PDA

View Full Version : Arma2

machoo
05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a question , anybody here have ARMA2? If so can you run that with full detail? I tried this and it brought my computer down too it's knees. Ran about 6fps. The biggest killer was the draw distance , turn that right up and you have a COD scenario with an entire island visible if you are in a plane.

Arma2 has been out for years and computers still struggle with it. COD isnt doing too bad performance wise it's just unfinished. We shouldnt be too hard on the guys at 1C.

Sky
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I have it, I can't run it of full settings either it does some wierd stuff with the trees, but I can run it on the next setting down and it's very good, FPS is high. I don't think I could play it with a load of stuff happening though...similar to CoD, I can fly with 20 or so planes but any more and it starts to be a bit jumpy.

I'm quite happy with how CoD is playing graphically, just wish my multiplayer worked, but that was my fault for installing the beta patch ;)

SsSsSsSsSnake
05-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Just a question , anybody here have ARMA2? If so can you run that with full detail? I tried this and it brought my computer down too it's knees. Ran about 6fps. The biggest killer was the draw distance , turn that right up and you have a COD scenario with an entire island visible if you are in a plane.

Arma2 has been out for years and computers still struggle with it. COD isnt doing too bad performance wise it's just unfinished. We shouldnt be too hard on the guys at 1C.

yes we should.

BigPickle
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
this is way worst than arma 2 mate, i assure you.

Buchon
05-13-2011, 09:15 PM

You need a fast quad core CPU to squeeze this game, downing draw distance and some options you can obtain good FPS but when there action around my CPU just bottleneck the game.

I dont know if you guys are aware of this :

http://i53.tinypic.com/s1j869.jpg

:rolleyes:

Is a game in development using the ArmA2 engine :mrgreen:

http://www.gamershell.com/news_116406.html

machoo
05-13-2011, 09:23 PM
That's awesome. The amount of mods in Ama2 - where to start!

Strike
05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
This game is to first person shooters, what IL-2 is to flightsims. A complete game, with random unscripted events, a powerful mission builder and huge maps that serves as an arena for simulated warfare.

I've played Operation flashpoint since it came out a decade ago and still have the entire series in my shelf :) Play ARMA 2 now adays with some of the awesome mods :)

Sky
05-13-2011, 09:28 PM
That new game Looks good doesn't it. I've attached my ps3 controller and trackIR to ARMA2 and it's great. I presume you were talking about Operation Arrowhead not the original ARMA2.

Raggz
05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
i can run Arma 2 on max with 4x anti-aliasing and i run with distance at 6000 in 1920x1080.

SsSsSsSsSnake
05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
This game is to first person shooters, what IL-2 is to flightsims. A complete game, with random unscripted events, a powerful mission builder and huge maps that serves as an arena for simulated warfare.

I've played Operation flashpoint since it came out a decade ago and still have the entire series in my shelf :) Play ARMA 2 now adays with some of the awesome mods :)

Strike is this MP, and how is it compared to BFBC2? thanks

nakedsquirrel
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Heh, ARMA2 is a bit more than a flight sim there. These are two different games.

I like the way Arma does LOD drawing, it's very dependent on your graphics settings and it works out well in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the distant sprites in Clod.

The difference between the two is I can tweak settings to get Arma to run at a decent FPS. I can drop CLOD to 640x480 and I still get stuttering

Buchon
05-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Calling ArmA flight simulator is a bit generous.

I guess his correct definition is Infantry Simulator.

SsSsSsSsSnake
05-13-2011, 09:55 PM
"This game is to first person shooters, what IL-2 is to flightsims."

this is what he said

Ali Fish
05-13-2011, 09:58 PM

not for long.
O6iB8oDUtl4

http://takeonthegame.com/ helicopter sim in the works by bohemia Interactive. same engine as arma series. ,more indepth flight physics of course

whoarmongar
05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Im a long time OFP and Arma2 player.

