PDA

View Full Version : whats the diffrence in mow and mow assault spuad?

totalwar13
05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
it seem the same sort of whats the diffrence?:(

CzaD
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Have you played any of them?

totalwar13
05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
well yes i played men of war alot
not really played assault sq much

hadezcro
05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
assault squad is several times better in multiplayer and it got skirmish where you can buy your own army while attacking enemy AI positions

CzaD
05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
SP:
MoW comes form a long and excellent tradition of missions dating back to famous games like Desperados and Commandos. It not only does a great job at keeping the great tradition alive but also improves upon it and gives new dimensions to the game: like large scale battles, squad combat and lots of new units and weapons. RT is another great addition to the genre and MoW Vietnam looks really exciting too.

AS skirmish missions is a great mystery. It is neither a skirmish nor a mission. It puts the game somewhere between CoH and MoW. It still has the fun micro of MoW and amazing looking maps but it is a shame that it is so repetitive and dull and the flag points are too arcade for my taste.

MP:

I played equal amount of games in both MoW and AS and all I can say is that none of them is better. They are just different. MoW reminds me more of a night combat and AS is more of a day combat. MoW is a lot more surprising and you need to keep your eyes open for the enemy, esp, for elite infantry, scouts and kamikaze. The AS Goliath, which is one of the most useless hero units in the game, would be seriously OP in MoW. What I like in MoW is that tank combat is a lot more exciting coz the heart of tank tactics is flanking and avoiding direct clash and you will see that a lot in MoW but it is so bloody hard to flank in AS. You have to wait for the moment when your opponent is busy with microing something else and use the momentary lack of attention to get closer to fire APCR.

AS is more straightforward. You can easily see the enemy so your tactics depend on direct confrontation and firepower. You set up your initial positions, sandbags are in frequent use, and try provide enough firepower combining MG/HMG,tank and artillery to help you to push forward and move your frontline. You can’t use deception and surprise tactics as much.

One of the most striking differences you will see in 1 on 1 matches. In MoW 1 on 1 is a pretty exciting, fast paced game in which you will see lots of different units and consequently tactics. AS 1 on 1 games, on the other hand, are a lot slower and you will see a lot less different units ( in a good even game, you won’t see a heavy tank). At the start it is all about MG/HMG spam coz they are a lot deadlier than in MoW and due to the increased FoV it is easy to decimate squads with them. AS is more suited for 2 on 2 + games.

I enjoy both games. It is good that they are different. But for me, MoW hold the edge because of the fact that I prefer games that offer me a lot more tactical opportunities. When I came back to AS a few days ago, I immediately started missing the big variety of choices you have for the opening move that MoW gives you. In MoW a lot tactics also come from the flexibility and usefulness of most units: like scouts with bazookas can be really dangerous and help you win the game; and artillery can do a very good job at killing enemy infantry and soft targets as well as suppressing or, if lucky, damaging or even killing enemy tanks. Katyusha is simply brutal in MoW but it remains unviable in AS.

totalwar13
05-15-2011, 01:03 AM
nice reply
yeah the graphics are better
it dose seem diffrent
not sure which one i like more
wot is rs?
ive played commandos and despardos love them game back in the day
lookinf foward to vietnam
love men of war best ww2 game out

rossw
05-15-2011, 02:31 AM
SP: What I like in MoW is that tank combat is a lot more exciting coz the heart of tank tactics is flanking and avoiding direct clash and you will see that a lot in MoW but it is so bloody hard to flank in AS. You have to wait for the moment when your opponent is busy with microing something else and use the momentary lack of attention to get closer to fire APCR.

AS is more straightforward. You can easily see the enemy so your tactics depend on direct confrontation and firepower. You set up your initial positions, sandbags are in frequent use, and try provide enough firepower combining MG/HMG,tank and artillery to help you to push forward and move your frontline. You can’t use deception and surprise tactics as much.

