PDA

View Full Version : While waiting for US release, Rise of Flight's core-game is now free.

Feathered_IV
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
A friendly heads up regarding some really good news for the flight sim community which came out yesterday with the release of Rise of Flight's V1.019 patch. Especially for those champing at the bit for Cliffs of Dover to be released in the US and those waiting for performance and gameplay issues to be addressed.

777 Studios have made the current version of RoF free to play, with unlimited demo access to all game modes - including the new RB3D-style dynamic career system, plus the Spad XIII and Albatros DV as flyable. All AI allies and opponents are available. Gunner positions are also available free. The devs hope you'll download the demo, like it and stick around to buy some of the addon aircraft, thus fuelling further addons and development.

Pretty generous of them, and looks set to provide plenty more bums in seats for the online crowd. Even for offline, there's a lot to be had from all this without paying a cent. The Spad is arguably the best aircraft in the sim - the P-47 of it's day, while the DV is as ubiquitous as the 109 would one day be.

If you haven't got into it already but don't mind the sort of combat that is so close, you'll be picking bits of your opponents out of your teeth, you could do a lot worse than to go over the the Rise of Flight website and grab yourself a free copy of the core game with 777 Studio's compliments.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=20511

maclean525
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Making the game free to play was absolute GENIUS from 777 Studios. Jason is a smart man and knows how to run a railroad. Can't wait to try Career and am hoping the online lobbies fill up with guys more useless than me so I can actually shoot some folks down in my Sopwith Pup :)

DB605
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the headup. And for the good laugh too...;)

The Spad is arguably the best aircraft in the sim - the P-47 of it's day,

pupo162
06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
tahts indeed smart!

ill get itm just to mok it... and who knows... love it

Tiger27
06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Must say online is vastly better with the new long range view, no more having to zoom before you see other aircraft, really livens up the online action, well worth getting.

One thing I will say, is that ROF was bagged by many at release, no real online play, no campaign etc etc, much like CoD has been, now two years later it's looking to be one of, if not the best, WW1 sim ever, if we had all reacted like some of the more negative types, ROF wouldn't be here today, if we stick with CoD, I'm sure it will follow a similar path to ROF, the chiefs are friends so it wont be hard for Luthier to see (although Im sure he already has a fair idea) what can turn a botched release into the success that ROF has become.

skouras
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
i really enjoy the new update since yesterday:-)

ATAG_Dutch
06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Well, that's just typical of my luck.

I only bought the Iron Cross Edition plus additional aircraft a couple of months ago.........ah, well.

Agree it's an excellent move from 777, great for the community and also that it's an excellent game/sim.

Will take a look at the new update as soon as I get home. :)

ARM505
06-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I must be the unluckiest WW1 pilot ever - tried to start two campaigns, and during both 1st missions, got vapourised (I'm talking direct hit, fireball and matchwood) by random flak at medium altitude after completing the patrols. PITA. :)

777 seem to be onto something here.

Jumo211
06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow ! now I am gonna try ROF for the first time :grin:
Downloading.....

Thank you Feathered_IV for posting this :cool:

Skoshi Tiger
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I must be the unluckiest WW1 pilot ever - tried to start two campaigns, and during both 1st missions, got vapourised (I'm talking direct hit, fireball and matchwood) by random flak at medium altitude after completing the patrols. PITA. :)

777 seem to be onto something here.

They don't call us the "Twenty Minuters" for nothing! Woof!

With the new patch released I might actually get back into ROF to check out the campaign. I haven't been on line yet but if you see a 'Lord_FlashHeart' on line it's my rof login!

Damn! They're an evil bunch over there! My new Breguet is just downloading in the patch and then they tell us they're working on a Bristol Fighter! Ahhh!

jayrc
06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Good news:grin:

pupo162
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
uhmmm

jsut intalled but when i get into missiond press fly all i get is balck screen with map on right corner.... ideas?

edit: nvm, it worked out of the air...

it feels good, i will waste some time with it tonight

skouras
06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
try to press -P-
by default you begin in pause
just a though;)

kimosabi
06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Just a sign that 777 needs more players and also funding. It's called marketing.

swiss
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Just a sign that 777 needs more players and also funding. It's called marketing.

Business Model is the right term here.
Think of Gillette shavers, King Gilemette gave them away for free too, not the blades though. ;)

Troll2k
06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up Feathered IV.

A torrent d/l.At my current rate I should have it by Father's Day.

SlipBall
06-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks!...something new for awhile instead of staring at my cod on the top shelf, collecting some dust:grin:

RocketDog
06-08-2011, 09:20 PM
RoF is 100% worth a try if you've not tried it before. The new career mode is just the sort of thing that will save CloD in the end. I'd say that RoF is now the best combat flight sim ever released. If we're lucky CloD will follow the same path over the next few years.