In fact even todays machines will not run OFP (2001) at max settings. just because a max setting is in a game doesnt mean it can be utilised.

Arma2 runs very nice with relative high settings, and calling it an infantry simulator just doesnt do it justice. Its true the beating heart of Arma is down in the dirt with the grunts, but it is so much more than just that.

I have played very often a typhoon and F16 falcon (12 aircraft)CoOp mission v 16 ai migs and SUs plus 20 or so armoured units plus the infantry plus another 4 or so ai aircraft plus another 30-40 infantry ai with very little stutter or frame rate problems. remember also these aircraft are moving at very high speed. The bigest advantage with arma is if you are shot down and have to bail out you can still continue playing the game, escape and evade enemy troops, try to steal some transport, or maybe call in a evac chopper(scripted or friend).

I also contend that due to the excelent scenery and maps Arma is on of the best chopper sims I have ever seen. It could be soooo much better except the game designers have made the Hinds and apaches to weak in armour and hit survivability, all done in the interests of "Gameplay".

The Arma2 mod comunity is fabulous. Dont take my word for it just go and look see what this comunity produces. Some of the models and sounds are awe inspiring (the A10 cannons sound fantastic). I have to admit my Arma2 is so modded I dont now know what is "standard" and what is modded. But then again I have no worries about steam banning me from online play with Arma2/OA !

Finally the mission editor in Arma2 is fantastic. Simple to use and with very little scripting additions the ai will do some amazing things. Once after ejecting over enemy territory as I was `chuting down I could see the ai jump into a vehicle to come and get me, believe me being hunted down in a forrest by an enemy ai squad whilst waiting for evac is a really nerve jangling experience.

Strike
05-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Are you referring to my post?

Arma does infantry combat well, but armored and flight is "semi-simulator". It's way more detailed and complicated than BFBC2 and the focus is not on fast-paced action, but using tactics and real-life caution when advancing on the battlefield.

Multiplayer in ARMA II can be EPIC because of the importance of good, coordinated teamwork. Many missions I've played you set out with a goal and plan how to acheive it, but things change and you need to rethink the plan again. You'll be looking at maps, scoping out villages and spreading out teammembers more than you'll be doing actual shooting. All weapons have real simulated ballistics with bullet drop, stopping power decrease and wind calculated. An RPG-7 does not fly slowly with a long smoketrail (when using the right mod (I'd recommend ACE 2)). It's more like firing a tankshell. The backblast will wound or kill your teammates, the rocket will impact and penetrate the armor killing the crew inside more often than blowing up the entire tank.

If you are used to the fast-paced action of BFBC2, then it'll be a new experience to try ARMA 2.

Compare it in real-life where you can say the pace and action of BFBC2 is like paintball, versus arma 2 which is like hunting in the forest. The reward for pulling something off in ARMA 2 is far better IMO than winning a match in BFBC2.

You have a wide variety of weapons, vehicles and a few maps (large-scale ones for campaigns and smaller ones for testing and fooling around). The game comes with a good mission editor that simplifies stuff like making a unit move from A to B, wait for a second unit to catch up, and assault point C at the same time from two flanks etc..

The flying in ARMA is more realistic than the battlefield series, but does also not fulfill a simmers requirements.

Yes, you have to manually lower/raise flaps and gear. You have the option to start and shut off your engine(s), you fly at realistic speeds (maps are huge so it's not scaled down like in all bf games), and damage can result in various failures (instruments, fuel leaks, engine shutdown, tailrotor, mainrotor).

Also, you can't just jump into a tank or heli and go solo. For driving tanks you need a driver and gunner minimum. A commander with better optics for target spotting and giving orders is recommended. That suddenly makes your tank a 3-man coordination masterpiece, or total flop. You can fly a heli, but without your gunner you're pretty useless, as you need him to lock on to targets, fire the machinecannon and help you spot threats. There's no option to bail out of a heli with a chute (in the unmodded version you can) and you are vulnerable as heck!

