PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to have.....

Ze-Jamz
05-21-2011, 08:03 AM
A window on screen telling you what or 'if' you have done DMG to the other AC like we had in Il2..

I know its a tricky one as far as you wouldnt know in a RL situ but then i would presume in a RL situ you could tell a bit more easily what DMG youve done...maybe?

Or even the option to turn it off server end if it wasnt wanted in FR etc..

Just a thought

Sauf
05-21-2011, 08:07 AM
would be handy for practising in offline play but a no no for online imo. If i get hit online and have control damage that is not visible outside the a/c I'd rather the enemy pilot didnt know about it so I 'd have a chance to disengage on equal terms.

Just my 2 cents

S`

Skoshi Tiger
05-21-2011, 08:28 AM
How about the arrows showing the hit locations like in the IL2 Arcade=1 mode? Good for training.

As long as servers can switch it off for fairness if required I'ld say bring it on.

Cheers

jimbop
05-21-2011, 08:40 AM
A window on screen telling you what or 'if' you have done DMG to the other AC like we had in Il2..

I know its a tricky one as far as you wouldnt know in a RL situ but then i would presume in a RL situ you could tell a bit more easily what DMG youve done...maybe?

Just a thought

+1

I logged on specifically to make a thread about exactly this (but found this one instead). At the moment there is much discussion about the adequacy (or otherwise) of the .303s and other ammo and I suspect this would neutralise a lot of that.

It would also be really useful in learning exactly how to attack specific aircraft. Wouldn't be that hard to implement I would think?

Ze-Jamz
05-21-2011, 08:41 AM
would be handy for practising in offline play but a no no for online imo. If i get hit online and have control damage that is not visible outside the a/c I'd rather the enemy pilot didnt know about it so I 'd have a chance to disengage on equal terms.

Just my 2 cents

S`

I understand that truly..but then i know there are also times that you hit EA yourself and not know what there situ is like..no one else around, youve been patient up till now..do you bleed E waste ammo on the enemy because you wanna be sure..after all you've been flying for 30 mins now to find this bandit..

Is there a medium, as in RL would you see/feel/hear what DMG youve done if not obvious more than in game?

it works both ways i guess...if your the EA then obviously you want to get away, if your the attacker there are advantages too

Ze-Jamz
05-21-2011, 08:45 AM
+1

I logged on specifically to make a thread about exactly this (but found this one instead). At the moment there is much discussion about the adequacy (or otherwise) of the .303s and other ammo and I suspect this would neutralise a lot of that.

It would also be really useful in learning exactly how to attack specific aircraft. Wouldn't be that hard to implement I would think?

That is a good point also..just how effective are those rifle rounds, how many 20's have just hit that target..

like i say, the option would be nice server side...if you want Full FR then you turn it off just like Arrows/Icons

609_Huetz
05-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I like the idea of a kind of arcade=1 setting for practice purposes and to verify the DMs. As long as you can disable it and do not have a setting forced upon you, it's perfectly fine.

However, you have to take one thing into consideration: Both the AI and players in MP seem to have a habit to stay in their planes and in a fight a lot longer than what you would experience in real life. I have yet to see AI bail with elevators and rudders disabled and I have yet to see people bailing as fast as possible online when you set parts of their plane on fire.

Of course, on some instances people would try to avoid the inevitable in real life and you would see some attempts in nursing planes home, but unlike in a Sim, people were putting their life on the line doing so. The rule of thumb in real life was (and is): It's better to be a coward for 5 minutes than dead a lifetime. No such things in Sims unfortunately.

Ze-Jamz
05-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I like the idea of a kind of arcade=1 setting for practice purposes and to verify the DMs. As long as you can disable it and do not have a setting forced upon you, it's perfectly fine.

However, you have to take one thing into consideration: Both the AI and players in MP seem to have a habit to stay in their planes and in a fight a lot longer than what you would experience in real life. I have yet to see AI bail with elevators and rudders disabled and I have yet to see people bailing as fast as possible online when you set parts of their plane on fire.

Of course, on some instances people would try to avoid the inevitable in real life and you would see some attempts in nursing planes home, but unlike in a Sim, people were putting their life on the line doing so. The rule of thumb in real life was (and is): It's better to be a coward for 5 minutes than dead a lifetime. No such things in Sims unfortunately.