Heinz Laube
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
hmm, im registered there since january, never tried ROF, now they got me...its getting quieter here (around CloDo) until US Release, anyway

SlipBall
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Anybody have a direct lint to the download, English:grin:

Space Communist
06-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Can the campaign be played co-op at all?

jimbop
06-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Well, that's just typical of my luck.

I only bought the Iron Cross Edition plus additional aircraft a couple of months ago.........ah, well.

Lol - exactly the same here! I've been getting into RoF whilst waiting for CoD to get its act together. Pretty good and I hope CoD follows the same trajectory.

kimosabi
06-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Business Model is the right term here.
Think of Gillette shavers, King Gilemette gave them away for free too, not the blades though. ;)

Don't worry. Soon you'll have to pay a fee just to fire up a game. Just because you didn't read the License Agreements over 9000 pages. Gaming industry has surpassed music and movie industry. Wonder how.

RocketDog
06-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Anybody have a direct lint to the download, English:grin:

Here you go: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

Thee_oddball
06-09-2011, 01:07 AM

+1

Thee_oddball
06-09-2011, 01:12 AM
My squadmate was playing it the other night...seemed to really enjoy it...so i will give it a go :) WW1 was truly the dog fighting age :)

roadczar
06-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Downloading...

Feathered_IV
06-09-2011, 02:16 AM

I think everybody understands that.

roadczar
06-09-2011, 03:18 AM
What a cool way to introduce the team!
http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=18481

jimbop
06-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Don't worry. Soon you'll have to pay a fee just to fire up a game. Just because you didn't read the License Agreements over 9000 pages. Gaming industry has surpassed music and movie industry. Wonder how.

Doubt it. Their model is quite clear now: pay for the components rather than the base game. It is just a natural (like it or not) extension of the DLC model so making it harder to access the base game would be daft. Will be interesting to see how well this works - good on them for having the courage to try something new though.

addman
06-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Downloaded it last night, gonna try it out a bit later today. Good show 777!:)

Skoshi Tiger
06-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Tried the new career mode last night and to fly in any of the early war squadron you need add on aircraft.

Luckily I already had the Focker monoplane.

Cheers!

fireship4
06-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Great news thanks. I tried the demo ages ago and loved it - the sensation of flying an aeroplane was like none I'd had before. I had entertained ideas of buying the iron cross edition but never did. I'll surely be getting it now though... and who knows I might end up buying the sopwith camel.

GOZR
06-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Great stuff.. go for it !!! The Sim run real smooth and has as well SLI/CF support !!!

Grand_Armee
06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Has the RoF team fixed any of the old planes, or are they just adding new ones to keep the money coming in?

kimosabi
06-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Doubt it. Their model is quite clear now: pay for the components rather than the base game. It is just a natural (like it or not) extension of the DLC model so making it harder to access the base game would be daft. Will be interesting to see how well this works - good on them for having the courage to try something new though.

I was talking in general.

Qpassa
06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
They know how to sell a game... ;)

O_TaipaN
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Has the RoF team fixed any of the old planes, or are they just adding new ones to keep the money coming in?

Yeah, last patch introduced these fixes for the old planes:

Albatros D.II / D.II late model changes:
1. Cover over the left MG empty belt closure was added
2. Longitudinal bridges on radiator of late D.II were added
3. Suspension animation and mesh were redesigned
4. Wheel axis aerodynamic cowling was removed
5. Engine cowling cutout near the right side of the left MG breech was enlarged
6. Water pipe trace from pump to radiator was corrected
7. Cutout in cowling near rear exhaust pipe was removed
8. Early D.II expansion tank now has thin tube details on it
9. Manometer is no longer seen through other gauges
10. Magneto animation was fixed

Albatros D.III model changes:
1. Suspension animation and mesh were redesigned
2. Wheel axis aerodynamic cowling suspension-related animation was fixed, now has correctly dissected shape
3. Glowing wires were fixed
4. Windshield was corrected
5. Rear exhaust pipe material glitch was fixed
6. Magneto animation was fixed
7. Manometer is no longer seen through other gauges

Albatros D.Va model changes:
2. Wheel axis aerodynamic cowling suspension-related animation was fixed, now has correct dissected shape
3. Glowing wires were fixed
4. Left MG empty belt closure trace to engine cowling cutout was corrected
5. Windshield was corrected
6. Ailerons animation stuck at half stick movement was fixed

Fokker E.III model changes:
1. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
2. Cutout in engine cowling for fuel gauge placement was enlarged

Fokker Dr.I model changes:
1. Suspension animation was redesigned
2. Wheels now have same rotation angle on all LODs
3. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
4. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges were corrected