Normally a single shot from a rifle caliber round will render you dead or incapacitated. If hit in the chest/head you are most likely dead. If hit in the arms your aim is horrible and if you are struck in the leg you are forces to crawl. You can also bleed to death if you don't bandage the wound and if you fail to bandage it you will need a medic to stop the bleeding/restore some of your health.

The game has an EXCELLENT sound engine that simulates being shot at quite well and also simulates how sound is obscured by obstacles and makes it harder to point out where it's coming from and how far away it is. A sniper firing at you will really give you chills even if you're not close to being hit. The supersonic crack of the bullet passing you followed by the distant poof of the snipers rifle some hundreds of meters away is a thrilling experience.

Here's a nice distant view of CBU hitting a village :) Then close up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKNzOrNVgCo&feature=related

Edit and some A-10 flying to show the scale of everything better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3ioVh8BxM&feature=related

Skiiwa
05-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Arma 2 with all addons. I'm also running ace mod. Probably my fav game on my pc atm. I run mostly on high except for shadows. All I play is warfare against the ai. Its stable looks damn good and is pretty dang hard.

Buchon
05-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Are you referring to my post?

ehh ... no

Why did you think that ?

:confused:

Im just saying that the core of the game is the infantry simulation.

Does the infantry drive vehicles and fly ?

Yes that is why in ArmA you drive tanks and helicopters, trough they dont reach the full simulation that have DCS Blackshark for example.

Ali Fish
05-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Personally i dont like arma2 for various reasons, not that interested, Operation arrowhead on the other hand is where its at for myself. much better updated engine. and a real nice take on FLIR implementation unrivalled anywhere else. not sure if they got round to adding that to A2.

Zappatime
05-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm a big Arma2 fan and the mod community is prolific to say the least, there's some truely great addons for it. To my mind it shares many similarities with COD, it can look absolutely fantastic in certain situations, the vehicle models are very sharp, but at other times slow loading textures and dipping frame rates when the going gets hectic can dilute the enjoyment.

I'd say it runs quite similarly to COD in many ways too, in its vanilla form out of the box it probably runs much better than COD, but it does depend what mods you end up adding, some of the nice explosion and effects eyecandy can do serious damage to its overall performance, but there's such a wealth of stuff to go at its a case of try it and see. Very tweakable setup helps.

Its worth remembering that Arma2 is really a third iteration release, being an evolution starting with Operation Flashpoint> Arma> Arma2 and as I recall my experiences with Arma in particular were not good at the time, it didnt run at all well with the hardware I had.

Anybody who loves open ended simulations, great mod community support and powerful mission editing software shouldn't hesitate to try it in my opinion, its very immersive, and given time COD has every chance of being regarded in the same vein.

ElAurens
05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Saying the maps in ArmA2 are huge is a bit of a stretch as well.

They are large compared to most FPS console games, and their PC ported versions, but they are tiny compared to IL2 or Cliffs of Dover maps.

The Zargabad (sorry about the spelling) map in the Operation Arrowhead addon for ArmA2 is a whopping 11 miles on a side. This is about the size of four grid squares on the Kuban map in IL2. And this is why flight operations in ArmA2 really are just eye candy for the grunts.

Armor is poorly modeled, and is far too weak.

But, it's not a tank or aircraft sim, it's an infantry sim, and at that it is the finest one available.

whoarmongar
05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
If you like Battlefield or call of duty etc dont buy Operation arrowhead. You wont like it

Dieing "for no good reason", getting killed or outmanouvered by a skilled ai, not being able to just charge towards the enemy with all guns blazing, not caring if you die coz you can just respawn and carry on. You will just get frustrated that the game hasnt acknowledged you obvious supreme skill and capabilities and wont let you go on an endless manic killing spree.

If however you fancy a bit of simulated warfare where planning and teamwork lead to success, and mistakes mean your dead, play OA.

JimmyGiro
05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Ali Fish,

ArmA2 and OA are combined, plus the other semi add-ons like BAF and Private military what-not.

