PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents for MOW: AS and request for MOW vietnam

013 Version B
05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Hello there, im relatively new player to the MOW:AS as well as basic MOW.

I played a lot of the preprequel, Soldiers: heroes of WW2, (which in my opinion is still the best game of the series) online as well as on singleplayer under the name 013 Version B. I've also played the Faces of War on singleplayer and the campaigns on MOW. Now i picked the entire MOW packet as it was on steam for -66% and so far have played coop through about 2/3 of the maps.

There are some major drawbacks in the missions, mostly on the skirmishes the totally copypasted missions but the worst is the enemy reinforcing spam- theres simply a timer which sends a wawe after wawe of enemies forth, nothing else, and it wont stop even if the enemies recapture the point that triggers them- whereas the player DOES lose his bonuses when he loses the flag. this is just stupid in my opinion, and means that if you lose one point near the end of the mission, its game over.

Also, the interface has suffered from some very bad moves done in the faces of war- namely the squad system and the buying menu. these are the 2 things that have to be fixed for MOW: Vietnam. the squad system works much better than on FOW, but still it isnt that working- having a named #1 squad have 2 guys jumping on a gun makes it a living hell trying to reconfig the remainder of the squad to ditch the gun from the squad, and the entire squadmenu takes enormous space without giving relatively nothing in terms of info. i DONT need a bloody icon to show me i have one tank crewmember stranded on far side of the map, and even less i need four of the icons when one of my tanks get hit.

The buying menu is even worse: its a pop-up setup where the units are only given a name and to see their actual price means going over to them with cursor, and the timer add just makes the bloody thing confusing to everyone, and the CP/MP meters are not displayed on any reasonable way. ditch the timer completely and revamp it.

What puzzles me most with the buying menu retardness is the fact that the menu was PERFECT back in the Soldiers: heroes of WW2 on 2004- a buying menu which displayed a list of units and their costs on money (manpower) and command points. when selecting a unit it shows their inventory, weapons and for vehicles even armor on all sides of turret and hull. you click from the list the units you want, and when you close it all the selected units spawn. it was perhaps the best buying menu since counter-strike and about ten million times better than the current setup. The key ingredients were

- simplicity: you saw what you were buying, and could buy a list of units at the same time
- clear setup: you saw your resources and the cost of each unit on both of them, as well as could review the details of each unit you thought of buying
- lack of stupid icons hanging around: it did not take a single pixel of your screen until you opened it.
in Soldiers there was no arbitrary "timer" function- what you could buy was simply limited by what resources you had. this was simple and working- since money came on drops and there was no refund from dead units (so dont waste your men)

so just bring the ancient screen back, add into the individual units the infantry squad options aswell and BINGO, you got one major flaw straight out the game. After that just double the ranges and accuracies of all the units and youve got yourself the best game in the universe.
OH, and add a "scavenge" button on the interface, so you can order your infantry to pick up their type of ammo ( not depending by their type, but what weapon theyre currently carrying) from an area 35 meters away. this means that after battle has paused, you can easily rearm wihtout having to search every single auto-removing corpse at handpick.

And one more add- me and my friend are playing the "hardcore realism" mod by vähäkylä added with the advanced skirmish mod, and that combination makes it a hell of a war. if you're interested on coop with real ranges and damages, do contact us since vähäkyläs a bit too lazy to update his still-beta mod as often as he tinkers with it (about 5 times a day) XD