PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers.. running for cover!?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
This is new to me. I didn't know this game had soldiers runnng for cover. Is this new in 1946?

I was playing an old campaign called Desert Beaufighter, and when I was attacking several columns of vehicles trying to make it to a remote base in the desert (mission 4-5 I think), I saw little ants running from both sides of the column of vehicles as I dove and started firing.

I have never seen that before. Maybe it was just because of the desert they stood out? Or maybe it was the Whiskey & Coke?

Has anybody else seen this?

GF_Mastiff
11-26-2007, 10:06 PM
yes its been there I always strafe columns and see that. but they have to script it in the mission.

Makabi
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
no scripting involved, you just have to use one of the transport columns in the vehicles list.

ElAurens
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Part of the sim since the original IL2.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Hmmm... Well that's the first time I've see it. I'll have to pay more attention!

Can you shoot those guys and kill them?

Avimimus
11-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Yes, you can. Although they disappear on their own so you have to get the quickly. This has been around since the original Il-2 beta. It is really neat if you set up two columns running parallel, it creates a chaotic panic.

SlipBall
11-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Another cool thing is that on a winter map, they wear trenchcoats

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/grab0000.jpg

1.JaVA_Sharp
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't think you get credit for them though. They never show up on the kill list.

tagTaken2
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
And the death animations are a little disappointing. I hammered down a couple with 37mm, and they stayed relatively intact. :shock:
Let's hope this changes with the new engine.

F19_Klunk
11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
hehe well talking about animation.. have u ever strafed a bicycle column? those bikes looks cool still standing upright and burning:D

1.JaVA_Platypus
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Part of the sim since the original IL2.

True, but the gave the soldiers (and the pilots) more poly's with PF.

bhunter2112
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
be neat for BOB if vehicles and people took cover as enemy passed overhead. Driving under trees etc..
I really don't want the sim to "waste" to much on ground objects. If you want to have ground tank battles buy another game. But certain details really add to immersion. Realistic fire/smoke, fleeding people, ramdom action like trains and cars on roads. realistically placed vegitation.

FAE_Cazador
11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Try to strafe a bailed AI pilot when he arrives to the ground and runs: you can not hit him, even if running into a hell of bullets:

http://www.terra.es/personal5/angelm740/Fotos/Ametrallamiento.jpg

They are, obviously, overmodelled LOL

Watch full Video (9 MB) (www.escuadrilla-fae.com/~fae/tracks/Strafing_AIpilot.avi)

Avimimus
11-27-2007, 08:45 PM
But you can strafe the little people that come from trucks (as opposed to the ones coming from planes)

As for BOB:
- Luthier has stated that he wouldn't mind producing and advanced damage model for people but the Oleg is against it for fear of getting a higher violence rating (Many European countries restrict access to violent material to a much greater degree than sexual material - the reverse of the United States)
- Bob will include advanced vehicles with relatively complex damage models and a strong emphasis on physics and suspensions etc.
- Early 3d models also showed beach head attack variants of the Lysander possibly suggesting that operation Sealion or the Dunkirk evacuation will be modeled.
- presumably this is all in preparation for later parts of the SOW series (which likely include better ground AI and large ground battles as well as drivable vehicles - an idea Oleg has hinted at for years).
- Oleg has also not ruled out the modeling of the other little people (presumably lepricons and gremlins).

Corpse Grinder
11-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Now.....If we could only get soldiers in IL-2 that STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Hmm.. In Battle of Britian - Wings of Victory, the troops like to stand in chow lines.

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob_dev/PaulPics/Naafi.jpg

1.JaVA_Sharp
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
IIRC that's in the plans for 2.08.