I have an old computer, the minimum spec for Clod, and it just manages ArmA2 etc with medium settings. If I mug enough old ladies in the coming weeks, I might get a new rig ready for July; and I'll be playing both ArmA2 and Clod.

The first, because it is an excellent game, and the second, because it will be an excellent game.

JimmyGiro
05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi El.

:))

Zaltor
05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
I run Arma2 max settings 5000ft view distance 1920x1200 and get about 35fps arma2 doesnt like ati AA not sure how people with ATI say there running 4x/8x you need to run it applicaton controlled as the ATI catalyst AA bug is still unresolved so its either low/med or high.

ElAurens
05-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi El.

:))

Hi Jimmy.

Didn't know you were an ArmA player. Raven, Ham, Void, myself and some of the other Pub lads muck about with it about once a week online. It is a good break from flight simming, and is fun, in a serious teamwork kind of way.

BTW, I flew over your house in CloD the other day.

:grin:

xnomad
05-14-2011, 06:42 AM
I bought Arma2 because of COD as it was on steam and I had a new PC for COD. I love COD and contrary to most of the whiners here I feel I got my moneys worth with COD but not with ArmaII.

Why? Because the single player mode is a joke. I'm talking stock install here.

It should be called run around watching your AI team mates kill everyone that you can't see and then get killed while hiding in the grass via a headshot from a BMP that is driving 500 metres away at full speed.

Frustrating as $%#@! The BMPs are insane, they are like the terminator, the speed they will find you and kill you in seconds its just nuts, how did they ever release it like that?

I loved Operation Flashpoint but it also had crazy AI. They just have super vision and it really spoils it in terms of realism. I guess MP is where it's at with this. I often make my AI team hold and do everything single handed as they just attract too much attention with their bumbling or they kill everyone before I have a chance.

The graphics are lovely and it has it's moments but I think you need to mod and download, the stock install is lacking.

All sorts of problems that Operation Flashpoint had continue in Arma2, for instance when an AI enemy is in the middle of an action he will complete that action even if you shoot him. So lets say he's just climbing over a fence, you shoot him in the head he wont' go down till you shoot him when he's finished. I could go on all day about other frustrating elements of the game.

I also got Operation Arrowhead with it, and the campaign should be called, run around watching your AI team kill everything as well. I stopped when I was ordered to run from the airfield to one hamlet and then to the other and couldn't get a shot off as my AI team killed everyone at distances where I couldn't even see the enemy or IFF it. I felt more like a reporter than a team member.

Ahhh COD you are worth so much more. :)

BigPickle
05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
My new MP Evolution Intro

http://forum.gitsclan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6282

Wandalen
05-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Love ARMA2 :) its a nice break from flying some times.

Runs smoot on my rig from the day i got it 1 year ago.

Here is me and my son... i am the one who need a med ;)

Hellbender
05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Actaully the only Games I played in the last 4 years were: Armed Assault, ArmA 2 and now I also bought Il-2 CoD (I stopped playing IL 2 1946 since some years because someone took away my disc ) and like ArmA and ArmA 2 it had some technical difficulties.

But it never was so severe that I felt my gaming experinece gets disrubted by that. Certain features were buggy, but the main corew of the game was working : the profound simulation part.

131st_Impact
05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
hi all
i have arma 2 and i also cant crank it to the top. its a big game big maps . the developers know u cant run it like that. the good thing is they didnt take that choice from u. so when u buy a new computer in the future or a new g/card. u will want to try and turn the graphics up more. and u always notice a difference. alot of game developers make a game and limit what u can see and do so they dont get comebacks.
S!

jt_medina
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Hi,
I have arma 2 and arma 2 operation arrowhead. I'd suggest you try to install new maps. Most of them run way better than chernarus.

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_files_addons_islands

I have a Quad Core 2 2.50, ATI 5770 1GB., 4GB RAM, and I can almost set every thing high settings, except AA set to normal. Don't get it any higher because I don't see a big difference in quality graphics from high to very high.

