PDA

View Full Version : feeling of speed

revi
11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi, When I sit in my cockpit screaming past an object at 500kmh (either on the ground or in the air),I dont get a feeling of speed. I still find a pocket of my mind having to imagine how fast I am travelling (relative to that object). When I drive home from work on the open road, the world in my peripheral vision is blurred. I wonder if it was possible to have a scalable version of this kind of "effect" as an option. Maybe it could be linked to Track IR also, so the blurring occurs around you focal point???
That way when I pull 9G's at the apex trying to out dive my opponent the corners of my eyes are telling me I am TRAVELLING!!
Does anybody understand me??

SlipBall
11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't know, it seems very well done to me. The blur that you speak of in your car, is because the object is so close to you. When you are running down for takeoff, look to the side, and then back, or pass by a object very close to your aircraft, and look to the side, and back...I have a pilots licence and when up in the air, the feeling of speed is almost sureal....its all just related to your distance from a object

Zoom2136
11-16-2007, 03:26 PM
The feel for speed you are talking about is only noticable at low altitude (read tree top level)... as your mind as a reference point on which to "measure" the spped you are travelling...

At altitude you have no such reference point so including this is useless...

Just an exemple of this concept... have you ever raced a cart... you a sitting maybe 3 inches of the groud... so when you are going 100kph (60mph) you feel you are actually going way faster...

Compare this to travelling at 100kph in a bus... you "feel" as if you could walk beside it... when looking forward I mean... as you are higher from the reference point... the road

Also have you been on a airliner... 750kph at altitude and feels like you are moving slow...

Corpse Grinder
11-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Sounds like someone needs a ride in a Cessna 150! :lol:

BSS_Sniper
11-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I never really paid attention to the feeling of speed down low in the sim. One thing I've noticed, however, is that 1000 feet does not feel like a 1000 feet in the sim. It feels very low as compared to real life.

proton45
11-16-2007, 10:22 PM
simulating speed with visual cues (like blur) is a good idea...but I would also like to see (and hear) the fighter react to high RPM and speed stress. It would be really cool to feel the fighter shake and hear creeks and rattles as the fighter strains in a high speed dive...

Triad773
11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I think maybe it is a limitation of the game engine. Consider its incept date and look at other games around I think one all needs to do to realize it is a sign of the dated nature of the game engine. I am sure that BoB:SOW will be the next leap forward.

GT Legends is a game that I crank up once in a while and tho a racing game gives an excellent feeling of speed on the ground and is years newer.

Just my 2 cents

ElAurens
11-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Ever looked out the window of an airliner as it moves through the sky at 500 odd mph? Looks like you are standing still doesn't it?

Arcade visual cues belong on console games...

revi
11-18-2007, 12:30 AM
thanks for all your thoughts, I know what you all mean by flying at altitude there is no that surreal feeling of speed. Perhaps only ripping thru a cloud for a moments white-out and being buffeted for a second might give the feeling of speed. It is down low that I really dont feel it.
If the reader that commented about 1000m not feeling like 1000m, could elaborate some more that would be appreciated.
Interesting quote ElAurens. Thanks everyone.