll need to buy one of the appropriate aircaft to fly the new career modes.

If you can use this mode with the default plane set please tell me how.

ROF was unflyable on my machine when it first came out. I needed to upgrade to a quad core and modern graphics to make it fly at a reasonable frame rate. But if your into WWI aircaft it's as good as it gets at the moment!

Cheers

csThor
06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
BTW out of curiosity - is the new campaign mode still linked to their "online for offline" anti-piracy scheme?

150GCT_Veltro
06-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Maybe, but for me this is has not been pure "academic". :)

http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/COD05.jpg

However, we'll see...... I'm still waiting for CloD like you, even if i totally dislike the landscape (horrible fo rmy opinion), so i seriously doubt i will never like this BoB.

ARM505
06-09-2011, 08:32 AM
BTW out of curiosity - is the new campaign mode still linked to their "online for offline" anti-piracy scheme?

The new campaign cannot be played offline. You need to 'login online' as opposed to 'login offline' (?!?!) Yeah, don't get me started on the whole 'online' thing in ROF, the primary reason I never got it when it came out. It's still far too dependent on an internet connection, but that is just my opinion. It's an excellent sim.

159th_Jester
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
ROF can be downloaded, But as far as I could see you'll need to buy one of the appropriate aircaft to fly the new career modes.

If you can use this mode with the default plane set please tell me how.

Use the date/ year sliders at the top of the career start screen to select a later date. Select a squadron flying one of the default planes. Go fly.

Easy as that. :)

csThor
06-09-2011, 08:40 AM
The new campaign cannot be played offline. You need to 'login online' as opposed to 'login offline' (?!?!) Yeah, don't get me started on the whole 'online' thing in ROF, the primary reason I never got it when it came out. It's still far too dependent on an internet connection, but that is just my opinion. It's an excellent sim.

Too bad. :(

609_Huetz
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
A few very good points by Blackdog, however being a day one RoF customer, I must say that the game was much more stable, ran smoother and looked better than CloD does now. The feeling of actual flight still is second to none.

If you compare CloD to ROF, the former definately is the trainwreck.

What we must not forget is that CloD (due to the nature of a WW2 sim) is much more complex as far as DMs or the number of simulated modules are (CEM, weaponry, etc.). Of course, that puts a higher strain on our rigs, especially since the whole engine is (unlike RoF's engine by now) not streamlined to cope with everything all at once yet.

While RoF was playable and smooth with everything maxed from the start, I ask the guys that have been there to memorize what would happen with more than 9-12 aircraft in the vicinity at once directly after release.

There's a catch however: Instead of unjustifiedly comparing the two, why don't you go over to their website and download the free version? ROF can and will keep you busy until CloD is fixed and well beyond and it's FREE.

I doubt anyone in here would want to miss out on that experience or rather keep posting on a thread like this.

O_TaipaN
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Too bad. :(

Just to clarify, it's more than just anti-piracy although anti-piracy is very important these days (especially with all the people complaining about the measly $5 to buy a plane)

Online means they are able to fix minor career bugs day by day without needing to do a full test and release cycle of a patch.

It also means that your careers are partially linked with the careers of other players.

In the squadron room, you can see other pilots and their squadron's status, you can compare how well you lead your squadron to theirs.

Also being online works as an anti-cheating measure, because there is a comparison of scores etc for those who care about that.

Offline you can still play:
-single missions
-quick mission generator
-the 3 static campaigns

It's only career and multiplayer you need be online for.

Note if you lose your connection in a career mission, you don't lose progress. It gives you a warning and you can still go and land etc and it will update when your connection comes back.

csThor
06-09-2011, 09:26 AM
It's a question of principles for me. I don't like that approach, not one bit. Which is why I said too bad.

Skoshi Tiger
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Use the date/ year sliders at the top of the career start screen to select a later date. Select a squadron flying one of the default planes. Go fly.

Easy as that. :)

Cheers!

Oh! I tried but I guess I didn't far enough forward. Luckly I already had a Endercker so I could start the german campaign. :)

JG53Frankyboy
06-09-2011, 10:36 AM
i dont know whn the first Albatros DVa or SPAD13 campaign is available.
but here you you can find timeframes for the RoF aircraft :
http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14205

Sternjaeger
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think anybody here is saying that RoF is better guys..

I still have faith that Luthier and co will get things right in the end, but check out how thorough and clear the roadmap is on the patches and what not. I'm sure that the RoF example is a precious testbed for the guys at Maddox, and still we're talking about two different but somehow similar products.

609_Huetz
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think anybody here is saying that RoF is better guys..

I still have faith that Luthier and co will get things right in the end, but check out how thorough and clear the roadmap is on the patches and what not. I'm sure that the RoF example is a precious testbed for the guys at Maddox, and still we're talking about two different but somehow similar products.
Oh well, quite a few people said it (maybe not so bluntly) and I agree. If you have at least a slight interest in WWI aviation and are looking for a working product, RoF is the sim of choice and the better product currently.

159th_Jester
06-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Cheers!

Oh! I tried but I guess I didn't far enough forward. Luckly I already had a Endercker so I could start the german campaign. :)

It won't be too long before you run into a problem there I'm afraid mate. By late 1916/ early 1917 I think all the Jastas have changed over to Albatros DII and DIII's. When you get to that point you will most likely get an error message saying you don't own that plane.

I'm not sure what planes the free to play download has (is it the Spad XIII and Albatros DVa?)

I haven't checked the availablity of the DVa on the German side but I think you'll find the Spad XIII in French and US squadrons from about mid/late 1918.

159th_Jester
06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh well, quite a few people said it (maybe not so bluntly) and I agree. If you have at least a slight interest in WWI aviation and are looking for a working product, RoF is the sim of choice and the better product currently.

Currently, yes. But I think we need to give Luthier and his team credit for their abilities. It's going to take time for CoD to fulfill its potential, but I have every faith that at some stage it will do just that.

If you look at the initial release version and the current patch version, they've already acomplished a lot.

I would hope that given time, both RoF and CoD will both be seen as truly great flight sims.

I don't think CoD will be better than RoF at any stage...... But I do think it will be as good without doubt. I will admit, I prefer RoF. But that is simply my personal preference.

lion737
06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I hope CoD will get as far as RoF already did. Both sims are not competing against each other (WW1 - WW2). But at the moment I can only fly RoF without stutters and bugs.
BTW, what me disappointed most with CoD: the arcade style take offs and landings. When this is adressed, I will surely looking forward to fly traffic patterns at least :)