Did I video comparing graphics settings time ago. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAD5tlD_OeM

If you want to install mods the best place in my opinion is armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com)

Another must have mod I'd suggest you is Invasion 1944 it's a WWII mod simply awesome.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=117585

PS:I guess your CPU is the bottle neck you should buy a i5 or i7 or something with 4 cores at least.

Rattlehead
05-14-2011, 03:55 PM
If you like Battlefield or call of duty etc dont buy Operation arrowhead. You wont like it

Dieing "for no good reason", getting killed or outmanouvered by a skilled ai, not being able to just charge towards the enemy with all guns blazing, not caring if you die coz you can just respawn and carry on. You will just get frustrated that the game hasnt acknowledged you obvious supreme skill and capabilities and wont let you go on an endless manic killing spree.

If however you fancy a bit of simulated warfare where planning and teamwork lead to success, and mistakes mean your dead, play OA.

I can attest to that.

Now, while I love flight sims, I've never been able to get into games like Arma 2 or Operation Flashpoint.
I guess I'm too used to arcade shooters like Medal of Honor, Crysis, BFBC2 and games like that.
I appreciate what the sims are all about, but I'm too used to playing the arcade shooters that let me be the one-man army.

I bought Arma 2 because I thought it looked great, but it's just not my cup of tea. I might give it another go in the future, but right now it's not something I can really enjoy.

Gromic
05-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Another must have mod I'd suggest you is Invasion 1944 it's a WWII mod simply awesome.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=117585

Hi m8

On the site it says I need combined operations which I assume to be ARMA2 and ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead (duh) but I have an ARMA2 stand alone install (DVD). Do you know if that will work together with a steam version of OA or do I need to purchase ARMA2 again via steam?

Then I've read something about a black edition. Is that some kind of repackaged standard ARMA2?

Sorry to be such a numbskull with this but you've just gotten my interest in I44 going.

Cheers

jt_medina
05-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi m8

On the site it says I need combined operations which I assume to be ARMA2 and ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead (duh) but I have an ARMA2 stand alone install (DVD). Do you know if that will work together with a steam version of OA or do I need to purchase ARMA2 again via steam?

Then I've read something about a black edition. Is that some kind of repackaged standard ARMA2?

Sorry to be such a numbskull with this but you've just gotten my interest in I44 going.

Cheers

I'd suggest you to get the combine operations at least it worked for me, you have everything in one installation and for I44 you wont have any problem.
I don't know if steam creates one installation if you buy both though.

Months ago I had arma 2 and OA in two separated installations and had some problems.

About the black edition, I am not sure but I think they recently released one big package with all mods together but I don't know if it's black edition.

Longbone
05-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi, mate look at this
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12465

and search this section there are links

2. Double-click your new shortcut and enjoy!
Note: There's a folder of Icons you can use for your new shortcut in '\@I44CO\Shortcut Icons'
Steam Users: As steam versions install to a different directory (and you may have separate versions e.g. DVD of ArmA2 but Steam version of Operation Arrowhead) you may want to visit the following topics on our public forums and the BIS public forums:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/invasion1944/public/index.php?topic=374.0

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/invasion1944/public/index.php?topic=391.0

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101214

Good luck

=XIII=Shea
05-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Also there is a fantastic mod out for arma 2 CO
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104514

mazex
05-14-2011, 08:14 PM
As an old fan of the BI games (don't know how many hours I spent with the original Flashpoint) this thread had me starting up Arma2 again which has been idle on my drive for a couple of months now. It really is a hog on hardware and as I switched rig this week I was amazed how much better Arma2 ran on my new rig! The aiming has always been a bit of a problem on my old rig as you often fire from very long range so aiming a pixel or two "wrong" misses the target... The game was rather smooth on medium high on my E8400/GTX275/6Gb RAM but there was almost always a bit of micro "lag" while precision aiming. On my new computer I set everything to max and it runs as smooth as Call of Duty does :) A whole new experience! Damn I love that game series... Bought Arrowhead on a Steam sale two weeks ago so it's time to put my teeth into that game again!