MoW hold the edge because of the fact that I prefer games that offer me a lot more tactical opportunities. When I came back to AS a few days ago, I immediately started missing the big variety of choices you have for the opening move that MoW gives you. In MoW a lot tactics also come from the flexibility and usefulness of most units: like scouts with bazookas can be really dangerous and help you win the game; and artillery can do a very good job at killing enemy infantry and soft targets as well as suppressing or, if lucky, damaging or even killing enemy tanks. Katyusha is simply brutal in MoW but it remains unviable in AS.

I disagree. I spend a lot of my time playing Assault Squad flanking, using tactics intended to decieve my opponent and generally messing about with the wide range of units available. A Valentine is a fun counter to a Pz IV G for example. Yesterday evening I killed a Hetzer with a Dodge WC-55 when it was distracted by my tank elsewhere. If the gane were a skugfest between heavy tanks I wouldn't play it.

One of my favourite things in Assault squad as compared to Men of War is that stealth is still a viable option, but it isn't piss easy any more. You have to put some thought into it. This makes for a much more fun game in my opinion. You can't leave your flanks unguarded, but you also don't have to worry about infiltrators sneaking through the 10 yard gap between your men.

That and ANZACs. With their marvellous hats. And the Churchill Crocodile. Or AVRE. (I play as the British a lot as I find their units very enjoyable to use)

SpeedWolf
05-15-2011, 03:32 AM
SP:
I enjoy both games. It is good that they are different. But for me, MoW hold the edge because of the fact that I prefer games that offer me a lot more tactical opportunities. When I came back to AS a few days ago, I immediately started missing the big variety of choices you have for the opening move that MoW gives you.

Agree they are different but in the end of the day the game i play is MoW. not CoH oh sorry i mean MoW:AS ;)

CzaD
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
RS or RT? RT stands for Red Tide.

At rossw,

I like Brits too. But I like MoW Brits more. They can be really strong if you play them right. 25 pounders are simply great in the early and middle game: cheap meaning they come soon, fast rate of fire (2 of them can fire continuous barrages of a shell every 3 seconds) easy to manage coz of their 360 degrees rotation. What I like about them is that they behave as awesome field guns and not as howitzers. Plus, UK has got a turtle meaning together with Centurions they really can hold their ground in the late game even when playing with high resources.

As far as stealth in MoW is concerned, I would agree that it is generally easier to sneak infantry behind enemy lines dues to shorter FoV. However, in a good MoW game stealth is something that you earn with your superior infantry tactics. If you manage to win infantry combat on the left or right side that means you see a lot more than your enemy and that provides benefits for your tanks, esp fast tank destroyers. In AS there is a lot fewer struggles over who can see more on the map coz one soldier reveals enough. Plus, one thing that I hate in AS is the long shots. High velocity + good accuracy + increased FoV = the ability to easily shoot out of the max range and kill expensive tank destroyers like Nashorn.

And yes there are a wide variety of unit available but don’t forget that:

- AS vehicles and weapons cost a lot more and that’s why players go for most viable options.
- AT tanks have an increasing CP cost, which means tactics that would combine heavy and medium tanks would cost too much CP and unbalance your whole army too much, not to mention the high MP cost.
- High CP cost of heavy tanks (40 or 50CP) seriously effects your army composition in the late game. In MoW all tanks have 12CP.
- The MoW USSR opening see all types of infantry including elite infantry, majority of light tanks, both versions of t34 and two tank destroyers. And what is the Soviet opening in AS? Because of big variety MoW opening is a lot more dynamic and fun, esp on huge maps.
- Some fraction can enjoy early tank tactics just because DMS decided to make their light tanks super cheap.

rossw
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
So you've bought Assault Squad then?

I don't understand what you're saying about the Nashorn.

Units may cost more, but I go for things that are fun. It's a game not a competition. Very few units are not worth getting.

Heavy tanks having a high CP cost is fantastic. They should be a massive investment.

What is the Soviet opening in AS? Assault/Regular infantry? As opposed to Rifle squad/SMG squad?