Fokker D.VII model changes:
2. Windshield was restored for external view
3. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges were corrected

Fokker D.VIIF model changes:
2. Windshield was restored for external view

Fokker D.VIII model changes:
1. Wing notch leather padding was added
2. Square cutout on the right side of engine cowling was removed (for default skin)
3. Engine cowling now is one-piece detail, sutures were removed (for default skin)
4. Suspension animation was redesigned
5. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
6. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges were corrected

Pfalz D.IIIa model changes:
2. Magneto rotation lever no longer intersects with other details

Pfalz D.XII model changes:
2. Wheel axis is now correclty pieceless and has an opening cover
3. Magneto rotation lever no longer intersects with other details

DFW C.V model changes:
2. Wheel axis aerodynamic cowling was removed
3. Magneto rotation lever no longer intersects with other details
5. Bomb release lever animation was corrected

Gotha G.V model changes:
2. Cockpit illumination lamp was added
3. Inclinometer no longer glows at night
4. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges and cockpit windows were corrected
5. Bomb release lever block animation was corrected, now it correctly matches bomb load and bomb release order

Nieuport 11.C1 model changes:
1. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
2. Fuel gauge tube glass and fuel liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
3. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges and cockpit windows were corrected

Nieuport 17.C1 model changes:
2. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
3. Fuel gauge tube glass and fuel liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
4. Stripes on fuel gauge tube when engine is running were fixed
5. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges and cockpit windows were corrected

Nieuport 28.C1 model changes:
1. Glowing wires were fixed
2. Windshield can now be seen from opposite side in cockpit view
3. Engine ignition selector now correctly switches to "0" position when engine is turned off
4. Oil pulsator glass and oil liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
5. Fuel gauge tube glass and fuel liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
6. Glass covers on the cockpit gauges and cockpit windows were corrected

SPAD 13.C1 model changes:
1. Foresight sun reflection was fixed

Breguet 14.B2 model changes:
2. Exhaust pipe now has correct sun reflection

Airco D.H.2 model changes:

Sopwith Pup model changes:
2. Fuel gauge tube glass and fuel liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
3. Fuel gauge tube now shows correct fuel ammount in the main tank
4. Stripes on sideslip indicator when engine is running were fixed
5. Longitudinal inclinometer no longer glows at night

Sopwith Triplane model changes:
3. Throttle lever no longer intersects with frame wire
5. Glass covers for the control cable inspection windows no longer glow at night

Sopwith Camel model changes:
3. Fuel gauge tube now shows correct fuel ammount in the main tank
5. Bomb release lever animation was fixed
6. Tail skid azimuthal rotation was fixed

Sopwith Dolphin model changes:
1. Fuel gauge tube glass and fuel liquid were corrected (night time issues were fixed, plus it looks more natural now)
2. Fuel gauge tube now shows correct fuel ammount in the main tank
3. Bomb release lever animation was fixed
5. Tail skid azimuthal rotation was fixed

S.E.5a model changes:
2. Inverted indication of sideslip was fixed
3. Bomb release lever animation was fixed
5. Engine cowling right-side window was corrected in cockpit view
6. Radiator animation was fixed for external mid-range view
7. Lewis gun trigger wire was added in cocpit view
8. Glass covers for the control cable inspection windows were added

Handley Page 0/400 model changes:
1. Cockpit illumination lamp bodies were added
2. Belly triangle window is no longer visible through pilot cockpit windshield from nose gunner position

Trooper117
06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I had always stayed away from this game, but was always marvelled by some of the beautiful screenshots and videos that were being produced by its users..
I think now I may be tempted to 'have a look' and see if it draws me in in the same way IL2 did years ago.
If it does, I'll probably purchase it :)

JG53Frankyboy
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
you have not to purchase the game when you download it now.
You are just limited to two planes.
when i bought the original releaseversion in of RoF in 2009 i had only 4 planes....

you just CAN purchase more planes - aka cockpits - but all the game features are for free now.

777 realy should not call that DEMO anymore.......................

Ploughman
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I do like this sim, runs sweet as a nut on my PC, which CloD doesn't. If 777 were to release a Flying Tigers/WWII sim using this engine I'd be over it like white on rice an it'd be my preferred CFS until I get a machine that can run CloD well. Really, if the core game's free, and you're in two minds bout RoF, don't be. It's super.

Seavee
06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
It is truly an awesome game - and I thought that even before the 1.019 patch that was just released which makes it infinitely better.

kgwanchos
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
No excuse not to take a look now is there.... Ive been playing for 6 weeks now and Im still blown away by it. Now with the new patch its gone to another level and in a league of its own. Im not given to rash statements but it has to be the best flight combat sim arround at the moment and its still relatively young.