One of my gaming hall of fame moments is a night on LAN with two friends playing Flashpoint 1. We tried a co op mission where you should secure a village and then there was a counter attack by the reds with a BMP or two. We played the same mission a whole evening trying to get it right but as the AI is very unscripted it came up with new ideas every darn time! When we tried to surprise them as we had played the mission 15 times they came a whole new route to attack us :)

The only problem in the series is naturally that it has always been buggy as hell (or northern Sweden in summertime). People that can't see the gem beneath the surface because the driving AI many times go nuts better go back to Call of Duty and the AI that spawns hordes of zombies at you until you reach a certain trigger point... I remember all the forum discussions about campaign missions in FP1. No one had done it the same way, and if you tried to copy a "walk through" you where always in for a nice surprise (or bug ;))

mazex
05-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Also there is a fantastic mod out for arma 2 CO
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104514

Great advice! Tried it and one of the weak points of OPF/ARMA has always been a bit weak sounds. This definitely fixes that!

Tvrdi
05-14-2011, 09:21 PM
ww2 MOD (eastfront, not free) on ARMA2 OA engine....in the works...

http://www.deepsilver.com/en/game-view/view/game/accessall/iron-front/

whoarmongar
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
If you have just got into OA again theres some AI mods that I recomend.may I add I only ever play OA online CoOp.
The UPSMONS script mod is kinda a follow on to the old grouplink mod in OFP its great. For example each Ai group will spawn randomly within thier assigned patrol area(s) but can be radiolinked together so they "talk" to each other. So if one group spots you they can call in other groups as reinforcments, they will use any empty vehicles for transport and if you link a chopper to the group it can get really hairy. also you can link artillery to the groups too.
For example in a mission approaching a enemy town we were spotted and engaged by an enemy patrol that then retreated, but they called in a spetz squad in a chopper that landed behind use and then the chopper engaged us as this spetz squad hunted us, meanwhile the original squad then reingaged us.
Also the zeus ai script is worth a look, The ai have less lazer vision in woods plus various other tweaks.
My main point of this is All of these fabulous mods and addons available in Arma2/OA were created by the addon comunity all beavering away to produce there own little bit of excelence in an ever expanding universe in Arma, within two weeks of OA being launched addons and mods were appearing as all these people ported across there stuff from arma and arma2. The result is a game that has an excedingly long shelf life (we still have a popular OFP server)and one that is ever evolving and improving.
This is not possible yet with Cliffs of Dover due to the Steam anti cheat thingy. at the moment all future fixes patches mods and improvements will have to be done by the developers alone this will stilt creativity and development of this sim.
Sorry to go on but Arma2/OA and flight sims are both things I like, I guess what I really want is a Cliffs of dover type flight sim within an Arma type game with the vast maps of a flight sim all online with loads of people playing. My guess is it may be possible quite soon.

el0375
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
the only thing i want to do is to be able to merge my retail version of arma 2 + Operation arrohead. I need to run first the arma 2 as administrator, then install arrowhead, run as admin and then update?
Anyways i like it so much, although you need to spend serious tiem at familiarizin, this genre compared to COD is like comparing teh kindergarden with a high level highschool

jt_medina
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Here the links for the Urban Patrol Script and UPSMON mentioned above.

http://kronzky.info/ups/index.htm
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=91696

Gromic
05-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the info chaps. Just about to order combined ops via amazon. Cheaper than steam with free freight.

cheers.

*Buzzsaw*
05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Salute

I always enjoyed Operation Flashpoint for the accuracy of the infantry weapons modelling and the (comparative to other FPS) large size of the maps, but the AI routines and their accuracy had me shaking my head.