Of course but i dont think that would conflict with what were talking about..

This can work both ways however you want to look at it..If i knew i scored on an enemy enough to get a kill i wouldnt then go ahead and finish him off as to kill the pilot..

'get it home fella-be safe'...scratch one

Even a kill Message or 'enemy disabled' which is triggered after a certain amount of Dmg...lets face it if your plane is pretty much dead or getting that way but not really easy to observe from your attackers point of view you get annoyed when you see the attacker coming back round to finish you off..

then its the

''Im dead already! you ****'

I honestly do think that in RL it would be easier to judge if your foe is disabled bad enough than what we sometimes see here in game..

Like you say though, its an option server side..i personlay think it would make for a better game, stop alot of chat about ammo this or ammo that and its effectiveness..and hopefully stop some tempers getting to high when flyers are still laying down the hammer when they already have the kill..

Sometimes i get kills in MP and i dont even know who it was, it would be nice to know if that shot there or that deflection shot here was good enough and im notified as such

ARM505
05-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Most people flying these sims are already waaaaaay ahead of the average WW2 pilot when it comes to intel on the enemy. I'll bet most Spit pilots from the BOB had only the vaguest idea (based on intel briefings, ie 'guesses' until one was captured, tested, and the info passed on to squadrons in the field in a clear and comprehensible package) of what a real 109 could actually do, or how it was operated. Lets maybe leave the super detailed damage analysis alone, ie preserve at least a teensy little bit of the mystery :) Also, it would enable countless 'I saw an arrow through his engine and nothing happened' threads, a la Steel Beasts (an excellent tank sim, where AAR damage reviews include shot impact lines and damage done). I agree in some ways, it was cool in IL2, but it seems we've all come to expect (superhumanly) more comprehensive damage models nowdays....

IMHO.....

TeeJay82
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
AGAIN!!! What we need for continious offline enjoyment is DCG

Tiger27
05-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Just a thought

You can show damage to other aircraft by setting up a window that shows console messages, may be other ways as well, tells you if you have done damage hit the pilot/gunner etc.

Blackdog_kt
05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Yup, it already exists in the console/chat message window that's part of the default interface.

It's not as detailed as the damage updates about your own aircraft (ie, you won't see "AI got an oil gasket leak" like you can for your own aircraft) but it tells me when i kill pilots, gunners, etc.

jimbop
05-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Yup, it already exists in the console/chat message window that's part of the default interface.

It's not as detailed as the damage updates about your own aircraft (ie, you won't see "AI got an oil gasket leak" like you can for your own aircraft) but it tells me when i kill pilots, gunners, etc.

Yes, I have this switched on but not detailed enough for me. The information about the enemy crew is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about, though, since a message that you killed the top gunner (or whatever) is excellent confirmation that you were on target and avoided armour etc.

The additional information would just be good for learning how to target fuel tanks, ammo caches etc.

Ze-Jamz
05-22-2011, 10:18 AM
You can show damage to other aircraft by setting up a window that shows console messages, may be other ways as well, tells you if you have done damage hit the pilot/gunner etc.

Yea i know and have that already enabled bud

Ze-Jamz
05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, I have this switched on but not detailed enough for me. The information about the enemy crew is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about, though, since a message that you killed the top gunner (or whatever) is excellent confirmation that you were on target and avoided armour etc.

The additional information would just be good for learning how to target fuel tanks, ammo caches etc.

I like the sound of it but TBH enough people have viewed this thead and only a handful of repsponce so i guess thats speaks volumes to whether its a good idea to have it or not..

Im thinking.... Not then

Ze-Jamz
05-22-2011, 10:21 AM

I like the sound of it but TBH enough people have viewed this thead and only a handful of repsponce so i guess thats speaks volumes to whether its a good idea to have it or not..

Im thinking.... Not then

had some good points made though

EDIT>>SRY FOR DOUBLE POST

Ralith
05-22-2011, 11:21 AM
This would be quite nice to have and really doesn't seem like much to ask.

Also, how the hell do you get from "lots of people thought this thread was worth reading" to "nobody wants this"?

jimbop
05-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Also, how the hell do you get from "lots of people thought this thread was worth reading" to "nobody wants this"?

Not my thread but straightforward enough - lack of supporting comments despite the read count. Also, counts aren't really reflective of interest when the thread title is so non-descriptive.