Im sure that COD will get there one day, I surely hope so.

6BL Bird-Dog
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
The Iron Cross Edition arrived last week so its all loaded up and updated .
Setting up the controls at the moment and reading all the aircraft manuals available to download from from sim hq .
My first online flight game was "Dawn of Aces" WW1 and is where I joined Brando , Cudgel,Simba,Tiger & Idunno ,the gang of No6 RFC Black lions .
Spotting for the Artillery in a Bristol FB2 two seater was fun, zeroing the shell fall into the target area below then ordering up a barrage to watch the hangers and spawning enemy below being blasted apart.All this whilst your squaddies kept enemy fighters off you.
Another feature was trying to destroy a heavily defended Enemy Zeppilin approaching one of your bases at alt whilst looking out for the waiting enemy Hun in the Sun.
Unless a great deal of grabbing far from the area was done there was no chance of grabbing up under the shadow of the approaching gas bag without a Tripe or Albatross dropping on you.
Realy looking foreward to flying this era with the advances made since then.

easytarget3
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
The Iron Cross Edition arrived last week so its all loaded up and updated .
Setting up the controls at the moment and reading all the aircraft manuals available to download from from sim hq .
My first online flight game was "Dawn of Aces" WW1 and is where I joined Brando , Cudgel,Simba,Tiger & Idunno ,the gang of No6 RFC Black lions .
Spotting for the Artillery in a Bristol FB2 two seater was fun, zeroing the shell fall into the target area below then ordering up a barrage to watch the hangers and spawning enemy below being blasted apart.All this whilst your squaddies kept enemy fighters off you.
Another feature was trying to destroy a heavily defended Enemy Zeppilin approaching one of your bases at alt whilst looking out for the waiting enemy Hun in the Sun.
Unless a great deal of grabbing far from the area was done there was no chance of grabbing up under the shadow of the approaching gas bag without a Tripe or Albatross dropping on you.
Realy looking foreward to flying this era with the advances made since then.

you could get a bit disapointed, even the new career is beta, the game is bit empty and ther is no variation in missions,no surprises on the way, and way few planes, i have to say i paid already 100$ for this game and its still same, buggy and empty and after while boring,talking single player,many buttons dont work after 2 years, so i like how people promote this simulation, which its true its great simulation but very weak game,so it depend what do you expect, but by your message you will get the opposite :(

jimbop
06-09-2011, 01:05 PM
you could get a bit disapointed, even the new career is beta, the game is bit empty and ther is no variation in missions,no surprises on the way, and way few planes, i have to say i paid already 100$ for this game and its still same, buggy and empty and after while boring,talking single player,many buttons dont work after 2 years, so i like how people promote this simulation, which its true its great simulation but very weak game,so it depend what do you expect, but by your message you will get the opposite :(

Each to their own but at least you can have a good go at it for nothing now.

TonyD
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I bought the ICE in December 2010 after trying the Demo for two days, and have added to it since. The main change to the Demo is that it no longer operates for only 30 days. In addition, you do not have to upgrade the Demo to one of the pre-determined packages, you can do this by merely buying a single aircraft, and they regularly have ‘specials’, when you can buy a number of them at a discounted price.

Be aware though that the graphics engine is not as advanced as CloD (being DX9-based), although the improvements in ver.1.019, particularly the draw distance, have resulted in a noticeably better experience. There are some issues for Sli/X-fire users though, which by their own admission (and nVidia’s) cannot be resolved without a new engine. If you are a multi-gpu user though, you can disable Sli/X-fire and still enjoy great performance, since the engine is less demanding than CloD’s.

I have re-discovered RoF after upgrading to a HD6970, as the ‘blue lines’ error in CloD really annoys me, and the latest update has made it a lot more immersive. I don’t find WW-I aircraft as entertaining to fly as those in WW-II, but the sim certainly runs flawlessly with a definite feeling of actually flying.

Trooper117
06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Downloaded and playing absolutely flawlessly at the moment.. why didn't I do this sooner?
It even picked up my G940 without any input from me.. bonus!
Not had a proper chance to really get into it, but will have a couple of hours on it tonight.. but so far, brilliant!

Davy TASB
06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
blah blah blah... the game is bit empty and ther is no variation in missions,no surprises on the way, and way few planes... blah blah blah

Yerjokinarentyer! :-P

Feathered_IV
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Have another look now if you get the chance. Plenty more aircraft are available now, plus the latest patch adds several hundered new towns and encampments to the default landscape. The dynamic career turned out to be a great surprise with a lot of action. Flak, fighters, balloons and even the odd gunner in the trenches (almost got me too). Chuck in the new ability to direct artillery fire and do photo recon and you'll find there is plenty to do.