And from what I understand from reading the reviews of Arma 2, the AI are just as poorly modelled. Run around in circles like morons and get shot, or suddenly hit you from incredible distances.

The only reason I would play Arma 2 would be if it is possible to have a strictly human versus human situation, but from what I understand, its always humans versus AI.

And the flight modelling in the game is a joke from all the reviews I have seen, it certainly IS NOT a flight sim. In fact they don't do their tank modelling very well, far too easy to knock out AFV's.

And the maps are TINY compared to IL-2 or CoD.

mazex
05-14-2011, 10:51 PM
the only thing i want to do is to be able to merge my retail version of arma 2 + Operation arrohead. I need to run first the arma 2 as administrator, then install arrowhead, run as admin and then update?
Anyways i like it so much, although you need to spend serious tiem at familiarizin, this genre compared to COD is like comparing teh kindergarden with a high level highschool

I had the original ARMA2 (first DVD release by 505 games), then bought Arrowhead on Steam. When I started Arrowhead via Steam it immediately gave me the option to launch Combined Operations (and no, I did not buy the combo pack).

whoarmongar
05-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Salute

I always enjoyed Operation Flashpoint for the accuracy of the infantry weapons modelling and the (comparative to other FPS) large size of the maps, but the AI routines and their accuracy had me shaking my head.

And from what I understand from reading the reviews of Arma 2, the AI are just as poorly modelled. Run around in circles like morons and get shot, or suddenly hit you from incredible distances.

The only reason I would play Arma 2 would be if it is possible to have a strictly human versus human situation, but from what I understand, its always humans versus AI.

And the flight modelling in the game is a joke from all the reviews I have seen, it certainly IS NOT a flight sim. In fact they don't do their tank modelling very well, far too easy to knock out AFV's.

And the maps are TINY compared to IL-2 or CoD.

Total bollocks WTF do reviewers know ? They look at a game on release and never look again.
TRUST ME A FULLY MODDED AND LATEST PATCH AI Arma/OA is awesome. Its true IMHO the choppers and armour is too vulnerable due to "gameplay" adjustments and the flight modelling isnt perfect but its pretty damn good and with the detail available you cant expect the maps to be as large as il2.
Human v human is perfectly possible, but its the net and people cheat . therefore most people play coop but this only reinforces the fact that the ai cant be to bad can it otherwise coop would not be any fun.
If you dont have the game or dont play it dont comment on reviews or heresay. Your dissin my first love man, anI aint havin it you hear?

mazex
05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Total bollocks WTF do reviewers know ? They look at a game on release and never look again.
TRUST ME A FULLY MODDED AND LATEST PATCH AI Arma/OA is awesome.

I'm pretty sure we will be saying the same about CoD in a year or two if the reviewers don't give CoD a fair chance and review the game that gets released on the US launch! Arma2 was almost as buggy as CoD on the release but they sure fixed it good!

jojimbo
05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
invasion 1944 is an awesome mod, they have loads of aircraft too, check out the german junkers paratroop transport:grin:

whoarmongar
05-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Arma2 was never as bad as CoD. however Arma was horrible I just couldnt play it an stuck with OFP.
Bohemia and maddox have similarities, both relativly small eastern europe developers with niche sims that are outstanding leaders in their respective fields, I just wish maddox were more attuned to the "western" market bohemia just seem more tuned in.
My fear is that CoD becomes another arma, a follow on to a highly successful predecesor that ultimatley failed., yet Arma2 was what Arma should have been.

TwistedAdonis
05-15-2011, 08:02 AM
I bought Arma2 because of COD as it was on steam and I had a new PC for COD. I love COD and contrary to most of the whiners here I feel I got my moneys worth with COD but not with ArmaII.

Why? Because the single player mode is a joke. I'm talking stock install here.

It should be called run around watching your AI team mates kill everyone that you can't see and then get killed while hiding in the grass via a headshot from a BMP that is driving 500 metres away at full speed.