All factions have light tanks and armoured cars. Most are capable of destroying each other

CzaD
05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
I like your attitude. I also focus on fun rather than on winning. That’s why I like playing random games and I can’t be bothered with ranked games.

What I mean about Nashorn is that Nashorn is very fragile TD; it doesn’t take much to kill it. And you should know by now that by shooting at haystacks or trees you can exceed the max range and target fragile but big targets like Nashorn, which are in the general direction of the shot. In AS, it can be done a lot easier due to high velocity and accuracy of guns and increased FoV.

And I focus on the opening, which is let’s say the first 10 seconds of the game. I am simply stating a fact that MoW gives you a lot more choices. It doesn't make AS a worse game, just different, btw. I don't mind infantry combat in the opening.

rossw
05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
The Nashorn is very fragile, so you keep it out of the way.

What would you get in MoW instead of infantry to open?

And does this mean you've actually bought Assault Squad?

CzaD
05-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes, I own a copy of AS. But I must say, because of so many crashes it still feels like beta to me. Today I hosted 3 games, one crashed.

Have you played MoW enough to get to know it? If you have, you should see how others like to open their games. If you haven't, play some games with 1000+ games guys. And you should see that infantry is very often not the choice.

totalwar13
05-16-2011, 12:48 AM
i have played AS alot more now it is a really good game
i do like both tho
there are less heavy tank spawn now which is better
more inf based combat:)

rossw
05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Yes, I own a copy of AS. But I must say, because of so many crashes it still feels like beta to me. Today I hosted 3 games, one crashed.

Have you played MoW enough to get to know it? If you have, you should see how others like to open their games. If you haven't, play some games with 1000+ games guys. And you should see that infantry is very often not the choice.

I have played several games in both. I don't see how the choices are different. You can still take the risk of a non-infantry opener in AS, but you take the risk of losing a lot more than you gain.

CzaD
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
You really need to play MoW some more. In both games, you can open the game with anything, even with KT if you like. But the most important thing here is TIMING. You don't want to be delayed for too long coz you are giving free points to your enemy. I am looking at the first 5 second of the game. In MoW I can buy T34 in the fist second of the game and attempt to deny the enemy middle ground till my infantry arrives. You don't have this option in AS, and many others like Jeep towing AT-gun, Royal Marines, T70, ZSU-37, BA-11, T-26.

Only Japan in AS can open with a cheap tank straight away and this is my fav opening for Japs. I rush the tank to the middle flag, take one crew member out and hide him in the bush on hold fire to provide LoS for my tank that waits with HE shells loaded in the anticipation for the first wave of enemy infantry. After buying the tank I buy single SMGs and MGs to take the flag and prepare the defenses.

Unlike in AS, this opening tactics are not fraction specific in MoW. I can choose to open like thatwith any fraction in MoW. It is up to the MoW players which tactics they want to go for in the opening because they are less restricted by the game design. So you will see many different openings in the MoW depending on the map and that makes the game interesting and less predictable.

As to the heavy tank spam, well, I play 350 no refund most of the times. Banking for KingTiger is not the best strategy but I saw some KTs in games like that too. It largely depends on the size of the map and number of players. Having said that I killed lots of TKs too and it can be done more easily in MoW than in AS for many reasons:

- AS has got increased field of view which prevents many flanking maneuvers with tanks and surprise infantry assaults;
- the AS KT is harder to kill from the side; many penetrations result in crew injury only;
- the AS KT is still operational with hull and turret damaged and denies the area in front of him;
- the AS artillery is very unlikely to be able to suppress it or immobilize it.
- some AS fractions lack heavy tanks that would counter KT: like Turtle or T-29.

rossw
05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't think I have to play MoW any more than I already have. When I did play it I had success opening with armour, but much more with infantry. I makes more sense as an opener, against an opponent with any skill unsupported armour will not pay for itself.

I don't get your problem with the increased visibility in AS. If you hide things, they are difficult to spot. If you race a tank across an open field it isn't. This makes sense. It is still easy to flank but you have to do it properly