Frustrating as $%#@! The BMPs are insane, they are like the terminator, the speed they will find you and kill you in seconds its just nuts, how did they ever release it like that?

I loved Operation Flashpoint but it also had crazy AI. They just have super vision and it really spoils it in terms of realism. I guess MP is where it's at with this. I often make my AI team hold and do everything single handed as they just attract too much attention with their bumbling or they kill everyone before I have a chance.

The graphics are lovely and it has it's moments but I think you need to mod and download, the stock install is lacking.

All sorts of problems that Operation Flashpoint had continue in Arma2, for instance when an AI enemy is in the middle of an action he will complete that action even if you shoot him. So lets say he's just climbing over a fence, you shoot him in the head he wont' go down till you shoot him when he's finished. I could go on all day about other frustrating elements of the game.

I also got Operation Arrowhead with it, and the campaign should be called, run around watching your AI team kill everything as well. I stopped when I was ordered to run from the airfield to one hamlet and then to the other and couldn't get a shot off as my AI team killed everyone at distances where I couldn't even see the enemy or IFF it. I felt more like a reporter than a team member.

Ahhh COD you are worth so much more. :)

How long have you had it? What difficulty level are you playing at? On easy, enemies show on the map. You can also order your squad to hold fire if you need to (space/hold fire).
I agree that the Ai can be crazy at times, but it sounds like you may need to better familiarise yourself with the command interface.

Apologies if you're an old hand at the game.

Hellbender
05-15-2011, 10:54 AM
The AI on lower or moderate skill levels is much more realistic and can´t see through bushes (!!!) but through grass (what you can´t in 1st person mode).

Additionally, there are AI mods like ZeusAI, which make the AI using opincer and flanking maneuvers, usage of smokes to cover themselves, covering fire etc.
The more complex the AI is performing, the more CPU power it eats. With a dual core you can have serious problems in contrast to a Quad core which can spare one single CPU just for AI calculations. The more complex you wanna have your AI the more CPU calculation it needs. The ArmA 2 AI is an open world AI and stands in no contrast to limited environments like Battlefield, Call of Duty Crysis etc.

131st_Impact
05-15-2011, 02:02 PM
i must say that i agree with the frustration part. where it was mentioned seeing through long grass and other things. i played a mission where i sniped a guy at night time. the men started running about. then a heli came over dropped off 4 men that then started searching for me but never actually found me before i killed them all. but then u would get shot from miles away in other parts of the game. didnt make sence and yes flashpoint is the same. but u cant compare these to cod or crysis moh. u put 2 teams 15 men to a team and go to war on arma and u can have some fun.
infact i have steam i dont have arma linked to it though ile have to figure that out.

jt_medina
05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Arma has to be played in a very different way we'd play call of duty or any other shooter. Arma is 15 min of calm and 5 min of rush where you have no idea where bullets are coming from and this is basically the point of Arma you hear someone is shooting at you but the only thing you can see is how bullets bounce close to you while you are trying to stay low.
The AI can be disappointing sometimes, but overall Arma is the best of the best in tactical shooters. Not to mention that the mission editor allows us to create quick missions in minutes.

By the way people shouldn't really take reviews too seriously. The best that anyone can do is to install the game and try it for himself.

Warhound
06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Apparently there is a new trend of making games Free these days, so following ROF's F2P model arma 2 just went the same route.

http://www.arma2.com/free

Just fear for (even) more cheaters now that they won't have to buy cd-keys after a ban.

Hecke
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
well, it's a fairly down sized version of the real thing though.

Buchon
06-10-2011, 03:05 AM
ArmA 3 in game video from E3 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8hWxgFMfY

KeBrAnTo
06-10-2011, 05:37 AM

Hi,

I play ArmA 2 at full m8 :grin:

Ltbear
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
http://ofp.gamepark.cz/invasion1944/public/index.php?PHPSESSID=bc6dcb7cb4bccf5fb2a2da345331c1 d9&

that gives me a ton of fun......